PlayStation Now praised for things OnLive did years ago

  • 111 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/8/5288566/report-sony-now-future-of-gaming

PlayStation Now has exceeded expectations. Not only will you be able to stream PS3 games on your PS4, you can stream PlayStation titles from any generation on any device.

PS4 has a share button that allows you to "instantly" stream gameplay and "instantly" upload gameplay clips.

Back in October 2010, OnLive opened to the public, announcing that the service will be free forever. OnLive introduced these ideas, and does them better. OnLive's controller had a button that allowed you to instantly capture and upload the last ten seconds of gameplay. And every time you launched the game, you were streaming live.

Why does OnLive do it better? On PS4, you stream to Twitch. There is a 10-15 second delay, so voice chatting with spectators is impossible. On OnLive there is a sub-second delay with gameplay streams and you can voice chat with your spectators live while you play the game. This is impossible on any other platform.

PlayStation Now looks promising, and if Gaikai is using NVIDIA's Grid technology, the latency and gameplay experience will be superior to what OnLive has right now. But when it comes to features and seamlessness, OnLive can't be beat. Everytime I hop on OnLive, I forget how amazing and seamless the social features are.

#2 Edited by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

onlive sucked

#3 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

onlive sucked

The world wasn't ready for it. Now Sony is bringing us PlayStation Now, which is essentially the same thing.

#4 Posted by MonsieurX (30474 posts) -

Sony copying since 1996

#5 Posted by mems_1224 (47285 posts) -

@PinkiePirate said:

@mems_1224 said:

onlive sucked

The world wasn't ready for it. Now Sony is bringing us PlayStation Now, which is essentially the same thing.

and knowing sony it will probably be sub par.

#6 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Sony copying since 1996

MonsieurX jelly since ...birth.

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (30474 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Sony copying since 1996

MonsieurX jelly since ...birth.

xboxdone74 useless post #660

#8 Edited by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

@mems_1224 said:

onlive sucked

The world wasn't ready for it. Now Sony is bringing us PlayStation Now, which is essentially the same thing.

and knowing sony it will probably be sub par.

The reason OnLive failed is because of poor marketing and lack of developer outreach and support. Sony will pick up where OnLive left off and will provide an amazing library of games available to many devices. The fact that you won't need to buy a console or a specific device to play amazing Sony first-party titles will be a huge selling point.

#9 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Sony copying someone else and then acting like they didn't and it's really actually great now? SHOCKING!

#10 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

Onlive had terrible execution, compression, latency and a handful of other issues.

It was a pay to rent or pay to own service.

There were a lot more thing going on with it and a lot of questioning of the morality of it. If paying 60 dollars for something in the cloud was truly yours.

#11 Posted by Bigboi500 (30095 posts) -

@PinkiePirate said:

@mems_1224 said:

onlive sucked

The world wasn't ready for it. Now Sony is bringing us PlayStation Now, which is essentially the same thing.

I don't know that the world is any more ready for it now either. How many people who are into PS3 games that don't already own them in physical form will get involved? How many more people have the recommended 5-6mb/sec connections than they did during Onlive's prime?

Not saying it wont be successful, but I'm wondering to what degree?

#12 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9860 posts) -

I dont remember Onlive having Playstation games.

#13 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

And tell us, are you upset about this? How do you feel.

@PinkiePirate said:

PlayStation Now praised for things OnLive did years ago

.

#14 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

Yes, I am upset that OnLive went bankrupt and had to layoff most of their staff. OnLive 2.0 is coming though. They are doing a UI overhaul and it's looking pretty good.

#15 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

#rikusakireturns

#16 Posted by lundy86_4 (43549 posts) -

I still have zero interest in streaming mah games. Could be cool, or it could flop.

#17 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

@whiskeystrike said:

#rikusakireturns

I dont know who that is. What are you talking about. I am just another guy who is passionate about cloud gaming and is madly in love with Steve Perlman. Also, Gran Turismo.

#18 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Onlive just copied sega. Sega had a streaming service back in the genesis days http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel

Yeah but onlive was a god awful mess from a half assed company every step of the way. So they don't deserve any praise at all. Onlive was a fucking terrible mess. Its game selection was shit, their hardware was cheaply made, the pricing wasn't very good, the interface for useage was clunky, the support was terrible, the customer service was pathetic, their marketing was pathetic, and they couldn't give a single person a real reason as to why they should use their service. It was a pipe dream whipped up by some guy who thought he was going to cash in and make an easy million when in reality he had no real plan, he just threw something together and expected cash to start flooding in.

#19 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3303 posts) -

Things aren't cool or accepted here until Cows say so. Streaming, metacritic, remote play, pay for online, sales etc.

#20 Posted by lostrib (37774 posts) -

@PinkiePirate said:

@whiskeystrike said:

#rikusakireturns

I dont know who that is. What are you talking about. I am just another guy who is passionate about cloud gaming and is madly in love with Steve Perlman. Also, Gran Turismo.

so rikusaki confirmed

#21 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (987 posts) -

enjoy Playstation Now input lag.

#22 Posted by lostrib (37774 posts) -

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

enjoy Playstation Now input lag.

It really shouldn't be surprising, but it's not even released yet

#23 Edited by hoosier7 (3846 posts) -

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

enjoy Playstation Now input lag.

It's like playing Xbone games.

#24 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26593 posts) -

what ever happened to onlive?

#25 Edited by Seabas989 (10405 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

what ever happened to onlive?

what ever happened to rikusaki?

#26 Edited by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

@Seabas989 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

what ever happened to onlive?

what ever happened to rikusaki?

*cough* he's in this thread

#27 Edited by ProtossX (580 posts) -

OP Playstation Now is gonna have 1000's more games than on live its gonna have better service than on live

how did it copy it when its doing way better than it?

i ujst said its gonna be better more games less lag more games less lag more products less lag

bigger known company

bro u don't even know what you are even talking about

#28 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

While I'm skeptical on how well this will work for the same reason that Onlive never took off (latency), you also fail to realize that Playstation Now is also offering up Sony's entire first party and second party titles from an entire 3 generations of consoles gaming.

#29 Edited by kuu2 (7373 posts) -

So the cloud is cool now. Also if games can actually be streamed why can't the cloud be used to help with graphics in games????

Sony Fan continue to be the clowns of SW.

#30 Edited by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

enjoy Playstation Now input lag.

That's actually not bad. That looks like 5-6 frames, which is about 91ms. The lag you get from the HDMI cable to the display is about 66ms.

#31 Edited by millerlight89 (18569 posts) -

@Seabas989 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

what ever happened to onlive?

what ever happened to rikusaki?

He is the TC. He has no clue what he is talking about. Just see his post above mine.

#32 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5151 posts) -

Lems panicking so hard about PS Now they have to post slowed down GIFs to reassure themselves.

#33 Posted by GhoX (5027 posts) -

@PinkiePirate said:

The reason OnLive failed is because of poor marketing and lack of developer outreach and support. Sony will pick up where OnLive left off and will provide an amazing library of games available to many devices. The fact that you won't need to buy a console or a specific device to play amazing Sony first-party titles will be a huge selling point.

OnLive failed because it had a poor library of games. The console platforms obviously weren't willing to allow any of their exclusives being streamed via OnLive, and OnLive didn't have access to the entire PC library either. On the other hand, the entire library of all previous generations of PS games is extremely alluring.

#34 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5151 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

So the cloud is cool now. Also if games can actually be streamed why can't the cloud be used to help with graphics in games????

Sony Fan continue to be the clowns of SW.

Streaming old games =/= having muh Azure servers do the physics for Halo 5. The former is more viable than the latter.

One day lems will realise that they backed the wrong horse regarding DA CLAWD and will be deeply apologetic and regretful.

#35 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@Seabas989 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

what ever happened to onlive?

what ever happened to rikusaki?

He is the TC. He has no clue what he is talking about. Just see his post above mine.

I know so much you guys. I know that cloud gaming is the future. And Sony knows it.

#36 Edited by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

I have a 10mb connection speed. OnLive worked like shit on 10mb, blurry mess on most games and controller lag. It was a horrible experience. PlayStation Now promises a smooth experience on simply a 5mb connection. The tech is obviously much better, hopefully.. Maybe.

#37 Edited by The_Stand_In (396 posts) -

@ProtossX said:

OP Playstation Now is gonna have 1000's more games than on live its gonna have better service than on live

how did it copy it when its doing way better than it?

i ujst said its gonna be better more games less lag more games less lag more products less lag

bigger known company

bro u don't even know what you are even talking about

What? That didn't even make sense. Just because PS Now will have more games and better support doesn't mean it didn't copy OnLive's ideas...

Once again Sony is copying something and Sony fanboys think its an original idea....because they saw Sony do it first/better.

People that can think for themselves and know what they are talking about, however, can see the similarities and what Sony took from OnLive and what they didn't.

#38 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

@Crossel777 said:

I have a 10mb connection speed. OnLive worked like shit on 10mb, blurry mess on most games and controller lag. It was a horrible experience. PlayStation Now promises a smooth experience on simply a 5mb connection. The tech is obviously much better.

OnLive promised HD with 2.5mbps. I'm sure Sony's experience will be similar. You need a very optimized video compression algorithm to stream HD at that low of a bitrate.

#39 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

@The_Stand_In said:

@ProtossX said:

OP Playstation Now is gonna have 1000's more games than on live its gonna have better service than on live

how did it copy it when its doing way better than it?

i ujst said its gonna be better more games less lag more games less lag more products less lag

bigger known company

bro u don't even know what you are even talking about

What? That didn't even make sense. Just because PS Now will have more games and better support doesn't mean it didn't copy OnLive's ideas...

Once again Sony is copying something and Sony fanboys think its an original idea....because they saw Sony do it first/better.

People that can think for themselves and know what they are talking about, however, can see the similarities and what Sony took from OnLive and what they didn't.

Even the "Live From PlayStation" feature on the PS4 is a rip from OnLive's Arena.

#40 Posted by Livecommander (39 posts) -

Xbox uses bluray now. Everybody "copies" off of everybody. I guess ipods copied off of mp3s a while back l Iol

#41 Edited by Netret0120 (2209 posts) -

Everyone copies everyone.

Ipods copied MP3 players and did it better.

Sony copied Nintendo and did it better. COD copied older FPS' and did it better.

If it ain't broke, don't fix, just do.

#42 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25614 posts) -

@PinkiePirate said:

@mems_1224 said:

onlive sucked

The world wasn't ready for it. Now Sony is bringing us PlayStation Now, which is essentially the same thing.

Problem with Onlive.

You didn't own crap. Your Online goes out you're jack crap out of luck getting to play your games.

Onlive dies say good bye to your games.

Playstation Now suffers the same problems, but at least you got your PS4 games when your Online dies or if the service kicks the bucket.

#43 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16592 posts) -

Onlive was an awful service, and defending it any fashion is beyond pathetic. Not only did the games look like complete trash, the control delay made playing games a complete chore. Playstation Now sounds far more promising overall.

#44 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

Onlive sucked and was stuck at 720p.

#45 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

@PinkiePirate: I think the Brand reputation and available capital does help Sony penetrate the market more. Onlive did not have the brand reputation which makes their offering a hard sell. Also the market back then is different to the market we have now

#47 Edited by kinectthedots (2015 posts) -

I don't see a problem here.

MS has been praised for things Sega did years ago (online on consoles) as well but I never see people getting their panties in a bunch to correct the misinformed individuals who continue to spread that false information.

Also I do not remember anyone saying Sony was the first to do streaming on consoles (sega is still the forrunner of that), but sony is the one pushing that idea foward in a major way on their console now.

Again what is the problem here? Are people just mad that Sony is doing something their head to head competitors are not?

#48 Edited by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

It's called marketing. Apple does that since... ever?

#49 Posted by kinectthedots (2015 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

So the cloud is cool now. Also if games can actually be streamed why can't the cloud be used to help with graphics in games????

Sony Fan continue to be the clowns of SW.

Sony was doing cloud on PS3 with real applications just like they are doing PS Now...with real applications.

Until MS actually dose something with the cloud that shows any validity to their claims with REAL APPLICATIONS then anyone trying to champion those unrealized things "using da cloud" are the real clowns.

Again Sony are actually doing the things they proposing with the could using real applications, they aren't "talking" about it.

What are you using to defend the graphics argument that MS proposed using the cloud...your heart?

#50 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2101 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Sony copying since 1996

and if MS had this service coming to the X1, you would be shouting from the mountain tops how great it is!! Stop being such an ingnorant fanboy!!