Project Spark, the next Minecraft?

• 65 results
#1 Posted by HadOne2Many (1167 posts) -

I've been playing it for just over a week now, and this game has the potential to catch on like wildfire. Right now it is limited to either Windows 8.1 or the XB1, but if you have either of those platforms you really should check it out.

Calling it a game changer is literally true.

System wars, what do you think?

#2 Posted by ButDuuude (392 posts) -

It's more like LittleBigPlanet than Minecraft.

#3 Posted by HadOne2Many (1167 posts) -

I meant like Minecraft as in a powerhouse on the sales charts, but yes the Little Big Planet comparison is fair enough.

#4 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

Wow lems are delusional. It's a poor man's LBP at best. I remember lems claiming that Shadow Complex was better than Metroid and will become a bigger classic. Lems should use a dosis of reality from time to time.

#5 Edited by HadOne2Many (1167 posts) -

@juarbles said:

Wow lems are delusional. It's a poor man's LBP at best. I remember lems claiming that Shadow Complex was better than Metroid and will become a bigger classic. Lems should use a dosis of reality from time to time.

First, I'm not a Lem. Second, I have LBP on my PS3. Third, Project Spark is legit. You can make any type of game you want (FPS, RTS, Side Scroller, 3rd Person Adventure, anything).

Since it's still in Beta most of the really creative stuff is still in the character testing phase, but people are doing things like this:

& this

& this

#6 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

@juarbles said:

First, I'm not a Lem. Second, I have LBP on my PS3. Third, Project Spark is legit. You can make any type of game you want (FPS, RTS, Side Scroller, 3rd Person Adventure, anything).

Since it's still in Beta most of the really creative stuff is still in the character testing phase, but people are doing things like this:

& this

& this

With little big planet you can also do all of that lem. You don't fool anyone. And since when can you do a side scroller with Minecraft?

#7 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3744 posts) -

i'm interested in the game, unfortunately, not sufficiently interested to buy the latest version of microsoft's windows or the latest version of microsoft's home gaming console.

#9 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

It's more like LittleBigPlanet than Minecraft.

Might be the dumbest thing ever said on the forum.

It won't be Minecraft it is much to complex to be Minecraft. The ceiling is greater than Minecraft from a creative point but won't have as big an appeal due to its complexity.

#10 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -

I have it, but it's not for me. It will be nice for some kids to maybe use it to think about a career in gaming like we saw with computer mods and LBP.

At least it was free to download.

#11 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

I don't think so.

Minecraft is successful because it's accessible, addictive, and simple among other things.

Project Spark is going to cater to an audience a bit older then Minecraft.

#12 Edited by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I have it, but it's not for me. It will be nice for some kids to maybe use it to think about a career in gaming like we saw with computer mods and LBP.

LBP is nothing like this game. You should have left your post the way it was.

#13 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@juarbles said:

@HadOne2Many said:

@juarbles said:

& this

& this

With little big planet you can also do all of that lem. You don't fool anyone. And since when can you do a side scroller with Minecraft?

No you can't you idiot. Project Spark is way more advance than LBP.

Lol another delusional lemming.

FPS -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_CKjtjjcoI

RTS -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AqR2gtdk9o

3rd person -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17m82kkJtD0

The xbone copies everything and usually does a poor man's job on the copy because they know that lems have way lower standards than the average gamer, so shut up lemming and accept your inherent inferiority.

#14 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

I don't think so.

Minecraft is successful because it's accessible, addictive, and simple among other things.

Right on the money.............

#15 Posted by lglz1337 (3012 posts) -

it's funny how MS copies Sony games, but they fail when doing so

#16 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

Actually, I don't agree having spent hours upon hours with LBP and time with Spark.

The creative freedom has been expanded in Spark sure, but the idea behind Spark was inspired from the runaway success of LBP's online creative community. Not the SP game. I also thought this was well known since Spark was first shown off a year or two ago, so I'm surprised to see you try to remove LBP from a mention so strongly.

Spark is the next step for that kind of creative freedom on consoles, or at least, that's the hope. It's the Xbox answer to LBP's creation with a dab of Minecraft.

I am not convinced you are speaking from a point of experience.

Instead of argue, here's some online articles taken from all over the internet from gaming journalists to fill you in on this LBP/Spark comparison that has been raging on for quite a long time:

Project Spark Beta - First Impressions: The Xbox One's LittleBigPlanet

LittleBigPlanet and Minecraft With "Project Spark" Beta

World-creation game Project Spark is Microsoft’s answer to LittleBigPlanet

Little Bigger Planet: Project Spark

The list goes on and on as comparisons continue to mount. LBP was a surprise phenom and Xbox could use their own version of this which is fine. If it inspires people to create, I'm all for it. I don't want to create, but as time goes on I may revisit Spark to check out what's new. It's well established the connections between LBP and Spark, so you are railing against the world, honestly.

I actually was going to post previous SW links (LBP is always brought up in discussions since Spark's unveil), but I suspect you already knew this. If this is all a HUGE surprise, well, enjoy the video and four links I provided. There is more links if you want to Bing it (I assume you would use Bing instead of Google).

#17 Posted by slimdogmilionar (293 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@juarbles said:

@HadOne2Many said:

@juarbles said:

& this

& this

No you can't you idiot. Project Spark is way more advance than LBP.

I have LBP for ps3 and it is nowhere near as advanced as Project Spark, in Project Spark you have more control over your game than you do in LBP.

#18 Edited by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

Actually, I don't agree having spent hours upon hours with LBP and time with Spark.

The creative freedom has been expanded in Spark sure, but the idea behind Spark was inspired from the runaway success of LBP's online creative community. Not the SP game. I also thought this was well known since Spark was first shown off a year or two ago, so I'm surprised to see you try to remove LBP from a mention so strongly.

Spark is the next step for that kind of creative freedom on consoles, or at least, that's the hope.

I have played hours of Spark and LBP so you are wrong with what little you know.

LBP is a child's game compared to Spark and you saying its something for kids is ridiculous if you have spent any time with Spark.

Being able to create intelligent foes, and the interaction with the environments is more like modding of a game than taking assets in LBP. Do they both have creative features, yep but the level of detail puts Spark in another league.

#19 Posted by lostrib (31565 posts) -

isn't it just a LBP rip off?

#20 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

@lostrib said:

isn't it just a LBP rip off?

Yes, if you have never played Spark.

#21 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (5885 posts) -

I haven't played Spark yet but it does seem more complicated to be compared to Minecraft.

#22 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

Spark is the next step for that kind of creative freedom on consoles, or at least, that's the hope. It's the Xbox answer to LBP's creation with a dab of Minecraft.

Instead of argue, here's some online articles taken from all over the internet from gaming journalists to fill you in on this LBP/Spark comparison that has been raging on for quite a long time:

The list goes on and on as comparisons continue to mount. LBP was a surprise phenom and Xbox could use their own version of this which is fine. If it inspires people to create, I'm all for it. I don't want to create, but as time goes on I may revisit Spark to check out what's new. It's well established the connections between LBP and Spark, so you are railing against the world, honestly.

I actually was going to post previous SW links (LBP is always brought up in discussions since Spark's unveil), but I suspect you already knew this. If this is all a HUGE surprise, well, enjoy the video and four links I provided. There is more links if you want to Bing it (I assume you would use Bing instead of Google).

I have played hours of Spark and LBP so you are wrong with what little you know.

LBP is a child's game compared to Spark and you saying its something for kids is ridiculous if you have spent any time with Spark.

Being able to create intelligent foes, and the interaction with the environments is more like modding of a game than taking assets in LBP. Do they both have creative features, yep but the level of detail puts Spark in another league.

You played hours of LBP? Hmmm...I would normally ask for proof in measuring your trophies as there are many online trophies that would establish your time with the game because I find that very hard to believe considering your strong Xbox stance , but it's okay I'm moving past that as my above post covered my thoughts. I'd be willing to compare my trophies and achievements as well had that gone that way, but it doesn't matter because my point is made above.

Anyways, as far as your saying Spark is more advanced than LBP, I said as much. That's no secret, so I see your post now agreeing with mine whereas before it did not. That's your point now, but your point before was that they were nothing like each other which was false. I only proved that original post of yours false:

"LBP is nothing like this game."

They are in fact a lot a like conceptually, however Spark being newer and on better hardware is hopefully the next big thing. I already said Spark was the next step in creative community gaming (that's the hope at least). There are caps to creation where you pay money though for more room to create, If I recall. They are different products, so of course, we can list the differences, but that doesn't mean they aren't alike.

It's expected on new Xbone hardware and releasing years after the original LBP that Spark go that extra mile with environments and AI. In fact, Spark itself isn't much of a game than it is a mod tool, but that's what LBP online was all about. I knew that when Spark intended to go further with the LBP creative community concept when Spark was first revealed. I provided four links and a video in the post above as the industry will continue and keeps comparing LBP and Spark.

In case they are missed:

#23 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

Wow lems sure are in denial over this. Accept it you furry rodents, this is just a LBP rip off and a bad one at that.

#24 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -
@SolidTy said:

@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

From this article you posted.

"Technically, that headline isn't entirely accurate. While Project Spark is certainly reminiscent to LittleBigPlanet, insofar that you can create, build and play your very own game-created projects, it's actually a heck of a lot bigger than LittleBigPlanet and – using some of its more advanced toolsets – edges closer to the likes of 3D Game Studio."

You are a clown.

#25 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -
@kuu2 said:
@SolidTy said:

@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

"Technically, that headline isn't entirely accurate. While Project Spark is certainly reminiscent to LittleBigPlanet, insofar that you can create, build and play your very own game-created projects, it's actually a heck of a lot bigger than LittleBigPlanet and – using some of its more advanced toolsets – edges closer to the likes of 3D Game Studio."

You are a clown.

Oh my. You admit defeat with ad homimens as the pressure and evidence mounts.I almost thought you could continue a mature conversation despite your fanboyism by keeping clear of insults. That's too bad. We were having a discussion and I suppose you couldn't help yourself. I was kind enough to dig up material for you.

I selected four random articles out of dozens of articles just to give you a small idea of what the gaming industry thinks when they compare LBP and Spark. Despite that, you continued to troll and prove how uneducated you truly are by making a strawman argument. In the face of defeat, you had no choice but to resort to name calling. My heart goes out to you, still though I think I should return in kind. You said LBP and Spark were nothing alike, and yet here we are, and evidence suggests they are alike. As I said, Spark is on better hardware coming out years later, so it has a sizable advantage. More power to gamers. They are conceptually alike, no doubt about that, which you claimed they were not alike. That quote you got from one of the four links I provided only proves what I've been saying as I would never suggest that Spark isn't the next step up. It also proves that LBP is being compared to Spark in a big way. Now, time for me to return the ad hominems as some people prefer to learn that way...

T'is a sad day, boyo. You aren't very intelligent are you? Either that, or you are incredibly good at making yourself look incredibly bad. You should refrain from posting and take some time to do some learnin'.

Also, stop getting so upset about videogames.

#26 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -
@SolidTy said:

@kuu2 said:
@SolidTy said:

Oh my. You admit defeat with ad homimens as the pressure and evidence mounts.I almost thought you could continue a mature conversation despite your fanboyism by keeping clear of insults. That's too bad.

I selected four random articles out of dozens of articles just to give you a small idea of what the gaming industry thinks as you continued to troll and prove how uneducated you truly are. In the face of defeat, you had no choice but to sling names. My heart goes out to you, still though I think I should return in kind. You said they were nothing alike, and yet here we are, and evidence suggests they are alike. As I said, Spark is on better hardware coming out years later, so it has a sizable advantage in theory. More power to gamers.

T'is a sad day, boyo. You aren't very intelligent are you? Either that, or you are incredibly good at making yourself look incredibly bad. You should refrain from posting and take some time to do some learnin'.

Also, stop getting so upset about videogames.

You are a clown.

Not upset just calling it as it is.

First you said I hadn't played LBP..............

Then you said there were tons of articles..............These are just other peoples opinions just like your misguided one.

Then I show you by using your own articles that the whole LBP comparison is bunk.

You are still a clown Solid SonyFan.

In this thread alone you have many people of the same opinion as mine.

Keep living in the little dream world you have created for yourself, you and your passive aggressive attitude are safe there.

#27 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -

Wow, what a rabid, froth-at-the-mouth Xbox super fanboy man-child.

I wish I could put you in the corner with a dunce cap, but all children are free to post in SW. :(

After being proven wrong and potentially a liar (where's your trophies proving you played LBP for hours?)

You went from this:

> LBP is nothing like this game.

To this:

> Do they both have creative features, yep but the level of detail puts Spark in another league.

You clearly have comprehension problems. The two products are alike and you are deliberately trolling and being asinine by pretending I said things I did not. Spark came later, it's clearly more advanced, idiota.This is your modus operandi and why we can't have good conversations in SW, because you and other trolls like you paint the place as a haven for imbeciles.

Have fun continuing to be SW's favorite Xbot moron. ;)

My points above are up there when you grow a brain and want to understand what I was actually saying. ;)

#28 Posted by lawlessx (46248 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

it's funny how MS copies Sony games, but they fail when doing so

how exactly did they fail?

#29 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I wish I could put you in the corner with a dunce cap, but all children are free to post in SW. :(

You clearly have comprehension problems. The two products are alike and you are deliberately trolling and being asinine by pretending I said things I did not. Spark came later, it's clearly more advanced, idiota.This is your modus operandi and why we can't have good conversations in SW, because you and other trolls like you paint the place as a haven for imbeciles.

Have fun continuing to be SW's favorite moron. ;)

My points above are up there when you grow a brain and want to understand what I was actually saying. ;)

More passive aggressiveness, you put up some article with the title 'Spark Xbox's LBP' and then in the same article in the first paragraph no less the writer himself says that the title is a lie (kind of what you do always on here), and then says the game is more like 3D Game Studio which is what I said earlier.

Like I said you live in a dream world.

#30 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

After being proven wrong and potentially a liar (where's your trophies proving you played LBP for hours?)

You went from this:

> LBP is nothing like this game.

To this:

> Do they both have creative features, yep but the level of detail puts Spark in another league.

Have fun continuing to be SW's favorite Xbot moron. ;)

More passive aggressiveness, you put up some article with the title 'Spark Xbox's LBP' and then in the same article in the first paragraph no less the writer himself says that the title is a lie (kind of what you do always on here), and then says the game is more like 3D Game Studio which is what I said earlier.

You were wrong, I was right. LBP is nothing like this game was incorrect.

Spark is obviously newer and improved over the older game, but to deny the comparison is a waste of time. You are simply taking out your aggression because you dislike the comparison. The comparison however, stands. It stands with the industry and it stands with the console creation community. There is nothing wrong with that either. I can also quote articles (which are obviously opinions), but my point was these two games are similar and your point was they are not. I only used the opinions of the gaming industry to SHOW YOU what YOU were RAILING AGAINST. You can't change the world arguing in SW and telling us the two games are nothing alike. Anyone that has internet access can see that they are. Gamers that play both can see that, but Spark offers more. You already admitted they are alike with creation aspect in both that quote and your words. You are now changing your argument to suit your new goalpost that Spark is more advanced, which is obvious to anyone and I said so myself. My only intent was to illustrate to you that both products are alike and you are railing against the industry to say otherwise.

I'm pleased to be sitting where I'm sitting. If you can't understand any of this, as I fear, then there is no point continuing. For someone llke you to make the silly claim that these two products are nothing alike makes no sense. Only a hardcore xbox fan would make that claim because it means that Spark was inspired by a Sony product, "LBP", and guess what? It was inspired. There is nothing wrong with that. That's okay though because Spark offers more tools.

If LBP had NO creation tools and large community, I would absolutely agree they are nothing alike. That sentence would have made sense. However, considering the creative community in LBP and what Spark hopes to do with my Xbone by giving creators even more tools is the next step, the evolution of creative games on consoles. That's the hope at least.

#31 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

@SolidTy said:
@kuu2 said:

Spark is obviously newer and improved over the older game, but to deny the comparison is a waste of time. You are simply taking out your aggression because you dislike the comparison. The comparison however, stands. It stands with the industry and it stands with the console creation community. There is nothing wrong with that either. I can also quote articles (which are obviously opinions), but my point was these two games are similar and your point was they are not. I only used the opinions of the gaming industry to SHOW YOU what YOU were RAILING AGAINST. You can't change the world arguing in SW and telling us the two games are nothing alike. Anyone that has internet access can see that they are. Gamers that play both can see that, but Spark offers more. You already admitted they are alike with creation aspect in both that quote and your words. You are now changing your argument to suit your new goalpost that Spark is more advanced, which is obvious to anyone and I said so myself. My only intent was to illustrate to you that both products are alike and you are railing against the industry to say otherwise.

I'm pleased to be sitting where I'm sitting. If you can't understand any of this, as I fear, then there is no point continuing. For someone llke you to make the silly claim that these two products are nothing alike makes no sense. Only a hardcore xbox fan would make that claim because it means that Spark was inspired by a Sony product, "LBP", and guess what? It was inspired. There is nothing wrong with that. That's okay though because Spark offers more tools.

If LBP had NO creation tools and large community, I would absolutely agree they are nothing alike. That sentence would have made sense. However, considering the creative community in LBP and what Spark hopes to do with my Xbone by giving creators even more tools is the next step, the evolution of creative games on consoles. That's the hope at least.

Your writing a wall shows me the world you live in is so self absorbed you actually think someone is impressed by what you say and they will actually read it.

Keep your opinion Solid SonyFan and I will for sure keep mine.

#32 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:
@kuu2 said:

Your writing a wall shows me the world you live in is so self absorbed you actually think someone is impressed by what you say and they will actually read it.

Fair enough, Xbot. We will agree to disagree although I know I proved my point to anyone that bothers reading above.

You don't own a PS4 or Wii U. I own an Xbone along with Wii U and PS4. Your judgements on other products you don't own are suspect.

It seems you are true to being an Xbox fan though, but alas, I go where the games go and I paid money for all my machines.

#33 Posted by kuu2 (6787 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@kuu2 said:

I know I proved my point to anyone that bothers reading above.

Man you are full of yourself................I wonder if you can make a post not talking about you.

#34 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@SolidTy said:

@kuu2 said:

Fair enough, Xbot. We will agree to disagree although I know I proved my point to anyone that bothers reading above.

You don't own a PS4 or Wii U. I own an Xbone along with Wii U and PS4. Your judgements on other products you don't own are suspect.

It seems you are true to being an Xbox fan though, but alas, I go where the games go and I paid money for all my machines.

Man you are full of yourself................I wonder if you can make a post not talking about you.

Hmmmm...I chuckled. The subject was about the comparison at first, that only shifted when you brought me up via ad hominems. I scrolled up and read my first post and it was so vanilla and bland, but it drew your reply due to the LBP mention. I mentioned mods as well, but that didn't bother you. I didn't make that choice for you to make me part of the subject. You were arguing over semantics.

If you don't like it, next time don't bring me up and keep to the topic. The only other reason I refer to myself is that I offer I my experiences with products. I offer to share my opinions on those products. Some people have less experience, or no experience, yet they still have an equal voice in forums. There is no solution to silence the ignoramus, but I hope you recognize where you fall in this conversation.

#35 Posted by pelvist (4466 posts) -

Landmark looks more like the next Minecraft TBH.

#36 Posted by HadOne2Many (1167 posts) -

Over 30 posts and nearly every single one arguing over semantics. Like I said, LBP is a fair comparison (as is Minecraft). Hell, you could compare it any game that allows for UGC. I think the key comparison would ge against other games that either live or die based on the quality of the UGC.

Also, for those interested, here's a peak at what I've been making for the last week.

Has anyone else here created anything that you want to share?

#37 Edited by lglz1337 (3012 posts) -

@kuu2: give it a rest you being pwnd left and right

#38 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

Lol

#39 Edited by finalstar2007 (24863 posts) -

So its like a terrible LBP copycat? lol

#40 Posted by DaBrainz (7604 posts) -

@juarbles said:

I don't know why this is a popular comparison. Spark is nothing like LBP.

#41 Posted by SecretPolice (21197 posts) -

Project Spark is light years ahead of anything that came before it on consoles, I mean, if ya mo-cap me, da Sp into your game, that's insta-win right there :P

Perhpas if you want to compare LBP to Halo Forge, I might, maybe, perhaps may go along with that. ;)

#42 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

I don't think so.

This.

I think the people who will like this best are the gamers and young kids that have more than a passing interest in making full games. With Kinect integration you're going to be able to record audio clips for characters and add music. There's some real depth here, but it won't come close to selling what MInecraft does. But having said that, this has potential to be very successful. I'm impressed.

#43 Posted by lhughey (4221 posts) -

@juarbles said:

Wow lems are delusional. It's a poor man's LBP at best.

This comment doesn't even deserve a comment.

#44 Posted by HadOne2Many (1167 posts) -

Project Spark is light years ahead of anything that came before it on consoles, I mean, if ya mo-cap me, da Sp into your game, that's insta-win right there :P

I hope they improve it from the way it works in the Beta. Right now you can do the motion capture, but it simply creates an "emote". Cool for character interactions and cut scenes, but not so good for creating custom animations during gameplay. When it is triggered all it play through your animation (stop all other movements (and if the trigger is held it loops). I was trying to use it to create a crouch/duck action. It was glitchy at best, but I have high hopes for improved usage of it.

#45 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

So much butthurt from lems who can't accept reality in this thread.

#46 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1786 posts) -

I think they are limiting their sales by making it Windows 8 exclusive . Still , the concept is pretty good . We'll see.

#47 Posted by hoosier7 (3670 posts) -

Doubt it. From what i've heard it lacks the charm of LBP so far and doesn't have the studio created levels to fall back on. The payment model is in disarray currently too and they don't seem to know whether they want it to be F2P or not.

#48 Posted by Heil68 (42646 posts) -

Nope, because people from all ages can play Minecraft and support it, which wont be the case with Project Spark.

#49 Posted by pelvist (4466 posts) -
#50 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -