PS4 and Xbone devs need to focus more on better gameplay.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

The game with the best graphics on Xbone is Ryse with a 4.0 score.

The game with the best graphics on the PS4 is The Order with a 5.0 score.

Developers need to focus more on great gameplay instead of just graphics.

I know this generation is still young, but the lack of high scoring games on both consoles is a telling tail.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Or a nice mixture of both, but yeah i'd much prefer a crappy looking game with amazing gameplay over an amazing looking game with crappy gameplay.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Careful there are people who think games like the order should have got a score of 8 or above

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

I thought sunset overdrive was a good example of gameplay over graphics, Insomniac did a great job with the x1 hardware imo.

But I do agree, we need to see more of it.

endersdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By endersdragon
Member since 2013 • 207 Posts

"But it's so pretty" -average gamer. Seriously, if gameplay mattered at all in this day and age, the console war would look a lot different right now.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Gameplay doesn't sell games. Shiny graphics and million dollars worth of hype sell games. This is what happens when you let 2 companies have complete control over the console market. They are able to monopolize the industry and promote a certain type of game they know will sell well, regardless of score.

Consoles either need to go open platform, or they're going to die.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@EnergyAbsorber said:

The game with the best graphics on Xbone is Ryse with a 4.0 score.

The game with the best graphics on the PS4 is The Order with a 5.0 score.

Developers need to focus more on great gameplay instead of just graphics.

I know this generation is still young, but the lack of high scoring games on both consoles is a telling tail.

Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2. Great gameplay, and looks good.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I think, out of all current-gen consoles, this is most persistent problem for Sony. They are after all not messiahs and Gods of gaming contrary to what 99% of SW thinks but fucking sleazy businessmen who only want to maximize profit benefitting from sheer stupidity of the masses. That's why they use massive benefit of the doubt they have and focus solely on graphics and presentation and marketing to wow as many uneducated people as possible as well as fool some of more seasoned gamers as well who subsequently are fooled till the very end about the superiority of their products. They focus only on graphics because that what is profitable for their business. Focusing on both gameplay and graphics/presentation would be too costly and time-consuming and in the end detrimental to money-making scheme. They aren't the only ones doing this, however, but like I initially said - they're most guilty out of big three console makers this gen.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

But but but mah blockbuster games.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

yeah ur right, lets all get together and play grey fukin goo on our $1000+ pee c

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

I think, out of all current-gen consoles, this is most persistent problem for Sony. They are after all not messiahs and Gods of gaming contrary to what 99% of SW thinks but fucking sleazy businessmen who only want to maximize profit benefitting from sheer stupidity of the masses. That's why they use massive benefit of the doubt they have and focus solely on graphics and presentation and marketing to wow as many uneducated people as possible as well as fool some of more seasoned gamers as well who subsequently are fooled till the very end about the superiority of their products. They focus only on graphics because that what is profitable for their business. Focusing on both gameplay and graphics/presentation would be too costly and time-consuming and in the end detrimental to money-making scheme. They aren't the only ones doing this, however, but like I initially said - they're most guilty out of big three console makers this gen.

MS are scumbags themselves. Stop being a dick rider.

Look who's talking! I'm sure you are a decent bloke in real life and we'd get along like a house on fire if we met, but here as a debater you are simply woeful.

Anyway, in a way they all are without exceptions - but as for gamers this gen I'd say they are far from scumbags this gen, unlike Sony who don't even have a "face" anymore. Lol, even PC has it in Gaben.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cloud_imperium

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Whats wrong with them? The Order is just a bad one.

Not all of them are bad of course but you can't deny the fact that graphics sell games in a lot of cases, even if the gameplay is outdated or lackluster.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Not all of them are bad of course but you can't deny the fact that graphics sell games in a lot of cases, even if the gameplay is outdated or lackluster.

yeah because graphics first games never sell on pc *cough* crysis *cough*

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cloud_imperium

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

yeah because graphics first games never sell on pc *cough* crysis *cough*

Starcraft 2 sold way more than that. Crysis had sandbox gameplay too and other 2 didn't sell that well when the series became linear. And mowhere I mentioned consoles. Put fanboism aside for once.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14413 Posts

I could've sworn Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 exist.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

The Order is actually a pretty good game. I hope people give it a chance. It's getting way too much hate.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@CroidX said:

Careful there are people who think games like the order should have got a score of 8 or above

hahhaha who the hell?

surely they jist?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

if people didn't like cinematic games then game devs wouldn't make them. So whatever you guys think it's good gameplay it doesn't matter because lots of people enjoy the stuff you hate.

@Salt_The_Fries said:

99% of SW are herms. Or at least that's what they want to believe now that the Xbone and Wii U are both a piece of garbage compared to the only true console left, the PS4. The sooner you realize this the better your mental health will be the future.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

@CroidX said:

hahhaha who the hell?

surely they jist?

SolidGame apparently thinks so

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I think the main issue lies with Sony and their mediocre worldwide studios that seem hell bent on replicating Naughty Dogs success.

Why single out Ryse? Crytek have always been about graphics, long before they started console development. They struck lucky with Crysis, but have been mediocre ever since.

Compare FailClub to FH2. Horizon may not look as good, but it completely trumps it in every other area.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

The Order is actually a pretty good game. I hope people give it a chance. It's getting way too much hate.

Says the Sony mega apologist fanboy. I've read plenty of opinions from reviewers and fellow users that say the exact opposite... it's an incredibly mediocre game that endeavours to do nothing but uphold the status quo and impress only visually.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I agree with the TC. Games of late are starting to show their age. By age I mean companies are sticking to the tried and tested formula that made others rich last generation. Third person shooters with cover mechanisms that play like they have zero originality or soul are common place. Racing games aren't what they used to beRemember GT1 2, and 3 were game changers, now we have things like forza... Hell look at the sheer numbers at the end of game tittles. No company is willing to branch out and move things forward out of fear of lose. Mirrors edge is a good example of failing, though at the same time when a game like that is strong armed into what it is instead of the awesome game it could have been it's no wonder it flopped.

Investors are scared of losing capital with new, creative and fresh ideas. When the heads of the big publishers typically have zero background in the video game industry, and the people they bring in as their personal think tanks and advisers, have zero experience in the games industry. They tend to stifle innovation and creativity, while further segmenting and breaking up tittles in to smaller pieces for higher profits. There is a reason games have started to resemble the horrible aspects of film and movies from Hollywood. And it's the people heading these publishing houses, who've come from industries and CEO positions of companies that literally have zero knowledge of the Gaming industry or the people who buy their products.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Sony's first party devs really need to get their act together in this regard. Gameplay is almost always the weakest aspect of their games.

Because Sony does invest a great deal in making games, I'm always excited to hear about a new IP from them and I always hope it's something interesting and tight from a gameplay and level design perspective. I've been waiting a long time, but I'm still hopeful. I suppose Bloodborne is partially theirs so that should be quite good.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Crypt_mx: Sunset Overdrive was a great example. Gameplay over graphics. Graphics mean nothing compared to gameplay. It is a great bonus when you have both which seems like a rare breed .

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44534 Posts

Considering only 10% of people actually finish the games they buy, consider yourself elite for playing through even a shitty game even if it is just to say it was shitty.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

People need to take a stand and not buy this crap. This will correct itself if people stop putting up with bad gameplay with shiny graphics. The sad part is I believe games like the order will continue sell 500k plus.

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

@Gue1: Sony don't have any good games on the ps4 and sure their systems looks good and have a lot of features but it lacks where it counts the games. I think sony was good in the ps1 and ps2 day but now they are a wannabe Microsoft and share mostly the same dudebro game and that why I game on nintendo.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@EnergyAbsorber:

Let's face it, video games are dying.