Playstation+ Subscripers tripled because of PS4.

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

And online gaming requirements.

During the announcement of the PlayStation Vita Slim earlier this week, Sony revealed some interesting numbers when it came to their PlayStation Plus Subscription service which offers fans of Sony’s systems the ability to grab some fantastic free games. During the conference SCEE General Manager Fergal Gara revealed a graph which showed the incline of PlayStation Plus subscription numbers for the past three months, revealing that numbers had tripled!

I mean this is technically not really that great of news when you actually think of how they got the numbers, but it is a sign that Playstations fans are willing to give more and this might have Sony improve services more. Also, the chance that they might pass XBLG numbers.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30216 posts) -

$ony.

Willing to give more? They don't really have the choice since they need it for multiplayer now

#3 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

Like I've always said making online gaming a part of your service essentially is forcing people into getting it. I've been a PS+ member prior to that announcement so I already saw the value in being one, however I still think it's utter crap to force people that literally only play COD/BF every year to dish out for PS+

#4 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42866 posts) -

Well, when it's mandatory to play online, the numbers are going to increase by a considerable margin.

#5 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Thanks M$ for leading the way with pay to play multiplayer business model. I wonder what other new "innovations" you'll introduce this gen.

#6 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Well, when it's mandatory to play online, the numbers are going to increase by a considerable margin.

#7 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10554 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

The sole reason why right here ^^^^^^^

#8 Posted by kinectthedots (1909 posts) -

I don't know if it's good or bad but I know Sony needs the money. They invest in alot of games, so if this allows them to continue doing what they are doing then so be it.

I enjoyed being able to play free but if Sony can invest in and release more fantastic games because of it then fvck it. PSN+ is not a bad service, I just don't like the idea of being forced to use it to gain full access to my paid for games.

My 2 cent but this is where I have to suck it up and #dealwithit

#9 Edited by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -

I just got PS+ myself and just in time to nab Metro for "free." Also got Shadow of the Colossus which is a stellar that I regret passing on when it was initially released.

I've yet to play any multiplayer which is the ultimate test so we'll see how that goes in the future.

#10 Posted by Netret0120 (2144 posts) -

Not surprising considering you HAVE to have it to play online. Great service with the games though. They aren't "free" but for $50 a year, getting 10+ games is a steal

#11 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11319 posts) -

As other people have said, requiring online of course was important to that. The fact that every new PS4 came with a free month of PS+ sure doesn't hurt.

#12 Posted by freedomfreak (40527 posts) -

Pay to play online.

#13 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer: I can't believe how they said it was because of the free games!

#14 Edited by -CC- (1893 posts) -

To be expected. People are making the switch from XBL to PS+ in droves this gen.

#15 Edited by TheEroica (13518 posts) -

Congrats $ony... You've got your golden rainbow now just like time.. Funny I thought the numbers would go down considering Sony fan boys would NEVER pay to play online... Hmm..

Ps thats post 12345. Oddly enough, the same as the combination on my luggage.

#16 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: I can't believe how they said it was because of the free games!

The word free seems to have a different definition with PSN+.

#17 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Congrats $ony... You've got your golden rainbow now just like ms... Funny I thought the numbers would go down considering Sony fan boys would NEVER pay to play online... Hmm..

Dont think about it as paying for online, think about it as paying 50 dollars for like 64 games and lots of discounts and cloud storage, etc. Does that help? =)

#18 Posted by Jynxzor (9307 posts) -

Was a subscriber for the free games previously. It's a shame but I seen it coming. I still stand by it being a shady practice and would never pay for PS+ if this was the sole reason for me using it, but I don't play online much and I have the subscription for the games.

#19 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -

Good news. Sony can now reinvest that money into their internal development studios and continuing to give PS+ subscribers a steady stream of games every year.

#20 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7278 posts) -

@-CC- said:

To be expected. People are making the switch from XBL to PS+ in droves this gen.

Hopefully enough people make the transition to make Microsoft drop XBLG. I would love to actually play some online Halo this gen.

#21 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I just let my year expert without renewing this past month. Wasn't worth it to me. I never had time to play the free games due to me being so behind on my PC games. I have my PC backlog down to 79 games. I have to get through most of it before I even bother getting a PS4.

#22 Edited by TheEroica (13518 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

@TheEroica said:

Congrats $ony... You've got your golden rainbow now just like ms... Funny I thought the numbers would go down considering Sony fan boys would NEVER pay to play online... Hmm..

Dont think about it as paying for online, think about it as paying 50 dollars for like 64 games and lots of discounts and cloud storage, etc. Does that help? =)

nahhhh.... that's a real nice perk though. doesn't change reality, if you want to play your games online you must abide to their 50$ per yer price tag. no sugar coating will change that. its pay... to play.

#23 Edited by Ghost120x (3885 posts) -

Paying for online sucks, but what can you do? I would jump to Wii U but third party is avoiding them like a plague and no one plays online on Wii U except for Nintendo games. At least I know Mario kart will be entertaining.

#24 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7278 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

Paying for online sucks, but what can you do? I would jump to Wii U but third party is avoiding them like a plague and no one plays online on Wii U except for Nintendo games. At least I know Mario kart will be entertaining.

PC

#25 Posted by tymeservesfate (1834 posts) -

welp, i guess that hardline stance cows stood last gen about it being against their strong morals to pay for online was bullshit, lol.

"oh the value, the value of psn+, the VALUE!!"

bullshit you hypocrites lol.

the only thing PSN+ can bolster is they let u rent more games than Xbox Live lets its users HAVE....besides that the value difference leans towards Live and its dedicated servers. whats the point of all those damn games if the online is still laggy as fuck, and ur still paying.

#26 Edited by foxhound_fox (88291 posts) -

Not hard to achieve when you make subscription mandatory to play online.

#27 Posted by darkspineslayer (19679 posts) -

@TheEroica: "The same as the combination on my luggage"

I c wut u did thar. :lol:

#28 Edited by TheEroica (13518 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

@TheEroica: "The same as the combination on my luggage"

I c wut u did thar. :lol:

Wait... no I didnt. :(

#29 Posted by blackace (20728 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Pretty much. XBL has been increasing every year since XBL was introduced.

#30 Edited by blackace (20728 posts) -
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Ghost120x said:

PC

Everyone pays. It just some gamers have to pay more. It'll be interesting if publishers start charging PC games fee to play their games on their servers. knowing PC gamers, they would just pirate the codes or hack the servers. lol!!

#31 Edited by DrRockso87 (2524 posts) -

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with it for two reasons:

1) Sony ended the horrible, anti-consumer "online pass" business practice they picked up from THQ and EA. Screw online passes. Thank God they're dead and buried.

2) PlayStation Plus, in my personal opinion, is a great service and more than worth it. Sometimes I receive games that amount $40 on PSN for no extra charge. It pays for itself. Plus, if the money is going toward investing in new games, features, better online, etc. then I'm content.

But that's just me.

#32 Posted by darkspineslayer (19679 posts) -

@blackace: Games with Windows Live was a thing. One collective fuck you from PC gamers later....

#33 Posted by cainetao11 (17542 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

$ony.

Willing to give more? They don't really have the choice since they need it for multiplayer now

Exactly. Why is this tough to understand for some people. You cant play online multiplayer unless you subscribe to PS+, that's why the numbers are coming in. They watched Gold for MS bring in $ and since Sony needs money they followed suit.

#34 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4781 posts) -
@blackace said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Ghost120x said:

PC

Everyone pays. It just some gamers have to pay more. It'll be interesting if publishers start charging PC games fee to play their games on their servers. knowing PC gamers, they would just pirate the codes or hack the servers. lol!!

pay to play online has happened before on pc, and technically it is still happening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Entertainment_Network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer.com

and not to mention all the subscription supported mmorpgs on PC. i'm paying for one at the moment.

#35 Edited by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@blackace:

And how many times have XBL and PSN been hacked

#36 Posted by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@crimsonman1245:

64 games? How many of them do you actually owned instead of renting

#37 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

But it isn't required across the board for everything online like Microsoft does. Free to play games on the PS4 are indeed free like dc universe doesn't need ps+, and sony have said multiple times that they will leave it up to developers if they want their game behind the PS+ paywall. Meanwhile you can still message friends, chat, use Netflix and so on for free unlike XBL. How does a moderator on a game forum not know this or at least acknowledge?

But no, Id dare say requiring it for a lot of online games has pushed people into learning more about it and they found out all the benefits of it. Shit, I know 5 people personally who bought PS+ strictly for the discounts on PSN games, and the fact they get 5 games a month added to their account a long with 18 games starting out. A lot of people bought it with a PS3 just for the games because they get several hundred dollars of stuff a year for 50 bucks. That coupled with the popularity of the playstation name in the past few months has helped a lot as well.

It isn't something as stupid as simply "Duh they make you pay to play online".

#38 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42866 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

But it isn't required across the board for everything online like Microsoft does. Free to play games on the PS4 are indeed free like dc universe doesn't need ps+, and sony have said multiple times that they will leave it up to developers if they want their game behind the PS+ paywall. Meanwhile you can still message friends, chat, use Netflix and so on for free unlike XBL. How does a moderator on a game forum not know this or at least acknowledge?

But no, Id dare say requiring it for a lot of online games has pushed people into learning more about it and they found out all the benefits of it. Shit, I know 5 people personally who bought PS+ strictly for the discounts on PSN games, and the fact they get 5 games a month added to their account a long with 18 games starting out. A lot of people bought it with a PS3 just for the games because they get several hundred dollars of stuff a year for 50 bucks. That coupled with the popularity of the playstation name in the past few months has helped a lot as well.

It isn't something as stupid as simply "Duh they make you pay to play online".

I'm sure your average PS owner who plays online gaming (like COD/BF) are indeed thinking, "I don't need PS+ because there's F2P games! And there's apps that are not behind a paywall!" Oh, and "I can message friends, and party chat while using apps! Thanks Sony, I don't need PS+!"

If case that went over your head, it was sarcasm.

#39 Posted by MirkoS77 (7473 posts) -

Glad to know. I'm willing to support Sony now. They're making a good effort with games, seem to be listening, PS Now is on the way. Free games with PSN+ and sales. They've got my full support this gen if they keep it up.

#40 Posted by Basinboy (11155 posts) -

Put multiplayer behind a paywall and no duh you'll increase subs.

The amazing part is that Sony convinced gamers that they'd like it.

#41 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7278 posts) -

@blackace said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Ghost120x said:

PC

Microsoft tried that with games they published for awhile. Nobody bought those games, so Microsoft stopped trying to rip their pc customers off.

#42 Posted by lostrib (36900 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Congrats $ony... You've got your golden rainbow now just like time.. Funny I thought the numbers would go down considering Sony fan boys would NEVER pay to play online... Hmm..

Ps thats post 12345. Oddly enough, the same as the combination on my luggage.

Nice

#43 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4398 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Thanks M$ for leading the way with pay to play multiplayer business model. I wonder what other new "innovations" you'll introduce this gen.

So Sony were forced to follow suit? Oh yeah I forgot nothings Sony's fault.

#44 Posted by Krelian-co (10921 posts) -

@blackace said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Ghost120x said:

PC

ah ignorance at it's best, you never fail to deliver blackace

Microsoft already tried bringing pay to play online mode to pc with games for windows but it backfired because pc gamers are not dumb consolites that have to settle for what their console overlords say.

#45 Posted by NFJSupreme (5369 posts) -

No shock here. Ps+ is basically mandatory.

#46 Posted by DarthBilf (1356 posts) -

Well yeah, of course. Multiplayer is behind a pay wall now. This isn't surprising in the least.

#47 Edited by _Matt_ (8911 posts) -

Sounds about right, now people have to pay for online so of course membership numbers will increase a lot.

Good for Sony though, they need the money.

#48 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151019 posts) -

Shouldn't be a surprise....is necessary now after all.

#49 Posted by darkangel115 (1682 posts) -

tripled? so since there are about 4 million PS4s sold, assuming everyone got a PSN plus sub, that means that the amount of PSN+ subscribers last gen was 1.33 million compared to the 46 million for XBLG? Thats kinda sad

#50 Posted by speedfog (3197 posts) -

Suprise suprise cows.