Pokemon Go's success shows that Nintendo is not fit as console makers anymore

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

night-dreamers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By night-dreamers
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

It shows that Nintendo has a massive appeal, people are just not willing to buy a new console just to play 5 games. Nintendo should start going third-party as that is where the money lies for them, and what their casual audience demands. Unless they hate money, yeah.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yes they could go PC. Or, since nobody here buys Nintendo exclusives anyway, they could stop making exclusives and make a third party box like MS and Sony. Nice and easy. I think most electronics companies could pull that off.

Or they could make more games and hope that works. It sounds like they are going for that last option.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It shows that Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware game period. Their next handheld is going to be a disaster going up against the flooded mobile market.

They need to ditch handhelds and focus on releasing games on as many platforms as possible. They could move hundreds of millions of units of software a year if they did that. There is no reason they need to keep limiting people to their own, proprietary hardware.

They've been defeated in the console market and the handheld market is being destroyed by the rest of the mobile market. Pokemon GO shows the value of the mobile market. Imagine Nintendo going full out on Android/iOS. They could even make their own Android hardware with a built in gamepad. That would be much better than some proprietary OS with no cross compatibility.

It would also be awesome if they made the Virtual Console compatible with Android and iOS. They would push billions of units of software over its life on a platform like that.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

Oh, jeez. I'm just going to leave this instead.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Apparently its impossible for businesses to multitask now.

"Whelp, we just had a very successful mobile game, time to burn everything that isn't mobile to the ground."

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@night-dreamers: But Nintendo did go third party, they make games for mobile now and can reach a gigantic install base. Its time for Sony and Microsoft to try and do better at going third party like Nintendo did. If they cant reach the kids, theyll soon go dry and start to lose appeal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Maybe. I'd say it shows that there is demand for Nintendo, as long as they make something that people want. In Pokemon GO's case, that happened to be a game. But in the future, it could just as well be a console or a handheld that is actually appealing, unlike the Wii U and to a lesser extent, 3DS.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendoboy16

@DJ-Lafleur said:

Apparently its impossible for businesses to multitask now.

"Whelp, we just had a very successful mobile game, time to burn everything that isn't mobile to the ground."

Well, it would depend on the multitasking for sure. A nothing but mobile Nintendo is just as bad as them third party on other systems and with their success, don't be surprised if they go "All the Bravest".

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Go Zynga? How in the world is that a good idea? Does anyone still play Farmville?

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Why couldn't they go mobile AND still make consoles and handhelds? Nintendo only makes video games afterall. This "handhelds are dying," "consoles are dying," and "PC is dying" type of doom and gloom talk is getting tired at this point. Gaming is growing and there will always be demand in one area or another. Nintendo made tons of money on the 3DS. Was is DS kind of money? No. But why does that mean they have to pack up and leave the market all together? With this type of logic nearly every company would have closed up shop by now. Apple should just leave the mobile market because their market share and profit margins have shrunk, right? Get real.

Edit: Oh and "console makers" doesn't mean what it once did. The big 3 just buy custom chips from AMD. The Xbox One and PS4 have more in common than any consoles in the past. Nintendo could easily ask AMD to "make us one of those" and that would be that.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iandizion713

Yo guys, i know Nintendo is the seconded richest gaming company and worth more then Sony as a whole. But if yall REALLY want to make some money, and i mean REALLY, yall gonna need to do like other gaming companies and become richer. You feels mes bro?

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#12 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Actually TC it shows the popularity of the pokemon franchise. Im not sure how you work out this means they need to jump ship from their own hardware.

Pokemon is super popular and almost everyone has a smartphone now. Duh Poke Go is going to be massive it's not rocket science

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

Yo guys, i know Nintendo is the seconded richest gaming company and worth more then Sony as a whole. But if yall REALLY want to make some money, and i mean REALLY, yall gonna need to do like other gaming companies and become richer. You feels mes bro?

Wise words.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I bet half the people that downloaded it have no idea who made it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iandizion713

@Jshoelace: Or that both Nintendo and The Pokemon Co, who helped develop the game, own part of Niantic. Or that Nintendo owns part of The Pokemon Co. Or that the other owners of The Pokemon Co, Game Freak and Creatures, are also partially owned by Nintendo.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

@iandizion713: or even had any interest in pokemon before.. Let alone play one of the gameboy games.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Oh, jeez. I'm just going to leave this instead.

I know right.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Maybe. I'd say it shows that there is demand for Nintendo, as long as they make something that people want.

It has to be accessible. Having to invest $200-300 in hardware to play something you may or may not like is a huge hurdle. Almost every man, woman, and child in the free world could play Pokemon Go with very little effort and no risk.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Miitomo's failure shows that Nintendo isn't fit to be in video games anymore. They should go back to making playing cards.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Techhog89

@Wasdie said:

It shows that Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware game period. Their next handheld is going to be a disaster going up against the flooded mobile market.

They need to ditch handhelds and focus on releasing games on as many platforms as possible. They could move hundreds of millions of units of software a year if they did that. There is no reason they need to keep limiting people to their own, proprietary hardware.

They've been defeated in the console market and the handheld market is being destroyed by the rest of the mobile market. Pokemon GO shows the value of the mobile market. Imagine Nintendo going full out on Android/iOS. They could even make their own Android hardware with a built in gamepad. That would be much better than some proprietary OS with no cross compatibility.

It would also be awesome if they made the Virtual Console compatible with Android and iOS. They would push billions of units of software over its life on a platform like that.

And if they're not able to recreate Pokemon GO's success with another game? What happens then?

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I agree and the proof is out there, sadly Sheep will never admit it.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kruiz_Bathory

@iandizion713: I know Sony has mobile games, MS is starting to release their biggest Xbox games on PC as well. I still think that they both should still make consoles so as to not have a monopoly on the market.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iandizion713

@Kruiz_Bathory: Until Dawn would have been more successful on mobile, im hoping Sony releases it soon so i can play it. Gran Turismo will be sweet too. Hopefully theyre already working on it. Unless they hate money of course.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kruiz_Bathory

@techhog89: they still make incredible games, but not many will want to buy a 299 machune to play just a few of them and nothing else.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

No it shows how versatile nintendo is. The 3ds is a success and the wii was a great console and success, the wii u was a fluke but they will bounce back.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

This proved that pokemon is very popular. Why are people so quick for nintendo to just abandon video game hardware making. Last time I checked the DS sold like crack and as much as people hated the Wii it sold like crack too. Nintendo will be in the hardware race until Mario and or Link becomes a virtual cancer like Sonic did and at this rate I don't see it happening.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Platform agnosticism is becoming (and should be) the new norm. MS is the most open advocate (among the big 3), but even their approach is still aimed at bolstering their own platforms.

Nintendo is so far behind in offering standard services with their hardware products that to catch up would require hefty investment, which goes against their mantra. Pokemon GO represents a two-edged sword: A) it's a loud and resounding message that the grass is greener (economically) outside the Nintendo ecosystem; but B) shifting software development to platforms not designed to drive or direct game design may have a negative effect on the widely-held "Nintendo polish." I agree with the latter to an extent (since Nintendo is opening itself to outsourcing development of its IPs to third parties) but am not of the opinion that it will erode the perception that Nintendo offers mechanically superior games (though I disagree with that general assertion, I digress).

When there is money to be had, the pressure to cash-in on much of the goodwill Nintendo has with its fanbase will grow.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Techhog89

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

@techhog89: they still make incredible games, but not many will want to buy a 299 machune to play just a few of them and nothing else.

I'm just saying that you can't use one game to prove that they'll make money as a third-party or a mobile dev.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

But Nintendo didnt even make this game.....

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

I disagree completely

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

To be honest I'd bet that the Pokemon name holds more weight versus Nintendo. Doubt we would see Nintendo have this kind of success with their other franchises. Don't know why Nintendo doesn't push more Pokemon games. The name is huge and would push units. It will be telling to see how the new games sell on the 3DS.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16

@Wild_man_22 said:

But Nintendo didnt even make this game.....

That's irrelevant to a pro-"Nintendo should be third party" poster.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

The success of pokemon Go has nothing do to with Nintendo's competency as a hardware maker. All it shows is that Nintendo's IP's have massive casual appeal.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

The smartest comment in this thread.

Nintendo can still release console/handheld games for their platforms, and release mobile specific games ala Pokemon Go.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

That's a hot take you have there

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Pokemon Go's success comes from...the game is FREE

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

The game is free, of course its popular.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

There are tons of free mobile games and none of them have even come close to being this popular. People also value their time and won't waste time playing something they don't like.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Pokemon Go proves that Nintendo can supplement slow hardware sales with the occasional mobile game.

It's just another way that Nintendo can do whatever they want on the console and handheld side of things, while still making heaps of money.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@FinalFighters said:

There are tons of free mobile games and none of them have even come close to being this popular. People also value their time and won't waste time playing something they don't like.

Candy Crush proves you wrong

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@FinalFighters said:

Candy Crush proves you wrong

A.k.a. Candy Ca$h.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Nintendo could make an amazing handheld that would be successful, but they need to be willing to take a small loss on each unit. The software sales could easily cover that temporary dip.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Nintendo needs to understand that the majority of people simply aren't interested in having to pay $300 for a machine that plays the same old Nintendo games we've had since the eighties that come out every 6-8 months with crappy services to support them. People want access to a wide variety of different developers and franchises on systems that HAVE competent services, something Nintendo refuses to give.

There's no value in their hardware in terms of diversity, and their IPs are not strong enough to float the boat on their own as the U's sales have shown. Nintendo consoles will forever remain niche if they only remain the home for more Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart, Pikmin, and Starfox.

But that's what Nintendo appears to be content with, so I hope they're happy with a very small piece of the pie.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iandizion713

@MirkoS77: I know how you feel bro, i want to play Uncharted 4, but no way in hell im paying $450 for a Neo just to play one game. Then we got to wait how many years for Last of Us 2? WTF Sony, release that shat on PC, stop being greedy.

Sony needs to release Bloodborne on PC too, will make them a lot of money. Nobody wants to buy a device to play 2 exclusives when they can buy a PC and play 90% of the games plus a million more.

These companies be blind, you feels me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

It actually shows how much people buy into shit as long as it's got the franchise tag. Let's be honest Pokemon Go is a barebones fraking game as it gets and the only reason why it's doing so well is cause it's Pokemon and it's free.

The game has shit for gameplay (oh sorry you have to walk 6.2 miles to hatch this egg that probably is just a Pidgey), there's no vs mode outside of gym locations, no trading (yet) and to even fight at gyms you have to be literally on top of the damn gym location.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iandizion713

@Ballroompirate: Its an App for mobile phones, what did you expect? To not be mobile?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@Ballroompirate: Its an App for mobile phones, what did you expect?

You mean a half assed "app" trying to be a mobile game.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

@Ballroompirate: Its an App for mobile phones, what did you expect?

There's nothing unreasonable about expecting a good game on mobile. The following sites cover a plethora of better games for Android:

http://www.hardcoredroid.com/

http://www.droidgamers.com/

http://www.supergamedroid.com/