Phil Spencer Named Head of Xbox

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

Phil Spencer to lead Xbox

Today it has been announced that Phil Spencer has been named the Head of Xbox. He will be leading the Xbox, Xbox Live, and creative teams including Xbox Music, Xbox Video and Microsoft Studios.

I’ve known Phil for a long time, and I am incredibly exited by this news and what it means for Xbox. I’ll get him on the Podcast this week to discuss his thoughts. Join me in congratulating Phil on his new role

SOURCE

This is really cool news- Phil is a swell guy, and one of the few people at Microsoft who actually seems to have a passion for video games, instead of being just the slimy corporate suits type. He's done a great job at righting the ship with the Xbox One since its disastrous reveal so far, and I hope he manages to take the brand to even greater directions.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39164 posts) -

He's a pretty humble guy. Hope he does well.

#3 Posted by Blabadon (25934 posts) -

I like Phil, it's just a shame that he has some sort of strange reputation attached due to Microsoft shitting the bed with the One early on.

#5 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4085 posts) -
#6 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10337 posts) -

You will hear much more as we head into E3, but we are at the beginning of an incredible new chapter for Xbox and I can’t wait for the days and years ahead. This is going to be fun.

Gunna have to hold him to that.

#7 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

Great news. This guy gets it and he'll push for smart moves all around. One leader of Xbox instead of a committee of dumbasses, lol. I'm very excited about this announcement.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...corpemail.aspx

Next, I have asked Phil Spencer to take on a new role leading Xbox, combining the Xbox and Xbox Live development teams with the Microsoft Studios team. Phil will report to Terry Myerson, allowing us to keep gaming close to the group developing operating systems across devices. In this new job, Phil will lead the Xbox, Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox Video teams, and Microsoft Studios. Combining all our software, gaming and content assets across the Xbox team under a single leader and aligning with the OSG team will help ensure we continue to do great work across the Xbox business, and bring more of the magic of Xbox to all form factors, including tablets, PCs and phones. Phil will continue his close partnership with Yusuf Mehdi, who leads business strategy and marketing for Xbox, George Peckham, who heads up third-party partnerships and Mike Angiulo, who will continue leading Xbox hardware. Over the years, Phil’s team at Microsoft Studios has helped build a community of more than 80 million Xbox owners and 48 million Xbox Live members through blockbuster game franchises such as “Halo,” “Gears of War,” “Kinect Sports,” “Fable,” “Forza Motorsport” and many others. He’s helped drive the development of brand-new entertainment offerings like the partnership with the NFL and the formation of Xbox Entertainment Studios. I love the way the Xbox team is focused on great games and gaming experiences (go, “Titanfall”!), connects with its fans, pushes the boundary of entertainment and has embraced the power of the cloud in such interesting and impactful ways. Phil is the right person to lead Xbox forward.



Finally, effective with the close of our deal with Nokia, Stephen Elop will join Microsoft as Executive Vice President, Microsoft Devices Group, reporting to me. We expect to close the acquisition by the end of April 2014. I’ve had a chance to work closely with Stephen, when he was previously a senior leader with Microsoft, as a key partner during his tenure as Nokia CEO, and again in the last several months as we’ve worked through the initial stages of integration planning. I look forward to working with Stephen as a key member of the senior leadership team and welcoming the Nokia Devices and Services employees to the Microsoft family. The mobile capabilities, hardware design expertise, and world-class manufacturing and supply chain operations they bring will help us drive innovations in devices to delight our customers. Stephen will partner closely with Phil and Terry on Xbox and will bring together many of the top leaders from his existing Nokia Devices and Services organization as well as the current leaders of the Devices and Studios team.

#8 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

Finally, some good news for the Xbox Division.

#9 Posted by lglz1337 (3133 posts) -

it will not change your situation MS

#10 Posted by Desmonic (13417 posts) -

He seems like the right guy for the job. Hope he does well! :)

#11 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9511 posts) -

He's a pretty humble guy. Hope he does well.

huh?

that guy acts and has the look of a dick bro dude doritos and mountain dew eating duche bag college party student.

So actaully he is perfect for running XBOX since that is their main audience.

#12 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

He's a pretty humble guy. Hope he does well.

huh?

that guy acts and has the look of a dick bro dude doritos and mountain dew eating duche bag college party student.

So actaully he is perfect for running XBOX since that is their main audience.

Lol. Cod sells 20+ million on Playstation as well.

#13 Posted by bfmv2007 (279 posts) -

The Xbox division gets good new for a change? THIS IS IMPOSSIBRU! But on a serious note, I think Phil Spencer is an excellent choice. Plus 1 for Microsoft.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow: You are probably confusing him with Phil Harrison. Spencer is really cool, down to earth, and speaks without the PR bullshit.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (39164 posts) -

huh?

that guy acts and has the look of a dick bro dude doritos and mountain dew eating duche bag college party student.

So actaully he is perfect for running XBOX since that is their main audience.

Haha. That's funny. Really is.

No, I don't really bother looking at interviews with these individuals, but the stuff I've seen him talk about makes him seem like a good fella.

Not the kind that fits you cement shoes, and throws you into the canal though.

#16 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9511 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Nengo_Flow: You are probably confusing him with Phil Harrison. Spencer is really cool, down to earth, and speaks without the PR bullshit.

Phill Harrison is the DEVIL

I am confused tho, i thought Spencer was this guy:

He talks and smiles like a dick

#17 Edited by Vatusus (4433 posts) -

Wasnt he already? :|

Anyway, out of all the MS suit dickwads he's the only one I dont despise so that must mean somethin about his character. Lets see if all his humble talk wasnt just for show...

#18 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

it will not change your situation MS

Lol, of course it wont. Your Cow logic feels that how things are today can never and will never change. But if that's true when Sony is bankrupt and selling assets within 3 years, what will you worship then :) Things obviously can't change, right?

#19 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4085 posts) -

So this guy is the new lemming king? At least until Elop sacks his and everyone else's ass.

Not like there was anyone else who could do the job. Penello? Mehdi? Greenberg? Harrison? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

@shawn30 said:

bring more of the magic of Xbox to all form factors, including tablets, PCs and phones.

An idiotic fanbase? I can't wait.

Phil will continue his close partnership with Yusuf Mehdi, who leads business strategy and marketing for Xbox,

Fantastic.

He’s helped drive the development of brand-new entertainment offerings like the partnership with the NFL and the formation of Xbox Entertainment Studios.

Even better.

Finally, effective with the close of our deal with Nokia, Stephen Elop will join Microsoft as Executive Vice President, Microsoft Devices Group, reporting to me.

The icing on the cake.

#20 Edited by BigBoss255 (3538 posts) -

Good news. He actually seems to care about games unlike that c*** Matrick.

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Nengo_Flow: You are probably confusing him with Phil Harrison. Spencer is really cool, down to earth, and speaks without the PR bullshit.

Phill Harrison is the DEVIL

I am confused tho, i thought Spencer was this guy:

He talks and smiles like a dick

He does dress like that lol, but he's actually very passionate about games. You should check out some of his interviews!

#22 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9880 posts) -

Good move...I don't hate this guy, he seems alright.

#23 Edited by coasterguy65 (5876 posts) -

Seems like a good move. Let's hope they can keep Elop from screwing everything up.

#24 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13423 posts) -

Now maybe something good can come out of xbox, Spencer doesn't seem like he has his head stuck up his ass.

#25 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42626 posts) -

Interesting, will be good to see what's coming up at E3 and beyond with his direction.

#26 Edited by kuu2 (6963 posts) -

This is a great win for Xbox..........

Phil is in touch with gamers, developers, and commands the respect of the higher ups in MSoft as well.

Harrison might leave after this promotion though so be on the look out.

#27 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3014 posts) -

I think this is good news for the x1. He seems like the only guy that cares about games.

#28 Edited by Heil68 (43462 posts) -

I'm surprised after his abortion of a reveal for the Xbone.

#29 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I'm surprised after his abortion of a reveal for the Xbone.

He was doing what Mattrick and co. were telling him to, he has openly spoken out against the Xbox One's initial policies on multiple occasions.

#30 Posted by Draign (588 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I'm surprised after his abortion of a reveal for the Xbone.

I thought the reveal was awesome.

#31 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (742 posts) -

Great, now they will invest all their funds into yearly Crackdown sequels.

/Kidding. Actually good news or so I've been lead to believe.

#32 Edited by SolidTy (42446 posts) -
#33 Posted by ankor77 (940 posts) -

Agreed with most that this is great news. Every time I hear Phil in an interview I come away impressed. I only wish he was in charge when they started designing the console. Either way this is a good move.

#34 Posted by cainetao11 (16887 posts) -

Time will tell. I lol at the judgments on his appearance. Noble people we are.

#35 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6146 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

This is a great win for Xbox..........

Phil is in touch with gamers, developers, and commands the respect of the higher ups in MSoft as well.

Harrison might leave after this promotion though so be on the look out.

I am excited. This is about the best person I could think of for the job. (hiring internally)

#36 Edited by kuu2 (6963 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

This is a great win for Xbox..........

Phil is in touch with gamers, developers, and commands the respect of the higher ups in MSoft as well.

Harrison might leave after this promotion though so be on the look out.

I am excited. This is about the best person I could think of for the job. (hiring internally)

I think you are right on that. It would have been funny to see Jack Tretton come in and guide the division but that would have been Armageddon for Cows. Spencer is a software guy which means the group is in the hands of a thinker Jack comes off more as a sales guy to me.

#37 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

This is definitely good news for Xbox

#38 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -
#39 Posted by SolidTy (42446 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Well, Spencer is imo, a much better choice than the last guy.

EDIT:

Two threads on Spencer within two hours from Charizard? Why? Just change the title and fit it all in one glorious thread.

I answered this question in the other thread.

One thread is basic PR 101 from Spencer which fits in this thread because Spencer's interviews are only because of his new appointment.

#40 Edited by RR360DD (11609 posts) -

This is terrible news for cows. All them PS4 indies will look even worse in comparison to the onslaught of blockbusters on Xbox One.

#41 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Well, Spencer is imo, a much better choice than the last guy.

EDIT:

Two threads on Spencer within two hours from Charizard? Why? Just change the title and fit it all in one glorious thread.

I answered this question in the other thread.

One thread is basic PR 101 from Spencer which fits in this thread because Spencer's interviews are only because of his new appointment.

So? They're where he intends to take the Xbox brand, and they're new news, separate news, and deserve a separate thread to be highlighted. Once again, System Wars make redundant threads for news that has much more of an overlap than this, which does not.

I don't see anyone else complaining, why does it matter so much to you?

#42 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3979 posts) -
@draign said:

@Heil68 said:

I'm surprised after his abortion of a reveal for the Xbone.

I thought the reveal was awesome.

You're on the wrong forum pal, tv.com is that way -----> http://www.tv.com/

Let's see the goods Phil, then we'll talk.

#43 Edited by edwardecl (2112 posts) -

Is this the same man who thinks video games originated in Japan? The guy is an idiot.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

Is this the same man who thinks video games originated in Japan? The guy is an idiot.

No.

#45 Edited by SolidTy (42446 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Well, Spencer is imo, a much better choice than the last guy.

EDIT:

Two threads on Spencer within two hours from Charizard? Why? Just change the title and fit it all in one glorious thread.

I answered this question in the other thread.

One thread is basic PR 101 from Spencer which fits in this thread because Spencer's interviews are only because of his new appointment.

So? They're where he intends to take the Xbox brand, and they're new news, separate news, and deserve a separate thread to be highlighted. Once again, System Wars make redundant threads for news that has much more of an overlap than this, which does not.

I don't see anyone else complaining, why does it matter so much to you?

As I said in the other thread:

-----

This "Spencer PR" is just from interviews Spencer got due to his new job appointment. It's all related to his promotion.

This is basic PR 101 due to his new appointment. He's got to say things that people want to hear, he just got the job. He has to sing praises and make sure we are pleased with this promotion. It is PR for him and for Xbox's future.

Regarding other threads, if they are made within hours of each other, they are deemed lockable and as we know they aren't usually made by the same OP unless it's spammy. Besides, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because you see redundant threads, doesn't mean you should add to the problem.

As I said above, there are no links in your latest "Spencer got a promotion and speaks up to gaming sites" OP either.

My issue with this poor approach is great conversation about Spencer's PR or his promotion will be lost in the two threads, and for no reason. If someone else made this thread, I would have told them it was a redundant Spencer thread, but the same OP should know better. You could modify the original thread's OP and title if you wished.

Spencer got a promotion. Spencer get's interviewed because of his promotion. I wouldn't want to read two different Kamiya, Miyamoto, Mikami, or Kojima threads within two hours of each other either, and at least those dudes actually make and design games. I like those guys a hell of a lot more due to what they've given me as a gamer, and even then multiple threads means lost conversation which I wouldn't want. I don't want to post over and over about how good or bad they are or whatever. This is just about a corporate head, it's not even as exciting. The guy got promoted and he is singing praises about said promotion, which is what he should do. I would. Going back to Miyamoto and other reputable game directors, even if one thread was about their new promotion and the other thread was those Amazing game designers talking about their new promotion and the new direction of their company, it would mean lost conversation for no reason between multiple threads for no real reason.

There's other threads I'm in, so have fun with managing the various Spencer threads. I said my piece and I'm out.

#46 Posted by edwardecl (2112 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

Is this the same man who thinks video games originated in Japan? The guy is an idiot.

No.

Must have been someone else who said that then my bad. He's got a big job on his hands to repair the damage done in Europe though.

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Well, Spencer is imo, a much better choice than the last guy.

EDIT:

Two threads on Spencer within two hours from Charizard? Why? Just change the title and fit it all in one glorious thread.

I answered this question in the other thread.

One thread is basic PR 101 from Spencer which fits in this thread because Spencer's interviews are only because of his new appointment.

So? They're where he intends to take the Xbox brand, and they're new news, separate news, and deserve a separate thread to be highlighted. Once again, System Wars make redundant threads for news that has much more of an overlap than this, which does not.

I don't see anyone else complaining, why does it matter so much to you?

As I said in the other thread:

-----

This "Spencer PR" is just from interviews Spencer got due to his new job appointment. It's all related to his promotion.

This is basic PR 101 due to his new appointment. He's got to say things that people want to hear, he just got the job. He has to sing praises and make sure we are pleased with this promotion. It is PR for him and for Xbox's future.

Regarding other threads, if they are made within hours of each other, they are deemed lockable and as we know they aren't usually made by the same OP unless it's spammy. Besides, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because you see redundant threads, doesn't mean you should add to the problem.

As I said above, there are no links in your latest "Spencer got a promotion and speaks up to gaming sites" OP either.

My issue with this poor approach is great conversation about Spencer's PR or his promotion will be lost in the two threads, and for no reason. If someone else made this thread, I would have told them it was a redundant Spencer thread, but the same OP should know better. You could modify the original thread's OP and title if you wished.

Spencer got a promotion. Spencer get's interviewed because of his promotion. I wouldn't want to read two different Kamiya, Miyamoto, Mikami, or Kojima threads within two hours of each other either, and at least those dudes actually make and design games. I like those guys a hell of a lot more due to what they've given me as a gamer, and even then multiple threads means lost conversation which I wouldn't want. I don't want to post over and over about how good or bad they are or whatever. This is just about a corporate head, it's not even as exciting. The guy got promoted and he is singing praises about said promotion, which is what he should do. I would. Going back to Miyamoto and other reputable game directors, even if one thread was about their new promotion and the other thread was those Amazing game designers talking about their new promotion and the new direction of their company, it would mean lost conversation for no reason between multiple threads for no real reason.

No it won't, there's a lot of great conversation already. In fact, it's being disrupted more by this constant thread whining than it is by anything else.

I also want to point out, keeping this all in one thread has the potential of some great news and conversation starters getting lost and not getting enough prominence and emphasis- surely not something you want.

#48 Posted by charizard1605 (56021 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@edwardecl said:

Is this the same man who thinks video games originated in Japan? The guy is an idiot.

No.

Must have been someone else who said that then my bad. He's got a big job on his hands to repair the damage done in Europe though.

No worries, Microsoft has a lot of idiots.

And if Spencer walks the talk, I remain confident in his ability to do it. Dude gives me hope.

#49 Posted by Ghost120x (3739 posts) -

MS is just a mess right now in terms of management of the Xbox division. The poor soul will be gone in a year or two.

#50 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

@edwardecl said:
@charizard1605 said:

@edwardecl said:

Is this the same man who thinks video games originated in Japan? The guy is an idiot.

No.

Must have been someone else who said that then my bad. He's got a big job on his hands to repair the damage done in Europe though.

No worries, Microsoft has a lot of idiots.

And if Spencer walks the talk, I remain confident in his ability to do it. Dude gives me hope.

See, I was one of the few people who really liked the original Xbox One. The problem is that most people don't actually know what that console was. All of the idiots involved at Microsoft are PR people. I don't think the reaction would have been nearly as awful if they didn't literally only tell people the negative sides of their new console vision.