Price of PS4 to brazilian market U$ 1.839,42! Fair?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

torresmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 torresmu
Member since 2013 • 32 Posts

Sony announced the price for PS4 in brazilian market: U$ 1.839,42! To compare the price of xbox one for U$ 1.015,93! This is how a serious company deal with your consumers? If MS make this price with a system 100 bucks more expensive, how sony can explain they price? What u guys think about?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@torresmu:

I will hate myself for this, as I am a hermit, but...sources ?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Probably true, as the pre-order price of PS4 in Argentina is 1200 U$. But there is a trick here. It´s 1200U$ if calculating the price by an official exchange, while, in reality, in Argentina, there is a prohibition for buying US dollars.

The official exchange is 5.6 pesos / 1U$. But as I said you can´t buy U$ from state banks.

Instead, you can buy them at unofficial price, in exchange houses, for 9.5 pesos / 1U$

The price of PS4 in pesos in Argentina is 6500$. It seems that Sony is pricing their PS4 based on an unofficial price of U$.

400U$ plus 50% of import tax = 600U$ = 5700 pesos

Still kinda expensive, but close to a real economical situation of the country.

The thing is PS4 for 6500 pesos = the price of gtx780. So it´s better to just upgrade.

So in Latin America is much cheaper to be a PC Gamer

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Dont know if its true but launch prices console manufacturers announce only apply on US. Here in europe apparently they think 1$=1€ and we are getting screwed. Ps4 for those Sony fanboys that think that is only $400 in reality is $550 ( prices at amazon.de and amazon fr , also amazon.uk is similar price ). And while pc hardware prices are also inflated they arent that bad . I'm not even gonna talk about game prices

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

Dont know if its true but launch prices console manufacturers announce only apply on US. Here in europe apparently they think 1$=1€ and we are getting screwed. Ps4 for those Sony fanboys that think that is only $400 in reality is $550 ( prices at amazon.de and amazon fr , also amazon.uk is similar price ). And while pc hardware prices are also inflated they arent that bad . I'm not even gonna talk about game prices

EU prices have VAT (tax) included. US prices don't have tax.

iamcookieman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 iamcookieman
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Here's a sources in English and Portuguese:
http://blog.br.playstation.com/2013/10/17/anunciado-o-preco-do-ps4/
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/18071/article/ps4-costs-1-850-usd-in-brazil/

Also the prices for each game will be around $82.81. This is pretty absurd news, most likely MS just won almost all of Sony's market in Brazil.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Icarian said:

@adamosmaki said:

EU prices have VAT (tax) included. US prices don't have tax.

I know that but still VAT in most Eu countries ( including Germany i took the prices ) is about 20% so that would come to $480 and not $550 but most electronics companies the just do 1$=1€ and dont really care

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

The PS4 is the best value in gaming ATM, no denying it.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

first of all, i dont think you are aware of how things in Brazil work. Brazil is infamous for having ridiculous import taxes.

And second, imagine just how much more the Xbox Juan will cost of there...

You have to be an idiot to think that those prices are set by SONY.

Rodrigaoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Rodrigaoc
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

True Story. I'm brazilian and this is the final price.It's not about Sony,it's about government.This is the price because 70 % are just taxes.We Brazilians are sick of it.The Brazil Game Show will be different this year.I don't know why but the Xbox one will coast half of the price.

Zacker_1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Zacker_1989
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

First of all, in general eletronics are cheaper in Brazil than in Argentina, so if the PS4 costs 1300 U$ in Argentina, it should cost less in Brazil.
I tell this taking in consideration prices of smartphones such as Galaxy S4 and iPhone... and consoles like PS3, Xbox 360 etc..

@rodrigaoc said:

True Story. I'm brazilian and this is the final price.It's not about Sony,it's about government.This is the price because 70 % are just taxes.We Brazilians are sick of it.The Brazil Game Show will be different this year.I don't know why but the Xbox one will coast half of the price.

I'm brazilian as well, and actually you are pretty wrong.

It's about Sony Brazil, not about Sony international nor the government.
If you dont know Sony Brazil has a president that is the guy who is in charge for Sony produtcs in Brazil,

Why its not the government?
Pretty simple.. Xbox ONE and PS4 have pretty much the same tax values applied to their price.
Since PS4 is cheaper than One, it should be cheaper here as well.

If the government would f* any company, it would be Microsoft, since Sony actually makes the PS3 in Brazil, to get some advantages from the government.

---------------------------------------

Now a theory that comes to my mind that might explain the reason of this price adopted by Sony Brazil.

Lately i've read news about chineses workers being obligued to work more than they should producing the PS4..
Why? Mainly because Sony knows the demand will probably be bigger than the supply.

And being launched one month before Christmas, we know PS4 will sell a lot in USA, where it will be launched first.
So why would they actually sell PS4 for a cheap price in Brazil? For Sony Brazil its better to actually sell a few in Brazil and get a big proft while still being able to kill Microsoft's console in other market...

After Christmas and after the demand decreases, the PS4 price will suddenly go down to same price as the ONE.

When PS3 was launched here, it was 8.000 R$ (U$ 4.000) (not official launch though)
Sony just launched the PS3 officially here one year later, for 1.999 R$ (800 U$). Today its price is around 400 ~500 U$.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I've already posted this story in a thread.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps4-to-cost-1850-in-brazil-xbox-one-to-cost-1016-30859168/#23

This one can be locked and closed. Brazilian should be snapping up those cheap XB1 while they can. I don't think Brazil with actually get many units of either game console anyways. Sony has very small amounts allocated to all those smaller countries. Only the U.S., UK, Australia and several rich Euro countries will be getting the bulk of the PS4's.