Poll: The DS is the best handheld of all time.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3536 posts) -
Seriously, I can name 100 games off of the top of my head that are great exclusives and awesome games.
#2 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

pokemon make's the ds the greatest handheld ever, everything else on the ds sucks

#3 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
it has pokemon...so of course
#4 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

3DS is better since you can play DS and 3DS games on it :P

#5 Posted by funsohng (28923 posts) -
Yes.
#7 Posted by Blabadon (28178 posts) -
Yes and no. It had the four awesome Pokemon games but other than that, the only standout for me is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. Those five match pretty evenly with two God of War games, Burnout Revenge, Virtua Tennis 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, LocoRoco 2, three Patapon games, Syphon Filter LS, GTA LCS, WipeOut Pulse and Pure and a few others on the PSP I greatly enjoyed. Then there's the GBA which somehow pulled off expansive open worlds with Superstar Saga, Minish Cap, and two Pokemon games and also had Frogger Temple of the Frog and others. I missed out on a lot of games between the three handhelds but I'll catch up someday. Otherwise it's a tie.
#8 Posted by RR360DD (13005 posts) -
It hasn't had much competition. It can play GBA games so the GBA isn't competition, and the PSP?LOL yeah, DS is definitely the best handheld.
#9 Posted by amaneuvering (4016 posts) -

It quite possibly is.

#10 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
It is the highest selling portable of all time so far. But I've never had any interest in nintendo's portables. Vita is what I always wanted portables to be so I'd give the award to it.
#11 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9190 posts) -

Yes and no. It had the four awesome Pokemon games but other than that, the only standout for me is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. Those five match pretty evenly with two God of War games, Burnout Legends, Virtua Tennis 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, LocoRoco 2, three Patapon games, Syphon Filter LS, GTA LCS, WipeOut Pulse and Pure and a few others on the PSP I greatly enjoyed. Then there's the GBA which somehow pulled off expansive open worlds with Superstar Saga, Minish Cap, and two Pokemon games and also had Frogger Temple of the Frog and others. I missed out on a lot of games between the three handhelds but I'll catch up someday. Otherwise it's a tie.Blabadon

Fixed

#12 Posted by Blabadon (28178 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Yes and no. It had the four awesome Pokemon games but other than that, the only standout for me is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. Those five match pretty evenly with two God of War games, Burnout Legends, Virtua Tennis 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, LocoRoco 2, three Patapon games, Syphon Filter LS, GTA LCS, WipeOut Pulse and Pure and a few others on the PSP I greatly enjoyed. Then there's the GBA which somehow pulled off expansive open worlds with Superstar Saga, Minish Cap, and two Pokemon games and also had Frogger Temple of the Frog and others. I missed out on a lot of games between the three handhelds but I'll catch up someday. Otherwise it's a tie.speedfreak48t5p

Fixed

Oh yeah thanks. I forgot it was Legends and then Dominator, not Revenge and then Legends. I liked Legends much more though.
#13 Posted by Heirren (18647 posts) -
I still prefer the gba for its rugged form factor. Even after buying a dslite, psp, and 3DS, the gba is the system I most often toss in my bag.
#14 Posted by ekalbtwin (1044 posts) -
I voted no as I like the GBA better. Yes the DS can play GBA games but there was just something special about that little odd shaped purple handheld.
#15 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6044 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Yes and no. It had the four awesome Pokemon games but other than that, the only standout for me is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. Those five match pretty evenly with two God of War games, Burnout Revenge, Virtua Tennis 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, LocoRoco 2, three Patapon games, Syphon Filter LS, GTA LCS, WipeOut Pulse and Pure and a few others on the PSP I greatly enjoyed. Then there's the GBA which somehow pulled off expansive open worlds with Superstar Saga, Minish Cap, and two Pokemon games and also had Frogger Temple of the Frog and others. I missed out on a lot of games between the three handhelds but I'll catch up someday. Otherwise it's a tie.

Believe it or not, the definitive version of Pirates2 was the GBA version.
#16 Posted by Minishdriveby (10352 posts) -
Yes I have about 75 DS games, and there are still a ton of awesome games that I need to get for the system.
#17 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

3DS may overtake it. I will have to wait and see. The big problem with the DS, is its graphics are kinda bad for 3D games and can make for really annoying low res worlds. But when done right (Mario Kart DS, SM64, and such), it isn't too bad. That said, really detailed games like Metroid Prime Hunters, suffer from it badly. The 3DS is right on the mark to make games of all scenarios look rather nice.

#18 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
Going to have to just slightly give it to the PSP because of it's JRPG's (Still getting tons till this day) which is my favorite genre. The DS is a solid 2nd place for me and depending on a person's taste I can definitely see how it would be the best.
#19 Posted by NaturalDisplay (548 posts) -

3DS cannot be the best because it is region locked.

#20 Posted by Aljosa23 (25799 posts) -

Most definitely. Top 5 platform in general.

#21 Posted by Blabadon (28178 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Yes and no. It had the four awesome Pokemon games but other than that, the only standout for me is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. Those five match pretty evenly with two God of War games, Burnout Revenge, Virtua Tennis 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, LocoRoco 2, three Patapon games, Syphon Filter LS, GTA LCS, WipeOut Pulse and Pure and a few others on the PSP I greatly enjoyed. Then there's the GBA which somehow pulled off expansive open worlds with Superstar Saga, Minish Cap, and two Pokemon games and also had Frogger Temple of the Frog and others. I missed out on a lot of games between the three handhelds but I'll catch up someday. Otherwise it's a tie.

Believe it or not, the definitive version of Pirates2 was the GBA version.

All my friends had it for the DS and tried convincing me that was the best version. Objectively and on paper, the PSP version isn't good at all. But its decent presentation, graphics, gameplay, and unlockables mixed in with the great environments really got to me as a great pick up and play hack-and-slash before GoW came out. But thanks for the tip, I might look into it.
#22 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5987 posts) -
There is absolutely no way it isn't the greatest handheld, if not the best system of ALL TIME. Nothing comes close to it's variety and amount of games.
#23 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

thread fails. DS is best SYSTEM of all time. Not the best handheld.

The only thing is is missing to make its library perfect is a SSB N64 remake to make up for its lack of fighting games.

#24 Posted by hyperjj3000 (974 posts) -
I voted yes. I have around 77 DS games and im still collecting so i have to agree.
#25 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

thread fails. DS is best SYSTEM of all time.Jonwh18

That would still be ps2.

#26 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -

The Vita would be if more developers actually put effort into making good games on it. So for now, I'd say the 3DS is because it plays both DS and 3DS games:D

#27 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

thread fails. DS is best SYSTEM of all time.p4s2p0

That would still be ps2.

Nope it would still be the N64.

#28 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

thread fails. DS is best SYSTEM of all time.p4s2p0

That would still be ps2.

DS's library >>>>>> PS2 library

#29 Posted by charizard1605 (60716 posts) -
Well, of course. In fact, it's in the running for best SYSTEM of all time, handheld or otherwise. The sheer amount of games on it was mind boggling. The GBA comes very close to the DS, of course. It was an incredible system, and had its library been less ports and more original games, it would easily have outshone the DS. The PSP was a great handheld, but it doesn't have even half the number of great games the DS or GBA did. The 3DS looks to finally be hitting its stride, and across retail and the eShop, it seems to have assembled one fine library already. But we'll see. For now, DS is king.
#30 Posted by trent44 (252 posts) -

Well, there are a ton of awesome games for GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and PSP and a handful for 3DS and Vita so far, and a few for GG, WSC, and NGPC.

Personally, I would rank the current game libraries like so: PSP>GBA>DS>GBC>GB>Vita>3DS>GG>NGPC>WSC

#31 Posted by E_Razr (44 posts) -

It is the highest selling portable of all time so far. But I've never had any interest in nintendo's portables. Vita is what I always wanted portables to be so I'd give the award to it.p4s2p0

So you like to see your portable lack sales, lack games and have no 3rd party support whatsoever?

#33 Posted by Gue1 (11151 posts) -

I voted no as I like the GBA better.ekalbtwin

#34 Posted by Bigboi500 (30874 posts) -

Of course it is.

#35 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

The 3DS XL is better.

#36 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

So far yes. The 3DS is not better, tfw I get 20+ hours of battery from my DSi with a battery extender and you guys can barely pull 5-6 hours. No thanks.

#37 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

The DS to me is the SNES/PS2 of handhelds. Truly a god.

Anyone who complains about PS3/360 JRPGs should just go pick one up, lots of good stuff on there.

#38 Posted by Bigboi500 (30874 posts) -

The 3DS XL is better.

Gamingclone

As far as overall feel of a handheld, I'd agree. Since it also plays every DS game, that helps too. Love the system so much.

#39 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]It is the highest selling portable of all time so far. But I've never had any interest in nintendo's portables. Vita is what I always wanted portables to be so I'd give the award to it.E_Razr

So you like to see your portable lack sales, lack games and have no 3rd party support whatsoever?

Sales are sony's problem I'm enjoying the hardware and games... If there is no 3d party support why am getting one at the end of the month? And again next month, like I normally would on home console.. My most played game so far is also 3rd party.
#40 Posted by superapo (1714 posts) -

Fully agree. The DS has many classic games

#41 Posted by finalstar2007 (25831 posts) -

No... only good game i played was World Ends With You then my DS started collecting dust to the point where i had to sell it.

Good to know it is the best handheld to you but it sure is not to me.. you should add "To Me" in the title

#42 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3536 posts) -

No... only good game i played was World Ends With You then my DS started collecting dust to the point where i had to sell it.

Good to know it is the best handheld to you but it sure is not to me.. you should add "To Me" in the title

finalstar2007
.......There is a reason there is a poll, not trying to shove it down your throat. And your avatar is Asbel, you should be representing him......
#43 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9481 posts) -

pokemon make's the ds the greatest handheld ever, everything else on the ds sucks

Meeeper282
Phoenix Wright objects. ;)
#44 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17140 posts) -

Meeeper282

While Pokemon was pretty great there are other great games on it as well.

#45 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

ShadowsDemon

Ahem

radiant-historia1.jpg

#46 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

Nope, GBA was better IMO.

#47 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

With every one one of these threads I get a little bit closer to buying a 3DS.

Plus I fixed my broken scooter, so, now I can list it as a classified. Might use some of the funds for a 3DS...

#48 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9235 posts) -

I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game since I was 14.

I just...can't get into them anymore. I guess I am old.

I liked it for Castlevania and Ghost Trick.

The FF remakes were great too.

#49 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9481 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

whiskeystrike

Ahem

radiant-historia1.jpg

This evidence contradicts the testimony!
#50 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6889 posts) -

3DS is better since you can play DS and 3DS games on it :P

free_milk
Yeah exactly.