PS3 becoming very popular in the UK / Europe

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

I live in the UK and I have noticed quite a resurgence of interest in the PS3. In the past the 360 dominated shops like GameStation and Game, but now the PS3 shelves are getting bigger, there are more people standing around them looking at games and, amazingly, my local Game store actually removed a whole shelf previously dedicated to the 360. Shops like Tesco that used to not stock PS3 games now have equal size shelves for both ps3 and 360, and magazine shops are now stocking equal numbers of ps3 and 360 mags.

I know the 360 is killing it in the US, but here in Europe it seems the PS3 is gaining ground. Can't back any of this up with numbers, just my observation.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
It did have the 80GB release a couple of months back. And the 160GB bundle released just yesterday I think. It comes with GT5: P, Ratchet & Clank: QFB, Super Stardust and The Last Guy. I'd replace GT with Wipeout HD and The Last Guy with Pixeljunk Monsters + Encore. Anyway, the PS3 has always been vastly more popular in Europe, it'll go back to dominating the 360 now that the 160GB model is out.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]It did have the 80GB release a couple of months backQUOTE]No wonder! i saw it shelves,now i know why my friend bought one ASAP today XD
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thetruespin

maybe people have got tired of the whole "simply send your console in for repair once every three months" "promotion.

To be honest, despite the wait, the ps3 is flooding the market with high quality games at the moment.

Avatar image for Simulator_Shock
Simulator_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#5 Simulator_Shock
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

maybe people have got tired of the whole "simply send your console in for repair once every three months" "promotion.

To be honest, despite the wait, the ps3 is flooding the market with high quality games at the moment.

thetruespin

Typical Cow thing to say. Thats funny, I've a 360 for two years and only had to send it in for RROD only once....I don't remember having to "send it in for repairs once every three months". *sigh*

Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts
While I was at tempe market place I saw a gamestop there so I checked it out. I saw a station3 and it had the new midnight club game, Man that game looked awesome but the store had about the same distribution of station3 games and 360. I can't wait to get my station3. Go Sony
MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts

It did have the 80GB release a couple of months back. And the 160GB bundle released just yesterday I think. It comes with GT5: P, Ratchet & Clank: QFB, Super Stardust and The Last Guy. I'd replace GT with Wipeout HD and The Last Guy with Pixeljunk Monsters + Encore. Anyway, the PS3 has always been vastly more popular in Europe, it'll go back to dominating the 360 now that the 160GB model is out.Floppy_Jim

what shop is selling them in UK, I cant find any.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Floppy_Jim

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]It did have the 80GB release a couple of months back. And the 160GB bundle released just yesterday I think. It comes with GT5: P, Ratchet & Clank: QFB, Super Stardust and The Last Guy. I'd replace GT with Wipeout HD and The Last Guy with Pixeljunk Monsters + Encore. Anyway, the PS3 has always been vastly more popular in Europe, it'll go back to dominating the 360 now that the 160GB model is out.MightyMuna

I saw it advertised in GAME yesterday. As far as I know it released on Oct 31st, maybe it's been delayed. For some reason I can't see it on Play.com or amazon.co.uk.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Simulator_Shock

Typical Cow thing to say. Thats funny, I've a 360 for two years and only had to send it in for RROD only once....I don't remember having to "send it in for repairs once every three months". *sigh*

"What are you talking about? My Xbox 360 only broke once!" Is this how desensitized lemmings are to hardware failure? :lol:

For the rest of the world, one hardware failure is one too many when there's an epidemic going on. There is nothing normal about a game system dying, BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE QUALITY CONTROL! Microsoft is ripping people off with their shoddy hardware, and yet their fans don't even care. If you're a masochist, I'm sure you'll love Xbox 360, just like Windows Vista. But for us normal people, there's PS3. Maybe Sony should take a cue from Apple's "Get a Mac" commercials and show people why PS3 is a much less frustrating piece of equipment to own.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
MS are doing fine in UK, EU, not so much, hopefully they do well in the holiday
MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts
[QUOTE="MightyMuna"]

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]It did have the 80GB release a couple of months back. And the 160GB bundle released just yesterday I think. It comes with GT5: P, Ratchet & Clank: QFB, Super Stardust and The Last Guy. I'd replace GT with Wipeout HD and The Last Guy with Pixeljunk Monsters + Encore. Anyway, the PS3 has always been vastly more popular in Europe, it'll go back to dominating the 360 now that the 160GB model is out.Floppy_Jim

I saw it advertised in GAME yesterday. As far as I know it released on Oct 31st, maybe it's been delayed. For some reason I can't see it on Play.com or amazon.co.uk.

yeah I checked those sites. I'm in west london and I cant find it anywhere. Thanks though.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thetruespin

i was buying deadspace for the ps3 the other day, and there was this guy in front going mad at the shop assistant because his 360 had destroyed his fable 2 disk and the shop would not give him a refund. boy did i feel smug :)

actually, i felt a little sorry for him, because he probably has NO IDEA how bad the 360 hardware problem really is.

JackDaniels121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JackDaniels121
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts

Not here in britain, lol

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

Europe has always been SonyLand. We over here appreciate quality consoles!

I just hope you Americans realize how great the PS3 really is!

Grady420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grady420
Member since 2008 • 430 Posts

i was buying deadspace for the ps3 the other day, and there was this guy in front going mad at the shop assistant because his 360 had destroyed his fable 2 disk and the shop would not give him a refund. boy did i feel smug :)

actually, i felt a little sorry for him, because he probably has NO IDEA how bad the 360 hardware problem really is.

thetruespin

Most people who scratch their disk moved their xbox while it was playing. If you have it laying down and then put it up vertically you will scratch the disk.

Ren_eko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ren_eko
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts

Europe has always been SonyLand. We over here appreciate quality consoles!

I just hope you Americans realize how great the PS3 really is!

metalgear-solid

I agree with the first part by my observations, Europe has allways been more Sony than Microsoft.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Sony stands for quality hardware, so europeans mostly choose for this.

It's like comparing quality european cars (sony's ps3) to crappy american cars (360 with crappy hardware)

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

I live in the UK and I have noticed quite a resurgence of interest in the PS3. In the past the 360 dominated shops like GameStation and Game, but now the PS3 shelves are getting bigger, there are more people standing around them looking at games and, amazingly, my local Game store actually removed a whole shelf previously dedicated to the 360. Shops like Tesco that used to not stock PS3 games now have equal size shelves for both ps3 and 360, and magazine shops are now stocking equal numbers of ps3 and 360 mags.

I know the 360 is killing it in the US, but here in Europe it seems the PS3 is gaining ground. Can't back any of this up with numbers, just my observation.

thetruespin

i have sorta noticed that in the uk. though no one seems to be buying the ps3. i dont even know 20 people in my school who have a ps3 or plan on buying one. but i know over 60 people who have an xbox 360 or want one. i still dont see many ps3 games/cpmsp;es in game or gamestation, or people looking at them for that matter of fact. yes the ps3 is gaining ground but in my experience it is people who already have an xbox 360 and want 2 consoles. the fact that you can use any hard drive on a ps3 means the 160 gb is obselite. when you could get a bigger hard drive and buy a 40gb ps3 for less than it costs to buy the 160gb model

amcallisterni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 amcallisterni
Member since 2007 • 366 Posts

thetruespin
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thetruespin
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

guitarsrock4eva

i have sorta noticed that in the uk. though no one seems to be buying the ps3. i dont even know 20 people in my school who have a ps3 or plan on buying one. but i know over 60 people who have an xbox 360 or want one. i still dont see many ps3 games/cpmsp;es in game or gamestation, or people looking at them for that matter of fact. yes the ps3 is gaining ground but in my experience it is people who already have an xbox 360 and want 2 consoles. the fact that you can use any hard drive on a ps3 means the 160 gb is obselite. when you could get a bigger hard drive and buy a 40gb ps3 for less than it costs to buy the 160gb model

I think in the UK at least, kids own 360's but older people 18+ tend to go for the ps3. when i go into shops, i always see 13/14 year olds looking at 360, and older people in their 20's looking at ps3.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

It's like comparing quality european cars (sony's ps3) to crappy american cars (360 with crappy hardware)

knight-k

Too true. I'd much rather drive a European car than some piece of crap from Ford or Chevy. They're expensive though, so my family usually sticks with Toyota.

Point is, there's no point in buying American when the American product is a POS.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts
well this gen is over some "guy" noticed more shelf space at his local store for the PS3.
eloyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 eloyc
Member since 2003 • 1124 Posts
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Simulator_Shock

Consoles aren't meant to break down even once.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fizzman
[QUOTE="Simulator_Shock"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]

eloyc

ever heard of the PS2?

Ren_eko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ren_eko
[QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Simulator_Shock"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Fizzman

ever heard of the PS2?

I have heard about Ps2 , never heard about one breaking down though. =)

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fizzman
[QUOTE="Fizzman"][QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Simulator_Shock"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Ren_eko

ever heard of the PS2?

you must have just gotten the internet, and a tv last week right?

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts

I wouldnt agree with you, im on a games development course with about 17 people, and only I have a ps3

yet at around 14 own a 360.

Infact apart from myself and my girlfriends brother, i dont know anyone with a ps3.

Avatar image for WalterPaladines
WalterPaladines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WalterPaladines
Member since 2003 • 1742 Posts

thetruespin
Guess what the 3 year warranty does not cover this problem, he is going to have to shell out $150 to get it fixed and he wont be getting the game back. Sony is king in Europe and is catching up in America.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
true, i think i heard somewhere that PS3 is currently ahead of the xbox's sales by 175000 units +
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FirstDiscovery

knight-k

Like PSone and PS2 which had awesome hardware?

Oh wait, technical problems didnt exist in those:|

Ren_eko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ren_eko
[QUOTE="Ren_eko"][QUOTE="Fizzman"][QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Simulator_Shock"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]

Fizzman

ever heard of the PS2?

you must have just gotten the internet, and a tv last week right?

Well i didnt use boards when i owned a Ps2 , so i am speaking from experience only i know 22 people who got their Ps2's from launch and never had a problem with it(me included) i know its a minimal portion of Ps2 owners but thats all i can talk about.

As for TV what has that got to do with anything ?

Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
[QUOTE="Simulator_Shock"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]

eloyc

NES,N64,and PS2 broke down all the time what are you talking about?

eloyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eloyc

Fizzman

ever heard of the PS2?

Yep, so what? Past PS2 failures don't make the RROD less important. :P

eloyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eloyc

LinKuei_warrior

NES,N64,and PS2 broke down all the time what are you talking about?

I already replied to that.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
[QUOTE="knight-k"]

FirstDiscovery

Did he mention ps1 or ps2?

Oh wait :o

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
As much as I'd like to believe your imagination OP it's a different story where i live in the UK and this is a bit of a wasted thread, it's a known fact the 360 is the most popular in the UK. It's not going to change because the PS3 is day light robbery right now, only those with cash on the hip are going to buy them, blu-ray is not a system seller here, hell we're not even big on HD right now.
Avatar image for WalterPaladines
WalterPaladines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WalterPaladines
Member since 2003 • 1742 Posts
As much as I'd like to believe your imagination OP it's a different story where i live in the UK and this is a bit of a wasted thread, it's a known fact the 360 is the most popular in the UK. It's not going to change because the PS3 is day light robbery right now, only those with cash on the hip are going to buy them, blu-ray is not a system seller here, hell we're not even big on HD right now.CreepyBacon
The PS3 is king in Europe, stop trying to justify your 360 purchase.
siggy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 siggy3
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts

knight-k

But Sony isn't a European company. European cars are just as bad as american ones.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="knight-k"]

fenwickhotmail

Did he mention ps1 or ps2?

Oh wait :o

Oh wait, those sold really well in EU:|

KingLouisXVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 KingLouisXVIII
Member since 2008 • 78 Posts

Yes, the ps3 is definitely growing up at last. It got released at a time of harsh competition but we are seeing some games now that are looking good, better than their 360 equivalents in some cases. A lot of my friends are getting ps3s now, when just a few months ago the 360 was the console to own.

Not sure whether to trade in my old 360 this christmas, it's on it's second hard drive and the only real reason I can see to keep it is the fact that XBL is supposedly better and Fable 2, which doesn't look that amazing to be honest. If Gears 2 is good maybe I'll give it a chance, but I agree that the Ps3 is looking more and more appealing.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
EU has always been PS land.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Facts 2008 Europe :

europe

A: 360: Hardware price cut
B: PS3: GT5-Prologue released
C: Wii: Mario Kart Wii released
D: Wii: Wii Fit Released
E: PS3: GTA IV released
E: 360: GTA IV released
F: Wii: Super Smash Bros. Brawl released
G: PS3: 80Gb model released
H: 360: Hardware price cut
H: 360: FIFA 09 released
H: PS3: FIFA 09 released

chart

MS is making a comeback , Wii kills all !

PS,

The UK was always 360 country , the rest followed after the last price cut .

ejstrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ejstrup
Member since 2005 • 2192 Posts

Fizzman

ever heard of the PS2?

Yeah, I have a working launch unit :P

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I live in the UK; take a look at any sales numbers and see that you are wrong. Europe? Sure. UK? Not so much. The UK has exhibited practically identical tastes to the US, whereby the Wii owns everything, the 360 sells consistantly well and the PS3 is playing catch-up.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

I think in the UK at least, kids own 360's but older people 18+ tend to go for the ps3. when i go into shops, i always see 13/14 year olds looking at 360, and older people in their 20's looking at ps3.

thetruespin

You need to stop looking at the people in shops and quoting it as market analysis. :P

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Floppy_Jim

The 360 has sold 2.5 million in the UK in just under 3 years.

The PS3 has sold 1.5 million in the UK in just over 18 months.

So neither console particularly dominates the other in the UK, just thought I'd clear that up. But it is the only part of Europe where the 360 still hasn't been overtaken.

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

i am going to be honest now the wii owns everything out there sales wise. but everyone i know sas they arn't very good. the ps3 will only be bought by those of us who are richer. we are in the credit crunch. people do not have the cash to splash around. if you look at the launch prices of the last gen consoles and compare them to launch prices of the current gen consoles there is a big difference.

i have a 360 but i dont think the ps3 is a bad console entirely. it depends on personal preference. i played both ps3 and 360 before i made my choice and i prefered the 360.that doesnt mean i think the ps3 sucks.

main reasons i got a 360: i prefer the controller size, online is better (imo even if you have to pay for it), a strong back catologue, it is easier for developers to make 360 games and my friends have it.

i have nothing major against the ps3. i wish my neighbour was the same toward the xbox 360. i try not to go on about the ps3 faults cos it ain't my problem. if i had one sure i might be worried. but all you ps3 owners who go out and look up all the xbox facts and figures need to get a life. why should you care about the xbox 360? you dont have one, it shouldnt matter to you if every xbox 360 blows up. half the figures of failure people go on about are from 2 years ago. there is a maximium 10% chance that a new xbox 360 will get the rrod if treated properly

i saw a news article from the bbc or itv about the little big planet withdrawal. i quote directly from what they said "sony were relying on this game to help boost faltering attempts to beat the xbox 360 and the nintendo wii, and now their hopes have been delt a big blow"