Platforms you owned and the games that made you buy them.

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Yeah I know it's not exactly SW material, but maybe it can stay open and get some discussion going.

I'm sure enough bickering will arise to make it SW worthy anyways.

• Atari 2600 - twas my older bros and he bought it for Combat.
  • NES - It took my fam a little while to afford one, so there were already tons of games that I wanted. But I'd be a liar if I didn't say Super Mario Bros. was the main appeal.
  • Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog + Mortal Kombat with blood.
  • Super Nintendo - I played Phantasy Star IV on the Genesis and wanted more games like that. My friend introduced me to Final Fantasy and I bought a SNES the very next week with Final Fantasy IV.
  • Playstation - Final Fantasy VII + more importantly just knowing that's where Square was going to be.
  • N64 - Ocarina of Time
  • Dreamcast - was given to me two weeks before it released... don't ask. I would have bought it for Soul Calibur anyways.
  • PS2 - FFX and MGS2... and again, knowing that this is where Square would be was a big deal still.
  • Xbox - Ninja Gaiden + (to a lesser extent) Fable.
  • Gamecube - Metroid Prime.
  • 360 - For the first time ever, nothing in particular, I just had money to waste at this point in time.
  • PS3 - MGS4 + FFXIII.... funny how that turned out.
  • Wii - Metroid Prime 3
  • PS4 - Ground Zeroes best version... yeah lol
  • WiiU - Bought it with NSMBU, but really just knowing I'd need one eventually for the 1st party line-up.

I'm too lazy to list my handhelds, but feel free to in your own lists.

As for PC, I never owned or built one specifically for a game.

Also not buying Xbone because it's trash, there you are for SW worthy.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

SNES: My first console that I got with DKC. I just wanted a video game console, so my dad bought me a snes.
N64: My boy was a PS1 child, I was a n64 person. The game: What made me buy it? WCW/NWO Revenge
Gamecube: Super Smash Bros. Melee was my deciding factor
Playstation 2: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Xbox: Halo 2
Wii: Twilight Princess (right?)
PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4 (ugh)
360: Halo 3
DS: Pokemon Diamond with friends, it was weird
PS4: Because I wanted one
Xbox1: Because I wanted one
WiiU: Bayonetta 2

With the exception of the Xbox and probably going to be the WiiU, none of the games I wanted the system for are the games I would say were the best that system had to offer. In fact a lot of them might not make a top 5.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

PS1- RE1

Dreamcast- RE CV

Neo Geo- forgot the name of the game but it was that card game with SNK characters

Gamecube- RE1 remake

DS- Advance Wars Days of Ruin

PS2- Just bought one cause I loved the PS1, first game though was The Bouncer

Wii- Twlp (sold my GC way before the Wii came out)

PSP- FF Crisis Core

Xbox- Kotor

PS3- Uncharted

Xbox 360- Dead Rising 1

3DS- Fire Emblem Awakening

PS Vita- Persona 4 Golden

PS4- bought one cause I have no desire to own/buy a Xbone

Once Zelda Wii U/Star Fox comes out is when I'll buy a Wii U

Forgot to add the Vita lol XD

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Oh man, I'm not going to list all of them, but I'll list the ones I remember:

• Gameboy Color: Pokemon (kept it for Pokemon)
  • Gameboy Advance: Pokemon (kept it for Pokemon, but ultimately, appreciated the SNES remakes on it a whole lot more)
  • Gamecube: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (I proceeded to keep the Gamecube for, well, almost all of its games)
  • PlayStation 2: No one deciding factor, really. I wanted to be able to play Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, and Metal Gear Solid, so I bought it. I am so glad I did.
  • Nintendo DS: Pokemon (once again, I proceeded to enjoy a full range of non Pokemon games on the system)
  • PSP: Crisis Core (though Crisis Core doesn't even figure into my top five for the system)
  • Xbox 360: Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Halo... I bought it for a lot of reasons, sort of similar to the PS2, really. As with the PS2, I am glad I got it.
  • Wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii (yeah... you can imagine how I felt)
  • PlayStation 3: God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII (major disappointments; thankfully, almost everything else on the PS3 is so awesome, it made up for it)
  • Nintendo 3DS: Mario Kart 7 and the inevitable Pokemon game (once again, neither of these figure in my top games list for the system)
  • PlayStation Vita: Really, I bought it cause I got it brand new for like $30, with a Memory Card and a bunch of games. I then proceeded to keep it almost exclusively for Persona 4 Golden, which is now my favorite game of all time.
  • Wii U: Mario Kart 8 (one of those rare times where the game I bought the system for actually lived up to the hype)
  • PS4: **** if I know. I bought it on good faith more than anything else, really. A month ago, I'd have said I regret buying it so early, but ever since the Persona 5 announcement, Sony has me back on board.

These aside, earlier systems like NES, SNES, N64, I think I just bought them for Mario, really. I don't actually remember why I bought them, since it was so long ago.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp said:

SNES: My first console that I got with DKC. I just wanted a video game console, so my dad bought me a snes.

Seems like a smart man.

@jg4xchamp said:

N64: My boy was a PS1 child, I was a n64 person. The game: What made me buy it? WCW/NWO Revenge

Spent wayyyy too much time on that game. For me and the bros it was the go-to multiplayer that gen, closely followed by Perfect Dark.

@jg4xchamp said:

Wii: Twilight Princess (right?)

Could have been worse lol

@jg4xchamp said:

PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4 (ugh)

I know that feel. How do you go from MGS3 to that?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

ATARI 2600 --> My parents bought it for me , my first gaming experience.

Gameboy --> Tetris and Mario

Genesis --> Sonic and Street Fighter 2

Playstation 1 --> Tekken

PC --> Counter Strike

Dreamcast --> Sonic Adventure - Resident Evil Code Veronica

Playstation 2 --> Metal Gear Solid 2 // FF10

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner

Haha, seems like we're all just buying the PS4 on good faith.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Yeah man those wrestling games were the shit, but WCW got benched for Wrestlemania 2000 and NO Mercy. Them ladder matches <3

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner

We did move over to Wrestlemania 2000 eventually and it was definitely some good times. It was short lived though, we just over did it with Revenge. That shit was a religion haha, I used to roll around with a copy of Revenge in my pocket just in case we happened across a 64 while we were out.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

PS1 - Spyro 3 / CTR
GBA - Pokémon Yellow / Silver
Xbox - Halo CE
Xbox 360 - Halo 3 / Elders Scrolls 4: Oblivion
DSi - Pokémon White
3DS XL - Pokémon X
PC - Team Fortress 2

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
  • PS Vita - Funny story, bought Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube, Disc one failed, went back to Gamestop to get me another used copy, Disc failed again. Friend kept badgering to get a Vita and Monster Hunter. Already fed up with the BS that I can't play Tales I just go "That's it I'm buying a Vita." Traded in the "broken" Tales game for store credit, bought a Vita with a 4gb card and bought Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Me and my Friend had many hunts that day. So Long story short, I bought my PS Vita just to play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
  • 3DS - Ocarina of Time 3D although I had to wait half a year to get it.
  • WiiU - The Promise of 3rd party Games and Nintendo's First Party. Got New Super Mario Bros U with ZombiU, Assassin's Creed III, Black Ops 2 and Nintendo Land for launch. Since then it's been a bit of a disappointment.
  • PS3 - Brother got one for GTA IV. I got mine because of Uncharted and Killzone.
  • 360 - Gears of War 2.
  • Wii - Came for Twilight Princess, stayed for Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy.
  • DS - Super Mario 64 DS
  • Gamecube - no specific game, I just love Nintendo. If there was one, it was Smash Bros. Melee
  • PS2 - KINGDOM HEARTS
  • Gameboy Advance - MEGAMAN ZERO
  • PS1 - Chrono Cross
  • N64 - The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
  • Sega Genesis - Sonic 2
  • Gameboy Color - Pokemon.
  • Gameboy - We just got one, No real game for it, I just remember having it and playing Donkey Kong Land 2 a bunch.
  • Super Nintendo - I was pretty much born with this console.

Super bonus PC - Pretty much just wanted to mod the heck out of Skyrim.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@LegatoSkyheart said:

PS1 - Chrono Cross

I was so disappointed with this game when it came out (was just hoping for Chrono Trigger 2 I guess), but it grew on me. I've really been wanting to play it again lately, I even snagged up a new copy on the cheap not too long ago.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Sega Saturn

I wanted a console and I liked playing Sonic on my friends Sega Mega-Drive, so my mum probably just bought it for me because it had Sonic Jam.

Sega Dreamcast

I asked to have one for Christmas 1999 and I got Sonic Adventure, Toy Commander, House of the dead and Soul Calibur.

Gameboy

I was on holiday somewhere and saw it in a shop and asked my mum to get me it. I got Super Mario Land.

Gameboy Advance

I was stuck at the airport because of a long delay while heading on holiday and my mum asked if I wanted to have one. So I got one with some type of creatures game.

Gameboy Advance SP

I was in Cyprus 2004 and saw it in the shop and mum bought me it. I was happy that it had a light but upset it had no earphone socket.

Playstation 2

I asked my mum to get me one for Xmas 2001 because the Dreamcast had died that year. I got GTA3, Crazy Taxi, Robot Wars, Rayman M and Timesplitters.

Gamecube

Dreamcast was having issues playing games and Sonic Adventure 2 + Sonic Mega Collection was on the Gamecube so she got me that for Xmas 2003.

Nintendo DS

I bought this myself. I was bored and decided to go and buy one. I got Super Mario 64 DS with it.

Nintendo DS Lite

I got this at launch because it was a massive improvement over the original DS.

Sony PSP

I saved up for this when it was released in September 2005.

Xbox 360

I saved up for this because it was the first of the new consoles and I wanted to be the first to have it out of my friends :P

Nintendo Wii

I saved up for this because it looked interesting.

Nintendo 3DS

I saved up for this because it was the next Nintendo handheld. Although I wish I never bought it at launch.

PC

Mum got me a PC with Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood and Mass destruction when I was 7. I've always been gaming on PC since then.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner

@gameofthering:

Your mum sounds awesome bro.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I can only think of 3 or 4 platforms where that was the case (in other cases, I bought them because I thought they were cool and had potential, didn't matter what games they had):

DS: Pokemon Daimond/Pearl or whatever that was.

Wii: LoZ Twilight Princess and Wii Sports (of course).

PS3: Uncharted 2

PC: Crysis and anything else with insane graphics (for the time). I guess I also liked RTSs, which aren't really a thing outside of PC.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 parkurtommo

@ConanTheStoner said:

@gameofthering:

Or somewhat rich. (rich enough to buy consoles on a whim)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner

@parkurtommo:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

That only happened for me once. My mom randomly took me out to buy a PS1 on the day FFVII came out. Then there happened to be a day 1 used copy of FFVII sitting on the store shelf. She bought that too.

I was in shock man. Like, what's the catch?

Then I realized I needed a damn memory card, but lightning wasn't about to strike 3 times for me that day. So I left my PS1 running for a week until I could afford a card to save my FFVII progress. Good timing too because I died on the next boss.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@gameofthering:

Finally finished listing everything.

She had a good enough job that allowed her to buy me stuff. I'm also an only child, so everything goes to me :P

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By parkurtommo

@gameofthering said:

@parkurtommo said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@gameofthering:

Finally finished listing everything.

She had a good enough job that allowed her to buy me stuff. I'm also an only child, so everything goes to me :P

I'm also an only child, but even so I don't think my mom would just buy something if I pointed at it. It was ALMOST like that, but it took maybe a week of convincing lol.

God, I don't even want to imagine being a gamer, with several siblings. Must be tough playing sp games.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Including microcomputers from back in the day -I think I have these in the right order i got them in too:

• Atari 2600
  • ZX Spectrum
  • Amstrad CPC
  • Commadore 64
  • Amiga 2000
  • Master System 2
  • Atari Lynx
  • Megadrive
  • SNES
  • Game Gear
  • 3DO
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Saturn
  • PSX
  • N64
  • Dreamcast
  • PS2
  • Xbox
  • XBOX 360
  • PS3

...lost interest in consoles half way through last gen.

Bought a Wii and WiiU but those where for the girlfriend and my daughter. Always had a decent PC since about 1990 and always enjoyed them.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#22 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

1st Console = Sega Master System = It was actually my older sisters I was about 6 or 7 and played it when she was out. Games like Alex Kidd in miracle world, Sonic 2 and Wonderboy I played.

2nd Console = SNES = Got it for Christmas I was about 8 or 9, was blown away by those 16 bits. At this time was still too young to buy consoles or games myself but games I loved on the system were Super Mario World, Super CastleVania 4, Donkey Kong Country 2, Evo Search For Eden, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Twinbee, Doom.

3rd Console = Sega Saturn = So im now 11 and the all the 32 bit consoles were out, I got to pick one for my christmas present. For some reason I chose the Saturn??? and was stuck with it for next 4 years until I got hold of a Ps1.

Got my Sega Saturn with Virtua Fighter, I loved fighting games when I was younger. I had lent a Genesis of a friend and loved Sonic games and was hoping for a Sonic Game on the Saturn, it didn't happen. Other games on the Saturn I loved were Resident Evil, Deep Fear, Sega Rally, Clockwork Night 2, Virtua Open Tennis, Virtua Cop(with the Gun) Nights into Dreams.

4th Console = A few years after the Saturn I got a Ps1 from a family member who no longer used it, it was chipped and came with a ton of copy games for me to play. Abes Odyssey, Final Fantasy VII, Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, PES Evolution, Parasite Eve 2, Parappa The Rappa, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo.

5th Console = Now I had my first job at 16 at McDonalds, I bought my first console and it was the Xbox. Was blown away by the original Halo and bought other games like Riddick, Fable and Doom 3. During this Generation I was in my late teens so I didnt game that much spent most the time working and partying.

6th Console = Xbox 360 - I bought this to play the new LMA Manager 2007, after giving that a blast ignored the console for a few years. Then Dug it back up and blasted through some of its best games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Lost Odyssey, Gears Of War, Forza 5.

November last year I bought a PC after realizing there was not the worth while jump in the latest console generation, always had a PC For Football Manager games but I bought a gaming rig. Was attracted to PC for Skyrim with mods and Penumbra/Amnesia games.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

PC > BioWares NeverWinter Knights and RTCW/Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

PS4 > Destiny.. lol

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I don't count Commodore 64 as I didn't technically buy it.

16-bit gen was non-existent in Poland apart from Amiga and 8-bit was very much alive anyway, so my next device was PlayStation and it was because of Resident Evil 2. Then I bought a PC not for any specific reasons but I guess Aliens vs Predator 2 was the first game I really wanted to play, then I bought 360 to play...Alone in the Dark, and I was eagerly awaiting Too Human too so you can call me weird. Of course I was well aware of its premiere exclusives like Dead Rising, Gears, PGR, Fable and whatnot. Then I retroactively bought a GameCube for REmake, Resident Evil 0, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin and others. Then Dreamcast for a variety of reasons. In the meantime I've had Nintendo DS for a multitude of reasons, especially variety and game library in general.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#25 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Woof, let's see if I can remember here...

NES: Super Mario Bros 3
GameGear: Sonic 2
Playstation: Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VII
Playstation 2: Final Fantasy X, Tony Hawk's Underground
Xbox: Halo: Combat Evolved, Fable
Gamecube: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime
PS3: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Xbox 360: Halo 3, Fable 2
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
DS: Mario Kart DS, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (ew)
PSP: Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Vita: Persona 4 Golden, Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation (ew), Uncharted: Golden Abyss
3DS: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Pokémon Y, Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda 3DS (which became A Link Between Worlds)
Wii U: The Legend of Zelda U, Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World
PS4: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, uh.. can't think of what else there was atm

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

PS3 - UC2. N64 - Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark. Xbox - Halo:CE. 360 - Hoping for a proper perfect dark sequel which never arrived... PS4 - because there's no other options this gen, the other two are a joke

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
  • SNES: It was a Xmas gift from my parents. Came with SMW, SMAS and F-Zero. Childhood was awesome.
  • PS: Can't remember for the life of me what game it was. Probably Driver but could have been many other things.
  • Gameboy: Pokemon Blue. Didn't ever buy anything else for it.
  • PS2: Gran Turismo 3 (and MGS2 to an extent, but not for about a year after getting it).
  • Xbox 360: Dead Rising
  • DS: Metroid: Fusion and Zero Mission (yes I'm aware they are GBA games)
  • PSP: DJ MAX Portable 2
  • Gamecube:
  • Wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4 and The Last Guardian (anyone who knows me knows how this turned out)
  • Everything else (SAT, DC, XBOX, N64, etc): Bought them just to have them.

I'm buying a Wii U for MK8, DKCTF, SSBU and Splatoon. I have no interest in either the Xbone or the PS4.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

NES - It was a Christmas gift from my parents. I was only about four years old, so I'm not sure I even knew what a video game was before I got this. It came with Super Mario Bros. 3 and TMNT 2.

Genesis - I won it in a school raffle. It came with Sonic the Hedgehog.

SNES - My parents bought it for me because I wanted to play Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and Turtles in Time.

PlayStation - I wanted the N64, but my parents bought me the PlayStation for Christmas instead because they had "more games" and the "games were cheaper so you can get more of them", but I didn't care about that; I just wanted to play Mario. While I ended up enjoying the PlayStation, this was probably my most disappointing Christmas ever lol. My mom still has the video tape of the priceless look of disappointment on my face when I saw that it wasn't a N64 lol.

N64 - My parents corrected their mistake for my birthday and got me the N64 that I wanted with Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64.

DreamCast - Christmas gift from my parents with Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi.

GameCube - Christmas gift from my parents with Super Monkey Ball and Super Smash Bros. Melee

Xbox - This was the first console I purchased with my own money. I bought it for Halo, Grand Theft Auto, and because I loved the controller.

PlayStation 2 - I bought it for God of War

Xbox 360 - I bought it for Perfect Dark. That game ended up being a huge disappointment, but the 360 ultimately ended up being one of my favorite consoles of all time.

Wii - I bought it for Wii Sports and Twilight Princess

PlayStation 3 - I bought it for Uncharted 2 and God of War 3

Wii U - I bought it for New Super Mario Bros. U

Xbox One - I bought it for Dead Rising 3 and Black Flag

PlayStation 4 - I bought it for The Last of Us Remastered and future exclusives like Uncharted 4 and The Order

2DS - I bought it because the 2DS hardware is not as uncomfortable as the 3DS and the system just has too many great games too ignore.

PSP - Recently bought it to use for emulators.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

NES - No particular game.

Genesis - Sonic

SNES - Super Mario World

Playstation - No particular game.

N64 - Super Mario 64

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure

Playstation 2 - Tekken Tag Tournament

Gamecube - No Particular game.

Xbox - Jet Grind Radio & Shenmue 2 (Tie)

Xbox 360 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

PS3 - No particular game. Bought for backwards compatibility model.

Wii - No particular game.

Wii U - Bayonetta 2 & Rayman Legends (When exclusive) (Tie)

PS4 - No particular game.

Xbox One - No particular game.

----------------

Handhelds:

I've never bought a handheld for a particular game.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

PS ---- because I waste so much money in the arcade playing street fighter series

PS2 ---- to continue playing resident evil and Final Fantasy series since PS1

PS4 ----- because I need to play newer games

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts
  • PC - I've always been playing on it, so no game in particular
  • Intellivision - Parents got it before I was born
  • Genesis - Sonic 1/2 - See my "Happy Birthday SEGA Genesis!" thread if you want more details
  • SEGA CD - Sonic CD, Robo Aleste
  • SEGA 32X - Knuckles' Chaotix
  • Game Gear - Nothing in particular. I just wanted a handheld, and it had color unlike the Game Boy
  • Saturn - Nothing. My dad came home with it from a business trip as a surprise for me
  • Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure
  • SNES - Nothing. My brother wanted it
  • N64 - Rogue Squadron
  • GCN - Rogue Leader
  • Wii - Nothing. My brother wanted it
  • Game Boy Pocket - Pokemon
  • Game Boy Color - No game in particular. I just wanted the hardware at launch
  • Game Boy Advance - No game in particular. I just wanted the hardware at launch
  • Game Boy Advance SP - No game in particular. I just wanted the hardware at launch
  • DS - No game in particular. I just wanted the hardware at launch
  • Xbox - Halo CE
  • Xbox 360 - No game in particular. I just wanted the hardware at launch
  • PS2 - Nothing. My brother wanted it
  • PS3 - Nothing. My brother wanted it
  • PSP - No game in particular. I just wanted the hardware at launch
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I've owned many consoles but I cant remember ever buying a console for one game. Many times if not most i've gotten a console on launch. So pretty much I treat them all like an investment. But if my PS4 wasn't gifted to me I would have probably bought it to play MGS4 and FFXIII.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

PS4- For Bloodborne. Soon.

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

can't remeber old console like atari but did own some of them as i usually bought them yearly as most of them got lost /broke . Never bought console for just 1 game, so i've all console and hand-held from PS1 - PS4 generation except for MS consol.. most console were gifted so i only bought handheld.. I was about to buy Xbox 360 when it came out but changed to PS3 in end(i think it was KZ art style and gameplay over halo).... built my PC last year so far it been great and best £2k investment decision so far....

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35  Edited By Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Based on what I actually paid for with my own money. Also had a SNES and PS1 but both were given to me as a gift.

• Playstation 2: Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts
  • Gamecube: Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Xbox 360: Gears of War, Mass Effect
  • Playstation 3: Metal Gear Solid IV, Uncharted 2
  • Wii U: Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros. 4

Eventually will be getting a PS4 after more games come out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

My family already owned a PC and PS1 by the time I got interested in gaming so my first system would've been the GC and I can't really think of why I wanted it other than to game (maybe Pikmin 2?). Kind of the same with the Wii lol though I immensely enjoyed the library so if I had to choose maybe Super Mario Galaxy. The 3DS was my first handheld, (parents wouldn't buy me a DS way back when) and I'd say the game was Pokemon Black and White. As for the Wii U it had Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, etc. at the time. I was really hyped back then, even though I love the console today. Then recently I got the PS3 to try all the exclusives I missed on it and buy any PS2 games I wanted to try and use the BC. I have yet to buy an Xbox though, I really enjoyed the original one at my friend's house.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

NES-we already had one by the time I was born
SNES-Super Mario World
N64-Mario 64
Dreamcast-NBA 2K/Marvel vs Capcom 2/Crazy Taxi
PS2-Madden 2001/SSX. Never even asked for a PS2, parents just bought me one for my birthday the year it came out.
Xbox-Halo, duh. My cousin got one for his birthday and when I played Halo for the first time it blew me away. We spent the entire summer pretty much just playing the campaign over and over.
Gamecube-never asked for one, my brother just bought it one day.
360-Halo 3
PS3-MGS4
Wii-Same as Gamecube

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

X360- GTA IV

Wii-nba live 08 (didn't even get it though)

PSP (just because)

PS2 was my older bro's but handed it down to me.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Only listing the systems I bought

• Sega Dreamcast - Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi
  • Xbox - Halo
  • Gamecube - Not actually sure, but SSBM was played for at least a thousand hours on my Gamecube (and thousands more on all my friends' gamecubes)
  • PS2 - Not sure why I bought it exactly. Didn't have as much fun with it as the other three systems of that gen.
  • GBA - Basically a portable SNES
  • Nintendo DS - Basically a portable SNES + 1
  • PSP - I thought it'd be good
  • 3DS - Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
  • My first custom PC was built for World of Warcraft, but I had played PC games for about 10 years prior

Other systems I've had that were either gifts, or for my whole family, were the NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, PS1, Gameboy, and Gameboy Color.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:

I'm not wasting my time including the handhelds, as I have lots of those (Lynx, Nomad, GameGear, Gameboy, DS, 3DS, PSP, Vita, etc...). Here are my game consoles

• Atari 2600 - Mother bought it for Kaboom & Yars Revenge. Took a lot of begging.
  • NES - Super Mario, Duck Hunt & R.O.B. For some reason that robot fascinated me.
  • Colecovision - Cosmic Avenger, Lady Bug, Donkey Kong, Smurf, Mouse Trap.
  • Turbographix - Bonk, Legendary Ax, Klax
  • Sega Genesis - Earthworm Jim, Sonic, Golden Ax
  • Sega Saturn - Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon, Virtual Fighter, Clockwork Knight
  • Sega CD - Night Trap, Sol-Feace, Chuck Rock, Adventures of Willy Beamish
  • Sega 32X - Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade, Metal Head, After Burner
  • Super Nintendo - Super Mario All-Stars, Bug Bunny Rabbit Rampage Final Fantasy 3
  • Playstation - Toshinden, Warhawk, FF VII
  • N64 - Super Mario 3D
  • Dreamcast - NFL 2K, NBA 2K, Toy Commander, Soul Calibur,
  • PS2 - I didn't get a PS2 until almost a year after it was released. Had 11 games for it before I got it. Games like Armor Core 2, The Bouncer, Smugglers Run, TimeSplitter & Tekken Tag Tournament.
  • Xbox - Halo, PGC, Mad Dash Racing, DoA 3, Oddworld, Munch's Oddysee
  • Gamecube - Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race,
  • 360 - PGR3, NBA Live 06, CoD2, Amped 3, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero
  • PS3 - Waited also 2 years to get one - Motorstorm, Uncharted, God of War
  • Wii - Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid 3, SSBB
  • PS4 - KZ:SF, ACIV (That was about it. Thought I'd be playing Drive Club, but nope)
  • Xbox One - Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Power Star Golf (lot more to play then on PS4).
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts
  • Snes, My first console, Zelda alttp and Super mario world were my main reasons for wanting it. Plus everyone in school practically had one, I first became familiar with it at a sleepover a kid invited me to in my class, we stayed up all night practically and played star fox. Also the first system that introduced me to RPG's. Illusion of Gaia was one of the first games I rented for the system and was just blown away.
  • Genesis, the sonic series and sega channel, sega channel was pretty damn awesome at the time.
  • Playstation. Final Fantasy 7, I remember seeing the ads for this game and just going holy shit, the final game didn't disappoint, also metal gear. I got so enamored with that game that I went as solid snake for Halloween during the time I was playing it, not many people knew what the hell I was, they just thought I was some future soldier dude and threw candy at me, worked out anyway.
  • N64, Zelda OOT and super mario 64, I played the latter at a SEARS and just fell in love with it.
  • Ps2, ICO, mgs 2, Xenosaga "I was a huge xenogears fan.", megami tensei, suikoden, GTA Vice City, the list goes on and on.
  • gamecube, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine, I remember getting luigi's mansion with the console but never playing it much, also monkey ball with friends was a good time.
  • ps3, like many people here I fell in the trap of wanting final fantasy 13, we all know how shit that turned out. Luckily the system had a lot of redeeming qualities, particularly in the form of Demon's souls for me. The start of hands down my favorite action RPG series.
  • Wii, Super mario galaxy and metroid prime 3, really it was SMG that made me get the console however.
  • Handhelds and the 360 that broke soon after make up the rest of this.

In retrospect I wish I would have purchased a dreamcast, I played it at my friends house all the time but never took the plunge myself.

The system I spent the most time on as a kid was definitely the PC however, Counter strike, team fortress and just halflife in general along with starsiege tribes. Also FFXI, I was seriously addicted to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Mario 64 was like a Jesus rising from the grave moment for the videogame industry. Children literally went to toys r us to pray for this game.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ConanTheStoner

@Heirren said:

Mario 64 was like a Jesus rising from the grave moment for the videogame industry. Children literally went to toys r us to pray for this game.

No kiddin man, the hype was real! I was a freshman in high school at the time and everybody was talking about it, always asking each other "how many stars you got, how many stars you got" lol. It was the first time I saw non-gamers get excited about a video game.

I just wasn't buying it though. Coming off the heals of Super Mario World and Yoshis Island, I felt SM64 was a HUGE let down. 3d platforming just didn't sit too well with me at first, it felt sloppy compared to its predecessors. I felt like my hobby was going down the crapper fast and I thought 3d gaming was shit in general until Ocarina of Time finally convinced me otherwise.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#45  Edited By wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Game Boy Color - Pokemon
gamecube - Super Smash Bros Melee

Wii - because I knew it would be the greatest console ever and I was not wrong

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'm sure I will miss some, and I might be a little foggy on some of the reasons I bought them...think I also have them in order. Not counting computers like Commodore 16, and 64, and Coleco Adam, PC's or handhelds...just consoles.

• Odyssy - Dad got it for free with a TV purchase...mainly played Tennis (Pong before Pong was invented) and Hockey
  • Atari 2600 - Graduation present - Pacman
  • Colecovision - Donkey Kong and Zaxxon
  • Atari 5200 - Centipede or Missle Command
  • NES - Mario Brothers
  • Turbo Graphix 16 - Bonk's Adventure
  • Super Nintendo - Super Mario World and A Link to the Past
  • Genesis - Sonic
  • Sega CD - Sonic CD
  • CD-i - Dark Castle, and maybe one of the Zelda games
  • 3DO - The Jurrasic Park game I believe
  • Saturn - House of the Dead
  • Playstation - Crash Bandicoot
  • Nintendo 64 - Mario 64 Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi
  • Gamecube - Luigi's Mansion
  • PS2 - Ratchet and Clank
  • Xbox 360 - King Kong
  • Wii- Wii Sports
  • PS3 - Uncharted
  • PS4 - Didn't really buy it for any games...received it as a early Birthday present. Mainly played free PS+ games on it at first Knack was the first real game I bought for it.
  • Wii-U - Mario Kart 8
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner
@coasterguy65 said:

I mean no disrespect, but I thought I was one of the older guys on this board.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#48 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Hmm let's see:

• Gameboy - I kept playing my stepsister's one but forgot which game I kept playing. Didn't get it specifically for that game though.
  • Gameboy Color - Received it as a gift.
  • Gameboy Advance SP - Pokemon Ruby
  • Nintendo DS - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
  • Nintendo 3DS - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D while waiting for Devil Survivor Overclocked, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Pokemon.
  • Playstation Portable - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
  • Playstation Vita - Assassin's Creed III: Liberation and DJMax Technika Tune
  • First PC Upgrade - Starcraft
  • Second PC Upgrade - Not specifically for one game but I was really hoping to get Bioshock 2 running on max.
  • Third PC Upgrade (minor) - Again, not specifically for one game but I was hoping to get Skyrim running on max.
  • Playstation - Always played Power Rangers on my friend's one so my parents got me one as well. Never did get the game though.
  • Playstation 3 - Got one really cheap for PS3 exclusives in general. Was mainly bought for The Last of Us which, ironically, I may just get on the PS4 in the future.
  • Wii - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess while waiting for Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Wii U - Assassin's Creed III while waiting for more Nintendo exclusives
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@coasterguy65 said:

I mean no disrespect, but I thought I was one of the older guys on this board.

I'm 49 so I've got some gaming history behind me....;-)

Not sure where I stack up, but I do know there are some older guys on here.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

SNES - Super Mario World

PS1 - Resident Evil

N64 - Super Mario 64

Dreamcast - Resident Evil Code Veronica