MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Sony has added prices to the beta for their PlayStation Now streaming service, and though these are experimental numbers—it's a beta, after all—the current prices are insane.12

What's more, as of right now, PS Now beta testers actually have to pay to play games. If I want to test out the service, I have to dish out crazy amounts of cash.

This afternoon I signed up for the PS Now beta, which Steve tested out yesterday. And here's how much it costs to rent Final Fantasy XIII-2, which came out in 2012:

$5 for four hours! $30 for 90 days! You can buy the whole game on Amazon for $17.4

And here's Guacamelee:

Why do you have to pay $15 for a 90-day rental when it costs $15 to buy the game on PS3?6

Other games cost similar prices, which seem to be based on when they came out.

There's a little note on the bottom of PlayStation Now that reads: "Game titles and features shown are for testing purposes only. Not indicative of the final price." But anyone who's in the beta right now has to pay these prices. I just tried to rent Deus Ex: Human Revolution and had to pay $4.99 for four hours of the privilege.

And it looks like prices like this could be here to stay. From the PS Now FAQ: "The upcoming Open Beta will test multiple pricing tiers and rental durations. You will see shorter rental periods prices as low as $2.99 and most titles are between that and $19.99. More information to be announced later."

Granted, Sony has promised that they'll be offering some sort of subscription program when the service actually launches, but at least for now, don't bother with the PS Now beta unless you've got a fat wallet.78

I want my $4.99 back.

http://kotaku.com/playstation-now-prices-are-currently-insane-1594025919

#SDCBABY

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

What was the deal with SolidTy making such a huge effort to say otherwise whereas both numerous media outlets and other SW users also confirmed the pricing you mentioned in the OP?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I believe these prices are just a placeholder and most likely will change once the service goes live.

there is another similar thread in the first page where one poster posted this link which states prices are going to be between $3 to $19 max : http://www.gamepur.com/news/15161-official-playstation-now-pricing-details-revealed-ranges-299-1999-subscript.html

Also Sony is asking people for feedback regarding the prices, they want your feedback on the prices: http://www.examiner.com/article/playstation-now-beta-game-rentals-prices-are-polarizing-sony-wants-feedback

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Yeah I pretty much ended my Beta participation now that it costs an excessive amount of money to play old crappy games. The free selection wasn't that great in the first place, but paying for the replacement crop of forgettable dinosaurs is just insane.

Paying $5 to rent a game for 4 hours that I can pick up at Gamestop for $10 doesn't make a lot of financial sense. $1 for a one day rental...yes....$5 for a 4 hour rental of a 5 year old game...no thank you.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

They are working on it.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

It is mind trick to make $3-19$ seems cheap pretty genious Sony. ...or just insane Sony as always.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

I believe these prices are just a placeholder and most likely will change once the service goes live.

there is another similar thread in the first page where one poster posted this link which states prices are going to be between $3 to $19 max : http://www.gamepur.com/news/15161-official-playstation-now-pricing-details-revealed-ranges-299-1999-subscript.html

Also Sony is asking people for feedback regarding the prices, they want your feedback on the prices: http://www.examiner.com/article/playstation-now-beta-game-rentals-prices-are-polarizing-sony-wants-feedback

Placeholder or not, it shows the intentions. Service looks to be bullshit. Put psx and ps2 BC on ps4, and use psNOW for ps3 with a flat rate monthly price.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Hahaha that's actually quite hilarious. $5 for 4h of Deus Ex is a terrible deal for sure. Guacamelee is on Steams sale for €5.19 (will likely go for lower in a flash sale). I suppose this service is for people with hangovers and poor judgement :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Hahaha that's actually quite hilarious. $5 for 4h of Deus Ex is a terrible deal for sure. Guacamelee is on Steams sale for €5.19 (will likely go for lower in a flash sale). I suppose this service is for people with hangovers and poor judgement :P

To be fair, there's likely the chance that the beta is priced as such in order to reveal real feedback. There's undoubtedly going to be some type of "reward" for going through the process along with a survey.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Cows are really insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

What? Thats fvckin stupid. Sony is getting worse and worse... It seems PS4 success is getting to their heads. I guess they didnt learn a thing with the PS3

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

The milkage continues.

Earn your name Sony Fan.

It's things like this that will make me abandon console gaming and strictly buy PC titles. Anyone that buys into this sham is a fool.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

They will change it...... we can only hope.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

They don't call them cows for nothing. Farmer Sony loves milking them.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

lmao whining about beta prices.

Who the **** rents a game for four hours or 90 days anyway?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kuu2 said:

The milkage continues.

Earn your name Sony Fan.

It's things like this that will make me abandon console gaming and strictly buy PC titles. Anyone that buys into this sham is a fool.

Is PSN now mandatory.?

No.?

Ok then...carry on...

Worse than MS it could not be at least games cost money you can't get quacamele free,you people had been paying for Netflix and justifying it which has been free every freaking where so was online play for the las 11 years which still is free on PC,PS Vita,PS3,DS,wii,wii u,cell phones and you still defend that crap.

What you don't like don't support it,like i say if my PSN+ subscription runs out and sony has nothing good i would drop it,paying for online is a scam no matter who does it,and this service look just as bad.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tormentos

@mems_1224 said:

How good it was those $60 for netflix on xbox 360..lol

MOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Cows are really insane.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I read that someone wrote that ps now prices are high because when you get the game you can play it on bravia tv's, ps3, vita or ps4. But even then the pricing is still ridiculous, so we can only do 2 things:

1. give the feedback and hope they change it

2. if not then vote with your wallet

I was never interested on this shit anyway. I thought PS Now was gonna provide BC but this is not the case.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@tormentos said:

@mems_1224 said:

How good it was those $60 for netflix on xbox 360..lol

MOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Sorry, can you write that in English? I dont speak moron.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#22 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@tormentos said:you can't get quacamele free

What the **** is this

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@MonsieurX: Ummm.... the 4 hour one is stupid, that should be 48 hours imo. like movies.

But this pricing... for the 7 days and up... is better than any renting service that the UK use to have... I rememebr 15 years ago with blockbuster renting snes/n64/ps1 games.... you'd pay that much for 2 days (the 7 day price)... and you'd have to wait for stock.

That being said... I was hoping for a subscription option... e.g I use boomerang rentals sometimes for console games... £17 a month... 2 games at once ect.... but a steaming version around the same price would of been fantastic... so like netflix.

the article... also doesn't factor in that while you can buy the game on PS3 for the same price..... PS NOW is not PS3 dependant... whereas... the physical copy is. you can play the game anywhere on any PS NOW device.... and a service that costs to run.

I don't have a PS3.... so that option is non existant anyway.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@kuu2 said:

The milkage continues.

Earn your name Sony Fan.

Says the guy who bought an Xbox one when it was so pivotal to the system they could easily take it out a year later. :P

Gotta check yourself before you wreck yoself son :D

Though I agree the prices are bat shit crazy

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tormentos

@Blabadon said:

@tormentos said:you can't get quacamele free

What the **** is this

Guacamelee

Come on is me i eat an E and used a lower case letter still understandable...hahaha

@mems_1224 said:

Sorry, can you write that in English? I dont speak moron.

Hahahaha...

That denial...hahahaha

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50551 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

If you're in the beta, you have every fucking right to whine. That's ridiculous

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

wow, you actually have to pay to beta test this shit, no cow doing this gets to ever complain about XBLG prices again, which amount to like $4-5/month

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

I think that a $15 monthly fee would be ok to download any game that I want. I would prefer that. Now there is something that has not been mentioned. That is that Sony has to go through an ISP. If that is the case they have to pay for bandwidth. That can and will get pricey if the service becomes popular. Food for thought.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#29  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Reading some of the responses, my lord. If Nintendo or valve or MS made a beta with these prices it would be the worst disaster in global history. But the band aiding and excuse making for Sony is off the charts with some. We know its a beta, we know they want feedback, but where is their logic? $5 for 4 hours? They need feedback to know the prices make no sense? Are you sony apologists kidding?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cainetao11

@tormentos said:

@kuu2 said:

The milkage continues.

Earn your name Sony Fan.

Is PSN now mandatory.?

No.?

Ok then...carry on...

Worse than MS it could not be at least games cost money you can't get quacamele free,you people had been paying for Netflix and justifying it which has been free every freaking where so was online play for the las 11 years which still is free on PC,PS Vita,PS3,DS,wii,wii u,cell phones and you still defend that crap.

What you don't like don't support it,like i say if my PSN+ subscription runs out and sony has nothing good i would drop it,paying for online is a scam no matter who does it,and this service look just as bad.

Not anymore. This is happening NOW. You stay in the past if you want though bro

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

do you rent games individually? I thought it was a sub base where it's a membership to play all games on the thing

$5 for 4 hours LAWLS couldn't they really just make it 5 hours? even then you can go red box for $2 for 24 hours

$30 for 90 days isn't bad if it's for every game but for one game? hell na unless it's a brand new game than it wouldn't be too bad.

~

paying for a beta that cute! Really they better pull a blizzard and return all that money at the end and just using this to test prices and seeing what people is willing to pay

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I've never wanted to see something in the video game industry fail as much as I want to see PlayStation Now fail. If it succeeds, I think it will set a bad precedent.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@MonsieurX: I expect these prices to change really soon because ... they are ridiculous !

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

If you're in the beta, you have every fucking right to whine. That's ridiculous

Well, yeah. That's why it's a fucking beta.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Microsoft and Sony need to seriously show the benefits through price of going digital.

Not getting physical media and paying the same MSRP price for a game 10-20 dollars cheaper from Amazon or some other outlet is an insult to all gamers.

Until then, they can keep this digital and shove it somewhere special.

Whoever runs pricing at Microsoft and Sony digital needs fired. Seriously!

There is Zero Value in going digital over physical, other than getting up and changing a disk.

You can't even trade the damn game in and they're charging full MSRP for a game! They are charging end users the Retail profit margins for digital games. It's theft no matter how they spin it.

No thanks. Crooks.

EDIT for more thoughts on the matter.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

lol if those are the prices there's no chance I'll be using PS Now

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Reading some of the responses, my lord. If Nintendo or valve or MS made a beta with these prices it would be the worst disaster in global history. But the band aiding and excuse making for Sony is off the charts with some. We know its a beta, we know they want feedback, but where is their logic? $5 for 4 hours? They need feedback to know the prices make no sense? Are you sony apologists kidding?

The pricing is stupid, even for a beta is stupid. When you consider this is coming up against the likes of Lovefilm which allow you to rent entire games for about £5 a month for unlimited rentals.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tormentos

@cainetao11 said:

Not anymore. This is happening NOW. You stay in the past if you want though bro

You still can't play free to play games online free on xbox one,on PS4,PC and cell phones you can..

So yeah while some things have changes do to MS fallowing the leader,some things still need change.

How is something free to play when you need to pay for online to play it.? Skyrim double dip.?

@k2theswiss said:

do you rent games individually? I thought it was a sub base where it's a membership to play all games on the thing

$5 for 4 hours LAWLS couldn't they really just make it 5 hours? even then you can go red box for $2 for 24 hours

$30 for 90 days isn't bad if it's for every game but for one game? hell na unless it's a brand new game than it wouldn't be too bad.

~

paying for a beta that cute! Really they better pull a blizzard and return all that money at the end and just using this to test prices and seeing what people is willing to pay

That is basically an ultra scam,not even the most sony biased moron would byte that sh**.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

"Why do you have to pay $15 for a 90-day rental for guacamelee when it costs $15 to buy the game on PS3?".

i lol'ed at this..buy yeah, the prices are stupid.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cainetao11

@tormentos:

Fair enough. But the touche is what feedback does Sony logically need to know if I can buy a game for $19.99, I wont rent it for $19.99? And $5 for 4 hours? I never said MS was free of blame in spots but the excuses being made for Sony on this pricing in a fvckin Beta are absurd.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Sony did confirm the prices as being the the current planned prices. So they aren't a placeholder, but they may be adjusted if enough people complain.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

if this is legit, that pricing is complete and utter bullshit. fix this now sony!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Sony did confirm the prices as being the the current planned prices. So they aren't a placeholder, but they may be adjusted if enough people complain.

so sad

~

There goes the holy station

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

link?

Because all the articles I have read from only 1 maybe 3 days at most says that this pricing is not final and that they want feedback.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

This is hilarous, especially after solidty wrote about 10 essays on how there were no prices.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I haven't rented anything since they started charging. Fortunately I can still play the other rentals I had until they expire.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

thank you TC bark louder you can make this happen! sony listens

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

lol cows

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cainetao11

if only they could use old crazy eddie

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Should just be a subscription service. Paying for individual games is stupid.