Pokemon OR/AS Tracking Higher In Pre-Orders Than X/Y

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are seeing higher pre-orders than the last entry in the series, X/Y. That’s information comes straight from Nintendo UK, who spoke with MCV in the magazine’s latest issue.

Nintendo UK marketing boss Shelly Pearce said:

“Pre-orders for Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are doing really well at the moment. It is pre-ordering more than X and Y, so we are quite optimistic about that one.”

UK general manager Simon Kemp chimed in about Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire pre-orders as well: “And that is a pattern we’re seeing globally.”

Later in MCV’s interview, Peace commented on Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire’s marketing plans. The games are “getting a similar sized campaign to what we did on X and Y.” And while Nintendo UK is planning various TV and online media efforts for its marketing plans, Peace said the special demo will be a “big part of the campaign.”

“That’s a big part of the campaign. We are finding that the demo versions of things are working really well for us. The Super Smash Bros. demo was really popular and converted lots of people to purchase.”

SOURCE

Huh. Color me surprised. Personally, compared to the hype for X/Y- which was insanely infectious- I've seen absolutely nothing for OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. In fact, if you'd asked me, I probably would have said it's going to be one of the lower selling games in the series. Interesting to see it's doing so well, then. Probably a case of Pokemon players just buying the game without hyping it because they expect one every year.

Incidentally, the demo goes live later today in North America. Feel free to share your impressions here.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Not surprising to me. This is a new game to a lot of people, and nostalgic for the rest.

Another consideration is the install base. Consider that X/Y could be the breaking point for a lot of people to get a 3DS in the first place.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

Nostalgia seems to be a very important thing for a lot of gamers, for some reason.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Probably because those kids who grew up with Ruby and Sapphire now have jobs.

Seriously that gen was crazy overrated. but whatever I'm getting it for the chance to get all of the missed legends.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Pre-orders would even be higher if they let us fly on Snorlax.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

I'll get it eventually. I believe Smash Bros Wii U is released the same day. I'll be busy with that for a while and will pick up Pokemon later.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Probably because those kids who grew up with Ruby and Sapphire now have jobs.

Seriously that gen was crazy overrated. but whatever I'm getting it for the chance to get all of the missed legends.

Nope.

Aside from online multiplayer, there's no gameplay element outside of the core battles that generations 4-6 have brought that are as fleshed out as Pokemon Contests, and the secret bases was brilliant before Wifi existed.