PlayStation Vita Shipped 500,000 -- Nikkei

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

Sony shipped 500,000 PlayStation Vita units at launch, IGDA Japan vice coordinator Kyoshi Shin said today in a column for Nikkei.

Shin's article offered a critical look at the Vita's launch, noting that Sony failed to sell out of the initial shipment. Yesterday, Enterbrain reported a first week (covering just the 17th and 18th) sales total of 321,000 units for the system.

The main problem the system has faced at launch, Shin believes, is price. He notes that the cheapest purchase, assuming you buy the Wi-Fi model, an 8 gigabyte memory card, and a ¥5,000 game, would cost you about ¥33,000.

We should get sell through rate reports later in the week when Media Create releases its weekly sales analysis.

Missing from all these shipment and sales reports is any indication of what games buyers picked up with the system. Enterbrain and Media Create should provide some insight in this area when they release their weekly sales figures tonight.

http://andriasang.com/comzfo/vita_shipment/

Q: The PS Vita sold well over 50% of its stock, is this ratio normal for handhelds/consoles?

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Doesn't matter how much of its stock it sold. It matters how well it did compared to its competition.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

well 500k is better then 700k still didnt sell more then the 3ds though but good numbers

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wakefulness

Doesn't matter how much of its stock it sold. It matters how well it did compared to its competition.

mmmwksil

The PS Vita versus 3DS unit sales comparison numbers plain or the software and propriateries sales (i.e. memory cards)?

Keep in mind SCE makes their profits from memory cards which sold 90% over all (16 and 32GB sell outs nation wide).

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

mmmwksil

I think you got that backwards.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mmmwksil

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

wakefulness

The PS Vita versus 3DS unit sales comparison numbers plain or the software and propriateries sales (i.e. memory cards)?

Keep in mind SCE makes their profits from memory cards which sold 90% over all (16 and 32GB sell outs nation wide).

I'd argue flat hardware versus hardware. But that's if I cared at all about sales numbers.

And of course memory cards would sell better. People need to buy more than one if they're going to get the most out of their Vita, what with the tiny storage capacities Sony's forcing down their cows' throats.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#7 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

commonfate

I think you got that backwards.

It works both ways but you do need to be somewhat successful with both in order to make business.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

mmmwksil

That's stupid.

After DS massively outsold the PSP we can't just be happy for the good Vita sales (yes these are good sales considering it outsold PSP in same time, more expensive than 3DS with mandatory memory stick, and Monster Hunter is out on 3DS)? No one was expecting it to outsell 3DS.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mmmwksil

That's stupid.

After DS massively outsold the PSP we can't just be happy for the good Vita sales (yes these are good sales considering it outsold PSP in same time, more expensive than 3DS with mandatory memory stick, and Monster Hunter is out on 3DS)? No one was expecting it to outsell 3DS.

SaltyMeatballs

I know of at least one user here that did. :P

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

That's stupid.

mmmwksil

I know of at least one user here that did. :P

It was a figure of speech. I'm not sure if that person really did anyway.
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mmmwksil

It was a figure of speech. I'm not sure if that person really did anyway.SaltyMeatballs

Between you and me, I think he really did. The numbers yesterday crushed him. :P

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]It was a figure of speech. I'm not sure if that person really did anyway.mmmwksil

Between you and me, I think he really did. The numbers yesterday crushed him. :P

Lol. He must be really butthurt. Deeply, deeply, butthurt.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#13 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Its pretty obvious Nintendo won't be beat by any other competition until some video game company comes up with an iconic game figure like mario and they start selling some portable thats cheap and innovative.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

mmmwksil

I'd argue flat hardware versus hardware. But that's if I cared at all about sales numbers.

And of course memory cards would sell better. People need to buy more than one if they're going to get the most out of their Vita, what with the tiny storage capacities Sony's forcing down their cows' throats.

A lot of people view sales figures of a hardware as an indicator for things. It tends to be a slippery slope arguement in that support for the device in terms of games and experiences will oviously be there from first parties and the consistant supporting content creators.

Someone is mad about the propriatery parts. Haha.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mmmwksil

A lot of people view sales figures of a hardware as an indicator for things. It tends to be a slippery slope arguement in that support for the device in terms of games and experiences will oviously be there from first parties and the consistant supporting content creators.

wakefulness

Yeah, I wonder who

*looks around*

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wakefulness

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

SaltyMeatballs

That's stupid.

Plenty of people where expecting the PS Vita to out sell the 3DS in unit sales. Especially the many people that want to doubt the niche culture behind those that look at these things and get into arguements and try and fit in with one another.

Even the people that view these things in bnw terms can go into slipper slope arguements. The PSP was outsold in its lifespan but, for a time period the PSP was throughout outselling the DS worldwide. There are people who do not see that and they wish to insted go about feeling like the underdog or champion and fit in on the internet.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

mmmwksil

Yeah, I wonder who

*looks around*

I actually do not mind. I have not spent money on a console or gaming PC rig this generation. I know a few people who have but, are still looking forward to the PS Vita. They are used to propriatery things too but, will have the funds set asside to buythe things needed to get a PS Vita up and going.

Even with the 3DS that uses SD, if they did own it (I do not know any one who owns a 3DS) they do not really have a camera or device to which that would make use of (outside of the 3DS). So, the proprietary thing does not matter in terms of use outside of the device. The price is different issue. Prices for accesories are always susceptible to MSRP deflationm sales, etc.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

mmmwksil

I hope this is satire.