Project CARS (PC/PS4/X1) on schedule; Wii U delayed to 2015

• 74 results
#1 Edited by Speak_Low (1016 posts) -

November release date only applies to PS4, Xbox One and PC, Namco confirms.

Project Cars won't release on Wii U until 2015, Bandai Namco has confirmed. The game is still due to release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC in November.

"To confirm .@WMDCars #projectcars will release November on #ps4 #xboxone #pc and #WiiU is coming 2015," Bandai Namco UK's marketing & PR director Lee Kirton tweeted this morning.

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/project_cars/news/project_cars_wont_release_on_wii_u_until_2015.html

So just like Ubisoft's Watch_Dogs, the Wii U version is another unimportant, low priority project for publishers because of the consistently terrible third-party sales.

This also shows that porting isn't an easy four week "quickie" but takes months of work, testing, optimization, employee compensation (they need to be paid don't they?), and after the marketing/manufacturing the costs are too high, and the Wii U return is not enough to cover expenses or make a profit. They want to make money, not send it to die and lose more money, as some keep suggesting. It's almost as if starting these Wii U versions in the first place is what they regretted, and they're stuck in that awkward in-between phase of an uncompleted Wii U version on their hands, taking attention away from the other more successful platforms, and another Wii U game that's probably going to make them lose more money in the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai/Namco and Ubisoft have their fingers on the "ABORT" button and are veery close to cancelling the Wii U versions.

#2 Posted by big_mak523 (112 posts) -

I thought this game started out on PC/Wii U?..
If I'm right (which I not sure) what are you talking about "porting"?

#3 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

lolWiiU

#4 Edited by super600 (30522 posts) -

Namco Bandai does not handle the publishing of the game so they have no control over cancelling the game. A lot of work has already been done on the WiiU version of the game. Slightly Mad are still committed to that version, but they want to release the other versions of the game first.The game may use dx11 equivalent features according to info recently released about the WiiU version of the game.

#5 Posted by Desmonic (13762 posts) -

Wait.........so the version (besides PC I mean) that got announced first, the WiiU.......is getting delayed in favour of the versions that got announced later?.....

top-fucking-lel

#6 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

As a Sim racer I hope this game does well, however as a realist I think it will be a massive failure.

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11640 posts) -

Hey, better late than never. :)

#8 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16275 posts) -

If the game doesn't do well, then the Wii U version will just end up being cancelled.

#9 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4744 posts) -

Lol. Wii U disaster after disaster. How long has it got left? That's the question people should be asking.

#10 Edited by Speak_Low (1016 posts) -

I didn't know the PC/Wii U version started out first (I mean, I assume it was PC first, but the Wii U version too?)

Not that I don't believe you, but are there links to this? I haven't followed the production of this game closely. I'm just surprised a Wii U version would be on the front-burner over the PS4/X1. Maybe the latter two consoles were green-lit later and they didn't have the devkits yet? *shrugs*

#11 Posted by osan0 (12693 posts) -

the TC has a point.....if it ever does release on the wiiu its going to tank.

but its a self fullfilling prophecy when it comes to nintendo, nintendos audience and 3rd parties.

nintendos audience dont buy many 3rd party games (with a few exceptions). 3rd parties burn nintendo buyers in some way (only releasing mass effect 3 on the wiiu and releasing the trilogy in a set, for less money on every other platform at the same time for example), so even less people get the nintendo platform version.

like watchdogs this is delayed. everyone who wants it will have it on another platform by the time the wiiu version arrives...so this will sell bupkis on wiiu. then 3rd parties moan about a late game (probablywith less features but for the same price) on the nintendo version selling like crap.

its another fine reason why i dont think nintendo should put much emphasis on 3rd parties. even if they had the hardware there is no customer base for those types of games on nintendos platforms and even if there was 3rd parties would find a way to muck it up. no one would come out a winner.

pursuing 3rd parties for nintendo is just a case of spending money on getting game its own customer base isnt really interested in (or outright hostile towards) and when they do arrive the chances are anyone who does buy them on the nintendo platform is going to get burned (less features for the same price and so on).

nintendo should be focusing on a select few 3rd parties and expanding its first and second party resources.

3rd parties...unless they think they can find a niche in nintendos audience (something ubisoft have proven rather adept at) should probably keep their distance from nintendo platforms.

#12 Edited by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

Yes, Namco doesn't have faith in Wii U. That's why they partnered with Sora to codevelop Super Smash Bros for Wii U.

#13 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3542 posts) -

We all know you would like to see it cancelled.

#14 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4680 posts) -

nothing on the menu for wii u but bad news eh?

#15 Posted by super600 (30522 posts) -

I didn't know the PC/Wii U version started out first (I mean, I assume it was PC first, but the Wii U version too?)

Not that I don't believe you, but are there links to this? I haven't followed the production of this game closely. I'm just surprised a Wii U version would be on the front-burner over the PS4/X1. Maybe the latter two consoles were green-lit later and they didn't have the devkits yet? *shrugs*

The PS4/X1 version's of the game were greenlit a couple of months ago. Slightly mad started developing the PC version and the WiiU version like a year ago from what I recall.

#16 Posted by kenakuma (3293 posts) -

Smart business move. Gives them a better forecast for sales and the option to just cancel it all together to cut potential losses.

#17 Posted by Ben-Buja (2919 posts) -

At first SMS were planning to release the game on PC, 360, PS3 and Wii U with PC being the main platform.

The new consoles were announced during development though and they made a poll for the community to choose if they should switch to next gen instead, which passed with the majority of votes.

#18 Posted by Nanomage (2417 posts) -
@super600 said:

@speak_low said:

The PS4/X1 version's of the game were greenlit a couple of months ago. Slightly mad started developing the PC version and the WiiU version like a year ago from what I recall.

The PC version was announced a long time ago and the first port(WiiU) was announced like almost a year after the PC. PS4 and X1 are recent.

#19 Posted by Bigboi500 (29636 posts) -

Petty fanboy thread? Petty fanboy thread.

#20 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

@speak_low:

Its most likely the same situation as WatchDogs, where the game is canceled "in spirit", but they probably have an ironclad contract with Nintendo that they cant get out of. It will still appear, it will just be put on the backburner, or outsourced. They'll dedicate the bare minimum resources to it that they are contractually obligated to do.

#21 Edited by superbuuman (2757 posts) -

boo!!.delay..well that sucks! :P

#22 Posted by Raptor_Herc (208 posts) -

Such a shame. I thought devs had gotten beyond this issue of having to spend extra time on the Wii U version of their game.

#23 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (590 posts) -

No one buys Nintendo for party 3nd party games anyway. Better late than never.

Did Nintendo rape your wife and burn down your house? Every Post you make is anti-Nintendo novels of a post.

#24 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9556 posts) -

This is one of the reasons third party titles fail on Nintendo consoles.

#25 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@big_mak523 said:

It did.

EDIT: Well, since I can't delete posts without a freaking time limit now, I have to make an edit, and after what I read above. Nevermind, disregard this.

#26 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@kenakuma said:

Smart business move. Gives them a better forecast for sales and the option to just cancel it all together to cut potential losses.

Considering this makes the Wii U version ALMOST non-existent by comparison, not really.

#27 Posted by Micropixel (882 posts) -

Project Cars won't release on Wii U until 2015, Bandai Namco has confirmed. The game is still due to release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC in November.

"To confirm .@WMDCars #projectcars will release November on #ps4 #xboxone #pc and #WiiU is coming 2015," Bandai Namco UK's marketing & PR director Lee Kirton tweeted this morning.

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/project_cars/news/project_cars_wont_release_on_wii_u_until_2015.html

So just like Ubisoft's Watch_Dogs, the Wii U version is another unimportant, low priority project for publishers because of the consistently terrible third-party sales.

This also shows that porting isn't an easy four week "quickie" but takes months of work, testing, optimization, employee compensation (they need to be paid don't they?), and after the marketing/manufacturing the costs are too high, and the Wii U return is not enough to cover expenses or make a profit. They want to make money, not send it to die and lose more money, as some keep suggesting. It's almost as if starting these Wii U versions in the first place is what they regretted, and they're stuck in that awkward in-between phase of an uncompleted Wii U version on their hands, taking attention away from the other more successful platforms, and another Wii U game that's probably going to make them lose more money in the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai/Namco and Ubisoft have their fingers on the "ABORT" button and are veery close to cancelling the Wii U versions.

As usual, Speak has some of his facts mixed up. But that's okay. There are those of us here who do keep track stuff to help clarify things. :)

Project Cars development began in 2011 for PC and Wii U. The game was green-lit a couple of years later for PS3 and XBOX 360, but then dropped on both systems in favor of the newly released PS4 and Xbox One systems this past November. The game was originally due to be released in 2013, but was pushed back to fall 2014 for all formats. For Wii U, it's currently been delayed again until 2015 (no word on how far into 2015 fans will have to wait).

Now, there is rumor that the reason for the delay is that Slightly Mad Studios wants more time for perfecting Gamepad integration on Wii U (which makes sense, since Ubisoft had similar comments regarding Watch_Dogs). However, there is no official reason anywhere on why the game is actually being delayed on Wii U.

Slightly Mad Studios has constantly reassured Wii U fans that the game is indeed coming and will be very promising in contrast to it's Sony and Microsoft counterparts.

#28 Posted by HitmanActual (339 posts) -

@speak_low said:

As usual, Speak has some of his facts mixed up. But that's okay. There are those of us here who do keep track stuff to help clarify things. :)

Project Cars development began in 2011 for PC and Wii U. The game was green-lit a couple of years later for PS3 and XBOX 360, but then dropped on both systems in favor of the newly released PS4 and Xbox One systems this past November. The game was originally due to be released in 2013, but was pushed back to fall 2014 for all formats. For Wii U, it's currently been delayed again until 2015 (no word on how far into 2015 fans will have to wait).

Now, there is rumor that the reason for the delay is that Slightly Mad Studios wants more time for perfecting Gamepad integration on Wii U (which makes sense, since Ubisoft had similar comments regarding Watch_Dogs). However, there is no official reason anywhere on why the game is actually being delayed on Wii U.

Slightly Mad Studios has constantly reassured Wii U fans that the game is indeed coming and will be very promising in contrast to it's Sony and Microsoft counterparts.

It takes time to get the right sounding horn when you touch the gamepad.

#29 Edited by Micropixel (882 posts) -
@hitmanactual said:

It takes time to get the right sounding horn when you touch the gamepad.

Believe me, I agree with you!

I don't think there's much use for the Gamepad in a racing game. The Wii U has some pretty solid racers in Mario Kart 8, Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed, Need For Speed: Most Wanted and F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition. NONE of those games makes great use of the Gamepad or even warrants the need for one at all.

#30 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4231 posts) -

lolWiiU

You can't say that any more and not look stupid.

#31 Edited by freedomfreak (40008 posts) -

Wouldn't buy the WiiU version anyway.

#32 Edited by scatteh316 (4909 posts) -

#33 Posted by lglz1337 (3421 posts) -

WII-ScrewsU

#34 Posted by DocSanchez (1590 posts) -
#35 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25157 posts) -

Expected. 3rd parties are just jumping ship at this point.

A shame since these guys had been defending WiiU a lot.

#36 Posted by superbuuman (2757 posts) -

Expected. 3rd parties are just jumping ship at this point.

A shame since these guys had been defending WiiU a lot.

All the more reason Nintendo needs to buy Capcom or make them a 2nd party developer. :P

#37 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7425 posts) -

Game is going to tank on the WiiU.

And lolWiiU

#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16456 posts) -

Wii U'll have to wait

#39 Posted by blackace (20580 posts) -

Lol. Wii U disaster after disaster. How long has it got left? That's the question people should be asking.

Well, with them winning the E3, I think it's going to be around for awhile. It's currently outselling the PS4 in Japan, which is a bit strange since the Wii U has be there for well over a year now.

#40 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4744 posts) -
@blackace said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Well, with them winning the E3, I think it's going to be around for awhile. It's currently outselling the PS4 in Japan, which is a bit strange since the Wii U has be there for well over a year now.

Japan is a minor market as of now. Lets face it. World wide PS4 has far out sold the Wii U in less than a third the time Wii U has been released. People like to ignore that.

#41 Posted by locopatho (20238 posts) -

Lol. I remember when this was a PC/WiiU game that the occasional sheep hyped. Surprising no one, Xbox and PS and PC get a 3rd party game :D

#42 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -
#43 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

All the more reason Nintendo needs to buy Capcom or make them a 2nd party developer. :P

Don't even joke about it. The last thing Nintendo needs is to exclusively own those scam artists. That and the last thing Nintendo needs is more outrage.

#44 Posted by -Damien- (5335 posts) -

hahahaha.....this project originally started as WiiU project, now WiiU ends up getting it last

#45 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

hahahaha.....this project originally started as WiiU project, now WiiU ends up getting it last

Uh... above posts say it was a PC project first.

#47 Posted by NFJSupreme (5299 posts) -

the irony of all this is that sheep were hyping this game up last year when it was just a PC/WiiU. Either they are having troubling getting this to run on WiiU or they don't consider the WiiU a priority anymore and are focusing on the other platforms that are likely to be more lucrative.

#48 Posted by ActicEdge (24464 posts) -

Well, will buy used confirmed. This is slimely by SMS and while I'll play their game, I don't see why I'll go through the avenue of giving them money to do so if I don't have to.

#49 Posted by nini200 (9697 posts) -
#50 Posted by DocSanchez (1590 posts) -

@NFJSupreme: Hyping? Gloating. They haven't mentioned it recently.