PS3 to have an inferior BR drive not built to final BR specs........

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XanaduTheBand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XanaduTheBand
Member since 2005 • 2971 Posts

(partially taken from another post of mine in a differnt topic)

www.logicfoolspleaseuseyourhead.com

Since cows are the masters of speculation without facts and think it's fair game, I'll do a little of my own (drawn from history). My problem lies with Sony putting a non-finalized format in the PS3. We don't even know which drive is going into the PS3. If it's a 1st gen or even a 2nd gen drive (as it most likely will be) then expect both problems with the initial hardware and problems with finalization of the format. Hell, DVD took a long time out in the market (with record growth no less) to come to it's final form of standardization. Why do you think that my old 1st gen DVD player won't read dual-layered discs and doesn't like some new movies. Do you honestly think that BR will stay the way it is right now? Cows, if sony does give you a drive in your launch PS2's that within a few years doesn't play standardized BR well, what will you say?

goldenguy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 goldenguy00
Member since 2003 • 677 Posts
oh well8)
type_v_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 type_v_basic
Member since 2002 • 577 Posts

1. How does that affect gameplay?

2. How did that slow down the ps2?

Jonsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jonsghost
Member since 2003 • 1029 Posts
Bluray > dvd
Bastard360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bastard360
Member since 2005 • 880 Posts

After watching too much good anime and movies of 1980-2002

I have no interest in Movies or Any watchable media anymore.

unless it is really really really really really good.

XanaduTheBand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XanaduTheBand

type_v_basic

1. I never mentioned gameplay other than the fact that PS3 discs won't be able to utilize the full capacity of the medium due to being stuck with inferior drives.

2. The PS2 used a a DVD drive when DVD was already out on the market for many many years. In contrast, BR will almost launch with the PS3.... early adopters always bear the cost and heaches of new technoogly. Thank you Cows. :lol:

viciousnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 viciousnip
Member since 2005 • 4985 Posts

2. The PS2 used a a DVD drive when DVD was already out on the market for many many years. In contrast, BR will almost launch with the PS3.... early adopters always bear the cost and heaches of new technoogly. Thank you Cows. :lol:

You do realize that BD has been out for  a while now right?

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

viciousnip

There's not one BR movie...:|

El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 El_Indigo
Member since 2005 • 4829 Posts
[QUOTE="viciousnip"]

Puckhog04

....rewritable discs......:|

viciousnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 viciousnip
[QUOTE="viciousnip"]

Puckhog04

FYI... it's BD(Blu-ray Disc)  not BR according to BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association).

I know that there isn't any BD movies out or BD movie players out. 

I was just talking about the BD recorders and drives in general. 

Avatar image for Arch-Renegade04
Arch-Renegade04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Arch-Renegade04
Member since 2005 • 7427 Posts

Although you didn't provide a real link, you are correct. Every optical drive starts with CLV or constant linear velocity drives and then progresses to CAV or constant angular velocity.

CLV is good at reading data in adjacent sectors, however when data is scattered all over the disk (as is the case with games) there is a whole lot of slowdown due to poor seek times. CAV does not have this problem.

Both the sega CD and the PSP had CLV drives, and they have both demonstrated poor loading times. The good news is, PS3 games won't be on blu ray. They will be on DVD, just like xbox 360 games. They will not be on blu ray because of the poor seek times from the CLV blu ray drive.
TRega123

i wouldnt be surprised that when they DID go on bluray thy would go on the worst type, maybe 15-20 gigs.

viciousnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 viciousnip
[QUOTE="viciousnip"]

TRega123

You do realize that BD has been out for a while now right?

However, by the time the PS2 came out, they had developed CAV DVD drives. The ps3 will have a CLV blu ray drive which is not good for reading data scattered all over the disk (like games).

I believe they have a BD  CAV drive already...

clearman90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 clearman90
Member since 2003 • 11500 Posts

viciousnip

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i am convinced that cows have no brains :lol:

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
[QUOTE="type_v_basic"]

XanaduTheBand

1. I never mentioned gameplay other than the fact that PS3 discs won't be able to utilize the full capacity of the medium due to being stuck with inferior drives.

The first DVD player was available 4 years before the release of the PS2. The first Blu-ray recorder was available back in '03, 3 years before the launch of the PS3. 3 years vs 4 years. Not exactly a huge difference.
Cgi-Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cgi-Chris
Member since 2003 • 5593 Posts
Who cares? We will still have it, it will benefit the games, because they can work around stuff to make it perform well for the system, even if it is going to be faster later in life, it doesn't matter, The thing is we will have it, and you lemmings wont. lol lemmings just give up, you can't win.
viciousnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 viciousnip
[QUOTE="skektek"] [QUOTE="XanaduTheBand"][QUOTE="type_v_basic"]

TRega123

The first DVD player was available 4 years before the release of the PS2. The first Blu-ray recorder was available back in '03, 3 years before the launch of the PS3. 3 years vs 4 years. Not exactly a huge difference.

However, the technology has not improved to a point where CAV drives are available. Time probably isn't the best way to measure technology growth.

Sony had displayed a blue-laser cav drive in 2003.  It was for commercial use only though...

let me try to look up dome BD recorder specs, and see if they are all CLV..

E M I N 3 M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 E M I N 3 M
Member since 2002 • 2615 Posts
[QUOTE="viciousnip"]

Puckhog04

But there is HD-DVD p0rn already :P:lol::lol::lol:
El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 El_Indigo

[QUOTE="Cgi-Chris"]Who cares? We will still have it, it will benefit the games, because they can work around stuff to make it perform well for the system, even if it is going to be faster later in life, it doesn't matter, The thing is we will have it, and you lemmings wont. lol lemmings just give up, you can't win. TRega123
It will not benefit the games. No games will use it because of horrible seek times.

Take a look at blu ray drives  seek time and access time  and then at dvd drives  seek time and  access time.....

brim4brim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 brim4brim
Member since 2005 • 4048 Posts
Well I'm not getting 360 or PS3 but I want HD-DVD to win this fight because BD are supposed to have excess DRM which is why Ms wouldn't support them and which is why Sony are all for them (recent rootkit CD's were just the start of there DRM plans).  DRM is bad for consumers and regardless of the support for BD from movie companies etc..., consumers should choose HD-DVD if this DRM crap is real.
viciousnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 viciousnip
[QUOTE="viciousnip"]

clearman90

Maybe a little research on your part would help.

El_Indigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 El_Indigo

Well I'm not getting 360 or PS3 but I want HD-DVD to win this fight because BD are supposed to have excess DRM which is why Ms wouldn't support them and which is why Sony are all for them (recent rootkit CD's were just the start of there DRM plans).  DRM is bad for consumers and regardless of the support for BD from movie companies etc..., consumers should choose HD-DVD if this DRM crap is real. brim4brim

Both formats have them

Dragondudefla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Dragondudefla
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
[QUOTE="clearman90"]

viciousnip

Yes, it's been out for a while now in Japan.
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
[QUOTE="brim4brim"]Well I'm not getting 360 or PS3 but I want HD-DVD to win this fight because BD are supposed to have excess DRM which is why Ms wouldn't support them and which is why Sony are all for them (recent rootkit CD's were just the start of there DRM plans). DRM is bad for consumers and regardless of the support for BD from movie companies etc..., consumers should choose HD-DVD if this DRM crap is real.

Both HD-DVD and BD have excessive DRM.  But on the other hand they both have MMC too.
XanaduTheBand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XanaduTheBand
Well, the cows are still owned. Paying up front for something that won't work as well a couple years down the road. thanks to TRega123 for backing it up. Cows = owned.
smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 smartcriminal
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts
How fast can you read/write data on a Blu-ray disc?

According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc. The large NA value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate. While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future.

taken from blu-ray.com,

Shows that 2x is more then suffiecient to last for a long time

Taken from

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Wait for it...

PS3 isn't done yet.

Lemmings. :lol:
smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 smartcriminal

Wait for it...

PS3 isn't done yet.

Lemmings. :lol:
Timstuff

oh yes sorry i forgot that SCE rang you up and told you.

Wether ps3  is finished or not the BDA has finished the spescifications for blu-ray which is what this topic is about

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
The site is dead anyway. :|

PS3 will have a perfectly adiquet drive for everything it needs to do. Sony hasn't finalized what speed it will be, but it will be fast enough to play games with quick loading times and watch HD movies. Why would they even design a drive that wouldn't have the specifications necessary to make PS3 function wel as an HD movie player, which is one of Sony's primary objectives with the system? This thread is garbage.
smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 smartcriminal

The site is dead anyway. :|

PS3 will have a perfectly adiquet drive for everything it needs to do. Sony hasn't finalized what speed it will be, but it will be fast enough to play games with quick loading times and watch HD movies. Why would they even design a drive that wouldn't have the specifications necessary to make PS3 function wel as an HD movie player, which is one of Sony's primary objectives with the system? This thread is garbage.
Timstuff

agreed.It would be like microsoft putting a crappy dvd player in the xbox and xbox360, oh wait they did

Warp_2567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 Warp_2567
Member since 2004 • 11701 Posts
[QUOTE="viciousnip"]

Puckhog04

In Japan there's BR disks and BR players already. BR players cost $3000 over there.
lynux3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lynux3
Member since 2005 • 7276 Posts
LMFAO, TRega is funny sometimes. I like reading him babble on about CLV and CAV, same thing over and over and over again every single Blu-ray thread. :lol:
lynux3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lynux3
Member since 2005 • 7276 Posts
How fast can you read/write data on a Blu-ray disc?

According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc. The large NA value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate. While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future.

taken from blu-ray.com,

Shows that 2x is more then suffiecient to last for a long time

Taken from

smartcriminal

I approve of this ownage. TRega has been owned.
Vastet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 Vastet
Member since 2004 • 2568 Posts

Since cows are the masters of speculation without facts and think it's fair game, I'll do a little of my own (drawn from history). My problem lies with Sony putting a non-finalized format in the PS3. We don't even know which drive is going into the PS3. If it's a 1st gen or even a 2nd gen drive (as it most likely will be) then expect both problems with the initial hardware and problems with finalization of the format. Hell, DVD took a long time out in the market (with record growth no less) to come to it's final form of standardization. Why do you think that my old 1st gen DVD player won't read dual-layered discs and doesn't like some new movies. Do you honestly think that BR will stay the way it is right now? Cows, if sony does give you a drive in your launch PS2's that within a few years doesn't play standardized BR well, what will you say?

XanaduTheBand
I have to comment on this. It's not accurate to portray DVD standards in the same light as BD standards. There are similarities, but DVD was effectively an open source format. Competing media formats were consolidated into one, and tossed around until a format everyone could agree on came about. The upcoming format war is different. HD-DVD and BD-DVD discs will not see a lot of revisions to the format like DVD did. There will still be a couple, but they shouldn't be significant enough to make some BD or HD movies not play on their respective drives.
smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 smartcriminal
the only reason a movie shouldnt play on a bd player is if they introduce new sizes or change from java to IHD on the disc
Heishiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heishiro
Member since 2005 • 1604 Posts
[QUOTE="Jonsghost"]Bluray > dvd

Fact.
type_v_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 type_v_basic
Member since 2002 • 577 Posts
[QUOTE="type_v_basic"]

XanaduTheBand

1. Its still better than a DVD9, whether or not it is fully utilized, the drive on the ps3 will still be an improvement on the other two consoles. It offers more options.

2. I'm not sure what you're saying, all I told you was that the original crappy player on the ps2 didn't stop it from selling in the tens of millions, so why should it do that this generation?
evilBush465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 evilBush465
Member since 2005 • 1027 Posts
[QUOTE="viciousnip"]

Puckhog04

theres a couple
New_Syntax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 New_Syntax
Member since 2005 • 586 Posts
[QUOTE="TRega123"]Although you didn't provide a real link, you are correct. Every optical drive starts with CLV or constant linear velocity drives and then progresses to CAV or constant angular velocity.

CLV is good at reading data in adjacent sectors, however when data is scattered all over the disk (as is the case with games) there is a whole lot of slowdown due to poor seek times. CAV does not have this problem.

Both the sega CD and the PSP had CLV drives, and they have both demonstrated poor loading times. The good news is, PS3 games won't be on blu ray. They will be on DVD, just like xbox 360 games. They will not be on blu ray because of the poor seek times from the CLV blu ray drive.

And here you are again. First of all, even 2 year old prototype BR drives are CLV/CRV drives, and there are already models available that support both CLV and CRV.

again:
Read About Automatic CAV/CLV selection...
sulimanitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 sulimanitachi
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
ps3 is inferior
OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OceanLeet
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts
Sony was stupid for putting such a cutting edge, untested tech in their new PS.  Sony fans should be outraged, not defensive.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
Why are you bumping 1 year old threads.
2largeadults

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 2largeadults
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

Since cows are the masters of speculation without facts and think it's fair game, I'll do a little of my own (drawn from history). My problem lies with Sony putting a non-finalized format in the PS3. We don't even know which drive is going into the PS3. If it's a 1st gen or even a 2nd gen drive (as it most likely will be) then expect both problems with the initial hardware and problems with finalization of the format. Hell, DVD took a long time out in the market (with record growth no less) to come to it's final form of standardization. Why do you think that my old 1st gen DVD player won't read dual-layered discs and doesn't like some new movies. Do you honestly think that BR will stay the way it is right now? Cows, if sony does give you a drive in your launch PS2's that within a few years doesn't play standardized BR well, what will you say?

XanaduTheBand
I would say you're worrying about something not worth worrying about.