PS4 camera vs Kinect 2.0 - which is better?

Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) 5 months, 9 days ago

Poll: PS4 camera vs Kinect 2.0 - which is better? (42 votes)

PS4 camera 26%
Kinect 2.0 74%

What does SW think of these two? I just got a PS4 camera out of curiosity (fully willing to admit I bought into the sales hype). But shouldn't Kinect be the winner here? Better tech supposedly and it did look like fun at the mall. Yet MS was forced to create a Kinect-less SKU so it can't be that great either. Who wins, SW?

#1 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7428 posts) -

Shit. How is this a question?

#2 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5072 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

for once i agree with my good friend foxbatalpha. ps eye without a doubt is better

#3 Edited by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

for once i agree with my good friend foxbatalpha. ps eye without a doubt is better

LOL!

I don't see a lot of effort to use PS Eye outside of using it for the PS4...

#4 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

Kinect but who gives a fuck?

#5 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3749 posts) -

C)- None of above .

#6 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2534 posts) -

Kinect. is this a question?

#7 Posted by Heil68 (45245 posts) -

PS4 camera as SONY made it option to begin with.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (58294 posts) -

How is this even a question...

More importantly, why is this even a question?

#9 Edited by blackace (20890 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

LOL!

The only thing the PS4 EyeCamera is being used for is Twitch videos and that AR demo software that was preloaded on the PS4. Why it was preloaded is beyond me since it's useless without the camera. At least with Kinect I can use it to Snap apps in and out on my screen and launch games from my kitchen. There aren't many Kinect games, but the Kinect fitness and Kinect Sports are still decent with the camera. Like the Ps4, Kinect can be used for Twitch. It can also be used with Skype as well. Right now the Kinect is better, as it has more uses for it. I doubt Sony is going to make any games using their camera. Haven't seen anything new about MOVE on the PS4.

#10 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

A brick with a USB port would be more appealing than Kinect. Even Microsoft realizes that now.

#11 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@blackace said:

@StormyJoe said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

LOL!

The only thing the PS4 EyeCamera is being used for is Twitch videos and that AR demo software that was preloaded on the PS4. Why it was preloaded is beyond me since it's useless without the camera. At least with Kinect I can use it to Snap apps in and out on my screen and launch games from my kitchen. There aren't many Kinect games, but the Kinect fitness and Kinect Sports are still decent with the camera. Like the Ps4, Kinect can be used for Twitch. It can also be used with Skype as well. Right now the Kinect is better, as it has more uses for it. I doubt Sony is going to make any games using their camera. Haven't seen anything new about MOVE on the PS4.

I read somewhere that PS4 camera will be used with Project Morpheus

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (24233 posts) -

the PS4 camera is a fail, not one person has used the champagne feature to money shot in someone else's face

#13 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2923 posts) -

@charizard1605: Because the majority of games on both consoles are multiplats and are so similar in most of their overall features like price, that people have to argue over the tiniest thing. *cough* resolutiongate *cough*

Next up: "Is the PS4 better because it's smaller?"

#14 Posted by PapaTrop (1347 posts) -

Kinect is unbelievably impressive tech, but mostly for things that aren't video games.

#15 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11425 posts) -

Ive never used the PS camera. Kinect on XBO is pretty cool... when it works.

#16 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10530 posts) -

@papatrop said:

Kinect is unbelievably impressive tech, but mostly for things that aren't video games.

This is true

#17 Posted by Krelian-co (11216 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

C)- None of above .

#18 Posted by tdkmillsy (1402 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

scraping the barrel there.

Unable to point out the obvious, looking for an excuse to go Sony.

Pretty sad

#19 Posted by wolverine4262 (19397 posts) -

Who cares?

@charizard1605:
Lock it?

#20 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

How about you make a pros and cons list of each so we can all see what each does and doesn't do.

I see a lot of lemmings say Xbones is better hardware but everything else about the PS 4 is more powerful so why would I think the Camera wouldn't be?

#21 Posted by cainetao11 (17771 posts) -

Wait you think because the entry price to X1 wasn't appealing thenPS camera is better than the Kinect 2.0? 9 million ps4 sold, how many total cameras?

#22 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

This again.

#23 Posted by kinectthedots (2015 posts) -

Un, who cares?

They both serve pretty much the same purpose trying to dispute the superiority between these two gimmicks is silly really. Kinect was dropped as a primary feature, neither of these two devices will be a big influence for developing games from here on out.

#24 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Wait you think because the entry price to X1 wasn't appealing thenPS camera is better than the Kinect 2.0? 9 million ps4 sold, how many total cameras?

back in March sales hit 900K
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/20/5529874/ps4-playstation-camera-sales-scarcity

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (58294 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

Who cares?

@charizard1605:

Lock it?

I can't, technically it's not doing anything wrong xD

#26 Posted by cainetao11 (17771 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11 said:

So conservatively, in march 7-8% of PS4 owners bought the camera. Now I know. I read all the reports of how popular it was. But that figure, only based on a conservative estimate are really not that impressive. They may have been great compared to estimates Sony had before hand. I know a few PS4 owners, and more X1 owners. What can I say? Many military friends are like me. America is far from perfect, but we buy the American companies entry into the market first. But no PS4 owner I know owns the camera. Most tell me if they wanted that they would have bought X1. But nothing is certain, all in entertainment is subjective because we are human, and we are all entertained individually.

#27 Edited by getyeryayasout (7604 posts) -

Hmmm, shit or shit sandwich? That's a toughie. I think I'll just not eat.

#28 Edited by wolverine4262 (19397 posts) -

@charizard1605:

Clearly, its not worthy of discussion. All the tc does is make pointless VS threads. Locking them would discourage that.

#29 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

@charizard1605:

Clearly, its not worthy of discussion. All the tc does is make pointless VS threads. Locking them would discourage that.

If you don't like them you might not want to reply to them because all that does is bump the thread and annoy you even more :)

#30 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11 said:

So conservatively, in march 7-8% of PS4 owners bought the camera. Now I know. I read all the reports of how popular it was. But that figure, only based on a conservative estimate are really not that impressive. They may have been great compared to estimates Sony had before hand. I know a few PS4 owners, and more X1 owners. What can I say? Many military friends are like me. America is far from perfect, but we buy the American companies entry into the market first. But no PS4 owner I know owns the camera. Most tell me if they wanted that they would have bought X1. But nothing is certain, all in entertainment is subjective because we are human, and we are all entertained individually.

I don't know man, selling a million units without having any significant software for it is pretty damn impressive. I just tried it out and the playroom seems like a pretty cool thing (although more for kids). Also, Project Morpheus is suppose to use the camera so that should help quite a bit too. Not bad for something that wasn't shoved down anyone's throat.

#31 Posted by -CC- (1893 posts) -

Kinect killed the once great xbox brand so by default I guess the camera is better.

#32 Posted by cainetao11 (17771 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11 said:

I don't know man, selling a million units without having any significant software for it is pretty damn impressive. I just tried it out and the playroom seems like a pretty cool thing (although more for kids). Also, Project Morpheus is suppose to use the camera so that should help quite a bit too. Not bad for something that wasn't shoved down anyone's throat.

Good points dude. The Morpheus possibilities are interesting. As for the kids part, that is all the fun I have had with Kinect last or this gen. Kids are hilarious with it. But for the laziness I suffer from it has been awesome.

#33 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

C)- None of above .

#34 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11 said:

Good points dude. The Morpheus possibilities are interesting. As for the kids part, that is all the fun I have had with Kinect last or this gen. Kids are hilarious with it. But for the laziness I suffer from it has been awesome.

lol, nice. I'm sure they would love kicking the aliens on the PS4 screen. you know what's also interesting? I had no idea that the PS4 has voice commands. you can do it through the mono headset they give you OR the camera. it's actually not bad.

#35 Posted by cainetao11 (17771 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic:

So I've read. Play games bro! Or play with Tormentos!!!

#36 Posted by Heil68 (45245 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

@Heil68 said:

scraping the barrel there.

Unable to point out the obvious, looking for an excuse to go Sony.

Pretty sad

PS4 is on a ROLL though, even beating Xbone with price cut. Truly a marvel of the industry.

#37 Edited by AM-Gamer (4046 posts) -

Kinect 2.0 is better then the PS Eye it's simply better technology. MS paid more for Kinect as it was planned to be integrated in every part of the system. Sony spent there time and resources on making a more powerful console. Which I would take the more powerful console over the better camera any day.