mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

That’s a shame that a big developer like Bioware that counts as one of pioneers in CPRG genre now falling behind Larian Studios & Obsidian and let kickstarter backers make their own version of Baldur’s Gate game. Hope POE’s success knock some sense into them

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Has much as i don't care for modern BW, it's important to understand that big budget games need large amounts of sales.

PoE, Divintiy and other CRPG are a niche. A popular one that is very important, but not a multi million seller one. Yes, on PC, CRPGs can sell alot, even a million should it be needed.

But EA wants has much money has possible. And to reach the console audiance in addition to the PC one, they need 3rd person, cinematic, large, "epic" RPGs. Isometric role playing games don't work well on a controller and aren't the type of game to reach a more mainstream group with big marketing campgains.

Honestly, i don't trust BW to even a make an awesom CRPG anymore. Specially with their obsession with romance and sex nowadays.

ArunsunK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArunsunK
Member since 2014 • 335 Posts

With upcoming titles like Torment: Tides of Numenera, Swords Coast Legends, and hopefully TSI's Seven Dragon Saga BioWare doesn't hold my interest for fantasy RPGs as it once did.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@mjorh: first lemme quotes some words from Cameron Lee, Producer, Dragon Age: Inquisition :

"Gaming's moved on from Neverwinter Nights, we've moved on from Baldur's Gate."

Bioware failed most of it's fans when abandoned Baldur's Gate for good , hope now they can see how wrong they were

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Neither. Fallout New Vegas.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23903 Posts

Apples and Oranges? Comparing PoE to DA:O would be much more reasonable.

But I would rather play Pillars of Eternity than DA:I for sure. It fits my kind of style much better than anything made by modern BioWare.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

Two completely different games in different settings. You can compare PoE with Divinity:OS but not DA:I. DA:I is a great game but it's wasn't up to the mark on PC at release. The story is good, characters are forgettable. The 8 only action bar on PC just threw me off though. Compare the same thing with D:OS and you had at least 20 skills to choose from. Heck even look at Dragon Age: Origins!

Baldurs Gate, Torment will always be pinnacle of cRPGs. PoE is excellent and I feel much more at home playing that instead of DA:I and I might do another run through for PoE as there are tons of things that I'm going to miss on first playthrough. I haven't touched DA:I after I beat the game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

@l0ngshot said:

Baldurs Gate, Torment will always be pinnacle of cRPGs.

Pillars Of Eternity thus far, is better than Baldurs Gate. About the only regard it seems weaker in is characters, but, I am still very, very early in the game. That will develop.

Difficult to compare with Torement, since that is almost wholly a text based game. It's one of a kind, truth be told. A game designed for men.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@deadline-zero0: that's fine and all, doesn't explain why they made it an mmo experience with hundreds of meaningless fetch quests, countdown timers and repetition beyond belief. DAI is an embarrassment to rpgs

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@rabakill:

Quantity over Quality I presume. It worked for Skyrim and it's billion sales, and Bioware freely admitted they were taking inspiration from that game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

POE so far is pretty much what I wish Dragon Age was. Dragon Age started as a modern day CRPG and it just went in a direction I dont like even though I enjoyed Inquisition.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_master_race

@Postosuchus: DAI is nothing like Skyrim , just a bad copy

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22653 Posts

Absolutely adored inquisition and I'm beyond happy that Bioware executed a game in the franchise like that. It deserved each and every one of the numerous GOTY's it received... And then some.

PoE has a dedication to a game design from yesteryear and I whole heartedly applaud that...

I'm glad each of these stellar games are different and that's my favorite take away... Parity.

Live and let live.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@the_master_race: well, they are alike actually in certain ways. The pinging in DAI, the waypoint system, the map design. Everything is very bland in both of them and they seem like mmo's in the sense that there is a whole lot of collecting things, a whole lot of menial tasks and then the main story content is often very watered down. Hundreds and hundreds of sidequests with the purpose of leveling up and accessing the next zone and in both games it freaking sucks hard slogging through the game.

Pillars of eternity does it right, there is no waypoint chasing or xp chasing. There are no menial collection tasks. I find that aspect to the be worst in any game and will turn it off immediately. In Saints Row 4 there's something like 300 little shard things to collect. **** that nonsense, fetch quests are not games and I don't play them anymore.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Absolutely adored inquisition and I'm beyond happy that Bioware executed a game in the franchise like that. It deserved each and every one of the numerous GOTY's it received... And then some.

PoE has a dedication to a game design from yesteryear and I whole heartedly applaud that...

I'm glad each of these stellar games are different and that's my favorite take away... Parity.

Live and let live.

I loved Inquisition but its pretty clear that game was rushed and a ton of content had to be cut. The first time they showed it there were so many interesting potential mechanics like having to defend strongholds. I also don't like how basic and restricted the character building is compared to Origins.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_master_race

@rabakill: when I said it's nothing like skyrim I meant that DAI couldn't achieve the greatness that skyrim had as an open world RPG neither in scale nor design. when you compare Inquisition to the first game of series DAO , you'll understand that this game is nothing but desperate initiative which ended in failure.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Lol. There is no contest here. PoE is light years superior than that single player MMO.

@deadline-zero0

I strongly disagree that PoE is a niche title. The only reason why DAI sold more is because it's a multiplat title. But on PC only they will sell roughly the same or PoE will sell even more copies. I would like to know how many copies DAI sold, but right now PoE is at the top 10 of the most played games featuring 40K of concurrent gamers, not bad for a niche game, suggesting it must have already sold over 200k copies in its first week.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Dragon Age: Inquisition killed my brain cells. I think PoE wins for not making me dumber.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Dragon Age: Inquisition was pretty bad.. 80% of the game is just fetch quests and WoW styled open areas with plenty of collectibles to boot. The main story is insanely short, there is barely any interesting content to be had here. Dragon Age Origins was a massively better game in every way. If Bioware keep this up then I'm not going bother with their games anymore. Just another developer that has abandoned their fanbases and cashed in on the lower standards of a casual gamer. I only hope that CD Projekt hasn't taken the same route and filled their game with singleplayer MMORPG content. :\

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Played neither.

I'm very much looking forward to Pillars, just don't have the time right now.

Don't think I'd play DA if it was handed to me for free.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Dragon Age: Inquisition was a game with a nice concept and interesting story (what little there ultimately was), but stuffed to the brim with bad time wasters. The lore surrounding the world was the saving grace for this game if you ask me.

Pillars of Eternity is a game stuffed to the brim with things that feel worthwhile. The more basic 'kill x or y' quests have to be unlocked, and are hard as hell. The stuff you find just by exploring is great, and there are a myriad of solutions for each thing. Within the first 30 minutes of starting I had a conversation with 9ish skill checks. Obsidian went a step further, and some of the skill checks are actually worse then just selecting an answer that has no check.

So yeah I like Pillars of Eternity a lot more.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Dragon Age: Inquisition has better action (if you play it as an action game) and certainly more epic cutscenes, higher budget voice acting, animations and visuals.

However, Pillars completely destroys Inquisition when it comes to tactical gameplay, story and choices. While both are worthwhile products, Pillars is by far the better game.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

Has much as i don't care for modern BW, it's important to understand that big budget games need large amounts of sales.

PoE, Divintiy and other CRPG are a niche. A popular one that is very important, but not a multi million seller one. Yes, on PC, CRPGs can sell alot, even a million should it be needed.

But EA wants has much money has possible. And to reach the console audiance in addition to the PC one, they need 3rd person, cinematic, large, "epic" RPGs. Isometric role playing games don't work well on a controller and aren't the type of game to reach a more mainstream group with big marketing campgains.

Honestly, i don't trust BW to even a make an awesom CRPG anymore. Specially with their obsession with romance and sex nowadays.

Maybe niche titles are the future? PoE is not just a little bit better than DA:I. AAA mainstream titles are being overtaken by these niche and indie titles at a ludicrous speed. (Excluding Nintendo.)

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@GhoX said:

Dragon Age: Inquisition has better action (if you play it as an action game)

If I wanted to go the action route, there are MUCH better choices for that though. DA3 is just an awkward mess that doesn't know what it wants to be and tries to appeal to everybody. (which never works)

Can't wait to dig in to PILLARS.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#25 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

POE so far is pretty much what I wish Dragon Age was. Dragon Age started as a modern day CRPG and it just went in a direction I dont like even though I enjoyed Inquisition.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Word on the street is that Pillars is an actual RPG unashamedly pandering to the old CRPG fan group while dragon Inquisition is a poormans skyrim that tries to appeal to everyone.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

@musalala said:

Word on the street is that Pillars is an actual RPG unashamedly pandering to the old CRPG fan group while dragon Inquisition is a poormans skyrim that tries to appeal to everyone.

Yep, been hearing this as well.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Pillars is a much better RPG. But honestly, Dragon Age: I was surprisingly good, especially after how DA2 turned out.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@the_master_race: He is right, though. AD&D is ridiculously convoluted to get through.

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

By far Pillars, it's just a better game in every meaningful way. POE is probably the best rpg released over the last 10-15 years.

It's what origins wanted to be amd should have been.