Pre-Orders For Xbox One In Japan Pretty Much Nonexistant

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The Xbox One is launching in Japan today, but it doesn't sound like the Japanese are very excited about it...

Microsoft and Xbox have never had much success in the Japanese market. That’s just a sad fact of life, and how things have been. You sort of come to accept that, in spite of some concerted efforts made by Microsoft to push the Xbox in Japan (particularly with the Xbox 360 in its early years), the Japanese people don’t seem to, well, give a **** about Xbox.

Sad, isn’t it?

If you were one of those people who was actually expecting that to change with the Xbox One- and honestly, there was a more real chance of that happening than you’d think- well, it doesn’t seem like the Japanese are interested in Microsoft’s offering this time around, as an industry insider has confirmed that pre-orders for the Xbox One are minimal, and that Microsoft will almost certainly have a minimal presence at the Tokyo Game Show.

That, right there, is pretty telling (and if Microsoft's presence at the Tokyo Game Show is indeed minimal, it will basically seal the fate of the Xbox One from the get go).

Unfortunately, Microsoft itself has high hopes from the Xbox One, even though it seems pretty obvious that the console won't exactly set the charts on fire there.

“I want a better performance than our past consoles. With a generational change between game consoles there’s a possibility that the market share could shift as well. We have set big goals,” said head of Xbox in Japan, Takashi Sensui.

It’s an admirable goal, and really, I wish them all the best- I want the Xbox to do well in Japan, the more consoles that do well there, the better it is for me as a gamer in the end- but I simply don’t think it’s going to happen. Outside of a few odd games like Persona, Final Fantasy, and some of Nintendo’s stuff, I’m not sure the Japanese care anymore.

I hope the Xbox One does well, because, well, I want a thriving console market, but it seems less and less likely...

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Lies Amazon Japan had high pre-orders.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

They shouldnt even waste their time with that market. MS doesnt need Japan to be successful.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Apparently the PS4 is doing abysmal in Japan as well. Like everyone said, Japan lost interest in console gaming.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

its going to be more like this picture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@primorandomguy said:

Apparently the PS4 is doing abysmal in Japan as well. Like everyone said, Japan lost interest in console gaming.

PS4 is doing abysmal now, but it has a chance to have a legitimate resurgence in the market. Where is the Xbox One's chance to do that?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

the lines are pretty empty

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/09/03/as-xbox-one-launches-in-japan-akihabara-gamers-really-arent-standing-in-line/

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xhawk27

MS should pay up for Monster Hunter again.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

But Amazon of Japan sold all 5 preorders.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Japanese Team, Xbox Division

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Primorandomguy

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

PS4 is doing abysmal now, but it has a chance to have a legitimate resurgence in the market. Where is the Xbox One's chance to do that?

What legitimate resurgence does the PS4 have a chance of fulfilling? If Japan has moved onto handhelds and mobile gaming, then both the PS4 and Xbox One will probably do poorly through the whole generation. I don't really see a resurgence occurring.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xhawk27

@Basinboy said:

Looks like Sony Vita Division in North America.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

What legitimate resurgence does the PS4 have a chance of fulfilling? If Japan has moved onto handhelds and mobile gaming, then both the PS4 and Xbox One will probably do poorly through the whole generation. I don't really see a resurgence occurring.

And where does this idea that Japan moved towards handheld and mobile gaming come from? The last generation, most of the games Japan wanted came from handhelds, so they moved to handhelds. Are you telling me that if consoles get legitimately good games, the Japanese market will continue to ignore them?

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

All the TC needed was a William Usher from CinemaBlend article for the trifecta of heavily biased fanboy websites masquerading as legit gaming news sources.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xhawk27

@charizard1605:

Once Nintendo starts to put Mario games on phones it's over!!!!

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Primorandomguy

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

And where does this idea that Japan moved towards handheld and mobile gaming come from? The last generation, most of the games Japan wanted came from handhelds, so they moved to handhelds. Are you telling me that if consoles get legitimately good games, the Japanese market will continue to ignore them?

If i had to take a guess, I'd say yes, they'd continue to ignore them. It's a trend they're setting. I just think the country as a whole has lost interest in console gaming, and not just because the consoles are lacking games they'd like. I think the Wii-U selling poorly over there is a good indication.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

People said that Japan moved towards handhelds last generation, and yet the PS3 still sold around 10 mil, around 1/8th the total PS3 sales. Mario Kart seems to have given the Wii U a solid boost, and when there is more software that a Japanese audience will prefer, the PS4 will get a boost. IF, after there is a solid amount of software released, and the consoles sales don't improve, then yes, we can say that console gaming is on a downward spiral for Japan.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

look, all fanboyish hate aside, bottomline is the xbox sucks period. sony are just the best japanese ppl are one ppl out of many that knows sony makes the best products. japan is traditional and knows royalty and playstation is king. Sony Wins Another Generation

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@_SWAG_ said:

look, all fanboyish hate aside, bottomline is the xbox sucks period. sony are just the best japanese ppl are one ppl out of many that knows sony makes the best products. japan is traditional and knows royalty and playstation is king. Sony Wins Another Generation

lol coming from probably the worst cow on the forum

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

If i had to take a guess, I'd say yes, they'd continue to ignore them. It's a trend they're setting. I just think the country as a whole has lost interest in console gaming, and not just because the consoles are lacking games they'd like. I think the Wii-U selling poorly over there is a good indication.

once the jrpgs that they are planning hit ps4 it will resurface on japan, i don't see this happening with xbone.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

@Basinboy said:

They share the same office space. Cheaper that way.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

only people buying it are westerners living in japan i bet

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Eh, I just get the feeling that the Japanese are prejudiced against the West.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Basinboy said:

@xhawk27 said:

@Basinboy said:

This either implies that Sony's American Vita office is in Japan, or Xbox's Japanese office. Either way, that makes sense.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45098 Posts

One of your better threads :p

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@primorandomguy said:

Its because of the trains. Lived there a couple years, if you take the train you have gobs of down time. Its perfect for grinding levels in rpg's.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm not surprised honestly. I don't think the Xbox ever appealed to the Japanese market.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Xbox in Japan is about as popular as hitler was in the war.....Xbox One is junk across the board and world, let alone Japan.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@xhawk27: Never going to happen and can't happen currently. Nintendo and Capcom have a contract that gives Nintendo Monster Hunter as an exclusive till 2015, and with the 3DS being Capcom's best friend it wont leave the 3DS to go on the horrible and lame Xbox One where nobody on Xbox likes Japanese games anyway lol.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Japan has never bought Xbox. So why is this news?!

Only people in the U.S. buy Xbox.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@_SWAG_ said:

lol coming from probably the worst cow on the forum

I am still like 90% certain that he is a troll account.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 resevl4rlz
@xhawk27 said:

you got a link to support your argument

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@resevl4rlz said:
@xhawk27 said:

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

No one gives a flying F about the Xbone in NA and some were expecting it to do well where MS never did half decently? Okay...

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Wonder if MS are on full damage control yet?

Nobody on here is even talking about they have pretty much abandoned the Kinect in the Netherlands by not localising the speech recognition, even though the reason they gave for delaying the launch was to do that.

That comes next.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By resevl4rlz
@clyde46 said:

@resevl4rlz said:
@xhawk27 said:

damn my joke radar sucks

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Good job creating a cow circle jerk thread mod.

I mean seriously, is this really news and post worthy? Who here actually thought Xbox anything was going to sell in Japan? Hell, not even the PS4 is selling in Japan.

Bad thread is bad

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#38 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

The Persona 5 announcement kinda killed the Xbone launch. The guys at Sony are geniuses for a having a great conference prior to the competitor's debut in the east.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@resevl4rlz said:

and yet 360 won last gen. had the best games and best looking multi plats.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Meh. An American console will never do well in Japan. Most of Europe and Japan will always belong to Sony no matter what MS does.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By resevl4rlz

@ps4hasnogames said:

@resevl4rlz said:

oh please the wii won last gen, nice try

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

MS is doing it all wrong. Remember Milo, that little boy you could talk to through Kinect and ask him "how was school" and shit. Well, MS needed to make one for the Japanese, but instead of a little boy make a tarted up underage schoolgirl. "Senpai, I bought some new cloths today would you like me to try them on? Oh Senpai, I showed you mine now show me yours. Oh Senpai, it's so big I'm gonna need two hands!" Japanese would so buy that shit.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@Basinboy said:

@xhawk27 said:

@Basinboy said:

Nah if it were a sony building it would have been sold by now :P

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Eh, I just get the feeling that the Japanese are prejudiced against the West.

This is a lazy argument. Why are Apple iPhones the most popular in the Japanese market? Maybe they just know a shitty product when they see one.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I think the xbox one will sell about 20%-25% of what the 360 sold by the end of the gen. I do not think MS cares that much about that market.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@resevl4rlz said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@resevl4rlz said:

nice try? lol the wii was a paper weight. all hype. the system that grandmas and soccer moms bought on home shopping network. alan wake, gears of war, halo 3-4 and the gorgeous xbox 360 version of red dead redemption (best game last gen). was enough to seal the deal. left 4 dead 1 and 2 were the icing on the cake.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#47 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Xbone won't even bother to get region appropriate games if it does badly. They might just give up on the region entirely.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@resevl4rlz said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@resevl4rlz said:

nice try? lol the wii was a paper weight. all hype. the system that grandmas and soccer moms bought on home shopping network. alan wake, gears of war, halo 3-4 and the gorgeous xbox 360 version of red dead redemption (best game last gen). was enough to seal the deal. left 4 dead 1 and 2 were the icing on the cake.

wii won sales. thats one proof.

judging game library is sooo subjective...there is soo many ways to look at quality of games.

you can judge through metacritic but therre are detractors of that because not every website is trusted

you can judge through one websites scores but theres also detractors saying its just one sites opinion

you can judge quality of library through sheer number, but detractors have said that it should be % of library

the old sw only counted AAA scores, while some people count AA and AAA, and other people count A / AA / AAA. and all of those people cant even agree weather to put only exclusives, console exclusives (as if pc isnt another platform. some of you lemmings need to stop thinking hermits are lemmings) or like in your case, MULTI PLATS.

and even then now both sides have flip flopped...SW and fanboys will always change the rules as long as it favors your favorite console.

lets just keep it at sales is what i say...wii won last gen

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Who cares about Japan, even the PS4 isn't selling well there, so why would Xbox One do any better

You should ask MS that, why are they even trying?