PS4 controller: (clickable?) touchpad + share button + dualshock

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

I'm really liking Sony's PS4 controller ideas.

PS4 controller: (clickable?) touchpad + share button + dualshock

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vitas rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

"British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

#2 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2599 posts) -

Yea I'm curious about it too.

#3 Posted by Gue1 (10197 posts) -

you really have no idea how many times this has been posted in such a short period of time.  lol

#4 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
damn dude. Just go ask a mod for a sticky already
#5 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -
It would be cool if they let you chose what controller you use whether a mouse and keyboard or regular controller.
#6 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
More expensive controllers, great.
#7 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

More expensive controllers, great.SaltyMeatballs

More expensive, no! Just you being butthurt, yes!

I think it will be great for on-line browsing, and can be used on RTS games !!!

#8 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Nothing original to see here.
#9 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

I hope it isn't clickable. Reminds me of the Blackberry Storm, with the clickable screen *shudders*

#10 Posted by HeHateMe_basic (7159 posts) -
cool i guess?
#11 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
That doesn't sound too bad. As long as it's cheap.
#12 Posted by clr84651 (5486 posts) -

Believe nothing unless Sony announces it. Talking about possibilites is all this is. 

#13 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Holy f*ck, dude. Give the new topic button a rest.

#14 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]More expensive controllers, great.DISSESHOWEDO

Not more expensive?
#15 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9834 posts) -
i dont care, i just hope they'll let us use the DS3 on the PS4, cuz thats what I want to be using....
#16 Posted by TrooperManaic (3747 posts) -

Maybe this http://www.yourdailymedia.com/post/tablet-turns-itself-lumpy#tPT02CJXtUeOtd3z.01 

#17 Posted by Sphensen (769 posts) -

seems pointless

#18 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

It makes sense. 

#19 Posted by blackace (20886 posts) -
I'm wondering if all these touch screens will cause problems when playing regular games. I hope there are ways to turn them off. I don't even think the touch screen feature is needed. This is probably why they removed rumble, to get the touch screens to work. I hope they've tightened the analog sticks and fixed the trigger buttons.
#20 Posted by RR360DD (11988 posts) -
The share button sounds stupid. Not really happy about them once again regurgitating the dualshock design, even with the extra bells and whistles.
#21 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

The share button sounds stupid. Not really happy about them once again regurgitating the dualshock design, even with the extra bells and whistles. RR360DD
so.. you don't like being able to record games and take screen shots? and if you want to you can go back and edit them then upload online? yea sounds pretty stupid.

edit: i dont even know why i asked you that question. pretty sure nothing sony does will impress you

#22 Posted by RR360DD (11988 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]The share button sounds stupid. Not really happy about them once again regurgitating the dualshock design, even with the extra bells and whistles. ultraking
so.. you don't like being able to record games and take screen shots? and if you want to you can go back and edit them then upload online? yea sounds pretty stupid.

Glad you agree :D

#23 Posted by RR360DD (11988 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]The share button sounds stupid. Not really happy about them once again regurgitating the dualshock design, even with the extra bells and whistles. ultraking

edit: i dont even know why i asked you that question. pretty sure nothing sony does will impress you

Their rumoured specs for the PS4 impress me
#24 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

RR360DD , do you not record any of the games of halo you play?

edit: legit question as i have no knowledge of halo but i was under the impression you could record games

#25 Posted by Heil68 (45152 posts) -
sounds fabulous.
#26 Posted by RR360DD (11988 posts) -
RR360DD , do you not record any of the games of halo you play?ultraking
Well halo records games automatically but no, never bother to use it. Never used it in uncharted either. I guess its cool for people who like that stuff, but dedicating a button to it on the controller just seems like overkill
#27 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
[QUOTE="ultraking"]RR360DD , do you not record any of the games of halo you play?RR360DD
Well halo records games automatically but no, never bother to use it. Never used it in uncharted either. I guess its cool for people who like that stuff, but dedicating a button to it on the controller just seems like overkill

I can understand that
#28 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

When they say the same size, do they mean it's an exact copy of the Dualshock with a touchpad or are they saying it's approximately the same size, but the controller has been slightly redesigned? Because the Dualshock as it is right now is so uncomfortable for me to hold... hopefully this isn't true. 

#29 Posted by 2Chalupas (5157 posts) -
I like the share feature. I would never buy an external card or spend money on it, but if it's actually built into the system it would be cool for "highlights" from shooter games like Battlefield or whatever. Obviously it would be pretty useless for anyone looking to do a walkthrough video or anything like that (unless this feature includes an easier way to share it to your computer than buying one of those overpriced "capture" cards).
#30 Posted by 2Chalupas (5157 posts) -

When they say the same size, do they mean it's an exact copy of the Dualshock with a touchpad or are they saying it's approximately the same size, but the controller has been slightly redesigned? Because the Dualshock as it is right now is so uncomfortable for me to hold... hopefully this isn't true. 

Vari3ty

To me it's only an adjustment to go from 360 controller to PS3 controller, it's not a radical change or anything unfortable. The 360 controller was an adjustment for me to make as well, due to the slightly different analog placements. At first the 360 controller actually made me uncomfortable (playing an intense shooter, or a driving game where you have to keep the triggers pressed) and my thumbs actually hurt from the different placements. But I got used to it. It's not like it's a major difference. I think it works both ways in that going from one controller to the other is an adjustment, but once you get going you don't even think about it. At least that's the way it is with me.

I honestly hope they don't do anything radically different with the Dualshock. They could TWEAK the ergonomics, but as the basics I still want the dual analog sticks in the same placement and the button layout to be essentially the same. The touchpad sounds good to me, I was expecting them to maybe go the "OLED screen" route ala Nintendo (not necessarily a tablet, but at least a small screen and radically different controller) and I'm not sure how I would have felt about that. I wouldn't mind if they change up the triggers from the DS3 a little bit either, they could probably do something to upgrade those. But as far as the dual sticks I slightly prefer the symmetry of the DS3 sticks vs the staggered design on the 360 controller. 

#31 Posted by PSP107 (11908 posts) -
That doesn't sound too bad. As long as it's cheap.Cherokee_Jack
DS3 controllers are still $54.99 anyway, this touchpad/share button sounds lame.
#32 Posted by sailor232 (4821 posts) -

In game video recording normally hits the FPS, wonder how Sony will deal with this? keep the games looking slightly better to utilise the power for video capture?

#33 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

well thank god.

just the other day i was wishing it could be even easier for  millions of people put up 30 second snippets of the most unimportant shyt in the world on the internet.

#34 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
Doesn't interest me.. I just want to play games, I don't care about sharing everything on social networking sites.
#35 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

wait i got another one.

the new button on the ps4 controller will automatically and instantly send all your personal information directly to hackers.

this will not slow down your gameplay at all  and make it more streamlined and efficient to have all your information handed over to 3rd parties. 

:P

#36 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]That doesn't sound too bad. As long as it's cheap.PSP107
DS3 controllers are still $54.99 anyway, this touchpad/share button sounds lame.

can find them for $40 online w/ free shipping.
#37 Posted by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultraking"]RR360DD , do you not record any of the games of halo you play?RR360DD

This is the most logical thing you've ever said. There's hope for you yet!

#38 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

$74.99 controllers will be in order here ,   don't say i didnt warn you , 

the ps3 360 controllers are already at 55 to 60 depending on bundling of other stuff ie play and charge kits for 360 or chatpads , 

or specail colors

---------------

wiiu controller pros range from 39.99 to 49.99 )  39.99 is for the snes retro looking ones  and 49.99 for nintendos 

and the thing with the 39.99 is it can work for wii games , , so its a plus over nintendos but you get the point  ,  

ms and sony charge ten dollars more then nintendo 

#39 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -
I wonder what cows will do next gen when direct feed screenshots can be taken in games and not the touched up high resolution bullshots that float around currently.
#40 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
I wonder what cows will do next gen when direct feed screenshots can be taken in games and not the touched up high resolution bullshots that float around currently.BPoole96
Number 2 reason why they wouldn't do it. Number 1 being that it's stupid.
#41 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

sounds fabulous.Heil68

As fabulous as this? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3kDfLWWL6U

#42 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I wonder what cows will do next gen when direct feed screenshots can be taken in games and not the touched up high resolution bullshots that float around currently.Cherokee_Jack

I like taking videos/pictures of the games I play with fraps :3
#43 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]I wonder what cows will do next gen when direct feed screenshots can be taken in games and not the touched up high resolution bullshots that float around currently.BPoole96

The dedicated button is the stupid part. A system-level screen capture would be cool.
#44 Posted by milannoir (1558 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]More expensive controllers, great.DISSESHOWEDO

Man, then you must love the WiiU's gamepad if you're consistent. Let's be serious, if this rumour is true, the controller WILL be expensive. I'm not talking about it being crap or great, here, just saying it's gonna cost significantly more than a dualshock.

#45 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] Number 2 reason why they wouldn't do it. Number 1 being that it's stupid.Cherokee_Jack

The dedicated button is the stupid part. A system-level screen capture would be cool.

If your playing an online game and all of a sudden you have a "OH SH!T" moment, wouldn't it be so much simpler to just tap a button that will instantly record it?

#46 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21781 posts) -
Just let me use the DS3 on PS4 and i'm good.
#47 Posted by o0squishy0o (2764 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] I like taking videos/pictures of the games I play with fraps :3Blazerdt47

If your playing an online game and all of a sudden you have a "OH SH!T" moment, wouldn't it be so much simpler to just tap a button that will instantly record it?

I can't remember many times when playing games that when an awesome moment happens, I think "quick I need to press a button to capture this moment". No. I think wow this is awesome... and its over. There is no time to press buttons unless you are going out of your way on purpose to try and create these awesome moments. Also if it is some devine incredibly moment, you should be taken in by it, not thinking "this is pretty cool, I better press record". Thats why most if not al crazy cool things are recorded as they are happening and not just recorded or screenshotted before they happen. So for sure, have a button that can save things, but a constant recording system like fraps or something would be better because it allows the player to be immersed and not on the edge to try and make things happen or looking for things to happen.
#48 Posted by getyeryayasout (7602 posts) -
Concave sticks are not too much to ask for, Sony.
#49 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] The dedicated button is the stupid part. A system-level screen capture would be cool.o0squishy0o

I can't remember many times when playing games that when an awesome moment happens, I think "quick I need to press a button to capture this moment". No. I think wow this is awesome... and its over. There is no time to press buttons unless you are going out of your way on purpose to try and create these awesome moments. Also if it is some devine incredibly moment, you should be taken in by it, not thinking "this is pretty cool, I better press record". Thats why most if not al crazy cool things are recorded as they are happening and not just recorded or screenshotted before they happen. So for sure, have a button that can save things, but a constant recording system like fraps or something would be better because it allows the player to be immersed and not on the edge to try and make things happen or looking for things to happen.

There's no time to press a button? Only takes a sec, which I don't consider going out of my way or loosing immersion in the game.
#50 Posted by PSP107 (11908 posts) -
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]That doesn't sound too bad. As long as it's cheap.handssss

can find them for $40 online w/ free shipping.

thats online. The retail price is $54.99.