Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 reveal in March or April, might have subsidized version

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5666 posts) -

Subsidized version? :?

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 revealing in March or April, might have subsidized version

Sources familiar with the Microsoft console tell Polygon that Microsoft, while already aware of Sony's launch timing, plans to hold its own announcement this spring, months after Sony's unveiling. A variety of form-factors for Microsoft's new console, we're told, are already being focus tested.

Both next generation consoles will focus on expanding their reach beyond core gaming to include more entertainment and social aspects, according to our sources. That could include, we're told, a subsidized version of the Xbox that serves as both a gaming platform and a cable box, though agreements with cable companies have yet to be finalized. Last year, The Verge reported that Microsoft was also working on a subsidized low-cost alternative to its next-gen console.

Brian Crecente News Editor,

Polygon Rumblings put it at March or April.

#2 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

our no name website has sources familiar with ms and those sourse say shyt.... all the time.... sources be all runnin they mouths like mufasas and just won't shut up...anyway these sources are saying reports such as the nextbox could have corners and be built of a plasticy material which other unconfirmed sources report as plastic.

also other words were thrown around too, words such as "could be"... "might be" and "possibly".

watch for more hard fact based reporting  tomorrow.

#3 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

A cable box...really?

#4 Posted by Inconsistancy (8091 posts) -

I've been saying the thing would likely have a subsidized version for a year or more. It really shouldn't be surprising.

When you buy the current subsidized version, they take a loss on hardware (even this late into the gen) and the customer still ends up paying more than they would have if they bought a subless SKU in the long run.

The IPTV thing was their best showing at the last E3 anyway.

#5 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

A cable box...really?

StrongBlackVine

yeah, so you can pay your cable bill then send ms a check to enable  the cable to work.

#6 Posted by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

A cable box...really?

StrongBlackVine
The 360 already works as a cable box for Uverse. I dont see why they would take that feature away from their next console. :|
#7 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5666 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

A cable box...really?

Riverwolf007

yeah, so you can pay your cable bill then send ms a check to enable  the cable to work.

No, you have to have Xbox LIVE Gold Membership before you can pay your cable bill AND THEN you can send MS a check to enable the cable to work.

#8 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Honestly if you need to subsidize a console you shouldn't be buying one.

#9 Posted by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

A cable box...really?

Blazerdt47

No, you have to have Xbox LIVE Gold Membership before you can pay your cable bill AND THEN you can send MS a check to enable the cable to work.

actually, with uverse, if you use your xbox as a cable box I think it saves you money because its $7 a month per receiver.
#10 Posted by getyeryayasout (7604 posts) -

A cable box...really?

mems_1224
The 360 already works as a cable box for Uverse. I dont see why they would take that feature away from their next console. :|

I don't think it'll be removed either. As a matter of fact it's likely more important to MS than gaming in the long run. MS are a big picture company, they want to provide your phone and tv services, nevermind about gaming.
#11 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

A cable box...really?

Blazerdt47

I wanted to ask that so bad, but held my tongue/keys...figures though.

#12 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

A cable box...really?

getyeryayasout

I don't think it'll be removed either. As a matter of fact it's likely more important to MS than gaming in the long run. MS are a big picture company, they want to provide your phone and tv services, nevermind about gaming.

I am OK with Microsoft computer software and I just bought a Windows 8 Phone, btu I wan't them no where near my phone or TV services. Basically nothing where they collect ongoing fees...

#13 Posted by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

[QUOTE="getyeryayasout"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] The 360 already works as a cable box for Uverse. I dont see why they would take that feature away from their next console. :|StrongBlackVine

I am OK with Microsoft computer software and I just bought a Windows 8 Phone, btu I wan't them no where near my phone or TV services. Basically nothing where they collect ongoing fees...

:lol: people actually spend money on windows 8 phones? good god, what a waste
#14 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5666 posts) -

[QUOTE="getyeryayasout"] I don't think it'll be removed either. As a matter of fact it's likely more important to MS than gaming in the long run. MS are a big picture company, they want to provide your phone and tv services, nevermind about gaming.mems_1224

^This. WTF would you buy a Windows 8 phone?

tumblr_m8e8hi3mr71qkau1no1_250.gif

#15 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="getyeryayasout"] I don't think it'll be removed either. As a matter of fact it's likely more important to MS than gaming in the long run. MS are a big picture company, they want to provide your phone and tv services, nevermind about gaming.mems_1224

Really? The Nokia Lumia 920 is a very nice phone. Check the reviews on CNET.com.  I love the look of the phone, I love the OS with LiveTiles, large great screen and best camera on ANY phone in the market. And I paid $70 for and got $100 rebate. After buying the first 4 iPhones and one Android I needed a switch. And I don't really care about apps and this only thing that doesn't area that is a bit behind. Otherwsise it equal or better than the best Androids or iPHone 5.

Wow some you are just really ignorant.

#16 Posted by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

StrongBlackVine

Really? The Nokia Lumia 920 is a very nice phone. Check the reviews on CNET.com.  I love the look of the phone, I love the OS with LiveTiles, large great screen and best camera on ANY phone in the market. And I paid $70 for and got $100 rebate. After buying the first 4 iPhones and one Android I needed a switch. And I don't really care about apps and this only thing that doesn't area that is a bit behind. Otherwsise it equal or better than the best Androids or iPHone 5.

I dont care what reviews say. Windows 8 phones are garbage and held back by an OS thats way behind apple and android. IDK how much different the 920 is from the 900 but the Lumia 900 was absolute crap. I got that phone for free and I still felt ripped off.
#17 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

As long as we still have the option to purchase it outright... don't need some BS contract for a console. 

#18 Posted by hippiesanta (9896 posts) -
the upcoming sony announcement give micromaniac a slap in the face .........
#19 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5666 posts) -

StrongBlackVine

tumblr_m9jh10e8zh1qj4cki.gif

#20 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] :lol: people actually spend money on windows 8 phones? good god, what a wastemems_1224

I dont care what reviews say. Windows 8 phones are garbage and held back by an OS thats way behind apple and android. IDK how much different the 920 is from the 900 but the Lumia 900 was absolute crap. I got that phone for free and I still felt ripped off.

Well I will take my on experience and the hands review from one of most respected tech sites online over some random person on a Gamespot forum.

#21 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] :lol: people actually spend money on windows 8 phones? good god, what a wasteBlazerdt47

Yeah. Do the research. I know how easy it is for you Xbots to follow the herd. It is equal to or better than the SIII with its washed out sreen and overpriced tiny screen iPhone 5. Check the reviews...

#22 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5666 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

StrongBlackVine

Yeah. Do the research. I know how easy it is for you Xbots to follow the herd. It is equal to or better than the SIII with its washed out sreen and overpriced tiny screen iPhone 5. Check the reviews...

First and foremost, I am not an Xbot. Second of all, I am a techie, I've owned pretty much every high spec smartphone there was, I go through them like playing cards. It's you who need to do the research. I'm not saying the Lumia 920 is a bad phone, because it is actually a great phone that showcases Windows 8 and it's an overall great smartphone but it's that last statement you made. Saying it hangs with the best, and is even better with the best android phones out there (and arguably iPhone 5) is just not true in my opinion.

Example, the Note 2 trounces the Lumia 920.

#23 Posted by Gue1 (10214 posts) -

lems are in for a treat with the Casual Box.  :lol:

#24 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

I had to look up articles about Microsoft subsidized Xboxes to thoroughly understand this one. In the past, MS has offered a deal on the Xbox for signing up with Xbox Live. This is apparently what subsidized Xboxes refers to, for anyone else who was wondering.

#25 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -

But I thought we knew there would be two versions.

#26 Posted by Dead-Memories (6586 posts) -

My guess is they are pushing their next console to be the go to social media device, not just as  gaming platform  with additional features;  but literally, everything, TV internet, games, social networking etc. 

as a gamer I can't say I'm amused though; in fact, i would be dissapointed if they went this route, but it's inevitable. 

#27 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42980 posts) -
I really don't want the console market to move towards a subscription esque type base like the mobile market--while I like the idea of a $99 Xbox, or perhaps a $199 Xbox... it's just too downright expensive to pay for that and maybe a $15 monthly fee for two years or more. I already hate doing this for my phone, definitely do not want the same for a piece of gaming hardware.
#28 Posted by PAL360 (26939 posts) -

A cable box...really?

StrongBlackVine

Hmmm....i wonder if that's mandatory. I'm ok with my cable solution, i just want an Xbox or PS for games.

#29 Posted by Mystery_Writer (7941 posts) -

Xbox platform really started to digress since Peter Moore left them.

Playstation is another sad platform with their asshat controllers and ill-conceived PSN.

And finally Nintendo is putting a tremendous effort in regressing as fast as they can in technology to reduce what's left of their loyal fans.

#30 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
i vote for NEW forum rules. no posting rumors from so called "unnamed source"
#31 Posted by Bruce_Benzing (1742 posts) -

I'd rather the Xbox go the route of the Roku then Cable TV. Got rid of Cable TV last month and just stream whatever shows I want to watch.

But seriously, ragging on someone over a celphone purchase...really?

#32 Posted by Bruce_Benzing (1742 posts) -

i vote for NEW forum rules. no posting rumors from so called "unnamed source" k2theswiss
What would Cows do for fake ownage then?

#33 Posted by Shewgenja (9634 posts) -

A cable box...really?

Riverwolf007

I lol'd hard!
#34 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

StrongBlackVine
we do the same with mobile phones, its a tried and tested system that works.I'd actually opt for it if they were giving me a decent deal.
#35 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
MediaBox 720 :lol: Sorry lemmings their will only be on gaming console next generation.
#36 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

Both next generation consoles will focus on expanding their reach beyond core gaming to include more entertainment and social aspects, according to our sources. 

Blazerdt47

michael-scott-no.gif

......wat.

#37 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

MediaBox 720 :lol: Sorry lemmings their will only be on gaming console next generation. -Renegade

Note the "both consoles will expand their reach beyond core gaming to focus on more entertainment and social aspects".

#38 Posted by Bruce_Benzing (1742 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]MediaBox 720 :lol: Sorry lemmings their will only be on gaming console next generation. Primordialous

Note the "both consoles will expand their reach beyond core gaming to focus on more entertainment and social aspects".

But you have to realize, when Sony snaps their fingers and tells the Cows anything, suddenly it becomes reality even if it's a total lie.

#39 Posted by Shewgenja (9634 posts) -

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]MediaBox 720 :lol: Sorry lemmings their will only be on gaming console next generation. Bruce_Benzing

But you have to realize, when Sony snaps their fingers and tells the Cows anything, suddenly it becomes reality even if it's a total lie.

Weren't you guys saying the PS3 was a Media Computer while the Xbox was the real games machine a few years back? Was that before or after MS sold off Bungie? I can't remember.  Maybe somewhere between selling off Bungie and spending 1 Billion dollars to market Kinect.  Perhaps, you can refresh my memory on that one.

#40 Posted by FIipMode (10849 posts) -
Guess that makes sense since they tried subsidized this gen, though Polygon is pretty new and has no real credibility with rumors afaik, probably just making guesses.
#41 Posted by amaneuvering (4016 posts) -

A subsidised Xbox 720 with cable integration sounds like a smart idea.

#42 Posted by KungfuKitten (21142 posts) -

Subsidized?
Oh man, I can tell they're going to focus on selling this thing to idiots. I just know it.

#43 Posted by darkspineslayer (19808 posts) -
Is the subsidy to see just how much tighter grip MS can have on its consumers balls? If this thing is too expensive I need a contract, than I just don't need it at all.
#44 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

razgriz_101

we do the same with mobile phones, its a tried and tested system that works.I'd actually opt for it if they were giving me a decent deal.

Just because it "works" doesn't mean it's a good system. In the US, it gives the four big carriers an advantage because consumers see the hot new phones for $199 instead of the $500-$600 they'd cost unsubsidized, and then signup for ridiculously expensive two year contracts instead of an alternative plan that would still cost them less, even if if they bought the phone for the full unsubsidized price. 

#45 Posted by Cheleman (7707 posts) -
Meh. I'm not excited one bit.
#46 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
Xbox Live is not going away, and Microsoft will probably raise the price again. Maybe if you're lucky you won't need a subscription fee to watch DVDs.
#47 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Not a single f*ck was given that day.

#48 Posted by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

StrongBlackVine

Well I will take my on experience and the hands review from one of most respected tech sites online over some random person on a Gamespot forum.

no problem. you clearly love making awful life decisions so of course you're gonna have a windows 8 phone :lol:
#49 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]I dont care what reviews say. Windows 8 phones are garbage and held back by an OS thats way behind apple and android. IDK how much different the 920 is from the 900 but the Lumia 900 was absolute crap. I got that phone for free and I still felt ripped off. mems_1224

no problem. you clearly love making awful life decisions so of course you're gonna have a windows 8 phone :lol:

They're really not that bad.....personally I think the Lumia 920 looks like a great phone but just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it fails by default.

#50 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]I dont care what reviews say. Windows 8 phones are garbage and held back by an OS thats way behind apple and android. IDK how much different the 920 is from the 900 but the Lumia 900 was absolute crap. I got that phone for free and I still felt ripped off. mems_1224

i have wp8 and a lumia and i love it, its a different experience for everyone i loathe iOS for example.We all see things differently but its handy having a mobile version of ms office and the camera's pretty good on it. I've got no complaints bout it, the detractors tend to be the ones who never tried it, little to no time with a handset or more likely basing it off what the internet says.