PS family digital sales almost twice that of xbox

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

Linky

Now this is not really surprising, given that the PS4 is totally and utterly destorying the xbone in terms of install base, but what is surprising is that the data takes 360 and PS3 into account. Given that if we also do the same, the difference in install base comes to just under 10% (87mill xbone/360 vs 97 mill PS4 / PS3 roughly)

So the true seperation in terms of sales is actually quite remarkable, for a just under 10% lead in install base, sony have managed to double MS's digital sales revenue.

And people say PS4 has no games..... even COD was more popular on the PS family than xbox ... and thats just funny

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

Now I know that this does not apply for everybody but after working at Gamestop for 12 years you start to notice a trend. It seems like more diverse gamers play games on the Playstation, while your "bro gamers" that only play shooters and sports games tend to favor he Xbox. Now of course they're hardcore gamers that play Xbox but it's the majority that prefer the Playstation hence the sales of the console and the sales of the software.

WeepsForFools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WeepsForFools
Member since 2012 • 793 Posts

because people only buy games digitally now

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@WeepsForFools said:

because people only buy games digitally now

they do when their system has nothing worth buying at retail like the ps4. so much better to overpay for pc games that came out a year ago.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

A couple of notes:

The PlayStation is in more markets than the Xbox and this data accounts for world wide.

The data only accounts for these top 10 games and not all digital game sales.

The data includes game and downloadable content.

The data is only for the month of January.

So this is not really surprising nor remarkable by any means. When you separate the family, data drastically change for current gen. When you include all games and separate downloadable content, the top 10 changes. When you highlight one market, data becomes even more minimal. Pretty odd how they conducted the research. So these data are pretty common sense especially for the selective guide lines they chose. It's funny because Sony fans supposedly hate digital and wow, 3 Call of Duty games in the top 10, nice data it tells a lot.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@ryno1179 said:

Now I know that this does not apply for everybody but after working at Gamestop for 12 years you start to notice a trend. It seems like more diverse gamers play games on the Playstation, while your "bro gamers" that only play shooters and sports games tend to favor he Xbox. Now of course they're hardcore gamers that play Xbox but it's the majority that prefer the Playstation hence the sales of the console and the sales of the software.

Dont think working working at gamestop counts as accurate trend analysis!

And admitting to working at gamestop for 12 years hhhmmm

Â

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

@thedork_knight said:

@ryno1179 said:

Dont think working working at gamestop counts as accurate trend analysis!

And admitting to working at gamestop for 12 years hhhmmm

Â

Well I don't work there anymore and I did say it doesn't apply to every situation. But yes working in the retail part of the industry does give you an insight on gamers buying habits, unless you have more of an experienced opinion then please share instead of trying to make fun of people for working in a job around the things they love.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Not really surprising, the PS4 has games and the Xbone does not.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RedentSC

@gago-gago said:

A couple of notes:

The PlayStation is in more markets than the Xbox and this data accounts for world wide.

I was not aware of this, i thought it was an even split at this point

This is a none issue, as the top 10 games will account for the vast majority of games sold

Again a non issue, how does this affect anything?

Again agreed, but totally irrelevent. I never said it was in total, and the link specifically states its for Janurary, so not sure what your point is here

So this is not really surprising nor remarkable by any means. When you separate the family, data drastically change for current gen. When you include all games and separate downloadable content, the top 10 changes. When you highlight one market, data becomes even more minimal. Pretty odd how they conducted the research. So these data are pretty common sense especially for the selective guide lines they chose. It's funny because Sony fans supposedly hate digital and wow, 3 Call of Duty games in the top 10, nice data it tells a lot.

Do you have any links that show cases this drastic change in data when looking at only current gen? besides that point, it doesn't really matter. As the article is looking at both current and last gen, where the install base is practically 50/50 give or take 10 million. This shows that more people are buying more games on the PS family of products than the xbox family for janurary. Almost doubling. And you havn't explained why this is.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

Not too surprising. Not sure where you got a 10 million difference in sales though

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

People abandoned 360 for PS4. It's pretty obvious.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Well it makes sense that the PS4 has over 300 games and more retail games than all other consoles.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

@RedentSC said:

@gago-gago said:

A couple of notes:

I was not aware of this, i thought it was an even split at this point

This is a none issue, as the top 10 games will account for the vast majority of games sold

Again a non issue, how does this affect anything?

Again agreed, but totally irrelevent. I never said it was in total, and the link specifically states its for Janurary, so not sure what your point is here

Do you have any links that show cases this drastic change in data when looking at only current gen? besides that point, it doesn't really matter. As the article is looking at both current and last gen, where the install base is practically 50/50 give or take 10 million. This shows that more people are buying more games on the PS family of products than the xbox family for janurary. Almost doubling. And you havn't explained why this is.

Since the data is world wide, it won't be split even since there are locations where the PS4 is available and the Xbox One is not. Same goes with last gen consoles. And I just wanted to make aware since the top 10 games also includes downloadable content, it doesn't mean the game by itself sold that much to be placed there, the DLC highly helped their positions. The NPD data shows this, it only shows games and it shows the changes I was talking about. And most importantly they seem to use a selected list of games instead all games. No wonder there's a lot of CoD games. See here and scroll down to see what titles they cover.

The reason I brought up January, because just like NPD which shows data on a monthly basis, a month's worth of data doesn't really indicate a leader or what not. The Xbox could have lead one month but that doesn't indicate it's the leader. So when there are more PS4s and PS3s than Xbox Ones and Xbox 360s and when the research is spread out even at regions where the Xbox aren't available, the sales data will reflect that. So it's not really because more people are buying more content on the PS family it's more likely because the PS family is just bigger. Pretty common sense really. The selective guidelines for the research is pretty odd, even you are surprised how they included things for it. So when you use their selected guidelines it's not remarkable at all. I like SuperDataResearch because they show data for digital content, but I'm not going to pay them to have a better comparison and what to compare, they charge you for that.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Weird I thought most Sony fans were against the digital games scene, at least that's the impression I got during the Xbox One reveal....

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RedentSC

@Alucard_Prime: nothing against digital games, just excessive drm

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@RedentSC said:

@Alucard_Prime: nothing against digital games, just excessive drm

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

just like the sales of the system.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RedentSC

after thinking about this yesterday, i think i[ve discovered the true reason for the difference. Account Sharing.

Account sharing makes the purchase of overpriced digital games affordable on the PS family of products. It effectively cuts the cost of any PS4 game/dlc in half. You can only account share with one other person on the PS4 though, you can do it with up to 2 people on the PS3 so its even more beneficial.

Whats makes it even more interesting is the fact that even though, practically, there is only one purchase made between 2 (on PS4) and 3 (on PS3) people, it was still double that of MS. Obviously we don't know how prevalent account sharing is, and to be fair, i have no idea if MS does something similar, but regardless, its still impressive

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Cows are liars they said they hate digital games they said they only want discs and collector editions with statues

look at em throwing money at digital games like the two faced liar they are we know what u said about digital games when microsoft launched u cows have done a total 180 with ur wallet tho next time bash something ur not gonna use constantly from the data we are seeing here u hate reselling physical games and are eating up tons of digital ones

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RedentSC

@ProtossX: as stated before, cows had nothing against digital sales, just excessive DRM :)