Poll: Do you think we'll have "handheld PCs" soon (before 2020)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Poll: Do you think we'll have "handheld PCs" soon (before 2020)? (22 votes)

Definitely. 23%
Probably. 14%
Maybe. 14%
Unlikely. 18%
Nope. 32%

I know there can be Full Win 8.1 7inch tablets + controller accessories but maybe more gaming focused when designing the hardware.

Smach Zero (previously known as Steamboy) will be running Steam OS (not Windows) but do you think this would soon lead to handheld PCs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icza5uLXFHI

Specs:

AMD embedded G-Series SoC "Steppe Eagle" with Jaguar-based CPU and GCN-based Radeon graphics.

- 4 GB RAM memory

- 32GB internal memory and SD Card Slot

- USB OTG

- 5-inch Touch screen with 720p resolution

- Configurable tactile gamepads

- HDMI video output connection

- Wi-Fi conectivity

- Bluetooth connectivity

- 4G mobile network connectivity (PRO model only)

More info in Gamescom (Aug. 2015)

• 
bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

What a terrible name. I'm not sure that there is enough of a market for it really... If it flops though the library is already there though so that's a bonus. I would probably buy something like this myself but can't see it gaining mainstream popularity.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

Can't wait for gamescom to see it perform.

Also speaking of handhelds it reminds of razors concept the Switchblade before they decided to just make the keyboard part.

with the final steam controller design they could modify this thing like have a 3DS type analog stick, have keys inbetween the touch pads so you get more control options than a regular Steam controller, and you can basically play all types of games with it properly or close enough to its more preferable control inputs.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@bulby_g said:

What a terrible name. I'm not sure that there is enough of a market for it really... If it flops though the library is already there though so that's a bonus. I would probably buy something like this myself but can't see it gaining mainstream popularity.

I'm not digging the name either.

That's another bonus, even if it flops it's not like the Steam library's gonna be affected.

Even if it won't be mainstream, I hope later entries of handheld PCs would have a sustainable niche following. Most seem cross buy; handheld PC on the go, Gaming PC at home. Hope Cloud saves would be more seamless.

@NoodleFighter said:

Can't wait for gamescom to see it perform.

Also speaking of handhelds it reminds of razors concept the Switchblade before they decided to just make the keyboard part.

with the final steam controller design they could modify this thing like have a 3DS type analog stick, have keys inbetween the touch pads so you get more control options than a regular Steam controller, and you can basically play all types of games with it properly or close enough to its more preferable control inputs.

Do you mean more buttons/triggers under the grip?

That Razer thing looks interesting and can definitely see the benefit of a clamshell design.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

WE all ready have them in the form of tablets, and Nvidia made products. WIndows 10 is only going to speed this idea up. By the end of the ps4's shelf cycle hand held pc like devices will have more power and better performance and allow for the whole of the pc library to be played.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 j2zon2591

@ribstaylor1 said:

WE all ready have them in the form of tablets, and Nvidia made products. WIndows 10 is only going to speed this idea up. By the end of the ps4's shelf cycle hand held pc like devices will have more power and better performance and allow for the whole of the pc library to be played.

What NV made product? You mean Shield? I guess they're starting with some PC ports for native gaming (not just Streaming) but maybe they'll actually go full x86 for CPU next time and make it Full Windows 10 compatible. I guess it's only a matter of time.

Hope storage would be much cheaper soon, preferrably SSD or really, really faster and cheaper eMMC.

Then again, maybe ARM will fully support later iterations of Full Windows 10.

When mobile tech gets that good near EoL of PS4, might be a decent idea to make a handheld PS4 than just a VITA successor, though a VITA successor could be used as a stop-gap to maintain some Sony handheld interest (at least in JPN).

I really want to see an Intel + NV handheld PC brought to the market by 2016/2017 just to have a better vision of the tech trajectory.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

So, a Tablet...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

There will never be a handheld product that will be on par with modern desktop computers...

But we've had handheld PC's for the better part of a decade now... they're called smartphones.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 j2zon2591

@SolidTy said:

So, a Tablet...

That and along but not limited to form factors like these:

Most tablets seem to like chasing thin form factors that tend to throttle more. Above aren't as shy to be more on the cbubby side. Would be a more niche device for sure.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

#7 Edited by foxhound_fox (91392 posts) - 3 hours, 31 minutes ago

There will never be a handheld product that will be on par with modern desktop computers...

But we've had handheld PC's for the better part of a decade now... they're called smartphones.

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Heck yeah.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 j2zon2591

@foxhound_fox said:

It doesn't have to be on par with higher end desktop compute but alternative to some playing on laptops, non gaming PCs or even some handheld gamers.

Lot's of iGPU solutions currently used:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Not exactly but we may get there soon. Smartphones with Full Windows OS. I think it will eventually happen when Windows 10 (or later iterations) become more optimized for battery efficiency and x86 mobile hardware become more and more energy efficient and powerful.

Yes we already have x86 Atoms on smartphones but not yet with the Full Win OS that has native Steam support and most of its library.

I imagine current certain lack of dedicated apps, storage tech and pricing is also a factor that may hamper Full Win OS on phones but perhaps there'd be breakthroughs within 5 years.

Again, it's probably gonna be niche market at best.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Handheld PCs, like a tablet you mean?
The **** are you on about.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

We've been having pocket sized PC's.

Mankind brought a man to the moon in the 1940's using a computer 1000 times bigger, 1000 times more expensive and 1000 times less powerful than what's in your pocket now... And you still aren't amazed? What the actual ****?

Having a desktop OS is not equivalent to having a PC. In fact, the traditional desktop OS is so antiquated and draconian that it actually holds back computer evolution.

Mobile OS's are the future.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

The smart phone and tablets would like to say hi. Granted alot of them are stripped down PCs but with now windows 10, IOS, and Android OS works they are PCs in your hand.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 j2zon2591

@ten_pints said:

Handheld PCs, like a tablet you mean?

The **** are you on about.

Something more gaming centric like in post #8.

@mister-man said:

We've been having pocket sized PC's.

Mankind brought a man to the moon in the 1940's using a computer 1000 times bigger, 1000 times more expensive and 1000 times less powerful than what's in your pocket now... And you still aren't amazed? What the actual ****?

Having a desktop OS is not equivalent to having a PC. In fact, the traditional desktop OS is so antiquated and draconian that it actually holds back computer evolution.

Mobile OS's are the future.

No that's a different topic.

Nah. In this context it's more of a game machine that has the flexibility of Full Windows OS and prospect of native Steam Gaming (not just Cloud based/local Remote Play). A more focused that device that won't throttle as much as today's Full Windows OS tablets like the Surface Pro 3.

I have no doubt that Mobile OS will stay (iOS finally doing multi-window) but I doubt Full Windows OS won't become mainstream much later on.

How is Full Win draconian when it has more options for more programs to run with (games and productivity) and will only improve in having Android emulators in it over time? I would understand if the interface has to become more optimized for sub 7" screen size and that it may need more optimization for battery life.

I am open to why you think it's draconian and hampering evolution though.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Basically what i wanted to say. I can use my (shitty) smartphone as a handheld PC and never turn on my desktop again. Hell, i only use my desktop for the internet anyway.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 j2zon2591

@Lucianu said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Basically what i wanted to say. I can use my (shitty) smartphone as a handheld PC and never turn on my desktop again. Hell, i only use my desktop for the internet anyway.

That seems the general direction for most. I wish I had better typing skills on my Moto G (no line) but I go to my desktop when active on forum because of heavy window swapping and faster typing.

I also have a Surface Pro 2 but still mostly use my Moto G on the bed because it's far more convenient (light, easy to change bed positions with.. drop at the side of the pillow when I'm getting too sleepy).