PlayStation 4, Xbox One to Sell 100 Million Units

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

The last home system to hit the 100 million mark was the Wii.

Video game industry research center DFC Intelligence anticipates that the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will both sell 100 million units by 2020.

The report, which DFC Intelligence shared with GamesIndustry International, also projects video game revenue over the next few years; the center raised its worldwide game revenue forecast to $77 billion this year, up from $68 billion in 2013. It also states that video game revenue could be in the neighborhood of $100 billion by the end of this decade, thanks to the “core gamer spending more than ever.”

DFC said that “price and strength in Europe give the PlayStation 4 a slight edge;” a difference that might also factor into the PlayStation 4 becoming the biggest console launch in history, though the Xbox One led console sales in December 2013.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were released one week apart in November. The Nintendo Wii was the only system from the previous generation to hit the 100 million mark.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/playstation-4-xbox-one-to-sell-100-million-units-research-predicts

#2 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Incoming stampede of crying hermits as consoles take completely over.

#3 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

In six years? Yea by that time steam will have more active user than that.

#4 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -
#5 Edited by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

Funny thing is PC players love steam because it gives them a unified friends list, place to buy games, and a community. The same thing XBL and PSN gives us. But without all the extra features

#6 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

@Shielder7:

I see no large amount of gamers dropping steam because the positive out weight the negative. Its not like these games don't have reviews for them so people will know how good a game is before buying.

#7 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

@Shielder7:

I usually do not agree with them. In this case, it is plausible. The issue that I have here is that it looks like they are assuming most console owners only buy one console.

I would think that over 50% of Wii console owners either also got a PS3/360, or bought one as a fad and will not be a next gen buyer. But, there could be enough new buyers and former Wii owners to give and extra 30+ million to Sony and MS.

#8 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

PS4 maybe but Xbone doesn't stand a chance in hell. It's only doing well in the US and getting destroyed worldwide.

#9 Edited by tonitorsi (8297 posts) -

I can foresee the Quad cracking a cool 100 milli with the right advertising push and price adjustments + Sony's imense 1st / 2nd party studios making a play on this.

Xbox? If the current console sales are a valid indicative of anything, I don't see it feasibly happening. MS just fvcked it up good with the initial price.

#10 Posted by gameofthering (10134 posts) -

The only system I think that has the ability to reach 100 million is the PS4.

#11 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@Shielder7:

I see no large amount of gamers dropping steam because the positive out weight the negative. Its not like these games don't have reviews for them so people will know how good a game is before buying.

To Quote Jim Sterling in the video.

"It can't last this kind of business model, one that favors total market saturation over customer satisfaction, Quality guarantee and ones own credibility is so short sighted I'm surprised any company still goes for it."

#12 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Funny thing is PC players love steam because it gives them a unified friends list, place to buy games, and a community. The same thing XBL and PSN gives us. But without all the extra Headaches.

Fixed that for you.

#13 Posted by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

Funny thing is PC players love steam because it gives them a unified friends list, place to buy games, and a community. The same thing XBL and PSN gives us. But without all the extra Headaches.

Fixed that for you.

PC gaming is way more headaches then console gaming. in exchange you get custom mods, and more power. Thats why i have a gaming PC that is way more powerful then an X1 and PS4 yet barely use it. Not a fan of PC gaming. Nothing against it, but its more wasted time and less fun then console gaming to me

#14 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

#15 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

@Shielder7:

Guy from Escapist is irrelevant if you care so much about what he said good for you. We all can make our own decisions that's why you don't buy a game if your not sure if it is good or not.

Also funny how your hoping on board about what DFC is saying but when they released numbers they predicted that the pc gaming market would make in 2014 you made all kinds of excused like how they could have included kickstarter and pc hardware sales. Good job at being a delusional fanboy.

#16 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@Shielder7:

I usually do not agree with them. In this case, it is plausible. The issue that I have here is that it looks like they are assuming most console owners only buy one console.

I would think that over 50% of Wii console owners either also got a PS3/360, or bought one as a fad and will not be a next gen buyer. But, there could be enough new buyers and former Wii owners to give and extra 30+ million to Sony and MS.

The gaming market is just growing in general i would imagine. Older gamers arent putting their controllers down, but every year new gamers pick them up. Consoles are also increasingly being purchased and used as media centers these days rather than dedicated gaming hardware.

Hell i plan on gaming to the grave and when im rotting in a retirement home i cant wait to host lan tournaments and be teabagging the other old farts while calling them noobs.

#17 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@Shielder7:

The gaming market is just growing in general i would imagine. Older gamers arent putting their controllers down, but every year new gamers pick them up. Consoles are also increasingly being purchased and used as media centers these days rather than dedicated gaming hardware.

Hell i plan on gaming to the grave and when im rotting in a retirement home i cant wait to host lan tournaments and be teabagging the other old farts while calling them noobs.

LOL!!!!

#18 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

take completely over ?

The wii and PS2 sold more than that. So how exactly is selling less than more popular consoles in the past taking over ?

#19 Posted by lglz1337 (3133 posts) -

xbone GTFO no chance

#20 Edited by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

I find it hilarious how Shielder turned this into Console Vs. PC, and then got completely destroyed... lol.

#21 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6146 posts) -

Great news forecasted by another analyst/market guru. How do I get one of these jobs?

#22 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

I find it hilarious how Shielder turned this into Console Vs. PC, and then got completely destroyed... lol.

I find it hilarious you're still in love with me after all this time and follow me around like a lost little puppy.

#23 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:
@darkangel115 said:

Fixed that for you.

PC gaming is way more headaches then console gaming. in exchange you get custom mods, and more power. That's why i have a gaming PC that is way more powerful then an X1 and PS4 yet barely use it. Not a fan of PC gaming. Nothing against it, but its more wasted time and less fun then console gaming to me

Touché

#24 Edited by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

I find it hilarious you're still in love with me after all this time and follow me around like a lost little puppy.

When was the last time I spoke to you? Apparently, you're more fond of me, than I of you.

#25 Edited by NFJSupreme (5152 posts) -

So the TC makes an informative post then derails his own thread by bringing up pc in the very next post . Why?

#26 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

When was the last time I spoke to you? Apparently, you're more fond of me, than I of you.

Coming from the guy that started this that's rich lol. It's ok no ones judging you you can tell everyone your true feelings for me.

#27 Edited by kingtito (4861 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Shielder7 said:
@darkangel115 said:

Fixed that for you.

PC gaming is way more headaches then console gaming. in exchange you get custom mods, and more power. That's why i have a gaming PC that is way more powerful then an X1 and PS4 yet barely use it. Not a fan of PC gaming. Nothing against it, but its more wasted time and less fun then console gaming to me

Touché

W-H-I-T......................................................................................................................................E

#28 Edited by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Coming from the guy that started this that's rich lol. It's ok no ones judging you you can tell everyone your true feelings for me.

You aren't making much sense.

#29 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

You aren't making much sense.

FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT! KISS-KISS-KISS!

#30 Posted by osirisx3 (1756 posts) -

I would lose all hope for gaming if xbox one sold that much

#31 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -

"worldwide game revenue forecast to $77 billion this year, up from $68 billion in 2013"

well, wouldn't the pc gaming market be a component of 'worldwide game revenue'?

(pc gaming market is worth 25 billys http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-28-pc-gaming-market-to-exceed-USD25-billion-this-year-dfc)

so that means pc gaming alone takes one third, is there any evidence for a console manufacturer getting a bigger piece of the worldwide gaming revenue?

#32 Posted by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -
#33 Posted by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

@darkangel115:

So you claim to have a good gaming pc heh

Good. not godlike. GTX680m (IIRC) Intel I7, 32GB ram windows 7 ultimate

#34 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@Shielder7:

Also funny how your hoping on board about what DFC is saying but when they released numbers they predicted that the pc gaming market would make in 2014 you made all kinds of excused like how they could have included kickstarter and pc hardware sales. Good job at being a delusional fanboy.

He basically owned himself.

#35 Edited by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -

@darkangel115:

A notebook GPU so I guess it is a labtop which of course with a GPU like that is not better than the one in the ps4

#36 Edited by Kingpin0114 (2525 posts) -

I could see the PS4 doing it because Sony platforms have proven they can sell well in Asia, Europe, and North America.

#37 Edited by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

@darkangel115:

A notebook GPU so I guess it is a labtop which of course with a GPU like that is not better than the one in the ps4

yes its a laptop

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M.72679.0.html

according to this i can run BF4 on high at 70FPS, TR on high at over 100 FPS,

also

Performance

The graphics performance of the GeForce GTX 680M is on average above the Radeon HD 7970M, thus making the Nvidia card the fastest mobile graphics card as of summer 2012. The GPU has enough power to run demanding games of 2012 fluently with Full HD resolution and maxed out graphical settings. Only the extremely demanding title The Witcher 2 will not run fluently in ultra settings. Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Crysis 2, for example, are playable at the highest detail settings.

PS4 GPU Compared to the 7970M

The playstation 4 on the other hand, needed to cut things back further. Remember – the PS4 has a performance figure of 1.76GFLOPS (once again, single precision). that’s a lot of difference from the original desktop version – although not a million miles away from the Radeon 7970M Laptops (amazon link). The speed of the GPU is reduced even further, from the 850MHZ to 800MHZ. Fortunately, we still keep the 32 ROPS of the mobile and desktop versions of the AMD 7970, BUT we lose another 2GCN cores (bringing the total down to 18 for the PS4 – the Xbox 720 is rumoured to have fewer still, only 12). GONE is the dedciated RAM for the GPU. The PS4 uses 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, which is unified (tied in to the CPU and GPU). This RAM runs at 176GB/s while the 7970M has 2GB of GDDR5 that’s giving 153GB/S of bandwidth. Remember though – the GPU and CPU of the Playstation 4 share this RAM, meaning despite the max bandwidth being higher, the amount that the GPU will have ‘available’ will likely be considerably lower than this.

So PS4 GPU is a little worse then the 7970m and the 680m is a little better then the 7970m hence my laptop is has a better GPU and outperforms the X1 and PS4 and i prefer my consoles

#38 Edited by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -

@darkangel115:

I know you got that information from an article like this http://www.redgamingtech.com/ps4-xbox-720-gpu-vs-amd-7970m-and-7970/

I would not trust that source a 7850HD is said to be at 1.76GFLOPS

#39 Posted by Desmonic (13417 posts) -

In just 6 years? I dunno... they'd both have to do PS2 numbers and I doubt it'll happen.. in 9-10 years though, that's a different story.

#40 Edited by super600 (30303 posts) -

I highly doubt this will happen. The PS4 will most likely fail to significantly broaden the market that buys a sony console , but it will still be successful(as successful as the 360 and PS3 and maybe slightly better) and the xbox one wil gain some momentum in the latter part of this gen, but it will only sell anywere from 50-70 million.

#41 Posted by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

@darkangel115:

I know you got that information from an article like this http://www.redgamingtech.com/ps4-xbox-720-gpu-vs-amd-7970m-and-7970/

I would not trust that source a 7850HD is said to be at 1.76GFLOPS

well check it out and what do you think? You think the PS4s GPU is better then the GTX680m? i mean it runs BF4 at 1080p and over 60FPS when the PS4 does it at 60FPS with drops and 900P plus IDK what they used to test the GTX i mean i have an I7 and 32GB system ram to go with it and 4GB RAM in the video card as well so it would only be better then they tested. Either way, i can still easily run any game the PS4 can and the X1 can on it and i prefer consoles. Plus no destiny for PC is gonna suck for PC only gamers.

#42 Edited by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -

@darkangel115:

The ps4 gpu is comparable to a 7870 HD

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

your labtop gpu has a lower benchmark than a 7870 HD

http://videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+680M&id=1461

I do not know know the exact setting the ps4 version is on to make a comparsion

#43 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@super600 said:

I highly doubt this will happen. The PS4 will most likely fail to significantly broaden the market that buys a sony console , but it will still be successful(as successful as the 360 and PS3 and maybe slightly better) and the xbox one wil gain some momentum in the latter part of this gen, but it will only sell anywere from 50-70 million.

What will the Wii U sales be?

#44 Posted by super600 (30303 posts) -

@super600 said:

What will the Wii U sales be?

Under 20 million unless a miracle happens.

#45 Edited by Speak_Low (943 posts) -

I used to think the 100 million was too high, but the X1 and PS4 already have a better head start than 360/PS3.

And when I see videos of Destiny, Titanfall and the new Evolve (and future games like The Division), I think X1/PS4 are going to easily surpass last gen, because on top of the reliable exclusives that sell tens of millions like Halo, Uncharted and franchises like COD and AC, there are lots of new franchises that focus on large MP audiences. Current Gen is already looking to attract far bigger audiences than last gen.

There will be no slow starts at launch or mini droughts - there will always games there, and the online games will more than satisfy gamers and they will not notice any (possible) barren Spring or Fall period.

Basically they have everything the last gen consoles had but so much more (and everything the Wii U wished it had).

100 million is possible. Sony and MS have laid out a better strategy and know how to sell video game consoles and games. Much better than that OTHER company that doesn't know what the hell they're doing right now and have trouble planning for the future.

#46 Posted by lhughey (4222 posts) -

I can foresee the Quad cracking a cool 100 milli with the right advertising push and price adjustments + Sony's imense 1st / 2nd party studios making a play on this.

Xbox? If the current console sales are a valid indicative of anything, I don't see it feasibly happening. MS just fvcked it up good with the initial price.

Yet, you still purchased a PS3, even though its initial price was higher than the XBone's a full 6 years ago. Just goes to show you that its not the end of the world.

#47 Posted by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

@TheFadeForever: please show me where it's as good as a 7850hd cause nothing I found says that. Plus it's customized with disabled cu, underclocked, and so reservations that don't exist in a gaming laptop card

#48 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

that's because the discrepancy between consoles and pc is closing,

consoles used to have a purpose because they had splitscreen,

but now that splitscreen is slowly fading away,

and console multiplayer games a becoming singular experiences

like pc.

there is no real difference between them,

other than paying 45-50 a year for online play,

400-500 for hardware that will never improve and no backwards compatibility,

only Nintendo and pc love their supporters

#49 Posted by betamaxx83 (351 posts) -

Haha 100 million for the Xflop? Get outta here! Microsoft doesn't have the RROD to help them out with sales this gen.

#50 Edited by Sweenix (5397 posts) -

Xbox one won't even reach 50 million.