Playground Games = Naughty Dog of racing games

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

I was thinking of creating this topic for a very long time. Playground Games deserve immense praise that I think they still aren't getting. They really pack a formidable talent in their ranks, comprising industry veterans of Codemasters who are responsible for legendary PS1 games (which I loved to death and loved PS brand back then like cows love now PS4) such as TOCA and Colin McRae Rally (as well DiRT), as well as ex-Bizarre Creations developers (of PGR fame).

I'd even go as far as to say that Forza Horizon is Arkham City of racing games. It has its flaws, sure, but I think they'll all be but gone in the next installment.

Everything related to exploration is so meaningful in this game because you are either rewarded for everything you do or you can compete against everything you do vs the whole community of human players:

You have discovering of new roads (which count towards achievements), you have speed traps (measuring your top speed in a singular points) which count against whole community as well as speed zones which measure your average top speed in a selected zone. You can challenge other AI racers to a one-on-one race in any place on the open-world map, you must demolish special discount signs in order to get reduced prices for car parts. You have barn finds which are old derelict cars abandoned in barns that you have to find and once you find them they are renovated by your sidekick and added to your garage. Moreover, you also have Outposts which are locations to which you can fast travel for a price once you discover them but you can fast travel there for free once you complete three types of challenges each one of them offers: one of them is about going to a particular place of interest not damaging the car in the process and taking a photo with a required landmark in the background, second one is about reaching a certain top speed by the speed trap, usually in a car that can kill you if you push the gas pedal too much, and the last kind of task is to reach certain amount of skill points for drifting, destroying road signs and other road skills, such as J-Turns, burnouts, etc.

Speaking of which, you also have sponsor challenges which give you additional cash for performing selected stunts given number of times, as well as your reputation increases when you perform road tricks and stunts, you begin at the 200th place which also has its separate achievements.

Not to mention the races themselves which sometimes require you to use alternative paths or pit you against an airplane, helicopter or an air-balloon. Alas, admittedly there could've been even greater variety in races, but that is going to change with Horizon 2.

As you can see every single detail is meticulously tailored towards community-oriented gaming. Forza Horizon looks so stunning and eye-pleasing that even my wife - who absolutely hates gaming and is a non-gamer - a couple of times had a desire to take my Bugatti EB110 for a spin and took over my Xbox. You cannot get a better recommendation than this.

Presentation is slick, every single aspect is polished to the highest level, for example soundtracks which feel really special and they have a hand-picked vibe to them. It was a gigantic enterprise all around. The atmosphere is really amiable and with such a multitude of tasks, challenges and events, it's a joy to play. What's more, it is really immensely fun to free roam without even completing any kind of an objective.

Playground Games are, in my opinion, one of the best racing game studios at the moment.

Horizon 2 is going to add dynamic weather, 1080p, perk system, true free-roaming with virtually no barriers (Test Drive Unlimited 2), with seamless, instant multiplayer with 0 waiting and no traditional lobbies, is going to feature town-based races a'la PGR. The only thing that's preventing it from becoming an ultimate racing game is the inclusion of police.

#2 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

Have you play need for speed, midnight club, burnout?

#3 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (6009 posts) -

Horizon 1 on the 360 felt lifeless to me... I only enjoyed doing the track races, everything else just felt like a chore. Most Wanted 2012 did the whole open world racer thing much better.

#4 Posted by bobbetybob (19287 posts) -

30 year old studio with tons of amazing games Vs relatively new studio with 1 game. Yeah, what a great comparison.

The Arkham City of racing games too, what the fuck does that even mean?

#5 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16619 posts) -

They've made one game

Seriously, Naughty Dog has made multiple good franchises. Extra emphasis on 'multiple' and 'franchises'.

This comparison is rather weak imo.

#6 Posted by lostrib (37586 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

They've made one game

Seriously, Naughty Dog has made multiple good franchises. Extra emphasis on 'multiple' and 'franchises'.

#7 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

Truth is I wanted to name this thread "FH is arkham city of racing games" - Arkham City was too a game which I felt every single event that was related to the exploration of sandbox world was meaningful and enjoyable. Anyway, haven't you heard the phrase "You 're only as good

as your last picture" ? I think it's perfectly applicable to video game industry as well. Like, what if Souls games hadn't happened, would From Software be cherished that much? Playground Games aren't noobs and it might be their first major game but collectively and cumulatively they did a lot more.

Stop being so humorless and conservative and refusing to have fun when making observations.

#8 Edited by blackace (20869 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: I agree. I loved Forza Horizon. I was able to get it at a discounted price digitally. Play it for a couple months, but I haven't played it in awhile. I think I'll give it another shot though. The game was very well done and now Horizon 2 is going to be so much better.

#9 Edited by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

#10 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Horizon was fun for sure, but for me it was simply a short lived distraction I played during the off year for Motorsport and something I popped in from time to time when I wasn't in the mood for serious racing but still want to drive a bit. Horizon 2 will undoubtedly be good, but it pales in comparison to the main Forza titles.

#11 Posted by clyde46 (46573 posts) -

I miss the TOCA games of old, and the good Colin McRae games before they went all American.

#12 Posted by Krelian-co (11159 posts) -

Biggest pile of garbage i've seen for a while, you should lay down creating threads since they fail so bad.

#13 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

Horizon's two main flaws ultimately were limited variety of races and barriers imposed in the world, even if it still offered huge open spaces. The former attributed to the fact that the main festival quest stopped being fun after acquiring purple band and started being a grindable chore. Up to that point everything was most excellent. And as far as barriers are concerned, that is going to change in Horizon 2.

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (40900 posts) -

No. Just no.

#15 Posted by clyde46 (46573 posts) -

#16 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8135 posts) -

I agree. Playground Games are the kings of racing games. Greatest thing to happen to gaming since Naughty Gods.

#17 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

You sure like to make some dumbass observations/comparisons. Naughty Dog has an insane amount of Game of the Year Accolades between Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, and The Last of Us and yet here you are comparing them to a relatively new studio with one game under their belt.

I'm not trying to down play Forza Horizon, it's a great game for sure, but you're smoking some shit over there for sure...

#18 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13630 posts) -

If you think Forza Horizon so good then Why did you compare Plaground to Naughty Dog..... I'm gettin mixed messages.

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13630 posts) -

Also reward orientated design is the Worst.... I don't want to be rewarded for everything I do, I want everything I do to be fun.

#20 Edited by Snugenz (11890 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Lol, better engine sounds than GT6.

#21 Edited by blamix99 (2047 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Horizon's two main flaws ultimately were limited variety of races and barriers imposed in the world, even if it still offered huge open spaces. The former attributed to the fact that the main festival quest stopped being fun after acquiring purple band and started being a grindable chore. Up to that point everything was most excellent. And as far as barriers are concerned, that is going to change in Horizon 2.

#22 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5569 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

They've made one game

^^This. But Playground are fantastic developers.

#23 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5569 posts) -
@inb4uall said:

You little rascal you!!

#24 Posted by blackace (20869 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

They've made one game

Yeah, but comparing them to Naughty Dog is way, way off. Even I'd have to agree with Cows in that case. I almost never agree with anything cows have to say. ND is defnitely >>>>>>>>>>>>> Playground Games. That doesn't mean Horizon 2 won't be a great game though.

#25 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5569 posts) -
@blackace said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

They've made one game

Yeah, but comparing them to Naughty Dog is way, way off. Even I'd have to agree with Cows in that case. I almost never agree with anything cows have to say. ND is defnitely >>>>>>>>>>>>> Playground Games. That doesn't mean Horizon 2 won't be a great game though.

Which is what i basically said?