Projects you want to happen, but scare you to death.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Pariah- (645 posts) -

I haven't been able to play many games in a while, but I had a couple of weeks worth of free time recently, so I took the opportunity to binge on things I missed out on when they first came out months (years) prior. Long story short, I ended up heart broken halfway through the marathon when I had finished playing Hitman: Absolution. I knew they were going to butcher the character and his background somehow (which is largely why I didn't pick it up when it first came out), but I sorely underestimated how thoroughly the writing would mangle everything about the whole damn franchise.

Everything they did to destroy 47's character felt like a bunch of individual kicks to the chest: I had been waiting for quite some time for a new installment of Hitman, and so I was pretty hopeful. But my optimism made the pain that much worse. Absolution? Try Abortion.

Anywho, it got me to thinking that, like Hitman, there were some other overdue projects I wish would get life breathed into them again. In which case, even if my hopes come to fruition, is that really going to be a good thing?

1) The Darkness 3 - I just finished the second one a couple days ago, and I'm ashamed to have waited so long before buying it (used, no less). It downgraded the first in a couple irritating ways, but it also added to it in others. And it still had Paul Jenkins writing the story: the extra-dimensional surrealism his stories employee is worth the price of admission (see also: WW I trenches, Hell). Unfortunately, the sequel sold less than 300,000 copies. So it may be forever put on the shelf--OR they may decide to use a different format (writer, story, gameplay) to sell any further installments (suck).

2) Kane and Lynch 3 - I don't care what anyone says: Dog Days is a damn decent, atmospheric shooter. It corrects all the mistakes of its predecessor while building upon its strengths. It's true that the dialogue is shit, but its genre doesn't require brilliant writing. Above all else, it's about two guys who always screw up, and cause a shit-ton of mayhem in the process.

I realize that actually hitting a target can sometimes be tantamount to pissing in the wind. But, in my mind, that's one of those qualities that made Dog Days unique as a shooter. The goal is not so much about applying accuracy as it is about coping with inaccuracy (and Lynch's battle stress).

IO--probably at Square Enix's behest--has shelved the franchise. I hope it's not permanent. If the hiatus ends though, I fear that they'll undo all the progress of Dog Days in favor of restructuring the format.

3) Freedom Fighters 2 - Over a decade and still no sequel in sight! I can't be alone in wanting to see more urban warfare between resistance fighters and an invading communist army in the streets of New York--or where ever else.

I have a sneaking suspicion that reactionary executives stamped it with a label that reads, "Endorses Jingoism. Do Not Develop." In which case, if a sequel were ever developed, they might decide to use a Nazi redux instead of the soviets so the game could play "safe politics." Or perhaps the US would be the invading force (after Absolution, I wouldn't put that past Square Enix or IO).

How about you guys?

#2 Posted by jake44 (1928 posts) -

I would like another Legacy of Kain, Descent, and Parasite Eve. They'd totally mess up LoK and Parasite Eve though.

#3 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10179 posts) -

I want a Brute Force 2. Fable Legends is doing the whole four player co-op, bring it back in FPS form...with some tweaking and reworking of course.

#4 Edited by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

TC thinks Hitman is bad, but thinks Dog Days is a good game. Wow! You also list 2 games that have recently had newer games in the series and want to act like it's been forever.

#5 Posted by DarthaPerkinjan (762 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII remake. If done right it would be amazing, but with current Square I can imagine it will be exploring the slums with generic J-pop music in the background.

#6 Edited by Pariah- (645 posts) -

"Final Fantasy VII remake."

Oh oh oh! That reminds me: Resident Evil 2 remake.

@millerlight89 said:

TC thinks Hitman is bad, but thinks Dog Days is a good game. Wow! You also list 2 games that have recently had newer games in the series and want to act like it's been forever.

I didn't say forever. But however recent they may have been, odds are looking grim for sequels.

#7 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

The Last of Us 2

#8 Edited by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

The Last of Us 2, It's not a matter of them stuffing it up, Naughty Dog does it better than anyone. But I don't think it can live up to the original, and that's the problem with making such an amazing game. Batman is a good example, they'll never pull off another Arkham City.

#9 Posted by Boddicker (2394 posts) -

Fallout 4

I fear Bethesda's "writing" which comes off like fanfic written by a 14 year old. I also fear the use of a Skyrim skill system and abolition of the SPECIAL system.

Franchises come and go, but this is one of my most loved :(

#10 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

I want Planescape: Torment remade in its entirety as an adventure game with a modern 3D engine and a 3rd person camera view.

To help, i'd give 40 - 50% of my monthly salary without the slightest hesitation until completion, and i'd dedicate my energy, my time, my body, my mind and my very fucking soul for free to additionally help anyone that would want to do this.

There's no fear involved, because i know it's impossible. I'd have a better chance of winning the lotery each week, than for this to become a reality.

#11 Posted by Telekill (4317 posts) -

The two big rumors for me right now are reboots or sequels to both Shenmue and Dino Crisis. Both have been buried for so long (more than a decade or two generations for both) that I'm not sure how they can deliver on these games.

I'm more worried about Dino Crisis as Capcom have basically become the f**k ups of the development community. I haven't truly enjoyed one of their games since RE5 released in early 2009. How can they possibly deliver on brining back the fun that the first two games had?

I'm less worried about Shenmue as it depends on the developer. I'm more interested in just getting an ending and with Yu Suzuki still behind it, the story will be fine. There is supposed to be a conference that's public with Suzuki and Cerny regarding Shenmue at the end of the month. It will be the make or break moment for the series and any hope of getting an ending.

#12 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

HALF LIFE 3 !!!!

Where are you ???

#13 Posted by glez13 (8556 posts) -

FF VI/VII remakes

REmake 2

Single player Mechwarrior.

Parasite Eve more in line with the first two.

Freelancer 2

SWAT 5

Rainbow Six like the first three ones.

#14 Edited by Young_Charter (19826 posts) -

@Telekill said:

The two big rumors for me right now are reboots or sequels to both Shenmue and Dino Crisis. Both have been buried for so long (more than a decade or two generations for both) that I'm not sure how they can deliver on these games.

I'm more worried about Dino Crisis as Capcom have basically become the f**k ups of the development community. I haven't truly enjoyed one of their games since RE5 released in early 2009. How can they possibly deliver on brining back the fun that the first two games had?

I'm less worried about Shenmue as it depends on the developer. I'm more interested in just getting an ending and with Yu Suzuki still behind it, the story will be fine. There is supposed to be a conference that's public with Suzuki and Cerny regarding Shenmue at the end of the month. It will be the make or break moment for the series and any hope of getting an ending.

I would really like to see them both come back but I agree that at this point they're both risks. Look at what happen the Duke Nukem Forever.

1. Jet Set Radio Future 2
  2. FFVII remake or FFVII-2 (honestly I would like a Dirge of Cerberus 2 done by Platinum Games)
  3. Chrono Cross 2 (which was supposed to be Chrono Break but they canceled it)
  4. Xenogears 2
  5. Xenosaga IV
  6. Half Life 3
  7. Mech Warrior or Mech Commander
  8. The Last Of Us 2
  9. Legacy Of Kain Series
#15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69630 posts) -

Battlefront 3 is scaring me after seing how Battlefield 4 is

#16 Edited by Vatusus (4342 posts) -

@Pariah- said:

Everything they did to destroy 47's character felt like a bunch of individual kicks to the chest: I had been waiting for quite some time for a new installment of Hitman, and so I was pretty hopeful. But my optimism made the pain that much worse. Absolution? Try Abortion

What? Absolution was GREAT. And I'm a old Hitman fan. Played them'all ever since the 1st came out. And what was the problem with 47 in Absolution? He was badass as always... I seriously dont get the grip many have with this game...

#17 Edited by shawn30 (4361 posts) -

Mass Effect 4: Loved every second of the entire trilogy EXCEPT the ending of ME3, which I felt was TV-diarrhea. You can't give players unprecedented control over these huge choices that span 3 games and then brush it all aside for 3 stupid as hell choices IMHO. Bioware, get your shit together.

Fable Legends: I don't like the idea of a 4-player RPG with a 5th player as a villain with some sort of control over the game. I'd prefer a 4-player RPG and just make it grand and epic. We shall see as little is known about the game.

Madden: EA won't ever do what should be done. Shut the franchise down for a whole year and give the dev team time to rebuild every single aspect of the game from the ground up.

Halo 5: In a perfect world 343 will create the very best Halo game possible and whatever the resolution or frame-rate is that runs their game best, launch with that. Get over and don't worry about the Resolution wars. Just make a killer Halo game, listen to what the community is telling you, and take all the time needed to make the game the best it can be. gain though, in a perfect world...

#18 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13067 posts) -

A new game in the vein of the soul blazer trilogy. (Illusion of Gaia, terranigma and soulblazer, Act raiser although loosely connected)

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/quintet/quintet.htm

With the hardware we have now it could be something truly amazing. Although I'm sure it would suck because Square Enix would Ruin it like everything else.

The darkcloud games took heavy inspiration from the soul blazer trilogy infact.

#19 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -

Tactics Ogre 2, Final Fantasy Tactics 2

#20 Posted by Animal-Mother (26318 posts) -

@jake44 said:

I would like another Legacy of Kain, Descent, and Parasite Eve. They'd totally mess up LoK and Parasite Eve though.

They did it's called the third birthday :P

#21 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4060 posts) -
@jake44 said:

never played parasite eve

but yes, legacy of kain - and especially descent.

#22 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13067 posts) -

@jake44 said:

never played parasite eve

but yes, legacy of kain - and especially descent.

Oh yes Legacy of kain, give me my Gothic Zelda Fix.

#23 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4060 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: i remember Legacy of Kain on the Sony Playstation 1, man what a good game. Great combat, and really excellent graphics, fine voice acting.

Extremely high production values. I've got it on Steam as well.

In that gen I only owned a Playstation, and of course a PC.

#24 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13067 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: i remember Legacy of Kain on the Sony Playstation 1, man what a good game. Great combat, and really excellent graphics, fine voice acting.

Extremely high production values. I've got it on Steam as well.

In that gen I only owned a Playstation, and of course a PC.

I want to replay it but not having Widescreen support really sucks. There might be a workaround I'm not sure however.

The dreamcast version via Emulator has an option for widescreen but it's pretty damn buggy. I just can't stand my Raziel short fat and stumpy.

#25 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4060 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: yeah. every pixel needs a colour 60 times a second, no 'free black' pixels allowed! i just had a quick look and it appears there are a few fixes.

i might even try it tonight. i've been a bit lost lately.

#26 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13067 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: yeah. every pixel needs a colour 60 times a second, no 'free black' pixels allowed! i just had a quick look and it appears there are a few fixes.

i might even try it tonight. i've been a bit lost lately.

If you find anything that works let me know! I'd love to play Legacy of kain in widescreen again.

#27 Posted by jake44 (1928 posts) -

@jake44 said:

They did it's called the third birthday :P

Ok, let me more specific...I would like a proper sequel lol.

#28 Posted by Ballroompirate (22217 posts) -

I'd like to see

• A new Shenmue
  • Warcraft 4 (that ignores everything that has happened in WoW)
  • A new Star Fox that kinda plays like Mass Effect but still has the traditional space gameplay SF is known for or have it play like Monolith Soft's X game!!! o m g /drool
  • FF12 HD version (come on SE you're releasing that POS FFX/X-2 HD and not the better of the gen 6 FF games?)
  • A HD or remake of LoZ Majoras Mask (I guess Nintendo hates making money)
  • A remake of RE2 via just like the remake of RE1 (make it happen Crapcom)