Prior to Half-Life, Quake 2 was the best FPS

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8548 posts) -

Don't you just miss Quake 2? I found the game to be the best from the series. I don't like twitchy, ultra-fast style of Quake 3, it's too arcadey to me.

Moreover, it's a game that translated really well across even consoles (I remember having a blast on PS1 with my bro and friends on split-screen!).

And what is more it elevated the concept of an old-school shooter to new heights, especially when it came to level architecture, which was extremely nuanced, varied and multi-dimensional.

It was also exploration-heavy, featured numerous secrets, only possible to access with rocket / grenade jumping (SOMETHING UNTHINKABLE FOR CASUALS FROM 2014!)

At that time, its campaign was second to none, it was a huge experience with its extremely horrific images and violence. Upon the completion, you felt a huge psychological relief and a sense of fullfilment that it is over.

Unfortunately, this kind of formula has never been followed up neither by id software themselves nor anyone else in a meaningful way.

And I really do miss it.

Do you?

Quake, not only DOOM meant something once too!

#2 Edited by 2mrw (4959 posts) -

I always thought that HL2 wasnt a good shooter .... i agree on quake being an awesome shooter .... 2 and 3.

2 for aingle player and 1 for single player

#3 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

because prior to Half life 1. FPS genre was complete crap.

after Half life 1 we see horde of milestone title like System shock 2 and Deus Ex. and than ofcourse Half life 2

#4 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8548 posts) -

#5 Posted by IgGy621985 (4745 posts) -

Yeah. I didn't like Q3 Arena at all.

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16439 posts) -

What ? I love Quake 3. Twitch shooting at its best.

#7 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

The peak of FPS genre was 2004 (Half life 2, Riddick, Far cry, Doom 3) or 2007 (Crysis/Stalker/TF2/HL2EP2)

#8 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6726 posts) -

I dabbled me some Quake back in the day. Right now I am working on a classic FPS app for Microsoft. (that last part isn't a fact).

#9 Posted by 35cent (898 posts) -

Played a lot of Quake 2 on the N64. Really enjoyable game and I liked Quake 3 also.

#10 Posted by AcidTango (566 posts) -

Quake 2 is still a awesome game.

#11 Posted by quakke (181 posts) -

Quake II is the most masculine FPS of all time.

My own personal development is significantly inspired by Quake II also.

#12 Edited by nini200 (9690 posts) -

I prefer Unreal Tournament to Quake. Too much fun was had with Unreal Tournament.

#13 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2938 posts) -

Quake 2 is an awesome game

#14 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4642 posts) -

Yes. I miss quake 2. But I found it overall equally as enjoyable as Quake 3.

#15 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Unreal was the best fps before HL.

#16 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4642 posts) -
@Cranler said:

Unreal was the best fps before HL.

good taste.

#17 Posted by Ballroompirate (22757 posts) -

Half Life 1 and Quake are overrated. It was all about Wolfenstein /Doom/ Duke Nukem for the single player while CS was for your MP needs.

#18 Edited by uninspiredcup (8272 posts) -

Multiplayer wise Quake 2. Single player wise, Quake 2.

Great game if you like brown. Lots of brown.

#19 Edited by uninspiredcup (8272 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Half Life 1 and Quake are overrated

My friend this is a hipster response devoid of thinking other than "because, just".

"because, just" is not reality my chumling, come back to the light.

#20 Posted by organic_machine (9685 posts) -

Yes, TC, you've summed up my feelings of the game. It was old school yes, but such an advancement of old school. It really was the last of its kind.

#21 Posted by lostrib (35766 posts) -

i was always more of an Unreal fan

#22 Posted by quakke (181 posts) -
#23 Posted by AdrianWerner (28007 posts) -

I liked it, but not this much. The MP was awesome, but SP felt flat. Too little variation, weak story and boring enviorements. Jedi Knight, Blood 2, Hexen 2 and Strife were much more satysfing to me.

#24 Posted by KittenNose (465 posts) -

The only thing good about Half Life is Freeman's Mind. I will take Unreal Tournament any day of the week.

#25 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8548 posts) -

I liked it, but not this much. The MP was awesome, but SP felt flat. Too little variation, weak story and boring enviorements. Jedi Knight, Blood 2, Hexen 2 and Strife were much more satysfing to me.

Jedi Knight and Hexen 2 are absolute classics!

Anyway, Alien Trilogy is another great game from that period.

#26 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Both are mediocre.

#27 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

because prior to Half life 1. FPS genre was complete crap.

after Half life 1 we see horde of milestone title like System shock 2 and Deus Ex. and than ofcourse Half life 2

Oi vey.