Pre Old school shooters, Old shool or modern shooters? POLL

• 69 results
Edited 6 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Pre Old school shooters, Old shool or modern shooters? POLL (35 votes)

Pre Old School (Doom, Quake, Wolf 3d) 17%
Old School (Half life, Deus Ex, System shock) 49%
Modern Shooters (COD, Halo, Killzone) 34%

So ppls, which type of shooters you like most? to me old school easily. Pre old school games are very overrated imo. they are nothing but just run n gun.

true old school shooters start with Half life and that game made FPS my fav genre. so to me stuff like Half life, Deus Ex, system shock or stalker are best type of FPS. it involve not only shooting but exploring too.

and than trend of modern shooters. QTE, cover system, regen health, cinematics...

so what type of FPS u like most?

#1 Posted by freedomfreak (40182 posts) -

Modern. QTEs, cover system, regen health, cinematics... All of this makes for a much more forgiving, and enjoyable experience.

Old games suck.

#2 Edited by naz99 (1318 posts) -

@freedomfreak: Hahaha oh you Kidder...you a funny guy:p

Who cares what school they are....as long as they are good

#3 Edited by quakke (186 posts) -

You got it wrong. Old School is actually DOOM and Quake, and Mid School/Post-Old School is Half-Life and Halo: CE.

Old School all the way since it's about pure fun.

#4 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16492 posts) -

Searching levels for health packs is too hard, hiding behind a chest high wall to get the blood of your screen is way more realistic.

Switching between more than 2 weapons is also really hard, so I'm glad they got rid of it.

#5 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2997 posts) -

Old School shooters FTW . No more , press x to trigger cutscene , garbage please . More Shadow Warrior , Hard Reset and less Halo , Killzone , and crap of duty .

#6 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2997 posts) -

Modern. QTEs, cover system, regen health, cinematics... All of this makes for a much more forgiving, and enjoyable experience.

Old games suck.

QTEs are one of the worst things that happened to game industry . QTEs are implemented because devs are too lazy these days to implement proper AI for boss battles .

Press X on time : You win cutscene . Press x late : You lose cutscene . In 2nd case , you die and game loads from a checkpoint that you activated 2 seconds ago , then you walk for 2 seconds and trigger same QTE sequence again and this time you succeed : Yay ! , you won kiddo . That's so fun "enjoyable experience" (Sarcasm)

Old games also used to have cutscenes but only when needed . Modern games are all about cutscenes and very less about gameplay . And Regen health .? Come on man . I never ever played Total War games until few years ago and once I did , it was so addicting that I couldn't stop even the game difficulty kicked ass . I stopped when I finished the campaign . Reason .? Challenge and rewarding experience that you don't find in dull modern shooters . If you own a PC then play Shadow Warrior , it is an excellent old school shooter for modern audience or wait for PS4 release . You'll see how shooters are done.

#7 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

fuck new games

#8 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16008 posts) -

I kinda like all three groups. Where does Far Cry 3 (with all training wheels and minimap turned off) fall under? No UI on screen. Same thing with Crysis 3. Everything I have to keep track of mentally. UI have to be turned on obviously if mandatory hacking is required. But, I keep it to a minimum.

As for the older games, I still play with Quake 2 on my netbook.

#9 Edited by gMcR (216 posts) -

I would have to say modern. Red Orchestra 2, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, Crysis 1, Half-Life 2 + the episodes are some of my favorites.

#10 Edited by freedomfreak (40182 posts) -

QTEs are one of the worst things that happened to game industry . QTEs are implemented because devs are too lazy these days to implement proper AI for boss battles .

Press X on time : You win cutscene . Press x late : You lose cutscene . In 2nd case , you die and game loads from a checkpoint that you activated 2 seconds ago , then you walk for 2 seconds and trigger same QTE sequence again and this time you succeed : Yay ! , you won kiddo . That's so fun "enjoyable experience" (Sarcasm)

Old games also used to have cutscenes but only when needed . Modern games are all about cutscenes and very less about gameplay . And Regen health .? Come on man . I never ever played Total War games until few years ago and once I did , it was so addicting that I couldn't stop even the game difficulty kicked ass . I stopped when I finished the campaign . Reason .? Challenge and rewarding experience that you don't find in dull modern shooters . If you own a PC then play Shadow Warrior , it is an excellent old school shooter for modern audience or wait for PS4 release . You'll see how shooters are done.

Yeah, man. It's easy to point and click to kill.

QTEs, on the other hand, requires precision, reflexes, a big brain, and lots more. Like you said, you mess up, you lose. That's about as hardcore and challenging as it is gonna get.

It is by far the most satisfying way of overcoming a challenging situation.

#11 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2997 posts) -

@freedomfreak: QTEs aren't challenging . They don't need strategy , you just press what game tells you . Just like how you press Space bar in VLC player to stop the movie and press it again to resume . What is difference in movies and games then .? May you are not understanding , how rewarding it is to engage in actual boss fight . QTE events just distract you from real cutscene , it is not fun to bash controller . It is more fun to complete a mission , sit back and watch a cool cutscene .

#12 Posted by delta3074 (18143 posts) -

old school shooters like HL2,doom 3,d deus ex, chronicles of riddick and unreal tournament for me.

#13 Posted by delta3074 (18143 posts) -

Old games suck.

i don't mind QTE's if they are not overdone and they actually add to the gaming experience But i do like to be challenged in a game which is why old school twitch shooters are my fave games.

There nothing wrong with QTE's as long as they are done properly, i play a lot of android games and they have a lot of QTE's but they are challenging and very much a part of the games on android, take temple run for example, it's a game that revolves around QTE's and my fave game at the moment which is Batman arkham City lockdown which is very similar to infinity blade.

There ain't no school like the old school though.

#14 Edited by freedomfreak (40182 posts) -

QTEs aren't challenging . They don't need strategy , you just press what game tells you . Just like how you press Space bar in VLC player to stop the movie and press it again to resume . What is difference in movies and games then .? May you are not understanding , how rewarding it is to engage in actual boss fight . QTE events just distract you from real cutscene , it is not fun to bash controller . It is more fun to complete a mission , sit back and watch a cool cutscene .

Oh, so you know what button is about to be shown? You're a psychic?

No, you are not. You are as helpless as anyone when it comes down to these riveting QTEs. They are the epitome of anticipation. Your palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy when you have to wait for the button prompt. It's something you just don't get from watching a cutscene, and speaking of movies, that's what cutscenes are. You don't even have to press play, because the game does it for you. It's that simple.

And here you are trying to argue that QTEs are worse. I shake my head in your general direction, Cloud_imperium.

Your avatar says it all. Even The Witcher 2 implemented QTEs as a way of letting the player experience engaging gameplay. You know it. I know it. The developers know it.

#15 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

QTE=TAKE U OUTTA THE GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE

#16 Posted by MonsieurX (30038 posts) -

QTE=TAKE U OUTTA THE GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE

You should change your name to quakeistrash

#17 Posted by clone01 (24677 posts) -

Anime.

#18 Posted by jsmoke03 (12871 posts) -

counter strike and cod 4 are my favorite fps of all time. so whatever category that falls into.

#20 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2997 posts) -

@freedomfreak: There are 3-4 QTE events in Witcher 2 and those can be completely turned off from options . I never said that those QTEs were a good thing in the game despite being next to none . They are not including any of them in Witcher 3 at all , and I think that's the step in right direction . You are assuming too much here .

#21 Edited by quakke (186 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto:

Far Cry 3 falls under Modern since it's packed with everything that's considered standard thesedays. Far Cry 1 (2004) falls under Mid School since it doesn't have the modern standards.

Quake II is a true king. Nothing like that awesome metal music while killing awesome enemies in awesome enviroments with awesome weapons that have balls awesome sounds.

#22 Posted by Twizded (97 posts) -

Better graphics and cover system ftw. I can't get off, if I can't see brain particles. lol

#23 Posted by mariokart64fan (19470 posts) -

goldeneye 64 ftw

#24 Edited by PAL360 (26844 posts) -

Thats subjective. I voted old school because of the games you posted. There are awesome modern shooters, though, like Bioshock Infinite, Metro LL, Planetside 2, Halo, Battlefield 4 (multiplayer), etc...

#25 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3548 posts) -

Well, since anything old sucks (Doom, Quake, Wolfenstien, and so on), it's gotta be modern. Those games are actually good.

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (40182 posts) -

There are 3-4 QTE events in Witcher 2 and those can be completely turned off from options . I never said that those QTEs were a good thing in the game despite being next to none . They are not including any of them in Witcher 3 at all , and I think that's the step in right direction . You are assuming too much here .

How about the rest of my post?

Sweaty palms, all that.

#27 Posted by foxhound_fox (88107 posts) -

I enjoy games from all those eras.

#28 Posted by Stringerboy (6975 posts) -

Old school. I could play half life any day.

#29 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

There are 3-4 QTE events in Witcher 2 and those can be completely turned off from options . I never said that those QTEs were a good thing in the game despite being next to none . They are not including any of them in Witcher 3 at all , and I think that's the step in right direction . You are assuming too much here .

How about the rest of my post?

Sweaty palms, all that.

I don't agree with rest of the post . Take a chill pill dude , it's just my opinion . Never said "Old Games Suck" or "New Games Suck" , just saying that QTEs are bad design choice . Keep it minimum and give us choice to turn them off , games like COD over use them . Not every game needs to be Press X to win cinematic game , which is fun experience according to your original post .

#30 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7490 posts) -

LOL pre-old school.

Modern shooters of course. QTE's, linearity, cover systems, regen health, are all essential for making a great shooter.

And online with perks too.

#31 Edited by freedomfreak (40182 posts) -

I don't agree with rest of the post . Take a chill pill dude , it's just my opinion . Never said "Old Games Suck" or "New Games Suck" , just saying that QTEs are bad design choice . Keep it minimum and give us choice to turn them off , games like COD over use them . Not every game needs to be Press X to win cinematic game , which is fun experience according to your original post .

I am as chill as a cucumber, man.

And it is the greatest experience there is, which I explained. QTEs are best. You know it. I know it. The developers know it.

#32 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2997 posts) -
@Cloud_imperium said:

I am as chill as a cucumber, man.

And it is the greatest experience there is, which I explained. QTEs are best. You know it. I know it. The developers know it.

I respect your opinion . I don't like them , too many games are made around them to support linearity . Anyways , have fun :-)

#33 Edited by pyro1245 (772 posts) -

i chose old school.....but it was a very hard decision since all three of those categories have some great entries.

#34 Posted by freedomfreak (40182 posts) -

I respect your opinion . I don't like them , too many games are made around them to support linearity . Anyways , have fun :-)

Wait... You respect my opinion?

#35 Edited by steamistrash (427 posts) -

i cannot stand games that dont put you right into the action like half lifes long ass boring train ride and talking to npc's/people before you get to start shooting.

i like the duke nukem 3d style.....his airplane crashes start kicking some ass

#36 Posted by mems_1224 (47022 posts) -

Old school shooters are too shitty and unrealistic.

#38 Edited by MonsieurX (30038 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Old school shooters are too shitty and unrealistic.

That's the whole point of a game to be able to do things you couldnt ever do in real life even if u tried.

new fps hold ur hand like some 2 year old baby f0ggot and no fps are realistic so u might aswell stick to not even trying to be realstic.

You should play more outside heeweee

#39 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16008 posts) -

Hard Reset Extended Edition is another favorite of mine.

#40 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

Duke Nukem is probalby most childish shooter ever made. stript clubs, hordes of monsters and protoganist try too hard to be badass.

its bad, very very bad.

Half life 1 was first mature FPS that bring lot of ppls into FPS genre. if it were not for valve and half life. FPS genre would be one of my most hated.

also

RTCW - better than wolf 3d

Doom 3 - better than doom 2.

#41 Edited by steamistrash (427 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@steamistrash said:

Duke Nukem is probalby most childish shooter ever made. stript clubs, hordes of monsters and protoganist try too hard to be badass.

its bad, very very bad.

Half life 1 was first mature FPS that bring lot of ppls into FPS genre. if it were not for valve and half life. FPS genre would be one of my most hated.

also

RTCW - better than wolf 3d

Doom 3 - better than doom 2.

duke nukem 3 is better than half life dude lol.

but wolfenstein 3d and doom2 were held back by technology limitations i agree on those.

duke nukem 3d has more attention to detail than half life easily in level design far superior.

even tho engine inferior to quake1 which is the engine used for half life 1 it's not inferior enough to effect level design.

lol u must be some fps noob, half life was kinda cool at first woohoo i can talk to people omg story but once u get older its actually a shittier game easily.

#42 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

duke nukem 3 is better than half life dude lol.

sure if u are too young cuz duke nukem is childish immature game.

ol u must be some fps noob

u really teaching me about FPS games? LOL!

#43 Edited by steamistrash (427 posts) -

alien vs predator on jaguar my first fps that's only 2 years after the first real fps was released in 1992 aka wolfenstein 3d.

believe me lol u dont know half as much about the fps genre as me and i been completely obsessed with fps since.

the people who actually bought wolfenstein 3d in 1992 are probley retired from gaming these days i feel like im too old now for games feel like they're too easy and noobish/casual for 20 year experienced fps gamer.and look up duke nukem 3d documentary on youtube they said it was made for people in their 30's man these days the target market for fps is 15 year olds not 30 year olds.

i turn 30 this year in less than 5 months.

thats why duke nukem 3d was hard as fuck because made for 30 year olds and i was like 12 playing it,Which is why i respect it .....it wasnt made to be easily for kids like me playing it.

#44 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13910 posts) -

Old School easily, it offered the best of both worlds.

#45 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

alien vs predator on jaguar my first fps that's only 2 years after the first real fps was released in 1992 aka wolfenstein 3d.

believe me lol u dont know half as much about the fps genre as me and i been completely obsessed with fps since.

the people who actually bought wolfenstein 3d in 1992 are probley retired from gaming these days i feel like im too old now for games feel like they're too easy and noobish/casual for 20 year experienced fps gamer.and look up duke nukem 3d documentary on youtube they said it was made for people in their 30's man these days the target market for fps is 15 year olds not 30 year olds.

i turn 30 this year in less than 5 months.

thats why duke nukem 3d was hard as fuck because made for 30 year olds and i was like 12 playing it,Which is why i respect it .....it wasnt made to be easily for kids like me playing it.

Like i said RTCW was so much better than wolf 3d in every day. wolf 3d is flash game now. a browser based game.

and new wolfenstien looks great. and i barely impressed by modern games.

duke 3d was never my type of. i dont like immature games.

#46 Edited by steamistrash (427 posts) -

mind you 3drealms and idsoftware were friends both from texas and im pretty damn sure gave em some tips on level design and gameplay and such.

duke nukem 3d is not immature at all man it's a game inspired by 1980s action movies by like terminator,aliens,rambo,evil dead.

#47 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Old games suck.

Regen health is the only forgiving mechanic i see there. Most people hate qte's because they mess it up. Don't need a cover system to take cover.

#48 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

Most of best FPS are from 2000s. not 90s.

90s shooter were just like now. but with different skin. now theres horde of COD clones, back than there were doom clones. ppls are too nastolgic for that.

Half life 2

Deus Ex

STALKER games

Metro Games

Riddick EFBB

Crysis

Far Cry 1

FEAR 1

Doom 3

Return to castle wolfenstien

Team fortress 2

Counter Strike

Rainbow six raven shield

Ghost Recon 1

Call of duty 1/UO

Soldier of fortune

All of them are than 90s FPS. some of them are new but follow old school formula.

#49 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@freedomfreak said:

Old games suck.

Regen health is the only forgiving mechanic i see there. Most people hate qte's because they mess it up. Don't need a cover system to take cover.

qte's are like cutscenes take you outta the shooting gameplay they suck,but ya u dont need a cover system to take cover.

health regen is very noobish.

#50 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16008 posts) -

@quakke said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

Quake II is a true king. Nothing like that awesome metal music while killing awesome enemies in awesome enviroments with awesome weapons that have balls awesome sounds.

I used to put my Quake game CD in the CD player of my car back then just to hear the Trent Reznor tunes.