PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Here's another example as to why that is...

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts
PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

Quote:

"IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3) to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in today's games. Ray-tracing is the rendering technique used by the film industry and is considered to complex for today's game systems. The code was written using IBM Cell SDK 2.0 on Linux. The iRT is totally scalable and only requires one Cell SPE to run. More PS3s = More SPEs = Higher client frame rates. All images are at least 720p 4x multi-sampled, with dynamic light sources, procedurally generated atmosphere, and dynamic shadows"

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-33982.aspx

Now obviously this was done using 3 PS3's but does it not make you fellow gamers wonder why they're not using 360's instead? I mean, 360's costs 200 dollars less than PS3's so why would they bother with the PS3 if they could save a few hundred bucks?

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 l_The_DetoX_l
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts
Damn, the advantages of cell are awesome.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
I don't really care since the graphics look about the same on both consoles, at least for the moment.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
That's pretty cool.
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 l_The_DetoX_l
It wasn't even using RSX, it was all Cell.
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 theboxmike
Member since 2005 • 2615 Posts

Im sick of hearing all this**** stuff from sony/imb

The day i have an acuall game playing on my ps3 that's as good as they say it is, i will thanks them for wasting 2 years of my life listing to them

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for? How is that not completely obvious?
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaddyDC650
It wasn't even using RSX, it was all Cell.l_The_DetoX_l
Never mentioned the fact that they were not using the Cell bud. Obviously the PS3 has more power to offer than the 360 otherwise they would have saved themselves a few hundred bucks and used a 360 instead....
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
It doesn't really look 75% better. I guess developers can do a good enough job faking those effects. I'd expect it to be rendering more than a single vehicle. Sort of makes PS3 look even worse than it does already for its price point.
gnutux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gnutux
Member since 2005 • 1341 Posts
[QUOTE="lowe0"]Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for? How is that not completely obvious?

Agreed. It didn't say that it used any advanced GPU functions that RSX possesses and that the Xenos doesn't have. gnutux
Skippyj9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 Skippyj9
Member since 2004 • 2825 Posts
Stop caring so much and realize that Gears of War and Forza 2 look great and Lair and Motorstorm look great as well and the differences in quality are so minimal between those 4 games.
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 l_The_DetoX_l
I don't really see the point in getting more PS3's just to spunk up graphics.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="lowe0"]Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for? How is that not completely obvious?

Good point. It's also obvious that the PS3 has more power to offer and that's why they chose it over the 360.
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 l_The_DetoX_l

[QUOTE="l_The_DetoX_l"]It wasn't even using RSX, it was all Cell.DaddyDC650

Never mentioned the fact that they were not using the Cell bud. Obviously the PS3 has more power to offer than the 360 otherwise they would have saved themselves a few hundred bucks and used a 360 instead....

Whoa, Nothing I've posted in this topic had anything to do with 360, so calm down a bit. And read more carefully, I said it DOESN'T use RSX, not that it Doesn't use CELL. 

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lowe0
[QUOTE="lowe0"]Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for?

How is that not completely obvious?DaddyDC650

Good point. It's also obvious that the PS3 has more power to offer and that's why they chose it over the 360.

Yes, if all you want to run is floating-point math, and if you can split it up into 7 threads, and if they can all execute in parallel without any contention. Those are some pretty big ifs. It really depends on what you're trying to do.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts
PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

Quote:

"IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3) to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in today's games. Ray-tracing is the rendering technique used by the film industry and is considered to complex for today's game systems. The code was written using IBM Cell SDK 2.0 on Linux. The iRT is totally scalable and only requires one Cell SPE to run. More PS3s = More SPEs = Higher client frame rates. All images are at least 720p 4x multi-sampled, with dynamic light sources, procedurally generated atmosphere, and dynamic shadows"

Now obviously this was done using 3 PS3's but does it not make you fellow gamers wonder why they're not using 360's instead? I mean, 360's costs 200 dollars less than PS3's so why would they bother with the PS3 if they could save a few hundred bucks?

DaddyDC650

Yet can that Cell create sales?

Didn't think so.

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="lowe0"]Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for?

How is that not completely obvious?lowe0

Yes, if all you want to run is floating-point math, and if you can split it up into 7 threads, and if they can all execute in parallel without any contention. Those are some pretty big ifs. It really depends on what you're trying to do.

Well if tons of developers are saying that the PS3 is in fact more power than the 360 and folks are creating projects like the one mentioned in my first post using PS3's...... do I really need to go on? I'm not saying that the 360 isn't a powerful machine because we both know it is. I'm just stating the obvious. The PS3 is more powerful than the 360.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Didn't think so.

darth-pyschosis

Actually, the CEll is in the process of hacking the government and assuming control of the military. Once complete, the world will have no choice but to buy the PS3 (or face nuclear annihilation :twisted: ).

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lowe0
I'm not saying that the 360 isn't a powerful machine because we both know it is. I'm just stating the obvious. The PS3 is more powerful than the 360.DaddyDC650
And I, as someone who writes code for a living, am telling you that it's not that simple.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]I'm not saying that the 360 isn't a powerful machine because we both know it is. I'm just stating the obvious. The PS3 is more powerful than the 360.lowe0

And I, as someone who writes code for a living, am telling you that it's not that simple.

Well it IS that simple because GAME developers have admitted that the PS3 is in fact more powerful. Even the editor-in-chief of Xbox 360 over @ IGN admitted to speaking with GAME developers and guess what? PS3 = more power. I can link you to the video if you would like?
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 l_The_DetoX_l
I'm not an expert on all this technical flip flop, but from what I've read on the internet so far ever since the consoles were announced, is that PS3 and 360 almost parallel each other in power. Only difference being that Cell just works differently and can take advantage of more things. Not sure if it's correct, but that's my understanding of it atleast. Oh and Bluray. Bluray is definetly a plus heading into the future. Sure its not needed now, but wouldn't you rather have it now instead of another console release within 3-4 years?
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

Quote:

darth-pyschosis

Didn't think so.

Ill take better games over better sales anyday
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaddyDC650
I'm not an expert on all this technical flip flop, but from what I've read on the internet so far ever since the consoles were announced, is that PS3 and 360 almost parallel each other in power. Only difference being that Cell just works differently and can take advantage of more things. Not sure if it's correct, buy that's my understanding of it atleast. Oh and Bluray. Bluray is definetly a plus heading into the future. Sure its not needed now, but wouldn't you rather have it now instead of another console release within 3-4 years?l_The_DetoX_l
Good points. Nice post.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lowe0
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"] Well it IS that simple because GAME developers have admitted that the PS3 is in fact more powerful. Even the editor-in-chief of Xbox 360 over @ IGN admitted to speaking with GAME developers and guess what? PS3 = more power. I can link you to the video if you would like?

The jury's still out on that. Some developers say it's significant, others say it's marginal. Time will tell. What I'm saying, however, is that the Cell being good at a specific kind of operation, for which it was solely designed, is not evidence of general superiority. Look at Folding@Home, for instance. The GPU client is faster than the Cell, but handles a much narrower range of problems. The same is true of the Cell vs. x86 and other mainstream CPUs. Performance is really about the suitability of the platform for the task, and CPU is just part of that.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Cell is pretty powerful, but the GPU in the PS3 is still weaker.

beatzfreak69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 beatzfreak69
Member since 2006 • 416 Posts
It's the same as the some odd thousand chickens trying to get to the coop.  It's called a tech demo.  Made specifically for the Cell.  Ever notice how tech demos for game engines always look 10x better than the finished product in the game?
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]
Well it IS that simple because GAME developers have admitted that the PS3 is in fact more powerful. Even the editor-in-chief of Xbox 360 over @ IGN admitted to speaking with GAME developers and guess what? PS3 = more power. I can link you to the video if you would like? lowe0

The jury's still out on that. Some developers say it's significant, others say it's marginal. Time will tell.

What I'm saying, however, is that the Cell being good at a specific kind of operation, for which it was solely designed, is not evidence of general superiority. Look at Folding@Home, for instance. The GPU client is faster than the Cell, but handles a much narrower range of problems. The same is true of the Cell vs. x86 and other mainstream CPUs. Performance is really about the suitability of the platform for the task, and CPU is just part of that.

I've always understood what you were trying to point out. You make some valid points but I would just like to add that since developers are admitting to the fact that the Cell is more powerful when compared to the 360's CPU. Take Ray-Tracing for example. I find it to be pretty impressive that developers can achieve Ray Tracing using the tech that is in the PS3. Obviously they need PS3's to create the visuals and if developers wanted to, they could create amazing looking games that will rival any 360 game using the Cell tech rather than the 360's CPU. My point is, when developers start to take full advantage of the PS3, I'm sure nobody will argue about the fact that the PS3 is indeed more powerful. By how much? Who knows exactly.
beatzfreak69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 beatzfreak69

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]
Well it IS that simple because GAME developers have admitted that the PS3 is in fact more powerful. Even the editor-in-chief of Xbox 360 over @ IGN admitted to speaking with GAME developers and guess what? PS3 = more power. I can link you to the video if you would like? DaddyDC650

The jury's still out on that. Some developers say it's significant, others say it's marginal. Time will tell.

What I'm saying, however, is that the Cell being good at a specific kind of operation, for which it was solely designed, is not evidence of general superiority. Look at Folding@Home, for instance. The GPU client is faster than the Cell, but handles a much narrower range of problems. The same is true of the Cell vs. x86 and other mainstream CPUs. Performance is really about the suitability of the platform for the task, and CPU is just part of that.

I've always understood what you were trying to point out. You make some valid points but I would just like to add that since developers are admitting to the fact that the Cell is more powerful when compared to the 360's CPU. Take Ray-Tracing for example. I find it to be pretty impressive that developers can achieve Ray Tracing using the tech that is in the PS3. Obviously they need PS3's to create the visuals and if developers wanted to, they could create amazing looking games that will rival any 360 game using the Cell tech rather than the 360's CPU. My point is, when developers start to take full advantage of the PS3, I'm sure nobody will argue about the fact that the PS3 is indeed more powerful. By how much? Who knows exactly.

Do me a huge favor.  Define how you mean "more powerful." :D

donut349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 donut349
Member since 2003 • 3951 Posts
Further proving Cell as just a calculator
beatzfreak69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 beatzfreak69

Further proving Cell as just a calculatordonut349

NO, it also adds a last-gen GPU. :lol:

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 l_The_DetoX_l

[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]
Well it IS that simple because GAME developers have admitted that the PS3 is in fact more powerful. Even the editor-in-chief of Xbox 360 over @ IGN admitted to speaking with GAME developers and guess what? PS3 = more power. I can link you to the video if you would like? beatzfreak69

Do me a huge favor. Define how you mean "more powerful." :D

I think all of us should sync our defintions on what powerful actually is. 

beatzfreak69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 beatzfreak69
[QUOTE="beatzfreak69"]

[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]
Well it IS that simple because GAME developers have admitted that the PS3 is in fact more powerful. Even the editor-in-chief of Xbox 360 over @ IGN admitted to speaking with GAME developers and guess what? PS3 = more power. I can link you to the video if you would like? l_The_DetoX_l

Do me a huge favor. Define how you mean "more powerful." :D

I think all of us should sync our defintions on what powerful actually is. 

Agreed, that is too loose of a word for this discussion...

coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts
Everyone did notice that there was not one, not two, but THREE PS3's running that? How did that room stay cool enough for life to exist with 3 PS3s running that?!
bezaire2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bezaire2005
Member since 2005 • 3635 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="lowe0"]Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for?

How is that not completely obvious?DaddyDC650

Well if tons of developers are saying that the PS3 is in fact more power than the 360 and folks are creating projects like the one mentioned in my first post using PS3's...... do I really need to go on? I'm not saying that the 360 isn't a powerful machine because we both know it is. I'm just stating the obvious. The PS3 is more powerful than the 360.

If every ps3 game was outperforming it's 360 counterpart, than I'd agree that it's obvious...but that doesn't seem to be the case.  All of this technical nonsense will never matter unless developers can put it too use, so threads like this are a waste of time.  We have to go with what is current, and that so far leads us to believe the 360 has the edge based on reviews.  When the ps3 changes that, than I will accept it...but until then the ps3 needs to show it's power before I believe it's there.

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 l_The_DetoX_l

Everyone did notice that there was not one, not two, but THREE PS3's running that? How did that room stay cool enough for life to exist with 3 PS3s running that?!coreygames

Barbacue for a whole family reunion.  

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Call me when someone has a thread about PS3 games being dropped off at stores for people to buy.  Is the PS3 more powerful than the 360? Sure, wtf, lets say its at least x2Bill Cosby more powerful than the 360. Is this extra power doing anyone a damn bit of good atm? No, its not. Tech threads are the worst threads on this entire forum, I would rather read the next manifesto from PS3_FTW than the most accurate tech thread around. Most people want games from their game systems not the smug self satisfying satisfaction that their system does 10% more g-flops than a rival system. I'm not saying the PS3 sux I think it will at some point be a great system I'm just saying tech threads make me want to puke.

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 l_The_DetoX_l

Call me when someone has a thread about PS3 games being dropped off at stores for people to buy. Is the PS3 more powerful than the 360? Sure, wtf, lets say its at least x2Bill Cosby more powerful than the 360. Is this extra power doing anyone a damn bit of good atm? No, its not. Tech threads are the worst threads on this entire forum, I would rather read the next manifesto from PS3_FTW than the most accurate tech thread around. Most people want games from their game systems not the smug self satisfying satisfaction that their system does 10% more g-flops than a rival system. I'm not saying the PS3 sux I think it will at some point be a great system I'm just saying tech threads make me want to puke.

Riverwolf007

Since when was this topic talking about games? Please stay on topic. Discuss what's been presented, or just get out. I do agree games make the console, but that's not what this topic is about. This topic wasn't trying to say the PS3 is the supreme best console that everyone likes becuase it's fun and has games and that graphics make the game, it was just merely arguing that it was a more powerful console. 

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaddyDC650

[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"]you could probably make a tech demo using ray tracing on the PS3 but no way in hell could you do a whole game using it...so why don't you go back to your herd retardd3thm0nkey

LOL..hehe

Who the heck is talking about creating a whole game using Ray-Tracing? Wow! Some people are slow......
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Call me when someone has a thread about PS3 games being dropped off at stores for people to buy. Is the PS3 more powerful than the 360? Sure, wtf, lets say its at least x2Bill Cosby more powerful than the 360. Is this extra power doing anyone a damn bit of good atm? No, its not. Tech threads are the worst threads on this entire forum, I would rather read the next manifesto from PS3_FTW than the most accurate tech thread around. Most people want games from their game systems not the smug self satisfying satisfaction that their system does 10% more g-flops than a rival system. I'm not saying the PS3 sux I think it will at some point be a great system I'm just saying tech threads make me want to puke.

l_The_DetoX_l

Since when was this topic talking about games? Please stay on topic. Discuss what's been presented, or just get out. I do agree games make the console, but that's not what this topic is about. This topic wasn't trying to say the PS3 is the supreme best console that everyone likes becuase it's fun and has games and that graphics make the game, it was just merely arguing that it was a more powerful console. 

Dude seriously, you are beating a dead horse. Ray-tracing on 3 linked systems for tech superiority ownage? get real. The PS3 has more tech its pretty easy to see. I'm not going to argue with people over the obvious.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaddyDC650
Further proving Cell as just a calculatordonut349
So calculators can do Ray-Tracing eh? Amazing!
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaddyDC650

[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="lowe0"]Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for?

How is that not completely obvious?bezaire2005

If every ps3 game was outperforming it's 360 counterpart, than I'd agree that it's obvious...but that doesn't seem to be the case.  All of this technical nonsense will never matter unless developers can put it too use, so threads like this are a waste of time.  We have to go with what is current, and that so far leads us to believe the 360 has the edge based on reviews.  When the ps3 changes that, than I will accept it...but until then the ps3 needs to show it's power before I believe it's there.

There are already ports that look and run better on the PS3. Developers are also admitting that the PS3 has the ability to render better lookings games than what the 360 can render. Of course the PS3 just came out recently and developers do not know how to fully harness the PS3's power so it'll take some time before the PS3 finally releases a game that will shut all the critics up. I'm sure there won't be a HUGE difference between the best looking 360 game and the best looking PS3 game of all time when it's all said and done. We'll see.
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 l_The_DetoX_l
[QUOTE="l_The_DetoX_l"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Riverwolf007

Dude seriously, you are beating a dead horse. Ray-tracing on 3 linked systems for tech superiority ownage? get real. The PS3 has more tech its pretty easy to see. I'm not going to argue with people over the obvious.

Have you even read my opinions on the matters discussed on this topic? I was merely just trying to get you on topic.

Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sailor_Enlil
Member since 2003 • 1552 Posts
Looks to me like another case of "Looks good on paper but..." whatever.

Until I see more concrete proof of the PS3's power in terms of RELEASED GAMES, I'm not buying. So far the XBox360 has had me sold with its games, not to mention the backing of well reputed developers like John Carmack.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
Everyone did notice that there was not one, not two, but THREE PS3's running that? How did that room stay cool enough for life to exist with 3 PS3s running that?!coreygames
PS3 does not have overheating issues. That's on the other side of the fence. They actually said that they were using 6 SPEs. Each Cell in a Playstation 3 has at least 6 SPEs (I believe it's 7 total available in PS3) along with a PPE. They were using three PS3's because they needed each to do a specific function. I'm not sure if that means that an individual Playstation 3 is capable of rendering what was displayed, but that hardware is contained within each and every PS3. One PS3 is not capable of running that demonstration as it was conceived all on its own (they were running Linux, one was acting as a server, etc).
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaddyDC650
Looks to me like another case of "Looks good on paper but..." whatever.

Until I see more concrete proof of the PS3's power in terms of RELEASED GAMES, I'm not buying. So far the XBox360 has had me sold with its games, not to mention the backing of well reputed developers like John Carmack.Sailor_Enlil

John Carmack? Not once did he ever admit that the 360 was more powerful. He only admitted to the fact that the 360 had better dev tools. Btw, Sony recently released a great set of dev tools called "edge" which will help developers greatly.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

Riverwolf007
The point is not that it performs "10% better" than rival systems, it's that it absolutely blows everything out of the water in any of these technical demonstrations. We're talking multiple times better than anything it's been put up against. That's why there's a point to it. The concept is that the PS3 has absolutely limitless potential.