PlayStation 2 vs Gamecube vs Xbox 360

• 126 results
Posted by charizard1605 (56888 posts) 2 months, 19 days ago

Poll: PlayStation 2 vs Gamecube vs Xbox 360 (183 votes)

PlayStation 2 52%
Gamecube 28%
Xbox 360 20%

Alright, so you guys voted, and now we've come to this.

I asked you all- what is the greatest Nintendo console of all time? And you guys answered with Gamecube (although only just).

I asked you what the greatest PlayStation console of all time is. And you guys said it's the PS2, and though it was a contested victory, it was a convincing one.

Finally I asked you what your favorite Xbox is, and in a resounding majority, you guys voted for the Xbox 360 as the best Xbox console ever.

Now that we have the winners from each of the initial polls here with us, it's time to have them face off and see who really wins.

How would you, System Wars, rank these systems, and why?

And here's my ranking for them:

1. Gamecube
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Xbox 360

Ultimately, I just want to point out, I fully believe the PS2 is the greatest home console of all time, bar none. I believe that, and I understand that. Objectively, that is immutable fact and nothing will change it. However, when it comes down to it, these are subjective rankings. And remember, I am not asking you what the greatest console ever is- I am asking you what your favorite console is, and that is determined entirely by my enjoyment of these systems, as well as what they may each have meant to me.

Have fun voting, System Wars. Let's see what you all think.

#101 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7138 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Why Gamecube is on list when all gamecube games are multiplatform games on PC?

Da fck?

You know that everyone can play gamecube game on PC right? Stop ignoring FACTS!!!

ps2 game big gaming boost and Xbox 360 was the console that changed online gaming forever. Thanks to Xbox 360 you have online games on consoles. If we had no Xbox 360 then had no online store, no stats, no rank system, no dlc, no friend list, no updates and stuff like that.

Sounds like a gaming utopia. Too bad Microsoft had to come along and ruin it for everyone.

#102 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7138 posts) -

The PS2 was a weird console to me because it had way more games than its competition. Just a huge library of great games. But at the end of the day, it didn't have any of the very best games. No Ninja Gaiden, no Halo, no Wind Waker, no Metroid Prime, no KOTOR, no Pikmin, no Fire Emblem. I voted Gamecube. The 360 is a very distant third.

#103 Edited by vashkey (33722 posts) -

Personally my favorite of those is 360, but objectively the PS2 and 360 are close. They both had huge libraries of incredible games. The Gamecube isn't even close. It was arguably the worst system of it's time and arguably Nintendo worst system. I can't believe people are even talking about it's third party support when some of it's greatest third party games ended being ported to PS2 like Viewtiful Joe and RE4 and sold better on it.

#104 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@vashkey said:

Personally my favorite of those is 360, but objectively the PS2 and 360 are close. They both had huge libraries of incredible games. The Gamecube isn't even close. It was arguably the worst system of it's time and arguably Nintendo worst system. I can't believe people are even talking about it's third party support when some of it's greatest third party games ended being ported to PS2 like Viewtiful Joe and RE4 and sold better on it.

Viewtiful Joe didn't sell better on PS2. Actually, it sold even worse than the Cube version.

#105 Posted by Blabadon (26150 posts) -

@vashkey said:

I think this post pretty much summarizes my thoughts as well.

Out of these three I've only owned a GameCube as my main system (only owned a 360 for three-ish years) and I didn't enjoy it too much. Granted I didn't game much then but it wasn't a compelling system. The PS2 has some of my favorite games ever (God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.) but a lot of them I played by the way of HD remasters, so...

Then there's the 360 which I fucking loved but it always took a backseat to my PS3 since they were quite similar and I bought a PS3 earlier.

Decision goes between the PS2 and 360.

#106 Posted by vashkey (33722 posts) -

@vashkey said:

Viewtiful Joe didn't sell better on PS2. Actually, it sold even worse than the Cube version.

Eh, doesn't really change my point. The Gamecube's 3rd party was weak and a significant portion of it's best 3rd party games that it's cited for are on PS2.

#107 Edited by lostrib (35813 posts) -

Out of those, I only ever owned a Gamecube. I think on paper the PS2 is pretty much the greatest console of all time. But I did enjoy many of the gamecube games back in the day

#108 Edited by nicolas_aoi (12 posts) -

ps2 is my favorite sistem ever. gamecube is a great sistem, have fantastic games as mario sunshine, zelda twighlight princess and both residente evil remake and zero (re 4 too, but this game relased on ps2 too)

#109 Posted by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

The PS2 was a weird console to me because it had way more games than its competition. Just a huge library of great games. But at the end of the day, it didn't have any of the very best games. No Ninja Gaiden, no Halo, no Wind Waker, no Metroid Prime, no KOTOR, no Pikmin, no Fire Emblem. I voted Gamecube. The 360 is a very distant third.

L O L.

#110 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7138 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

L O L.

Well, it didn't.

#111 Edited by intotheminx (598 posts) -

I missed out on PS2. The only games I played were GTA and FFX lol. I became obsessed with music during that time and spent every minute on a instrument. I need to look into a PS2 emulator and play the best titles for it. Suggestions?

#112 Edited by SambaLele (5342 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

L O L.

Well, it didn't.

Halo - Xbox, PC. Wind Waker - Gamecube. Metroid Prime - Gamecube. KOTOR - Xbox, PC. Etc. You had to bring multiple platforms together to trump a single one.

Why only the PS2 has to compete against everything else put together? How would each of those other systems fair alone against the whole remaining market? Of course your opinion has to be respected, but that criteria right there is unfair.

#113 Posted by Flubbbs (3057 posts) -

PS2 and its not even close.. probally the best library of games ever

#114 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7138 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

L O L.

Well, it didn't.

Halo - Xbox, PC. Wind Waker - Gamecube. Metroid Prime - Gamecube. KOTOR - Xbox, PC. Etc. You had to bring multiple platforms together to trump a single one.

Why only the PS2 has to compete against everything else put together? How would each of those other systems fair alone against the whole remaining market? Of course your opinion has to be respected, but that criteria right there is unfair.

I was just listing my favorite games from that gen that were on consoles. There are a few PC exclusives that I could have listed as well, but I thought we were just talking consoles in this thread so I left the PC out entirely. But yeah, if you only count exclusives, the Xbox really just had Ninja Gaiden that stood out as one of the best games of that gen. It helps that Ninja Gaiden was the very best game of that gen, though.

#115 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7138 posts) -

I missed out on PS2. The only games I played were GTA and FFX lol. I became obsessed with music during that time and spent every minute on a instrument. I need to look into a PS2 emulator and play the best titles for it. Suggestions?

If you have a PS3, you can play most of them in HD just by getting the rereleases. I would suggest the God of War games, the Prince of Persia trilogy, the Devil May Cry collection, Resident Evil 4, Persona 4, and Shadow of the Colossus.

#116 Posted by SambaLele (5342 posts) -

@SambaLele said:

I was just listing my favorite games from that gen that were on consoles. There are a few PC exclusives that I could have listed as well, but I thought we were just talking consoles in this thread so I left the PC out entirely. But yeah, if you only count exclusives, the Xbox really just had Ninja Gaiden that stood out as one of the best games of that gen. It helps that Ninja Gaiden was the very best game of that gen, though.

I see. It's not one system vs. all others, it's one system being judged by what it doesn't have vs. others judged on games they do have. Well, personal favorites will always take the cake right? And yeah, Ninja Gaiden was one hell of a game indeed.

#117 Edited by santoron (7717 posts) -

Gamecube won favorite NES system? Well at least it wasn't the N64...

Anyhow this just made my choice easy. PS2 by a country mile.

Edit: Order, in case it matters is PS2>>>>>>360>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gamecube

#118 Posted by mooooo99 (1247 posts) -

i had more fun with my gamecube, but i have to say the ps2 had the better library.. i missed a lot of classics on the ps2 as i was too involved with mario kart double dash..

#119 Posted by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

L O L.

Well, it didn't.

Just so you know, every sane person disagrees with you.

#120 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, it didn't.

*facepalm*

That's all that can be said here.

#121 Posted by Heirren (16844 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, it didn't.

*facepalm*

I agree with you and made a comment similar to that. Gamecube had the best games of that gen, Xbox had the excitement of Live and a few must haves like Halo 2, and the PS2 had a TRUCKLOAD of games. The amount of games argument is silly because anytime a console is that popular there's tons of garbage. Not all of the ps2 library was garbage--it was the most mediocre console of all time I think. I'd rank the ps2 after the gamecube but before xbox. Looking back at xbox it has the least appealing library.

#122 Posted by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, it didn't.

*facepalm*

I agree with you and made a comment similar to that. Gamecube had the best games of that gen, Xbox had the excitement of Live and a few must haves like Halo 2, and the PS2 had a TRUCKLOAD of games. The amount of games argument is silly because anytime a console is that popular there's tons of garbage. Not all of the ps2 library was garbage--it was the most mediocre console of all time I think. I'd rank the ps2 after the gamecube but before xbox. Looking back at xbox it has the least appealing library.

Most mediocre console of all time? LMFAO

PS2's exclusive library KILLS gamecube and Xbox's library, this is a pure fact. Gamecube and Xbox were failures in sales and had mediocre libraries at best.

#123 Posted by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, it didn't.

*facepalm*

Like I said, sane people.

#124 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7138 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, it didn't.

*facepalm*

Most mediocre console of all time? LMFAO

PS2's exclusive library KILLS gamecube and Xbox's library, this is a pure fact. Gamecube and Xbox were failures in sales and had mediocre libraries at best.

The PS2 had the most games. It even had the most good games. It just didn't have the best games.

#125 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Like I said, sane people.

Or those with a *gasp* DIFFERENT OPINION!

#126 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@Heirren said:

While I like my PS2, I still ended up preferring the GameCube as well (bring on the "Nintendo fanboy" comments). Heck, one of my biggest problems with the PS2 was that it STUCK with the freaking multitap. It was fine when the PSOne had it being that it was released before the 64 released, but the PS2 had no excuse after the N64 made it catch on (GameCube, Dreamcast, and XBOX all followed with it that gen). If they could get online hardware built in later PS2 models, why couldn't they add more freaking controller ports?

There was a reason the PS2 wasn't the ideal local multiplayer console, unlike the GameCube and XBOX.

#127 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2969 posts) -

At first I thought "of course PS2, this is a silly question." But the more I thought about it, I realized that I may prefer the Gamecube exclusives over the PS2's. But in the end I have to stick with the PS2 because of the massive amount of exclusives and overall library.

1 PS2
2 Gamecube
3 Xbox 360

#128 Edited by KingsofQueens (2214 posts) -

According to this asinine list, Xbox 360 > Gamecube >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2

Going by their respective generation: OG XBOX > GC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2

Only in the last few years, have I started appreciating the "mighty" overrated PS2. Minus of course the boring JRPGs, it's a decent console.