"PS4 can render 1080p/60fps with room to spare” -Kojima

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Gue1 (8981 posts) -

“It’s also excellent for graphics, being able to render 1080p at 60fps with room to spare. Since it does it better than other hardware, the image quality of the PS4 is the most beautiful. It’s the closest to the photorealistic quality we are aiming at.” -Kojima

----------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, apparently the Xbone is powerful enough for 1080p/60fps but the DDR3 it's too slow and the esRam too small says Rebellion Games’ Jean-Baptiste Bolcato.

“It was clearly a bit more complicated to extract the maximum power from the Xbox One when you’re trying to do that. I think eSRAM is easy to use. The only problem is…Part of the problem is that it’s just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It’s such a small size within there that we can’t do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.

It means you have to do it in chunks or using tricks, tiling it and so on. It’s a bit like the reverse of the PS3. PS3 was harder to program for than the Xbox 360. Now it seems like everything has reversed but it doesn’t mean it’s far less powerful – it’s just a pain in the ass to start with. We are on fine ground now but the first few months were hell.”

Read more at: http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-ones-esram-too-small-to-output-games-at-1080p-but-will-catch-up-to-ps4-rebellion-games#SBX8QyXmrlJEyBW1.99

#2 Posted by cainetao11 (15569 posts) -

Ok, so the lazy devs excuse can be used then. Cows did it, and this dev says its harder to program for.

#3 Edited by freedomfreak (37958 posts) -

But Forza 5 runs at 1080P@60FPS.

#4 Posted by Krelian-co (9774 posts) -

#5 Posted by clyde46 (43259 posts) -

So what makes the PS4 not run at 1080p60FPS then.

#6 Posted by misterpmedia (3313 posts) -

So much for that stacked SOC and 5TF of performance :/

#7 Edited by tonitorsi (8098 posts) -

In other words ----> confirming what we already know.

Themoreyouknow.gif

#8 Edited by misterpmedia (3313 posts) -

It does, but at great cost.
http://i.imgur.com/FHLgmd2.jpg <--- Exhibit A.

#9 Edited by Strutten (1173 posts) -

@Gue1 Lol dude get a grip seriously, nowhere does he say that facepalm. Only that its more complicated aka ps3 you should read all and not make into a bad article.. and since cows loves gaf i suggest to should take the whole article from there instead.. you only take potions of it, for what? Making x1 look bad ?

But ill do it for ya dude;

Rebellion develops the Sniper games.

Bolcato stated that, “It was clearly a bit more complicated to extract the maximum power from the Xbox One when you’re trying to do that. I think eSRAM is easy to use. The only problem is…Part of the problem is that it’s just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It’s such a small size within there that we can’t do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.

“It means you have to do it in chunks or using tricks, tiling it and so on. It’s a bit like the reverse of the PS3. PS3 was harder to program for than the Xbox 360.Now it seems like everything has reversed but it doesn’t mean it’s far less powerful – it’s just a pain in the ass to start with. We are on fine ground now but the first few months were hell.”

Will the process become easier over time as understanding of the hardware improves? “Definitely, yeah. They are releasing a new SDK that’s much faster and we will be comfortably running at 1080p on Xbox One. We were worried six months ago and we are not anymore, it’s got better and they are quite comparable machines. The Xbox One is a bit more multimedia, a bit more hub-centric so its a bit more complex. There’s stuff you can and can’t do because it’s a sort of multimedia hub. PS4 doesn’t have that. PS4 is just a games machine.”

The PS4 is thus more of a gaming machine in its core focus. “Yeah, I mean that’s probably why, well at least on paper, it’s a bit more powerful. But I think the Xbox One is gonna catch up. But definitely there’s this eSRAM. PS4 has 8GB and it’s almost as fast as eSRAM [bandwidth wise] but at the same time you can go a little bit further with it, because you don’t have this slower memory. That’s also why you don’t have that many games running in 1080p, because you have to make it smaller, for what you can fit into the eSRAM with the Xbox One.

;

only thing they mentioned earlier is that it might run a tad slower (fps wise) some places.. but as drivers and new sdk keeps coming they are not worried..

And yes ps is better as a gaming machine, but you really should considet something new. Just sayin'

Fyi you are bad as a troll. Atleast takr the whole article.

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (37958 posts) -

I've seen some direct feed, uncompressed images, and they look way better than that.

#11 Posted by KittenNose (351 posts) -

When they say a game runs at 60 fps they mean it is consistently at or very near 60 fps. It does not mean a setting is activated to cap the fps at 60 while the game actually averages at or near 50 with dips into the low 30's.

Console gaming doesn't do 60 FPS, even when they bring in fog machines and make sure most of the game happens in caves or hallways. If you want 60 FPS this generation you need a PC, or an incredibly high capacity for self delusion.

#12 Edited by misterpmedia (3313 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@misterpmedia said:

I've seen some direct feed, uncompressed images, and they look way better than that.

Then I'm not sure what to tell you. The lack of AA and 2D crowd are a big give away no matter how you frame it.

edit: btw do you mean photomode?

#13 Posted by freedomfreak (37958 posts) -

Then I'm not sure what to tell you. The lack of AA and 2D crowd are a big give away no matter how you frame it.

I know about the lack of AA and crowds, but that doesn't stop those pictures from being a poor example of how the game looks.

No. No photomode. In-game with a capture card.

#14 Posted by misterpmedia (3313 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

I know about the lack of AA and crowds, but that doesn't stop those pictures from being a poor example of how the game looks.

No. No photomode. In-game with a capture card.

Perhaps that was launch then. Wouldn't be surprised if it's been updated since then to improve some things like visuals. It definitely wasn't E3 build when launched though.

#15 Posted by Shewgenja (7750 posts) -

Yeah, and you're driving through Google Maps with no weather.

#16 Posted by Sagemode87 (763 posts) -

@freedomfreak: and the game doesn't look very good at all. PS3 can do 1080p too of the graphics aren't up to standards. Then again, I'm sure you knew this already.....

#17 Edited by R3FURBISHED (9915 posts) -

@Gue1: Forza 5 runs at that resolution and framerate, therefore the point is null, void and foolish.

They should have just said "We can't make a Xbox One game run at 1080p and 60 FPS due to the RAM."

#18 Posted by lglz1337 (2815 posts) -

secret sauce confirmed

bbut the cloud

#19 Posted by jeffmonster (511 posts) -

and yet........I'm enjoying the hell out of my X1..........ain't that some shit?

#20 Posted by Shewgenja (7750 posts) -

@Gue1: Forza 5 runs at that resolution and framerate, therefore the point is null, void and foolish.

They should have just said "We can't make a Xbox One game run at 1080p and 60 FPS due to the RAM."

No, what they should have said is "A lot of multiplatform developers will need to make unecessary compromises to their games in order to get them to run on the XBone at 1080p 60fps. That would be the truth.

#22 Posted by Sagemode87 (763 posts) -

@freedomfreak: So Forza 5 is the most you'd expect from next gen visuals? The fact that it's the only 1080p game that X1 has should tell you the game isn't hard to pull off. Graphically impressive games on X1 are gonna be stuck at 720p.

#23 Edited by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

Sad but true as we've already seen multi plats fail to keep up. :(

#24 Posted by Chutebox (36057 posts) -

Setting how there are games that are already doing it, combined with it depending on game visuals, pretty darn stupid comment

#25 Edited by R3FURBISHED (9915 posts) -

@Shewgenja: Maybe so. Halo 5 is running at 60 FPS and most likely targeting 1080p, as well as the launch title Forza 5 hit the mark.

My point is that saying the Xbox One can't achieve that resolution and framerate is stupid, mainly because it has already been done.

#26 Edited by freedomfreak (37958 posts) -

Perhaps that was launch then. Wouldn't be surprised if it's been updated since then to improve some things like visuals. It definitely wasn't E3 build when launched though.

I wouldn't know. Just saying the game doesn't look nearly as bad as it does in those pictures.

As for the other individuals, a definite 'no shit, sherlock' to you fellas. Which is why this whole "1080P@60FPS" is nonsense, considering it means very little if the actual game looks unimpressive.

You're already seeing developers giving up on 60FPS to push visual fidelity.

#27 Posted by Strutten (1173 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED: Dude let it go its rabid cows.. even the article is way out of context.. just read the article or my comment above. cows only read topic and jump the gun instant.. they were worried six months ago but not anymore since updates and new sdk.. anyway ps might still be strong overall but this hatred/bashing is way out of hand..

#28 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5655 posts) -

The specs are there for everyone to see. If you choose to ignore them, then thats up to you. But this isn't anything new. The X1 games will still look good, they just wont always be 1080p, or look as sharp as they do on the other console.

#29 Posted by topgunmv (10033 posts) -

So weaker hardware and more difficult to program for.

Win Win situation microsoft has there.

#30 Edited by tymeservesfate (1464 posts) -

did any cows actually read the article yet. this thread is even debunk by the title of the article alone lol:

"Xbox One’s eSRAM Too Small to Output Games At 1080p But Will Catch up to PS4"

not to mention what was said in the actual article:

"Will the process become easier over time as understanding of the hardware improves? “Definitely, yeah. They are releasing a new SDK that’s much faster and we will be comfortably running at 1080p on Xbox One. We were worried six months ago and we are not anymore, it’s got better and they are quite comparable machines. The Xbox One is a bit more multimedia, a bit more hub-centric so its a bit more complex. There’s stuff you can and can’t do because it’s a sort of multimedia hub. PS4 doesn’t have that. PS4 is just a games machine.”"

smh, play fair cows...stop trolling.

#31 Edited by leandrro (655 posts) -

no one buying a cheap ddr3 graphics card should expect running games at decent settings + 60fps and 1080p

why should it be different on consoles?

oh.. the "optimization" sorcery...

#32 Posted by Shewgenja (7750 posts) -

did any cows actually read the article yet. this thread is even debunk by the title of the article alone lol:

"Will the process become easier over time as understanding of the hardware improves? “Definitely, yeah. They are releasing a new SDK that’s much faster and we will be comfortably running at 1080p on Xbox One. We were worried six months ago and we are not anymore, it’s got better and they are quite comparable machines. The Xbox One is a bit more multimedia, a bit more hub-centric so its a bit more complex. There’s stuff you can and can’t do because it’s a sort of multimedia hub. PS4 doesn’t have that. PS4 is just a games machine.”"

I might start calling it the KuturagiBone at this point. You are DCing like a Sony fanboy circa 2006 so hard right now.

#33 Edited by silversix_ (13418 posts) -

Here we go for a whole generation of Xbone titles in 720p/30fps. Praise The Sun!

#34 Posted by tymeservesfate (1464 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

I might start calling it the KuturagiBone at this point. You are DCing like a Sony fanboy circa 2006 so hard right now.

saying what the article actually says is damage controlling? well ur a special kind of stupid aren't you? i didnt even do anything but copy and paste the title and one paragraph...unless you're saying the author and the developer he's interviewing are DCing then i'm not sure what ur going on about lol.

#35 Edited by Strutten (1173 posts) -

@silversix_: Read the article. He is saying that if you read the whole actually that he is certain that x1 will catch up with ps, tho its complicated but with right tools and such it atleast will be alot better as times goes. None of that bs gue spews out is remotely true (beyond me how come, most trolls are here still) i sincerely hope you guys dont react like this outside sw.

#36 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@tymeservesfate said:

saying what the article actually says is damage controlling? well ur a special kind of stupid aren't you? i didnt even do anything but copy and paste the title and one paragraph...unless you're saying the author and the developer he's interviewing are DCing then i'm not sure what ur going on about lol.

You are a DA. All that quote says is basically devs will get more used to the X1 hardware and games in the future will be better "optimized". No shit. The same thing happened with every console before, and will also happen with the PS4.

#37 Posted by cfisher2833 (1446 posts) -

Like I've said before, the success of the XB1 will be entirely dependent on whether or not it call pull a Wii-move and have developers create unique, interesting experiences with Kinect. If not, it's just an underpowered multiplat playing system.

#38 Edited by tormentos (16277 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Ok, so the lazy devs excuse can be used then. Cows did it, and this dev says its harder to program for.

Yes if you which to ignore what he say.

The only problem is…Part of the problem is that it’s just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It’s such a small size within there that we can’t do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.

32MB of ESRAM is to small for 1080p 60FPS unless the assets are low,is the reason why demanding games run at 720p.

@freedomfreak said:

Racing game even the PS3 did that..

@clyde46 said:

So what makes the PS4 not run at 1080p60FPS then.

The same thing that make the 7970 not run at 1080p 60 FPS in certain games,all GPU have a limit.

@Strutten said:

@Gue1 Lol dude get a grip seriously, nowhere does he say that facepalm. Only that its more complicated aka ps3 you should read all and not make into a bad article.. and since cows loves gaf i suggest to should take the whole article from there instead.. you only take potions of it, for what? Making x1 look bad ?

But ill do it for ya dude;

Rebellion develops the Sniper games.

Bolcato stated that, “It was clearly a bit more complicated to extract the maximum power from the Xbox One when you’re trying to do that. I think eSRAM is easy to use. The only problem is…Part of the problem is that it’s just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It’s such a small size within there that we can’t do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.

“It means you have to do it in chunks or using tricks, tiling it and so on. It’s a bit like the reverse of the PS3. PS3 was harder to program for than the Xbox 360.Now it seems like everything has reversed but it doesn’t mean it’s far less powerful – it’s just a pain in the ass to start with. We are on fine ground now but the first few months were hell.”

Will the process become easier over time as understanding of the hardware improves? “Definitely, yeah. They are releasing a new SDK that’s much faster and we will be comfortably running at 1080p on Xbox One. We were worried six months ago and we are not anymore, it’s got better and they are quite comparable machines. The Xbox One is a bit more multimedia, a bit more hub-centric so its a bit more complex. There’s stuff you can and can’t do because it’s a sort of multimedia hub. PS4 doesn’t have that. PS4 is just a games machine.”

The PS4 is thus more of a gaming machine in its core focus. “Yeah, I mean that’s probably why, well at least on paper, it’s a bit more powerful. But I think the Xbox One is gonna catch up. But definitely there’s this eSRAM. PS4 has 8GB and it’s almost as fast as eSRAM [bandwidth wise] but at the same time you can go a little bit further with it, because you don’t have this slower memory. That’s also why you don’t have that many games running in 1080p, because you have to make it smaller, for what you can fit into the eSRAM with the Xbox One.

;

only thing they mentioned earlier is that it might run a tad slower (fps wise) some places.. but as drivers and new sdk keeps coming they are not worried..

And yes ps is better as a gaming machine, but you really should considet something new. Just sayin'

Fyi you are bad as a troll. Atleast takr the whole article.

“It was clearly a bit more complicated to extract the maximum power from the Xbox One when you’re trying to do that. I think eSRAM is easy to use. The only problem is…Part of the problem is that it’s just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It’s such a small size within there that we can’t do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.

ESRAM is easy to use but is not enough period,doing tiling is a problem and is the reason why almost all xbox 360 games don't have 4xAA and 720p like MS advertise before launch of the xbox 360 10MB was to small for 4xAA with 720p so they have to tile,the end result we already know it almost all games on xbox 360 don't have 4XAA even that MS advertise it that way before launch.

So yeah all generation long the xbox one will struggle with 1080p not only is weaker than the PS4 but also has a limitation ESRAM size this is not new it has been say for almost 1 year now,and MS and people refuse to admit it,hell Ronvalencia even argue 32MB was enough for 1080p when it clearly isn't.

Most developers will just not care and will not go for all that trouble,because in the end no matter what the xbox one would still be weaker period because it has a gap in power a considerable one.

The PS4 bandwidth is faster than ESRAM,ESRAM has has 140Gb/s to 150GB/s that is what can be achieve realistic stated by MS it self,and i am sure that number is the very best scenario,that will not always be the case.

There is no catching up and only a true blind fanboy will believe other wise,the xbox one if it had the same bandwidth the PS4 had would do 1080p but always do so slower because that is a limitation imposed by having a weaker GPU and there is no work around to fix that there is no catching up.

Here the xbox one GPU when the 8% is unlock will have the same performance of the 7770,the PS4 is a little stronger than a 7850,look at the difference between both cards,is 13 FPS with the same effects,the difference now between the PS4 and xbox one in that game is 21 FPS and in some points 30 FPS,while also having better textures,better effects to.

The gap is not going away.

#39 Posted by silversix_ (13418 posts) -

@Strutten said:

@silversix_: Read the article. He is saying that if you read the whole actually that he is certain that x1 will catch up with ps, None of that bs gue spews out is remotely true (beyond me how come, most trolls are here still) i sincerely hope you guys dont react like this outside sw.

It won't catch up. Do you know what an HD7770 is? There's not progress. The only thing that will happen is PS4 surpassing the Bone even more than it is now. The Order. Watch for The Order lol in the first year pas4 will already have a title that isn't possible on the bone... imagine in 3 years.

#40 Posted by Strutten (1173 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie: Which was the point ? That gue just took the article way out of context .. nowhere in the article does he say as topic..

#41 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12640 posts) -
#42 Posted by freedomfreak (37958 posts) -
#43 Posted by Strutten (1173 posts) -
#44 Posted by tymeservesfate (1464 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@Shewgenja said:

@tymeservesfate said:

You are a DA. All that quote says is basically devs will get more used to the X1 hardware and games in the future will be better "optimized". No shit. The same thing happened with every console before, and will also happen with the PS4.

ok, so why are cows acting as if the XB1 will not achieve 1080p and 60fps(even though it already has) this gen. for lems to get used to the downgrades. i mean...its even insinuated in the title of this thread. ur trying to correct me but havent corrected one cow yet...why is that PinkieWinki baby?

we all know that devs get better with hardware over time. but 3 months in and cows are saying its a wrap for the XB1. i don't see why you guys are on this campaign of 1080p/60fps not being possible for the system. its only going to come back and bite you. the dev in the article even says he got their work comfortably at 1080p already...did ANYBODY read this thing lol??

#45 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12640 posts) -
#46 Edited by freedomfreak (37958 posts) -

"C'mon. At least try."

I feel like telling Turn 10 the same thing, lol.

Yeah. lol.

#47 Posted by schu (9215 posts) -
#48 Edited by silversix_ (13418 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

*pic*

C'mon. At least try.

"C'mon. At least try."

the person in the middle seems butthurt, wouldn't be surprised if this was backace lol

#49 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12640 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

*pic*

C'mon. At least try.

"C'mon. At least try."

the person in the middle seems butthurt, wouldn't be surprised if this was backace lol

The race isn't going in her favor I think, I love that face, lol.

#50 Posted by tymeservesfate (1464 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

*pic*

C'mon. At least try.

"C'mon. At least try."

funny how people keep griping about these people still. those are friends and family of devs. what, they can't do something nice for their family and friends lol? the rest of the game seems to look beautiful...so why would you think they're not capable of making better crowds? its just a nicety they did for their for people they care about, not a display of inability.