PS3 UI Needs an Overhaul

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#101 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts
its gets the job done without any fireworks.tomarlyn
Yep, but manages to have quite a number of issues in the process.
Deniable_Ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Deniable_Ops
Member since 2011 • 198 Posts
XMB is faster, isn't stuffed to the brim with ads, and is easier and faster to navigate. The one thing the 360's dashboard has over it is that it is faster in-game, but that is more the fault of the PS3's limited memory rather than the design itself.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]its gets the job done without any fireworks.Stevo_the_gamer
Yep, but manages to have quite a number of issues in the process.

I don't have any but I'm sure you can think of some I should be having.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

I have to say those live tiles do like great.

They look & work great on a windows phone too from what I saw.

However they won't work on PC. I doubt many people will make the switch.

As for your question. No I don't think it needs an overhaul. I like the appearance of the XMB much more than their new Vita UI

Stevo_the_gamer

It'll work great on pads, Media-Center PCs, and touch-screen PCs but for the average PC gamer, or home computer for the experienced PC user, it won't get much use I imagine. I could very well be wrong though once I get my hands on it, my opinion could very well change though. We'll see.

Indeed. On what will you install it ?

the only upgrade I see for desktop PCs is the enhanced Task Manager but that's not woth the purchase price to me.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
It's still better than Live's UI so I say it is ok.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
but that is more the fault of the PS3's limited memory rather than the design itself.Deniable_Ops
Xbox 360 has limited memory available as well? The reason why PS3 can get cross-game chat is the way they designed the OS and the memory. That isn't a fault by the designers themselves?
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Indeed. On what will you install it ?

the only upgrade I see for desktop PCs is the enhanced Task Manager but that's not woth the purchase price to me.

R4gn4r0k

Depending on how well Windows 8 holds up, I'll probably get it on my gaming desktop. I skipped Windows 7 because I didn't want to dish out the money for it, so we'll see how W8 holds up.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"] I don't have any but I'm sure you can think of some I should be having.

Do you happen to own a Xbox 360?
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Yep, and on top of that you only need to scroll to your message inbox once after that your XMB opens up right to it if it was the last thing you viewed.

Stevo_the_gamer

That is true, however you still have to go through a couple sub menus to view the message where as on the 360, you only press the guide button... (assuming you just received a new message) Again, it's about efficiency. The PS3 functionality is less efficient.

Theres no couple of sub menus. You press the home button go to messages and bam done.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Theres no couple of sub menus. You press the home button go to messages and bam done.

finalfantasy94

Um, I press the guide button--and the friends page shows up (if I was already there previously, otherwise I have to go to the friends list), I clicked on message box (the first sub menu pops up asking whether you want received, sent, or create mesage), and then you click on received which sends you to the submenu with your latest messages. :? That juxtaposed to just pressing the guide button on Xbox which sends you straight to the message.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Damn consoles, Y U NO CUSTOMIZABLE?

Deniable_Ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Deniable_Ops
[QUOTE="Deniable_Ops"]but that is more the fault of the PS3's limited memory rather than the design itself.Stevo_the_gamer
Xbox 360 has limited memory available as well? The reason why PS3 can get cross-game chat is the way they designed the OS and the memory. That isn't a fault by the designers themselves?

I'm talking strictly about the design of the actual menu itself......we all know about the retarded setup of the PS3's memory.....so i stand by my original opinion that the PS3's menu is better.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
I'm talking strictly about the design of the actual menu itself......we all know about the retarded setup of the PS3's memory.....so i stand by my original opinion that the PS3's menu is better.Deniable_Ops
My topic focuses on the design of the UI as a whole, including but not limited to the looks of the UI.
Deniable_Ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Deniable_Ops

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Um, I press the guide button--and the friends page shows up (if I was already there previously, otherwise I have to go to the friends list), I clicked on message box (the first sub menu pops up asking whether you want received, sent, or create mesage), and then you click on received which sends you to the submenu with your latest messages. :? That juxtaposed to just pressing the guide button on Xbox which sends you straight to the message.

Maybe that would hold weight if it.....y'know.....actually took longer than a second.....its LITERALLY a couple of button presses to go: Messages---->Recieved----->BAM! there's your mail. It literally takes a couple of seconds.....not worth developing a whole new User Interface for imo.... :D
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Deniable_Ops"] It literally takes a couple of seconds.....not worth developing a whole new User Interface for imo.... :D

I agree entirely, but there's quite a bit more efficiency complaints I would levy. That was just one example, mate. :P
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

you are doing it wrong stevo .

You dun play the UI, you turn on the system, go to games and start to play (takes less than 5 s) .

Deniable_Ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Deniable_Ops
[QUOTE="Deniable_Ops"]I'm talking strictly about the design of the actual menu itself......we all know about the retarded setup of the PS3's memory.....so i stand by my original opinion that the PS3's menu is better.Stevo_the_gamer
My topic focuses on the design of the UI as a whole, including but not limited to the looks of the UI.

So tell me straight, what exactly do you think is wrong with it?
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Dont change what isnt broke, it needs some optimizing on loading but i think XMB is perfectly fine and to be honest i prefer it over the NXE it just feels a lot cleaner and less cluttered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I like it the way it is personaly. I was actualy kind of disapointed that the Vita wasn't going to be using a X-media bar
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

You dun play the UI, you turn on the system, go to games and start to play (takes less than 5 s) .

omho88
I do a lot more than just play games on my consoles. :P
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

Stevo_the_gamer

your making 2 x button presses sound much more longer then it needs to be. Im always on the friends colum. So its just me press x twice and I see the message.

Austindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Austindro
Member since 2011 • 856 Posts

I have no problem with the functionality of it but aesthetically it is unbeauteous.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

your making 2 x button presses sound much more longer then it needs to be. Im always on the friends colum. So its just me press x twice and I see the message.

finalfantasy94

It's all about efficiency; that time adds up after years of use.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 omho88

[QUOTE="omho88"]

Stevo_the_gamer

I do a lot more than just play games on my consoles. :P

you are doing it wrong again .... PC is the way to do more than just play games.... I can't believe I am telling you that :P.

Seriously tho, put a nice background, a sexy background and you will stop complaining like my charisma carpenter bikini wallpaper :D .

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

So tell me straight, what exactly do you think is wrong with it?Deniable_Ops
Well, before I answer that and showcase some of the problems, do you own a Xbox 360? I only ask that because you'll see where I'm coming from when I let you in on some of the issues behind the UI's design.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Seriously tho, put a nice background, a sexy background and you will stop complaining like my charisma carpenter bikini wallpaper :D .

omho88

I read that in this way, your woman keeps "putting on perfume" instead of taking a shower. She's covering up her stink by disguising her lack of hygiene by perfume. Wouldn't it be better to fix the problem by making her ass get in the damn shower? lulz.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

The current UI is fine and functional, but if it was replaced with something better I wouldn't complain.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] I don't have any but I'm sure you can think of some I should be having.

Do you happen to own a Xbox 360?

Yes I do, got it a year before my PS3.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Agreed. The XMB isn't so bad in theory, but it's not particularly well ogranized nor does it make particularly good use of space. I wouldn't say it needs an NXE-type overhaul, but it definitely needs some tweaks.

The more pressing issue, though, is PSN and related features. The store in particular is so awful I don't even bother checking for new content these days, and other features like friends lists, trophies and downloading/installing content practically go out of their way to be unpleasant (seriously, why the **** do I have to spend 20 minutes downloading a game just to have to install it? Every other service on Earth has figured out how to do the simultaneous/effectively-simultaneous download+install thing).

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 omho88

[QUOTE="omho88"]Seriously tho, put a nice background, a sexy background and you will stop complaining like my charisma carpenter bikini wallpaper :D .

Stevo_the_gamer

I read that in this way, your woman keeps "putting on perfume" instead of taking a shower. She's covering up her stink by disguising her lack of hygiene by perfume. Wouldn't it be better to fix the problem by making her ass get in the damn shower? lulz.

God, you seem way too serious about that, I thought it was one of ur flamebait topics .... lol .... I will send you my wallpaper, it's so sexy you will ask for this thread lock.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

God, you seem way too serious about that, I thought it was one of ur flamebait topics .... lol .... I will send you my wallpaper, it's so sexy you will ask for this thread lock.

omho88

Making the outward appearance pretty does nothing to alleviate the underlying inefficiency problems...

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#133 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
Why does it matter how often it's updated? It's simple, familiar, and easy to use. I care more about the games coming out on the console rather than what is UI looks like either way. Maybe that's where MS went wrong.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
I like PS3's minimalist ui, I think Xbox's is extremely ugly.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

The UI is fine although it is pretty bare bones. Hopefully Sony will include a more robust UI next gen and maintain their free online model

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

finalfantasy94

With my iPhone in hand and PS3 with U3 playing in the background it took all of 3.2 seconds to hit the Home Button and go through all those stupid sub menus to be able to view my Message recieved from Sanim ...

Yep Sony needs to scratch the XMB and start a new, it ain't getting the job done!! :evil:

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Don't fix what isn't broken. The Xbox 360 dashboard isn't nearly as pretty or as good looking as the PS3's dashboard. The 360 dashboard is mostly just advertisements for crap I don't care about. In fact, it's a downgrade from what it started out being six years ago.
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Yeah, the XMB is bland and boring. But with the right theme it isn't all that bad...

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#139 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Don't fix what isn't broken. The Xbox 360 dashboard isn't nearly as pretty or as good looking as the PS3's dashboard. The 360 dashboard is mostly just advertisements for crap I don't care about. In fact, it's a downgrade from what it started out being six years ago.KHAndAnime
My favorite 360 Dashboard is still the Blade System from launch because it was the most simplistic and easy to use.

White_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 White_Dreams
Member since 2011 • 925 Posts
Nah its great the way it is.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

With my iPhone in hand and PS3 with U3 playing in the background it took all of 3.2 seconds to hit the Home Button and go through all those stupid sub menus to be able to view my Message recieved from Sanim ...

Yep Sony needs to scratch the XMB and start a new, it ain't getting the job done!! :evil:

W1NGMAN-

Do that every day from the past couple of years, and that 3 seconds just became over a half hour of time wasted because of an inefficient design. And remember, that doesn't include game invites or other notifications that pop up that don't take you directly to that place when you press the guide button. You can downplay it all you want, but the overall picture remains ever clearer. Again, notifications are just one minor issue in the bigger picture... there's quite a few other issues as well.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Do that every day from the past couple of years, and that 3 seconds just became over a half hour of time wasted because of an inefficient design. And remember, that doesn't include game invites or other notifications that pop up that don't take you directly to that place when you press the guide button. You can downplay it all you want, but the overall picture remains ever clearer. Again, notifications are just one minor issue in the bigger picture... there's quite a few other issues as well.

Oh come on just listen to yourself :P Is the 360 design ineffectual because I have to wait for the disc tray to slide out? All that time lost.....
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I guess it could use a makeover, but I like the XMB just the way it is right, its easy and fast to navigate.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

While the XMB does get the job done for my PS3 and PSP, I to wish for a new interface. This is so bland and boring. A sexy dynamic theme can only hide that so much.

phantomblade220

Since when do people consider interfaces "exciting"?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Oh come on just listen to yourself :P Is the 360 design ineffectual because I have to wait for the disc tray to slide out? All that time lost.....

It's less efficient. Yes. But again, that is a drop in the bucket, it's an example of an inefficient design mechanism but there's a lot more out there to discuss. That was just an easy one to lay out to showcase the difference in accessing a message between the PS3 and X360.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Oh come on just listen to yourself :P Is the 360 design ineffectual because I have to wait for the disc tray to slide out? All that time lost.....

It's less efficient. Yes. But again, that is a drop in the bucket, it's an example of an inefficient design mechanism but there's a lot more out there to discuss. That was just an easy one to lay out to showcase the difference in accessing a message between the PS3 and X360.

Aha, real issues here. *grabs coat and leaves* :P
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

[QUOTE="phantomblade220"]

While the XMB does get the job done for my PS3 and PSP, I to wish for a new interface. This is so bland and boring. A sexy dynamic theme can only hide that so much.

Vari3ty

Since when do people consider interfaces "exciting"?

Maybe when a picture of Jordan Carver is the wallpaper? 8)

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Stevo_the_gamer

0_0 ...

Photobucket

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Aha, real issues here. *grabs coat and leaves* :Ptomarlyn
:P Again, the big picture is what matters here. Something you and wingman are missing hugely.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#150 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
It does need an update, it's very plain looking and not very user friendly. Sure people here claim navigating it is as easy as eating a pie, but not everyone is a fatty pie eating machine and for them it's not that intuitive.