Pirates annihilate this PC exclusive said developer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Probably... I don't know. When I was a more of a console gamer, I'd just go at the store and see what's the game with the most boxes on the shelfs.

Bebi_vegeta

Follow up question: are PC gamers' reasons for purchasing Dishonored any different than console gamers'?

Probably not. But the thing is, it's hard to compare. It seems console and PC are in the same crowd. I mean why does moderne warfare sell so good on console and so bad on PC.

Which would be what I've been arguing in favor of this whole time - that there's not really an upper class of sophisticates surrounded by marketing-brainwashed sheeple.

As for why Call of Duty sells so poorly on PC: it doesn't. It doesn't sell as well as it does on consoles, but it's consistently in Steam's top 10 list every year. Some people may turn up their nose, but whether they like it or not, their fellow PC gamers are playing it too.

#352 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Follow up question: are PC gamers' reasons for purchasing Dishonored any different than console gamers'?lowe0

Probably not. But the thing is, it's hard to compare. It seems console and PC are in the same crowd. I mean why does moderne warfare sell so good on console and so bad on PC.

Which would be what I've been arguing in favor of this whole time - that there's not really an upper class of sophisticates surrounded by marketing-brainwashed sheeple.

As for why Call of Duty sells so poorly on PC: it doesn't. It doesn't sell as well as it does on consoles, but it's consistently in Steam's top 10 list every year. Some people may turn up their nose, but whether they like it or not, their fellow PC gamers are playing it too.

Well I was never argueing with you in the first place. I was more stating that dishonored had enough ads to be very noticeable.

#353 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Well I was never argueing with you in the first place. I was more stating that dishonored had enough ads to be very noticeable.

No kidding, I had that drunken whaler song stuck in my head for days :cry:

*edit whaler, sailor f*ck I don't know, made it worse to have a song I don't know the lyrics too :lol: *

#354 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Did it really have that much advertising, though? I mean, I've seen a few ads on TV, and I live in a mid-sized city in the US (large enough to have both an NFL and an NBA team). It's nowhere near the number of ads I've seen for Black Ops II or Mists of Pandaria.
#355 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Which would be what I've been arguing in favor of this whole time - that there's not really an upper class of sophisticates surrounded by marketing-brainwashed sheeple.

lowe0

Did it really have that much advertising, though? I mean, I've seen a few ads on TV, and I live in a mid-sized city in the US (large enough to have both an NFL and an NBA team). It's nowhere near the number of ads I've seen for Black Ops II or Mists of Pandaria.

Did Dishonored have as much airtime as Blops2 or WoW? No. Did Dishonored have a advertising budget that was bigger than the development costs of the word of mouth games people pointed out to you before? The amount of commercials I've seen in my NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB city, probably yes.

#356 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

slimjimbadboy

Did Dishonored have as much airtime as Blops2 or WoW? No. Did Dishonored have a advertising budget that was bigger than the development costs of the word of mouth games people pointed out to you before? The amount of commercials I've seen in my NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB city, probably yes.

And was that budget the only reason console gamers bought the game? Was it the only reason PC gamers bought the game? And if the answers to those two questions are different, why?
#357 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Did it really have that much advertising, though? I mean, I've seen a few ads on TV, and I live in a mid-sized city in the US (large enough to have both an NFL and an NBA team). It's nowhere near the number of ads I've seen for Black Ops II or Mists of Pandaria.lowe0

And was that budget the only reason console gamers bought the game? Was it the only reason PC gamers bought the game? And if the answers to those two questions are different, why?

Of course people bought the game due to advertisement. But, how does a 2d 8bit top down shooter outsell by word of mouth a highly graphical 2d platformer on systems with larger markets that cater to graphics and 2d platformers? Was it due to the lack of advertisement?

#358 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Which would be what I've been arguing in favor of this whole time - that there's not really an upper class of sophisticates surrounded by marketing-brainwashed sheeple.

lowe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMcbYHJyweE

"Watch the newly released TV Spot for Dishonored which premiered during the September 25th episode of Face Off."

#359 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

menes777

"Watch the newly released TV Spot for Dishonored which premiered during the September 25th episode of Face Off."

We already covered that. How many people watch Face Off vs. even the weakest matchup in Sunday football (usually anything involving the Lions)?
#360 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

slimjimbadboy

Of course people bought the game due to advertisement. But, how does a 2d 8bit top down shooter outsell by word of mouth a highly graphical 2d platformer on systems with larger markets that cater to graphics and 2d platformers? Was it due to the lack of advertisement?

To which 2D platformer are you referring?
#361 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Did it really have that much advertising, though? I mean, I've seen a few ads on TV, and I live in a mid-sized city in the US (large enough to have both an NFL and an NBA team). It's nowhere near the number of ads I've seen for Black Ops II or Mists of Pandaria.lowe0

We already covered that. How many people watch Face Off vs. even the weakest matchup in Sunday football (usually anything involving the Lions)?

It must have a pretty good following considering it's in Season 4. Usually SyFy pulls the plug if they start to lose viewers. The point though is that it has gotten some pretty good advertising time and that spot cost quite a bit in the advertising budget. If you were trying to prove that dishonored was known more by word of mouth there goes your proof.

#362 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28501 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="menes777"]

menes777

It must have a pretty good following considering it's in Season 4. Usually SyFy pulls the plug if they start to lose viewers. The point though is that it has gotten some pretty good advertising time and that spot cost quite a bit in the advertising budget. If you were trying to prove that dishonored was known more by word of mouth there goes your proof.

My wife watches zero sci-fi, hates the sy-fy channel and yet bizarrely watches that show :?
#363 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

menes777

Again, no. My point isn't that it's known more by word of mouth; it's that it's known by more than just advertising. I'm arguing against Riadon's extreme position; attributing the opposite extreme position seems like a nice way to discredit my argument, except for that pesky little detail that it's not what I'm saying.
#364 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] We already covered that. How many people watch Face Off vs. even the weakest matchup in Sunday football (usually anything involving the Lions)?lowe0

Again, no. My point isn't that it's known more by word of mouth; it's that it's known by more than just advertising. I'm arguing against Riadon's extreme position; attributing the opposite extreme position seems like a nice way to discredit my argument, except for that pesky little detail that it's not what I'm saying.

Like anything it's probably somewhere in between. People knew about it from both methods, but the question is which method was the more prevalent? Something we probably will never know for sure 100% either way. However, comparing to other console trends it's probably based more on advertising. Really how would you measure how people chose to buy a game though (surveys I feel are biased and inaccurate)?

#365 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

menes777

Like anything it's probably somewhere in between. People knew about it from both methods, but the question is which method was the more prevalent? Something we probably will never know for sure 100% either way. However, comparing to other console trends it's probably based more on advertising. Really how would you measure how people chose to buy a game though (surveys I feel are biased and inaccurate)?

Other than a valid survey? You couldn't. So I'm curious as to how it can be asserted that console gamers are controlled by advertising.
#366 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

I can't believe that people are still stupid enough to bait lowe0 after all of the threads that he has derailed.

#367 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -
Piracy is no where near as common as what devs and publishers make out. They try to use that excuse wherever they can but fact is, if they release a quality game, people will buy it. There will always be piracy on all platforms. When devs release games with DRM that infects PC's, is not removable and can cause harm to your PC, then of course more people will pirate it because they want to play the game without ruining their PC.