PS3, over-rated or under-rated?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

PS3 is seen as the worst of the PS consoles, I tend to agree. But looking at that catalog of GOTY's and many other highly rated exclusives and gems, I'm starting to think it's kind of underrated.

thoughts?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Worst PS console ever? Sure but it had the games I wanted to play at the end of the gen. I started gen 7 on the 360 after Sony said "**** you" to the UK. By the end of the gen, I traded in my Gears of War LE 360 and bought a PS3. That alone should speak volumes.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

PS3 is seen as the worst of the PS consoles, I tend to agree. But looking at that catalog of GOTY's and many other highly rated exclusives and gems, I'm starting to think it's kind of underrated.

thoughts?

Lol, by who?

Answering your question, neither...it was a great console that deserved every praise that it got.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PS4hasNOgames

@clyde46 said:

Worst PS console ever? Sure but it had the games I wanted to play at the end of the gen. I started gen 7 on the 360 after Sony said "**** you" to the UK. By the end of the gen, I traded in my Gears of War LE 360 and bought a PS3. That alone should speak volumes.

I had much more fun at the beginning of the 360 lifecycle than I did at the end of the PS3's. The 360 was a breath of fresh air, It truly made me feel like a kid again on christmas morning. It was like a Dreamcast that lasted 8 years with the best online on a console ever.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

It's my least favorite PS console, but it was still my favorite console of last gen.

It's not even that it was worse than the others, I'm just getting older and less easily impressed. I'm not into gaming nearly as much as I used to be.

I think it's rated just about right, but we won't truly get a feel for it's place in console history for years to come.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Yes

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

thoughts?

Lol, by who?

Answering your question, neither...it was a great console that deserved every praise that it got.

It was the worst. It underperformed in multiplat games, it was massively overpriced, it had zero games when it first launched, it was such a botched launch, Sony's management made matters even worse. They took the legacy that the PS1 and PS2 had and dragged it through the mud.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

I found a lot of the Sony exclusives to be overrated to an extent, but the console overall was amazing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178793 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

thoughts?

Worst? Eh Sony always has good games on their consoles....if you're calling it "worst" then underrated.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

depends on who you talk to. cows overrate it but personally is was a perfectly mediocre system. It had a few great games but I couldn't imagine using it as my primary system for an entire gen. Especially with all the problems it had

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

.if you're called it "worst" then underrated.

Well, it can be both. Many people think the Wii is Nintendos worst console, but even if so I still find it underrated. Many people think the SNES is Nintendos best console (myself included) and I still find it overrated.

In the PS3s case though, I don't think it's underrated at all and to call it the worst is very much subjective. For instance, I thought the PS1 was better than the PS3, but only because I really loved those Jrpgs back then. For someone who wasn't into that genre, the PS3 might have been much more appealing.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I like the PS3.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 madsnakehhh

@clyde46 said:

@madsnakehhh said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

thoughts?

Lol, by who?

It was the worst. It underperformed in multiplat games, it was massively overpriced, it had zero games when it first launched, it was such a botched launch, Sony's management made matters even worse. They took the legacy that the PS1 and PS2 had and dragged it through the mud.

And even after the horrible perception at first, it ended beating the 360 in sales, it had some of the most memorable games last gen, and it put Sony in the best position entering this gen, is not about how you start, but how you end.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's rated, whatever that means, properly more often than not.

A commercial Titanic more often than not, but it's my favorite console of all time.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50464 Posts

Easily the worst of the ps consoles, but still really good

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Definitely underrated, maybe. I say maybe because who knows what will happen to psn. Right now though you've got potentially the entire psx library, a ton of arcade games, a lot of classic console games, great peripheral options, many(in cases all) ps2 games, great audio output, and while the console does hdmi there's still the option for component and wired controllers--though I've never tested out the controller lag or even bothered to hook up the console to a CRT.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

It was a good system but not as great as its predecessors.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

it finished dead last...but has great games.

its underrated.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

The PS3 fat is probably the greatest console ever created, just from the fact that it was the only modern multigenerational backwards compatible system. It was capable of playing all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. It was the Playstation all-in-one and a Blu-ray player to boot. There may never be another system like it among consoles again.

I also felt the PS3 had the best console library last generation when taking into account its mix of multiplatform support and high quality exclusives. Technically the 360 had the larger library, and the Wii competed hard in the exclusives category before prematurely dying out, but the PS3 had the strongest lasting impact on me last generation.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I know I get bash for this everytime i say it, but..... PS3>>>PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ps1

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

I know I get bash for this everytime i say it, but..... PS3>>>PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ps1

PS1>>>PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ps3 :)

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

i started with Xbox360 last gen, enjoyed the 1st gears also had bit fun with Halo 3. but my 360 didn't even lasted a year, and it got the RROD. after that i got Wii then PS3 at mid 2009. enjoyed PS3 exclusives more than Wii and 360.

so last gen for me is PS3>>Wii>>>>>Xbox360

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By madsnakehhh

@Nengo_Flow said:

Actually, i'm agree.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i think its rated correctly. Nowhere near ps1 and ps2 as far as quality of games. sales lags behind as well. It had a lot of problems during its cycle...but i still think it had the best library out of all the consoles last gen

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44485 Posts

overrated, the online updates and game installs are slow, the DS3 is a horrible controller, no party chat makes playing online with friends suck, BlueTooth headsets suck, it was overpriced at launch and didn't even come with a DS3 or component cables or HDMI, they yanked PS2 BC from it, it took them forever to build a respectable online catalog, the exclusives are horribly overrated

that being said there's still a great deal of fun to be had on it

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Worst sony console - yes. Still better than every other console last gen - yes. Goes to show you where gaming in going doesnt it?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Underrated here.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

overrated, the online updates and game installs are slow, the DS3 is a horrible controller, no party chat makes playing online with friends suck, BlueTooth headsets suck, it was overpriced at launch and didn't even come with a DS3 or component cables or HDMI, they yanked PS2 BC from it, it took them forever to build a respectable online catalog, the exclusives are horribly overrated

exclusives horribly overrated? LOL yeahh right..

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It was good but not as good as PS2 . Some exclusives were really good (MGS 4 , Uncharted 2 , TLOU) , others ... not THAT good . The real problem of PS3 was its architecture which was hard to learn . There were a lot of multiplats that never released on PS3 , were delayed or got broken ports (Skyrim , Mass Effect 1 and 2 , FEAR , Witcher 2 , Metro 2033 and so on).

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#30 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Overrated.

The 7th gen underdog was the Wii. SO MANY great Games that many overlooked.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I think Nintendo consoles have the best exclusives every gen, and last gen didn't change my opinion. But the PS3 did have Demon's Souls and The Last of Us.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts

Such a flawed machine although many of them were rectified. I place its game library above the PS1. Opinions here are generally all over the place so overrated, underrated...I don't know or care.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's overrated. It doesn't have many exclusives worth playing compared to the PS2 and PS1, and multiplats often perform better on the 360. With that said, it's a great console with a nice library and some sweet HD collections, just not as great as some people claim it to be.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I loved the ps3, sold mine but managed to borrow a friends yesterday and finished Beyond:Two souls in one sitting. I will have to buy a Ps4 just for Quantic Dreams next game, whatever that will be. For me I played the wii for half of last gen, then the second half was playing the ps3, both systems where awesome.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Dunno, the first party exclusives the PS3 got really made it stand out. Though the PS1 and 2 had a load of third party exclusives and some true gaming classics. We'll see in a few years how the PS3's "classics" hold up.

But it definitely wasn't even close to a bad console, even if it was the worst of the Playstations.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

thoughts?

Hardware 3/10

It didnt deliver what it was hyped for ( the super system that will be many levels above competition etc etc ) , price , technologies that went to waste while all they did was make system super expensive for nothing (BD , CPU ( 7 cores.. none game took advantage of even 3 cores the whole gen for example) ) , they had to cut BC and drives from original model in order to make a price cut , hardware wasnt profitable at all for many years , really bad architecture made developers choose X360 as their leading platform for their games which made X360 multis look in many occasions better than PS3s , PS3 lost major exclusives to competition like FF series and Tekken series for example , because of hardware issues which led to low sales !

In short that was a super problematic hardware ! I dont know what they were thinking but PS3 failed in every single way i can think of as a hardware.

Software 8/10

Which is what "saved" PS3 in the end ... I dont know how the hell they do it but they do it ! Even with so many multibillion losses per year , every year for the last 7 years more or less ... they kept , hell they keep delivering massive exclusives to their userbase. I gave a solid 8 because i cant bypass the fact that for the first 2 years after release PS3 was lacking titles big way but on the other hand i cant bypass the fact that they released so many great exclusives and games for PS3 even few months back when the "winners" of last generation gave/giving the middle finger too early.

There is a list of what games they coming to PS3 in 2014 and 2015. And that is coming from a tanking company !! Thats more respect than ever. In my mind , thats 10/10 for effort alone but if i want to be 100% fair thats an 8/10.

Its neither Overated nor Underated imho.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

overrated. The controller felt bad compared to the 360. The analog sticks felt soft and the triggers felt poorly conceived. The multiplats had issues. I watched my cousin's Skyrim crash on him plenty of times. Not to mention Bayonetta. The games that were exclusive to it and took advantage of its hardware were good though.

But the real problem is what the system itself did to Sony. Instead of a sensible system that would not bankrupt the company they went with the ps3, and lost hundreds of dollars on each console sold at launch. Seriously. You could buy a launch Wii with the money Sony lost with each ps3 sold. Sony never had that problem with the PS1 and PS2. For that reason I think the PS3 is overrated and I wouldn't be shocked if Sony cursed its existence too.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Overrated.

People have this weird memory of it being a 1st party powerhouse when in reality it was filled with complete fluff like MAG and Twisted Metal. The only great 1st party games were from Naughty Dog. The rest were painfully mediocre.

Couple that with the crippled OS, the outdated controller and the sorry excuse for an online system.

I love how people just choose to ignore the first 4-5 years of the PS3's life. Then at the same time, only focus on the last 3 or so years of the 360s. Goalposts and all that...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52418 Posts

Great games.

But the console itself? Bleh.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Not so much underrated as 360 is overrated. The sales speak volume at this.

LOL how many 360 sold? Sure...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44485 Posts

@blamix99 said:

@lamprey263 said:

exclusives horribly overrated? LOL yeahh right..

multiplats to a shat all over the faces of PS3 exclusives

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Worst PS console, but still best console of that gen...says a lot.

And beat 360 in the end.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

Many great games but the hardware was overhyped as hell at launch.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

It started out overrated but by the time the gen ended, it turned out to be a pretty decent console. I'm still having a great time on it.

It's certainly better than a PS4 right now.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Worst PS console, but still best console of that gen...says a lot.

And beat 360 in the end.

Yeah because that mattered. Oh right, it didn't mean shit.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Overrated by cows. Properly rated by most. Easily the worst of the three (full generation) PS consoles.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I think those are dumb things to call the PS3, I don't think it's either.

It is what it is, a commercial disappointment for Sony given their dominance, a console that wasn't the run away dominant beast that the PS1 and PS2 were in their own era, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably still the best console of that generation. The PS3's best exclusives (Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and The Last of Us) could easily go toe to toe with what the other consoles were doing, and it had great third party support to boot.

Yes some of the multiplats were better on the 360, but overall it was a push post 08 as far as multiplats went. It was a fucking myth after a certain point that the 360 "always" had better multiplats, and that shit was like the most marginal differences you could have. As a PC gamer, the PS3 offered more than the 360 ever did, also not having to pay to play online.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Underrated, especially when it first came out.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29820 Posts

Neither...it was a solid console with great games.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PS4hasNOgames

@thehig1 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

PS1>>>PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ps3 :)

this, as someone who grew up with ps consoles, it goes 1>2>3. The RPG library alone on the ps1 destroys entire catalogs.