Pokemon experiment on Twitch (the new innovation we want?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

So yea I dunno if you've read about this story of a Pokemon game being played real time on Twitch by thousands of users at the same time.

I found this interesting article about how community actually evolved into two different factions and each of them seek a different approach about the game and how they created numerous artistic installments etc. They even created religions... damn.

I mean do you think "we" (devs, community, god, spiderman) could actually experiment more with this and maybe create some kind of a sandbox game where people could actually shape the world and the story real time and progress it all together. I mean sounds kinda crazy awesome no?

Here's a link to this article http://mashable.com/2014/02/19/pokemon-stream-twitch/

What started as a relatively small, crowdsourced play-through of Pokémon has become something of a global cultural experiment — spurring fan-created mythology, a battle of political systems, and even warring religions.

On Feb. 13, an anonymous programmer started Twitch Plays Pokémon. Viewers of the gaming service Twitch would enter various commands — up, down, left, right, a, b — in a chat window; those commands would be performed in the classic Nintendo game Pokémon Red and Blue.

At first, this experimental interactive game had a fairly small audience of around 1,600 people, but it has since amassed a following of over 100,000 viewers, becoming one of the most popular streams on the streaming website, Twitch.

#2 Posted by Consternated (848 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

I mean do you think "we" (devs, community, god, spiderman) could actually experiment more with this and maybe create some kind of a sandbox game where people could actually shape the world and the story real time and progress it all together. I mean sounds kinda crazy awesome no?

Aren't the Star Citizen developers looking to do something similar?

#3 Edited by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

@Consternated said:

@V3rciS said:

I dunno, are they? Never looked into the details about this game, just watched the little trailer they released for Oculus Rift, which is beyond awesome of course (I'm a crazy sci-fi fan)

#4 Edited by Consternated (848 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

@Consternated said:

@V3rciS said:

I dunno, are they? Never looked into the details about this game, just watched the little trailer they released for Oculus Rift, which is beyond awesome of course (I'm a crazy sci-fi fan)

I believe the first person to discover new stars/wormholes can name them, mark them as a place for other people to visit, or keep it secret until someone else finds it, but then they might be able to name it, etc... Maybe not quite as indepth as what you had in mind, but still pretty cool.

#5 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

@Consternated: I see... sounds cool indeed

but in general do you think what I am talking in the OP could really be the innovation in gaming people are so eagerly expecting? Or maybe it's something still unreachable for us or just plain no sense?

#6 Posted by Mark36111 (559 posts) -

Taking 60 hours to make it through the floor maze in Rocket Hideout = evolution.

#7 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

@Mark36111 said:

Taking 60 hours to make it through the floor maze in Rocket Hideout = evolution.

You clearly misunderstood the whole point...

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (32067 posts) -

ALL HAIL THE BIRD JESUS

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (32067 posts) -

They caught a rhyhorn!!!

#10 Posted by handssss (1901 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

@Mark36111 said:

You clearly misunderstood the whole point...

don't waste your breath on the infidel. He will never understand the ways of the Helix.

#11 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (19082 posts) -

It's neat but no this is not what I want in my future gaming experiences.

#12 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26630 posts) -

What Twitch plays Pokemon has shown us is that Fads happen at anytime and anywhere and can die out at anytime too.

A week before this showed up. Flappy Bird was the most talked thing. Then this showed up and no one cares about Flappy Bird.

#13 Edited by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

I love this experiment, I've been following it for three days now.

#14 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -
@LegatoSkyheart said:

What Twitch plays Pokemon has shown us is that Fads happen at anytime and anywhere and can die out at anytime too.

A week before this showed up. Flappy Bird was the most talked thing. Then this showed up and no one cares about Flappy Bird.

You do realize this is not a Flappy Bird case...
This is actual gaming I'm talking about, this Pokemon thing is just an example, I never said we should take that approach. What I talked in the OP is about creating a sandbox game which is shaped in real time by the players, and we progress through the game all together in a way. When I say shaped I mean pretty much everything: the world, the characters, the story, even certain game mechanics.

So how exactly is this similar to Flappy Bird or even this Pokemon thing? Besides it's just an idea, I'm not even sure whether it's technically possible to create such a game/environment today with the available technology. Maybe it actually requires a strong A.I to function properly, I really dunno

#15 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

I honestly don't get it, sure it's cool to have everyone control a game but it's completely impractical. I can't see how it will go much further once people tire of the novelty

#16 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26630 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

You do realize this is not a Flappy Bird case...

This is actual gaming I'm talking about, this Pokemon thing is just an example, I never said we should take that approach. What I talked in the OP is about creating a sandbox game which is shaped in real time by the players, and we progress through the game all together in a way. When I say shaped I mean pretty much everything: the world, the characters, the story, even certain game mechanics.

So how exactly is this similar to Flappy Bird or even this Pokemon thing? Besides it's just an idea, I'm not even sure whether it's technically possible to create such a game/environment today with the available technology. Maybe it actually requires a strong A.I to function properly, I really dunno

I was talking about fads. Not that Twitch plays Pokemon and Flappy Bird are the same thing.

I'm just saying Flappy Bird was a thing for a week then suddenly the next thing came up and now it's not as talked about anymore, but the Twitch Plays Pokemon bid is.

Also what you're suggesting is exactly what Peter Molyneux asked for Godus.

#17 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

it was a cool idea, IDK how well it worked but hey, Last time i check they go to the 3 gym so ya haha,

When i first check it out it was madness but since they added the voting system in, it looked like it worked out better

#18 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

something so simple or stupid can be a success, it's crazy!

#19 Posted by jg4xchamp (51461 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

I honestly don't get it, sure it's cool to have everyone control a game but it's completely impractical. I can't see how it will go much further once people tire of the novelty

This it'll never work as an honest thing.

As one giant internet joke of greatness? hell yeah

It has so many things working in its favor. It's an iconic game that holds a lot of nostalgia value, and has a style of play that lends itself to this type of format. The specific version they showed has the most impact with the typical twitch user, and best of all: the god damn weirdo fan fiction that came out of this. False Prophet. Helix Fossil. Bird Jesus. It's fucking great.

The raw comedy it provides from watching these people beat Erika using gust only or how they left silph co without the silph scope, or how they straight up went through mad trouble to teach drowzee psychic only for them to replace it with headbutt lol. It's a beautiful trainwreck you can't recreate in a videogame.

#20 Edited by bobbetybob (19307 posts) -

A full game like this would be awful. It's impossible to properly collaborate when you have lots of players so you just end up with a mass of people trying to do the same thing at the same time and tripping over each other. Even playing something as small as Left 4 Dead 2's 10 Vs 10 Versus mode shows you what happens when you have two competing sides and nobody on either side is able to communicate effectively. Complete carnage.

And sure that carnage can be fun for a while, it's on par with something like 64 player CoD4 Team Deathmatch on Shipment. But it's not a game experience you're going to keep coming back to.