Playstation 3: Most Pre-Ordered Console Yet

This topic is locked from further discussion.

InfamousC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 InfamousC
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts

Well known online retailer 'Play' has joined the likes of Amazon and Woolworths by declaring there is an exceptionally high demand for the PS3 at their store. Play is taking six times more pre-orders than it received for PlayStation 3 than Xbox 360 - and 15 times more than the Nintendo Wii. Even with the only option being a £525 bundle, seems that UK gamers are more than prepared to pay for Sony's next generation system.

That's according to head of games Gian Luzio, who told GamesIndustry.biz that PS3 is "the most pre-ordered console yet" for Play. The retailer is offering a GBP 524.99 bundle which includes first-party titles MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man and Genji.

Play also ran pre-order schemes for the Wii and Xbox 360, but some customers were left disappointed when they failed to receive their consoles on day one.

"We underestimated the demand and we were very disappointed that we could not fulfil all pre-orders due to stock shortages," admitted Luzio.

However, Play has pledged to deliver all pre-ordered PS3 units on launch day, with Luzio stating, "We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that customers will only be able to pre-order the system up until Play's allocation has been reached.

It's not just Play which is seeing healthy pre-orders for PS3, according to Sony. A spokesperson told GI.biz, "With an unprecedented day one shipment of 1 million machines into Europe and a software catalogue of over 30 titles available at launch, retailer feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22810

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
Its because they waited to launch it in europe so they have more stock built up. Do you think that the Wii or 360' didnt sell almost every console out there on launch day?
truesKill87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 truesKill87
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts
I thought the Delay in Europe was suppose to hurt Sony ?
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Well known online retailer 'Play' has joined the likes of Amazon and Woolworths by declaring there is an exceptionally high demand for the PS3 at their store. Play is taking six times more pre-orders than it received for PlayStation 3 than Xbox 360 - and 15 times more than the Nintendo Wii. Even with the only option being a £525 bundle, seems that UK gamers are more than prepared to pay for Sony's next generation system.

That's according to head of games Gian Luzio, who told GamesIndustry.biz that PS3 is "the most pre-ordered console yet" for Play. The retailer is offering a GBP 524.99 bundle which includes first-party titles MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man and Genji.

Play also ran pre-order schemes for the Wii and Xbox 360, but some customers were left disappointed when they failed to receive their consoles on day one.

"We underestimated the demand and we were very disappointed that we could not fulfil all pre-orders due to stock shortages," admitted Luzio.

However, Play has pledged to deliver all pre-ordered PS3 units on launch day, with Luzio stating, "We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that customers will only be able to pre-order the system up until Play's allocation has been reached.

It's not just Play which is seeing healthy pre-orders for PS3, according to Sony. A spokesperson told GI.biz, "With an unprecedented day one shipment of 1 million machines into Europe and a software catalogue of over 30 titles available at launch, retailer feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

InfamousC
Now the problem will be supplying enough machines for launch day demmand.
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts
They are taking more pre-orders because they have more stock. One million consoles on day one? That's pretty impressive stock, I've got to say.
Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts
europe is full of sony dumba*****
Thrice_III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Thrice_III
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts
They are taking more pre-orders because they have more stock. One million consoles on day one? That's pretty impressive stock, I've got to say.Newsboy
Ya, have to hand it to Sony. This Europe launch looks like it will go really well. 1 million consoles sold on day 1, with worthwhile games more than the NA/Japan launch.
Bam_Butch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Bam_Butch
Member since 2006 • 558 Posts

Kaosed

Are you crying right now?

bexarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bexarath
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts
Link for an alternative take on the story.

Still available from Play.com even now. Link

*edit:
And Amazon
And Game
And Gamestation
And Argos
And Woolworths

(HMV and Virgin are yet to start their pre orders)
cakeorrdeath
Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rip870
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

Kaosed

And that i have to hear from a guy that comes from a country that have maked George bush president  two times.:lol:

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts
[QUOTE="InfamousC"]

Marka1700

Now the problem will be supplying enough machines for launch day demmand.

They are supplying US and JP very well. EU will follow

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

They are taking more pre-orders because they have more stock. One million consoles on day one? That's pretty impressive stock, I've got to say.Newsboy

Umm no. People aren't Buying PS3 because Sony is making alot of Them.

They want them thats why they had ordered them. EU is pretty much a dead lock Sony region

the-destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the-destroyer
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
amazon.co.uk have had the ps3 up for preorder for 2 days and you can still order 1 when the wii sold out in under 10 minutes
Vitalife2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vitalife2
Member since 2006 • 212 Posts

amazon.co.uk have had the ps3 up for preorder for 2 days and you can still order 1 when the wii sold out in under 10 minutesthe-destroyer

No, the PS3 was available for around 4-5 hours, they had a lot more stock than they did for Wii.

bexarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bexarath
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts
amazon.co.uk have had the ps3 up for preorder for 2 days and you can still order 1 when the wii sold out in under 10 minutesthe-destroyer
As do every other store, as stated in the quote from cakeorrdeath that I posted earlier (honestly, does no one read posts any more?).
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
Grand master spin. Spinning it like no other.
the-destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the-destroyer

[QUOTE="the-destroyer"]amazon.co.uk have had the ps3 up for preorder for 2 days and you can still order 1 when the wii sold out in under 10 minutesVitalife2

No, the PS3 was available for around 4-5 hours, they had a lot more stock than they did for Wii.

you can still order a ps3 now. i ordered mine yesterday

d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 d_black
Member since 2004 • 1538 Posts

As someone who lives in the UK, I'm disappointed but not surprised to here this. What sucks most is that this sends a message to Sony, "Treat us like garbage, overprice your product, tell us we need to work overtime for the "best" product" and people will buy into it. This country may (on a ratio) have more idiots than America.

I have a friend who works in GAME, we laughed behind a guys back the other day as he signed up for a PS3 pre-order. The man was, you guessed it, clueless. One of the those "the PS3 is 50 times more powerful than Xbox 360" type of idiots. Sad, really. If people can't look into simple specs then how do they expect to succeed at life. Everyone is waiting to be told what is best and whoever "advertises" their version of the truth best, wins.

The "better" console has nothing to do with specs or fanboys. Advertising wins the console wars and Sony sure as Hell knows how to do that. System Wars could be a graveyard and sales wouldn't look any different, this place makes no difference to anything. Whats the point anymore.

/pissed off rant over.

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shungokustasu

As someone who lives in the UK, I'm disappointed but not surprised to here this. What sucks most is that this sends a message to Sony, "Treat us like garbage, overprice your product, tell us we need to work overtime for the "best" product" and people will buy into it. This country may (on a ratio) have more idiots than America.

I have a friend who works in GAME, we laughed behind a guys back the other day as he signed up for a PS3 pre-order. The man was, you guessed it, clueless. One of the those "the PS3 is 50 times more powerful than Xbox 360" type of idiots. Sad, really. If people can't look into simple specs then how do they expect to succeed at life. Everyone is waiting to be told what is best and whoever "advertises" their version of the truth best, wins.

The "better" console has nothing to do with specs or fanboys. Advertising wins the console wars and Sony sure as Hell knows how to do that. System Wars could be a graveyard and sales wouldn't look any different, this place makes no difference to anything. Whats the point anymore.

/pissed off rant over.

d_black
How does knowing specs makes you succeed at life?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
I never heard of Play. Yet it said to be up there with Amazon. I think not.
the-destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the-destroyer
i think i read somewhere that play.com is the biggest online game shop in the Uk
d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 d_black
Member since 2004 • 1538 Posts
[QUOTE="d_black"]

/pissed off rant over.

shungokustasu

How does knowing specs makes you succeed at life?

You missed the point. If someone can't spot the difference with something this simple, how can people be expected to get the best mortgage, find the best place the live, buy the best car for what you can afford, anticipate how much it would cost to entend your family - real life stuff.

If someone can't add 1 + 1 then they can't add 2 + 2. This documents people stupidity. People are happy to be told what is best insead of finding out for themseleves.

Anyway, my lunch is over and I'm going back to work now. I made my point and I couldn't care less if no-one agrees. Just run out and pre-order a PS3 cause everyone else is doing it. Its the best! - ...or didn't you know?

the-destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the-destroyer
also you have been able to pre order a ps3 from play since october.
martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
I see civil unrest soon, more pre orders = more dissapointed Sonyheads
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
I never heard of Play. Yet it said to be up there with Amazon. I think not.Truth_Hurts_U

It is in the UK.
RocKtheCasbaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 RocKtheCasbaH
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts

Yes, PS3 is taking more pre-orders but it's not exactly a level playing field is it?

1. They are promising to full-fill their pre-orders so people actually have a reason to sign up. For 360 owners they had more chance trying their luck on the day of launch if they weren't amongst the first pre-orders.

2. 360 pre-orders opened 6 months prior, PS3 is 6 weeks prior. Putting the pre-orders over a much shorter period will make them seem higher artificially.

3. The PS3 has a massive loyal following who can't wait to be early adopters and have the cash waiting. Most of them will be un-informed and just blindly want the Playstation brand. Maybe it will go the same way as it did in Japan and the States once the pre-order fever is over. It's quite likely IMO - that price is a serious put-off, especially for casuals.

4. The 360 had a slow start but snowballed. People doubted it at launch but it proved itself both in performance and games line-up snagging quite a few of the PS3's exclusives.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
UK currency is stronger then the US or Japans so a Playstation 3 is going to be cheaper for them.  Say UK is .85 to $1 US dollar.  .85 x $600 = $510.  Funny thing is, isn't it $525 bucks?  So I was close to the foreign currency rate difference.  For some of you to clear that up if $1 US = .85 Euro's or what ever they are using.  Then it takes .85 Euro's to purchase one US dollar.  Which means the Euro is stronger since it can purchase more.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Truth_Hurts_U

PS3 was said to be ready for launch in spring of 2006... Don't you think that they started taking per-orders way back then? Now it's going to be spring 2007 when it's released.

I would hope they got more pre-orders since it's almost a year.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

InfamousC
PS3: The scalpers choice for reselling on ebay
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shungokustasu

PS3 was said to be ready for launch in spring of 2006... Don't you think that they started taking per-orders way back then? Now it's going to be spring 2007 when it's released.

I would hope they got more pre-orders since it's almost a year.

Truth_Hurts_U
True, but how is that relevant?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Truth_Hurts_U

True, but how is that relevant?shungokustasu

More people get money. More people get itchy and don't wanna wait any more. More people pre-order over a larger time frame.

I'm sure if 360 was delayed for a year, they would have a bajillion pre-orders too.

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shungokustasu

[QUOTE="shungokustasu"] True, but how is that relevant?Truth_Hurts_U

More people get money. More people get itchy and don't wanna wait any more. More people pre-order over a larger time frame.

I'm sure if 360 was delayed for a year, they would have a bajillion pre-orders too.

So what you saying is the record breaking pre-orders in Europe is nothing to brag about?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Truth_Hurts_U

So what you saying is the record breaking pre-orders in Europe is nothing to brag about?shungokustasu

Play isn't all of Europe. :P

No it isn't something to brag about. If they did it in 4 months then I would say yeah. Cheer all you want... I don't care.

RocKtheCasbaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 RocKtheCasbaH
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts
[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

[QUOTE="shungokustasu"] True, but how is that relevant?shungokustasu

So what you saying is the record breaking pre-orders in Europe is nothing to brag about?

Or course it is but you can't expect lems to agree with you. That's not how system wars works.

Now back on subject, the PS3 is actually benefitting from the success of the 360. Microsoft blazed the trail for next-gen consoles to follow and now Sony are reaping the rewards.

Microsoft should charge them royalties.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
PS3 will take over both the wii and 360 combined this year in the UK,god why must i live in a cow country!

I'm not interested in the ps3 this year as nothing is coming out thats worth the price of the ps3 and i don't care for blu-ray...yet,however 2008 is going to be an explosive year for the ps3,hopefully the price wil be lower then.
jukieuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 jukieuk
Member since 2006 • 940 Posts
This is not surprising, all the ps2 loyals were always going to buy the next once, if the wii can sell out on the pre orders so can the ps3 but the ps3 problem is will it keep selling out, will it become a family console, no chane this is where the wii comes in, more fun and cheaper.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shungokustasu
This is not surprising, all the ps2 loyals were always going to buy the next once, if the wii can sell out on the pre orders so can the ps3 but the ps3 problem is will it keep selling out, will it become a family console, no chane this is where the wii comes in, more fun and cheaper.jukieuk
The goal is not to sale out. The goal is to satisfy demand. Not selling out is not a problem. Having low demand is. As you can see, that's not the case.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
The PS3 is in ample supply now. Sony will be able to supply more to Europe than Nintendo & Microsoft could when they launched their consoles. Therefore, retailers will be able to accept more pre-orders. This is not difficult to understand.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shungokustasu
The PS3 is in ample supply now. Sony will be able to supply more to Europe than Nintendo & Microsoft could when they launched their consoles. Therefore, retailers will be able to accept more pre-orders. This is not difficult to understand.
thinicer
How about the fact they are having those abundant numbers of pre-orders?
2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
that's because you've been able to preorder it here for over a year.
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Pale
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
So what, were there 15 times less Wii consoles available at the European launch? Or...
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
looks lik sony might have europe
Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Most of that is Euro Ebayer looking to make a buck to bad they are in for a rude awakening
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts
Wasn't it the most preordered here? and what happened afterthe smoke cleared?
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ps3-nikita
Member since 2005 • 2945 Posts
There are more pre-orders, because of what happened with the 360. The long wait between launch and how long you were able to just walk into the shops at launch. Look at what happened in America, no amount of pre-orders and i ou notes could stopped from becoming shelf fillers.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
[QUOTE="thinicer"]The PS3 is in ample supply now. Sony will be able to supply more to Europe than Nintendo & Microsoft could when they launched their consoles. Therefore, retailers will be able to accept more pre-orders. This is not difficult to understand.
shungokustasu
How about the fact they are having those abundant numbers of pre-orders?

The number of pre-orders made available by retailers are directly correlated to what the stock of the console will be at launch. If an online retailer is going to get 1000 PS3s at launch then they will make available 1000 pre-orders. If they are only getting 100 at launch, then only 100 preorders will be available.

Since Europe is going to see a far more ample supply of PS3s at their launch than than Japan or North America saw, you will see far more pre-orders in that region. That is why PS3 pre-orders are 16 times larger, because the supply is far more. The number of pre-orders is more indicative of supply than demand.