PS3 UI Needs an Overhaul

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

imo it doeisnt need change. Its easy to navigate and nothing is huge or in your face. If you want to spice it up get a theme or wallpaper.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

I'd be incredibly saddened if they got rid of the XMB. The reason it's still there is because it's great. It's still better than anything Microsoft has tried for the 360.

Stevo_the_gamer

The PS2 was great, so was Windows XP, and the source engine. Why get rid of those?

Because better tech came along. Microsoft is doing a good job of showing why Sony should keep the XMB, because it's still superior to all four UIs the 360 has had in both functionality and design.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Its not as flashy as the Dashboard but I find it quicker and easier to use. It really doesn't matter what the interface is like though when I just want to play games or watch movies.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#54 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts

Microsoft is doing a good job of showing why Sony should keep the XMB, because it's still superior to all four UIs the 360 has had in both functionality and design.

Phoenix534

Come on, really?

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Easy answer, just use one of the many awesome dynamic themes. I have no problem with the PS3 UI because I like its simplicity.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I don't need new UI for my consoles i only play games with them

There aren't any video streaming services or extra stuff in EU for consoles so it would be useless

Zurrur
Then this thread isn't aimed at you. :P
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Ilike the PS3 UI. It's simple and pretty effective. It is a bit boring though.To be fair you can at lease spruce it up a bit with new themes. It far out****s the 360 in that regard.

W1NGMAN-

That's essentially the biggest thing missing from Stevo's post. Sure the default theme is boring but it's open to endless themes and personal customization while at the same time being easy to navigate through.

Go over to Youtube type in PS3 Themes and you're bound to find something you like and wanna display on your PS3.

yea I dont understand people saying it looks boring when there tons of options for themes and wallpapers.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Ok, perhaps cluttered isn't the right word. But I do see advertisements more often than on the PS3's, that's for sure.

Vari3ty

That is in due part based on the tile design, so you'll see advertisments/notifications for games or movies or music on their respective tabs. But it's hardly cluttered which made me raise an eyebrow. You only end up seeing ads when you initially boot up your PS3, you get a few scrolling ads like so:

The tile system right now on the Xbox 360 makes things pretty fluid and non-intrusive because of the limited amount of tiles you can view on the screen--granted, that is in due part based on their size being relatively sizable.

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
I dont care how it looks.. I actually quite like it. But I would like it to be quicker to access from in game. Its so slowwwww.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

What?? No it doesn't. It works fine the way it is. No need to change things.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

yea I dont understand people saying it looks boring when there tons of options for themes and wallpapers.

finalfantasy94

I have used themes before, and have found them just as unappealing, in fact, some of them made things worse as it's harder to view some of the options. I may have just not found the "right one" now; nevertheless, no matter which one I find that makes the interface "attractive" to view, the underlying issues with the design itself remain ever so prominent.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Our technology seems to be going backwards. The tile system is mainly used for touch screens and now they are finding their way onto pc's and consoles. The PS3 UI is perfect for a controller and easy to naviagte. I don't need giant emblems and buttons flashing acoss my screen.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

dream431ca
So you have no problem with stagnation?
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

Stevo_the_gamer

I have used themes before, and have found them just as unappealing, in fact, some of them made things worse as it's harder to view some of the options. I may have just not found the "right one" now; nevertheless, no matter which one I find that makes the interface "attractive" to view, the underlying issues with the design itself remain ever so prominent.

I dont see this issue you have. Its easy to navigate. The icons are not to big or small and everything is right there. The only negative I would have with it is its boring look but since I can customise it it doesint affect me.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

Stevo_the_gamer

So you have no problem with stagnation?

For a dashboard? No I do not. And stagnation implies there is something wrong with it... which I don't think there is.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I dont see this issue you have. Its easy to navigate. The icons are not to big or small and everything is right there. The only negative I would have with it is its boring look but since I can customise it it doesint affect me.

finalfantasy94

My issue is not founded entirely on the "looks" of the dashboard. There is a lot more to a dashboard then it's looks.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

For a dashboard? No I do not. And stagnation implies there is something wrong with it... which I don't think there is.

Vari3ty

Stagnation is defined as inactivity. Such as going 6 years without a substantial update. :P

aznfunnyjunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 aznfunnyjunker
Member since 2011 • 204 Posts

I like it right now, but I wish it was faster though.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Our technology seems to be going backwards. The tile system is mainly used for touch screens and now they are finding their way onto pc's and consoles. The PS3 UI is perfect for a controller and easy to naviagte. I don't need giant emblems and buttons flashing acoss my screen.

15strong

Exactly. You can easily change the background on PS3 to whatever you want. So if a plain background is "boring" that's an easy problem to fix with any background picture, however you can have specially designed moving/changing themes on PS3 as well. I have dozens of dynamic themes I got through PSN+ so I am constantly changing the background of the PS3. I currently have the "fishtank aquarium" background and it's pretty cool looking dynamic theme (basically a bunch of fish just swim around in there). There's lots of more unique ones though, I just like the relaxing background of the aquarium. There's plenty of themes dedicated to games/movie but also random ideas.

As far as the interface, count me as another one that likes the simple text menu navigation. I'm not a little kiddie so I don't need big tiles to explain my menus for me like I'm some novice, 360 interface looks like it belongs on the leapster or something. I actually think those images of 360 looks tacky as hell, and the PS3 interface is sleek/professional looking.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="15strong"]

2Chalupas

Exactly. You can easily change the background on PS3 to whatever you want. So if a plain background is "boring" that's an easy problem to fix with any background picture, however you can have specially designed moving/changing themes on PS3 as well. I have dozens of dynamic themes I got through PSN+ so I am constantly changing the background of the PS3. I currently have the "fishtank aquarium" background and it's pretty cool looking dynamic theme (basically a bunch of fish just swim around in there). There's lots of more unique ones though, I just like the relaxing background of the aquarium. There's plenty of themes dedicated to games/movie but also random ideas.

As far as the interface, count me as another one that likes the simple text menu navigation. I'm not a little kiddie so I don't need big tiles to explain my menus for me like I'm some novice, 360 interface looks like it belongs on the leapster or something. I actually think those images of 360 looks tacky as hell, and the PS3 interface is sleek/professional looking.

Once again, there's a lot more to the interface than it's "looks."

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]For a dashboard? No I do not. And stagnation implies there is something wrong with it... which I don't think there is.

Stevo_the_gamer

Stagnation is defined as inactivity. Such as going 6 years without a substantial update. :P

I know stagnation is inactivity, but usually it is a term negatively applied to something, such as what you are saying about the PS3's UI. Why change something that's not broken?

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I don't. It's functional and looks pretty sweet.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Why change something that's not broken?Vari3ty
From the OP:
Now, I imagine people are going to dish out the same argument of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" outline. And I'm afraid I don't agree entirely with this notion, otherwise I would be still stuck using the same grossly archaic dashboard for the Xbox 360 back in 2005, which comparing that to today and the new update? It looks like a frickin' eyesore (although nostalgia makes me snicker looking at it). We've come a long ways, and even in the gaming world, we like to have evolution and innovation come out--not stagnant ways of thinking. People praised the PS3 Slim, yet the "Fat PS3" was a fair design as is, in fact, it was more durable than the PS3 Slim aside from being more power hungry. Once again, people supported that yet the idea of a "new" interface avoids Sony like the plague, why?Stevo_the_gamer
Again, that way of thinking has some obvious flaws--plus it ignores the glaring deficits in the PS3's UI functionality.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]For a dashboard? No I do not. And stagnation implies there is something wrong with it... which I don't think there is.

Stevo_the_gamer

You shouldn't expect a UI to change until next gen though, the fact MS keeps changing theirs is more indicative of something being wrong. The original was fine by me.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
the fact MS keeps changing theirs is more indicative of something being wrong.tomarlyn
What in the world sort of logic is that? :?
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

One thing i like about the 360 is its dashboard. I agree, it wouldn't hurt to have a new UI.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

[QUOTE="15strong"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Once again, there's a lot more to the interface than it's "looks."

Yes. That is why I pointed out simplicity and ease of use.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I like the PS3 UI it is simple which is what I like it is easy to navigate and I love custom themes.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

15strong

Just as viewing a message from a friend? I get a message on XBL, I press the guide button, boom. There. Get a message on PSN? Open up guide, scroll to friends, find friend, click on friend, view messages, click on message. Fall asleep.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"] the fact MS keeps changing theirs is more indicative of something being wrong.Stevo_the_gamer

The basic kind, if they thought it was fine to begin with they wouldn't keep overhauling it. You think they do it for fun? Its certainly not to keep anything ''fresh'', there's either a hidden agenda or admittance of error.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] the fact MS keeps changing theirs is more indicative of something being wrong.tomarlyn

The basic kind, if they thought it was fine to begin with they wouldn't keep overhauling it. You think they do it for fun? Its certainly not to keep anything ''fresh'', there's either a hidden agenda or admittance of error.

They do it mostly for "appeal" to a broader base. It's economics based. To refresh interest, and bring more potential users to XBOX. Microsoft is a software company, they run on this mantra of overhauling, or changing their user interface. It works for them. have they had issues before? Sure, I remember Vista initially because I was there when I switched.
Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

While the XMB does get the job done for my PS3 and PSP, I to wish for a new interface. This is so bland and boring. A sexy dynamic theme can only hide that so much.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="15strong"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Just as viewing a message from a friend? I get a message on XBL, I press the guide button, boom. There. Get a message on PSN? Open up guide, scroll to friends, find friend, click on friend, view messages, click on message. Fall asleep.

You're doing it wrong. You don't need to go to your friend list to view messages, so why would you scroll through you friends list?. You can just go to "read messages". the last message received would be the 1st one on the list. So you added unnecessary steps on your own accord.

But of course I usually ignore messages while I'm gaming anyway, just check them between games or between rounds of a multiplayer game.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="15strong"]

2Chalupas

You're doing it wrong. You don't need to go to your friend list to view messages, so why would you scroll through you friends list?. You can just go to "read messages". the last message received would be the 1st one on the list. So you added unnecessary steps on your own accord.

But of course I usually ignore messages while I'm gaming anyway, just check them between games or between rounds of a multiplayer game.

Oh, right. Message Box. So you go to guide, go to friends, and then to message box, and then to received, most recent on top. Right. All those steps instead of just pressing the guide button and taking you straight there. lol
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]What in the world sort of logic is that? :?Stevo_the_gamer

They do it mostly for "appeal" to a broader base. It's economics based. To refresh interest, and bring more potential users to XBOX. Microsoft is a software company, they run on this mantra of overhauling, or changing their user interface. It works for them. have they had issues before? Sure, I remember Vista initially because I was there when I switched.

Nobody on planet earth considers the interface when either buying or booting up their games console. I don't dislike the fact they do it, but there's honestly no need to, its a waste of time.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Nobody on planet earth considers the interface when either buying or booting up their games console. I don't dislike the fact they do it, but there's honestly no need to, its a waste of time.

Yet Microsoft shows it off to press and investors; obviously they do such to reinvigorate interest in the dashboard, especially when they push for Live TV and a host of other content to make the "Xbox" a home media center device. Again, it's economics. Not a showcase of a problem.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
I prefer the simple/plain look it has now, so no.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
The fall dashboard looks amazing, I love the whole metro theme. cant wait til next year, windows 8 Desktop, Windows 8 tablet, Windows 7.5 phone ... and an Xbox 360 with the same design. Apple will have much tougher competition next year. let alone sony.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Nobody on planet earth considers the interface when either buying or booting up their games console. I don't dislike the fact they do it, but there's honestly no need to, its a waste of time.

Yet Microsoft shows it off to press and investors; obviously they do such to reinvigorate interest in the dashboard, especially when they push for Live TV and a host of other content to make the "Xbox" a home media center device. Again, it's economics. Not a showcase of a problem.

Yes investors, marketing, advertising, agenda. No need on the user level to keep putting up new wallpaper.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="15strong"]

2Chalupas

Yep, and on top of that you only need to scroll to your message inbox once after that your XMB opens up right to it if it was the last thing you viewed.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
No need on the user level to keep putting up new wallpaper.tomarlyn
Unless that user wants some of issues in the functionality to be fixed. ;)
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Yep, and on top of that you only need to scroll to your message inbox once after that your XMB opens up right to it if it was the last thing you viewed.

W1NGMAN-

That is true, however you still have to go through a couple sub menus to view the message where as on the 360, you only press the guide button... (assuming you just received a new message) Again, it's about efficiency. The PS3 functionality is less efficient.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

It needs to remain simplistic and clean. consumers are better of without the kind of bloat displayed in the OP.

A cosmetic makeover would'nt do it any harm, but I'd prefer it to stay largely as it is: Without distractions and pointless glitter that appeals to my idiocy.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PC360Wii
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Nobody on planet earth considers the interface when either buying or booting up their games console. I don't dislike the fact they do it, but there's honestly no need to, its a waste of time.

Yes investors, marketing, advertising, agenda. No need on the user level to keep putting up new wallpaper.

You undermine the importance of usability, UI is important. Microsoft advertises XBOXLIVE content much better than PSN, its more user freindly, its nicer all round. and from next year on will be the PC industry standard as well .... like Apple.... a unified brilliant U.I means ALOT to the consumor.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 PC360Wii

It needs to remain simplistic and clean. consumers are better of without the kind of bloat displayed in the OP.

A cosmetic makeover would'nt do it any harm, but I'd prefer it to stay largely as it is: Without distractions and pointless glitter that appeals to my idiocy.

MlauTheDaft
... how is it bloated? because it actually uses the screen? instead of like 20% that PSN does. its like people who dont use any icons on thier desktops.... absolutely pointless.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46523 Posts

I have to say those live tiles do like great.

They look & work great on a windows phone too from what I saw.

However they won't work on PC. I doubt many people will make the switch.

As for your question. No I don't think it needs an overhaul. I like the appearance of the XMB much more than their new Vita UI

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I have to say those live tiles do like great.

They look & work great on a windows phone too from what I saw.

However they won't work on PC. I doubt many people will make the switch.

As for your question. No I don't think it needs an overhaul. I like the appearance of the XMB much more than their new Vita UI

R4gn4r0k

It'll work great on pads, Media-Center PCs, and touch-screen PCs but for the average PC gamer, or home computer for the experienced PC user, it won't get much use I imagine. I could very well be wrong though once I get my hands on it, my opinion could very well change though. We'll see.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Yet Microsoft shows it off to press and investors; obviously they do such to reinvigorate interest in the dashboard, especially when they push for Live TV and a host of other content to make the "Xbox" a home media center device. Again, it's economics. Not a showcase of a problem.

You undermine the importance of usability, UI is important. Microsoft advertises XBOXLIVE content much better than PSN, its more user freindly, its nicer all round. and from next year on will be the PC industry standard as well .... like Apple.... a unified brilliant U.I means ALOT to the consumor.

Just because the Dash looks nicer and screams ''HEY! USE ME! BUY STUFF!'' doesn't make it more user friendly. The XMB is a lot nicer to use because of its simplicity, its gets the job done without any fireworks. I have an iPad 2, its operating system is a joy to use. But its used for a lot more things than just games and video's. I need everything to be quick and easy to access. The iOS is more in kind with the XMB than the Dash in that respect.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Personally I like the slick, responsive and clean interface of the XMB. If anything Microsoft has shown us that Sony had it pretty good from the start, I personally think the new dashboard for the 360 starts looking more and more like the XMB as time rolls on.