PS3 sales nosedive following PS4 launch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2574 posts) -
#2 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3468 posts) -

How is this bad news for Sony? PS3 sold quite well the system is now 7-8 years old and they released a new console that people are excited about, how is that bad news?

#3 Edited by hoyalawya (327 posts) -
#4 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2574 posts) -

yeah I tried to edit my post for the bad news part, but the new gamespot site makes it impossible to do so from a smartphone..... I was referring to Sonys financial issues, driveclub delay, order 1886 lack of coop and possible 2016 release, login issues following forward, etc....poor ps3 just adds to that....hopefully they will rebound

#5 Posted by GamingGod999 (2891 posts) -

How is this bad news for PS4 owners?

#6 Edited by blackace (19580 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-helps-sony-s-game-division-rise-but-ps3-sales-see-significant-decrease/1100-6417559/

I wonder how the 360 did by comparison, and if they mix their 360 numbers with the X1 numbers like Sony seems to be doing, based on this article. Seems like nothing but bad news recently for PS4 owners. Good luck all.

Microsoft always shows seperate numbers. XBox 360 did great in U.S. PS3? not so much. PS3 was selling better in Euro & Japan though. Microsoft needs to drop the price of the 360 to under $200 though. Not sure why they haven't yet. I know they are enjoying the profits it continues to make.

#7 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (1811 posts) -

How is this bad news for Sony? PS3 sold quite well the system is now 7-8 years old and they released a new console that people are excited about, how is that bad news?

lem desperation.

#8 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

Shocking news...

No not really

#9 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3468 posts) -

yeah I tried to edit my post for the bad news part, but the new gamespot site makes it impossible to do so from a smartphone..... I was referring to Sonys financial issues, driveclub delay, order 1886 lack of coop and possible 2016 release, login issues following forward, etc....poor ps3 just adds to that....hopefully they will rebound

LOL Gamespot's smartphone forum is awful and hopefully gets fixed sometime soon, but yea Sony has been dealt a few blows, I figure they can revamp their business if they acquire new companies and do something different, But glad to see PS4 doing well.

#10 Posted by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

PS4 is on ROLL guys. It's quite spectacular to watch really.

#11 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27084 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

lol thats insane.

#12 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3468 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

lol thats insane.

It's like watching a monty python skit, I do love that first guy runs yoink runs!! rest of them come crashing in literally lol!

#13 Posted by tymeservesfate (1464 posts) -

i think the reason he's posting this is so cows can stop checking for ps3 sales hoping it will finally passes the XB360...because it ain't happening, lol.

#14 Posted by PonchoTaco (1890 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Whoever orchestrated the release to be like this at the store wasn't too smart. Should have given the first 20 people (or how many consoles they had) in line a ticket and have the staff bring the console to the counter.

#15 Posted by Suppaman100 (3513 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

i think the reason he's posting this is so cows can stop checking for ps3 sales hoping it will finally passes the XB360...because it ain't happening, lol.

Lol yeah..no.

360 is dead in Japan, sells like sh*t in europe and is getting less popular in America thanks to the superior exclusives of PS3 and the launch of PS4.

PS3 will overtake 360 in sales, this is a fact.

Want to do a bet? You leave SW if PS3 overtakes 360 in sales, if not then I'll leave.

#16 Posted by Sushiglutton (5165 posts) -

Ps3 is doomed

#17 Edited by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Whoever orchestrated the release to be like this at the store wasn't too smart. Should have given the first 20 people (or how many consoles they had) in line a ticket and have the staff bring the console to the counter.

We had the system you described for the PS4 release here..I was #11 :D

#18 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1811 posts) -

PS3 pass last year and sell more in down quarter according to link. Ouch, TLHBSO.

#19 Edited by tymeservesfate (1464 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Lol yeah..no.

360 is dead in Japan, sells like sh*t in europe and is getting less popular in America thanks to the superior exclusives of PS3 and the launch of PS4.

Want to do a bet? You leave SW if PS3 overtakes 360 in sales, if not then I'll leave.

@hoyalawya said:

Microsoft "sold" 3.5 millions Xbox 360 last quarter. Slightly less than 3.9 millions Xbox One "sold." The combined total for Xbox was 7.4 millions "sold."

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q2/default.aspx

i think @hoyalawya disproves a nice portion of your post nicely. as for the rest of what you wrote, it should be brush as made up nonsense you pulled out of nowhere with no facts backing it. thanks for the effort though.

#20 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

i think the reason he's posting this is so cows can stocping it will finally passes the XB360...because it ain't happening, lol.

Lol yeah..no.

60 is not selling like shit in europe, as a whole it's probably maybe 6 million behind. Considering the U.S.A gap around 3x larger than that. Also, the PS3 will not pass the 360 if the 360 is selling freaking 600,000+ still with no signs of dying. 7 years and you people keep saying this.

Now the PS4 and Xbox one are the new guys and you should be focusing on those instead of imaging the PS3 passed the 360.

#21 Edited by Shewgenja (7776 posts) -

I can't wait for the XBox to be deep-sixed. Fanbase is cancer.

#22 Posted by Suppaman100 (3513 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Lol yeah..no.

@hoyalawya said:

Microsoft "sold" 3.5 millions Xbox 360 last quarter. Slightly less than 3.9 millions Xbox One "sold." The combined total for Xbox was 7.4 millions "sold."

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q2/default.aspx

i think @hoyalawya disproves a nice portion of your post nicely. as for the rest of what you wrote, it should be brush as made up nonsense you pulled out of nowhere with no facts backing it. thanks for the effort though.

As expected. A typical weak lemming response.

Come on now, if you're so sure why not take on the bet.

#23 Edited by Suppaman100 (3513 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

i think the reason he's posting this is so cows can stocping it will finally passes the XB360...because it ain't happening, lol.

Lol yeah..no.

60 is not selling like shit in europe, as a whole it's probably maybe 6 million behind. Considering the U.S.A gap around 3x larger than that. Also, the PS3 will not pass the 360 if the 360 is selling freaking 600,000+ still with no signs of dying. 7 years and you people keep saying this.

Now the PS4 and Xbox one are the new guys and you should be focusing on those instead of imaging the PS3 passed the 360.

PS3 and 360 are neck and neck. Considering 360 does weak in europe and is dead in Japan, it's easy to know the outcome.

Lol if you believe PS3 wont pass the 360, it's inevitable. And hey if you're so sure, why not take the bet, I'll ask mods to sticky it or something.

And you're right, we should also focus on PS4 and Xbone sales.

Good time for cows.

#24 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Lol yeah..no.

PS3 and 360 are neck and neck. Considering 360 does weak in europe and is dead in Japan, it's easy to know the outcome.

Lol if you believe PS3 wont pass the 360, it's inevitable. And hey if you're so sure, why not take the bet, I'll ask mods to sticky it or something.

Good time for cows.

It's been inevitable for 7 years. 360 is still doing over 400,000+ regularly or high 340,000's at the lowest. Highest around 5-6-700,000+. Latter numbers were previous holiday months. That's insane for a console that should be in an antique shop.

#25 Posted by Boddicker (2253 posts) -

I've "heard" the 360 is still selling quite well compared to the PS3.

It's probably true.

#26 Edited by gago-gago (9084 posts) -

You know what that means, Sony will sell it if it's not selling and if it's not making them money anymore.

#27 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3214 posts) -

ps3 needs a price drop, for a 7 year old console its quite expensive. x360 will keep selling in us for throughout 2014 but sales will dry up after that

#28 Edited by _Matt_ (8737 posts) -

You know what that means, Sony will sell it if it's not selling and make them money anymore.

What?

Can you repeat that in english please?

#29 Posted by Suppaman100 (3513 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Lol yeah..no.

Good time for cows.

It's been inevitable for 7 years. 360 is still doing over 400,000+ regularly or high 340,000's at the lowest. Highest around 5-6-700,000+. Latter numbers were previous holiday months. That's insane for a console that should be in an antique shop.

What's insane is the fact that PS3 is almost always outselling 360 worldwide these last years. Like I said, alive in America, barely alive in Europe and dead in Japan, it's a simple sum.

Take on the bet, show me you back your words and aren't a coward.

#30 Edited by tymeservesfate (1464 posts) -

@Suppaman100

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@tymeservesfate said:

PS3 pass last year and sell more in down quarter according to link. Ouch, TLHBSO.

stop lying to me...Sony announced 80 million close to a month after MS did. so unless you think MS didnt sell a single XB360 in a few weeks it took Sony to announce their 80 million achievement then shut up stop the fake racist Kutaragi BS.

xbox 360

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-18-xbox-360-reaches-80-million-consoles-sold-worldwide

ps3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-playstation-3-sales-hit-80-million

because there's no way the XB360 didnt sell. especially reading this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-helps-sony-s-game-division-rise-but-ps3-sales-see-significant-decrease/1100-6417559/

"The dramatic rise in Sony's Game division was partially offset by a "significant decrease" in PS3 unit sales, Sony said today in a press release. The company did not shed any light on why the PS3 didn't perform so well in the quarter"

in comparison too:

"Microsoft "sold" 3.5 millions Xbox 360 last quarter. Slightly less than 3.9 millions Xbox One "sold."

so what in ur pea brain tells you that the ps3 outsold anything recently. especially with Sony themselves not saying it.

#31 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23372 posts) -

so?

what do i care what it sells?

i don't get why you dudes are such sales freaks anymore when the vast majority of 3rd party is multiplat these days.

the world has moved on but you dudes are stuck in some 90's paradigm where companies get to pick and choose as opposed to having to rely on multiplats for their very survival.

#32 Edited by Netret0120 (1863 posts) -

A 8 year old system drops in sales when it's successor comes out and sells 4.2 million in 2 months, is bad how?

I would worry if that didn't happeno_O It's business

#33 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

PS3 needs a price cut and perhaps a new model with no disc drive.

#34 Posted by tormentos (16290 posts) -

So the PS3 sold 100,000 more units than the 360.? It sold 3.6 million + 4.2 million for a total of 7.8 millions..

Also it has to be noted that 900k of those xbox one sold to retailers went unsold in December while sony sold out all 4.2 million PS4 and retailers were without units since close to Christmas until mid january..