Phil Spencer: Microsoft won't sell us off

• 52 results
#1 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

Thoughts? He seems to be a really fresh breath of air for the head of the Xbox division.

Link

#2 Edited by nini200 (9467 posts) -

Next week's update:

"Microsoft has seen fit to separate the gaming division from the PC division and has come to a settlement which involves the selling off of the Xbox division. Microsoft seems confident that the new owners of Xbox will deliver new, exciting and fresh ideas to the consumers. The gaming community should feel right at home with their new owner Electronic Arts"

- Phil Spencer

Link

#3 Posted by xhawk27 (7211 posts) -

@nini200 said:

Next week's update:

"Microsoft has seen fit to separate the gaming division from the PC division and has come to a settlement which involves the selling off of the Xbox division. Microsoft seems confident that the new owners of Xbox will deliver new, exciting and fresh ideas to the consumers. The gaming community should feel right at home with their new owner Electronic Arts"

- Phil Spencer

Like EA could afford the Xbox brand.

#4 Posted by nini200 (9467 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@nini200 said:

Next week's update:

- Phil Spencer

Like EA could afford the Xbox brand.

They could if their CEO was Warren Buffett. Do you deny such logic?

#5 Edited by Bigboi500 (29132 posts) -

Yep, he's a freath of bresh air.

#6 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (928 posts) -

Only God or Samsung (it includes some brilliant Ex-Sony engineers, yup that era when Sony hardware used to be great)

can afford the almighty One.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

He could be so lucky after he headed up that abortion of a reveal..lolz

#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

He hopes....

#9 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -
#10 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13885 posts) -

Just business as usual. Cleaning up all that mess they left for him and he's damage controlling it all.

#11 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6056 posts) -

Man the xbox is as solid as ever. The rock will not budge.

#12 Posted by inb4uall (5267 posts) -

lol @xbox and the people dumb enough to buy them.

#13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28338 posts) -

Man sheen's are really scared its insane.

#14 Posted by SolidTy (42113 posts) -

I'm glad to hear it, but it's just PR so he really wouldn't and can't say otherwise.

It's not like he's going to come out and scream the end of the world is coming, he just got promoted. I do believe him, but I don't fancy PR and I never will as I've said repeatedly since 2005 in SW.

#15 Posted by musicalmac (22818 posts) -

I think the gaming world needs a bombshell. MS selling off the Xbox brand would be a worthy bombshell. I don't see it happening, though. I think Phil is likely leveling with people on that.

But things are always subject to change.

#16 Edited by inb4uall (5267 posts) -

I think the gaming world needs a bombshell. MS selling off the Xbox brand would be a worthy bombshell. I don't see it happening, though. I think Phil is likely leveling with people on that.

Well I foresee the mobile gaming industry collapsing like the gaming industry did before nintendo rebooted it. there's just so much crap that it's hard to find anything good under it all. Of course we have the internet now so it is slightly easier, but I'm gonna call it all the same. that would be a sizable bomb shell for you though since you seem to enjoy mobile gaming.

#17 Posted by musicalmac (22818 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@musicalmac said:

Well I foresee the mobile gaming industry collapsing like the gaming industry did before nintendo rebooted it. there's just so much crap that it's hard to find anything good under it all. Of course we have the internet now so it is slightly easier, but I'm gonna call it all the same. that would be a sizable bomb shell for you though since you seem to enjoy mobile gaming.

That's not a bombshell. Think bigger.

#18 Edited by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -

freshness is back :) keep singing philly

#19 Posted by inb4uall (5267 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@musicalmac said:

That's not a bombshell. Think bigger.

You're right mobile gaming isn't very relevant to gaming.

I suppose apple could go bankrupt? ;p

in all seriousness though, the biggest thing I could see is Sony's gaming division going solo, or xbox brand going solo (even though phil say it won't happen.)

#20 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

Man sheen's are really scared its insane.

is sheen what you call your beard

#21 Posted by kipsta77 (915 posts) -

I really doubt it'd happen.

As of this point in time, I like Phil more than anyone over at Sony.

#22 Posted by musicalmac (22818 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

in all seriousness though, the biggest thing I could see is Sony's gaming division going solo, or xbox brand going solo (even though phil say it won't happen.)

Sony going bankrupt is more likely. Xbox brand being sold is more likely.

Speaking of Apple, maybe they could buy EA, that would be a nice, big bombshell. Or Sony. They have enough liquid assets to buy both, and Netflix, and much more if they wanted. None of them make enough money, though.

Gamers hate Apple, so anything Apple wants to do to traditional gaming is fine with me. I think perspective would help a whole lot of entrenched folks. A little shake-up would do just that.

#23 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I'm glad to hear it, but it's just PR so he really wouldn't and can't say otherwise.

It's not like he's going to come out and scream the end of the world is coming, he just got promoted. I do believe him, but I don't fancy PR and I never will as I've said repeatedly since 2005 in SW.

Hey, hey, hey...listen to me:

I think Phil Spencer is true.

#24 Edited by inb4uall (5267 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@inb4uall said:

Sony going bankrupt is more likely. Xbox brand being sold is more likely.

Speaking of Apple, maybe they could buy EA, that would be a nice, big bombshell. Or Sony. They have enough liquid assets to buy both, and Netflix, and much more if they wanted. None of them make enough money, though.

Gamers hate Apple, so anything Apple wants to do to traditional gaming is fine with me. I think perspective would help a whole lot of entrenched folks. A little shake-up would do just that.

I would think Playstation would split off of sony and then the rest of sony would declare bankruptcy. I'm by no means an accountant though. apple is a western corporation though so according to japanese law I don't believe apple can legally buy sony.

I'd rather apple not dirty their hands with EA though because then I would have to stop buying Apple things since I boycott EA.

#25 Posted by musicalmac (22818 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

I would think Playstation would split off of sony and then the rest of sony would declare bankruptcy. I'm by no means an accountant though. apple is a western corporation though so according to japanese law I don't believe apple can legally buy sony.

That's a good point, actually, I'm not familiar with those laws. I don't think Apple would actually buy Sony. Like I said earlier, Sony doesn't make enough money anyways.

However, if the Xbox or Playstation brand were to disappear, we'd have an interesting bombshell scenario.

#26 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

lol xbox who cares they didnt do nothing for gaming

#27 Edited by SolidTy (42113 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Hey, hey, hey...listen to me:

I think Phil Spencer is true.

I think Ollie would call Philly-boy Spencer "Big tits" and try to kiss him if given the opportunity. Fun talk show guest.

#28 Posted by KittenNose (376 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

That is just crazy talk. A game like Flappy Birds can be made in an afternoon, and score fifty grand a day in ad revenue.

The gaming industry did fall collapse under a load of crap, but this is a new era. The overwhelming majority of the internet is crap. It is a steaming cesspit blurping up the very worst humanity has to offer, but western society would still have a collective heart attack if they had to live without it for a solid month. It doesn't matter how much sewage is pumped through the system so long as there is a thin layer if interesting or entertaining floating atop the scum.

As example: Netflix. It would be extremely generous to say it is only ninety percent garbage, but the interesting bits that float to the top still make it so that every single person I know has it in their house. Youtube also makes a sickeningly astonishing amount of money. One hundred hours of content is uploaded to it every minute. Do you think there is anyway in the world that even one percent of that is worth watching?

I do not think the human race could possibly produce enough crap to bog down any aspect of the entertainment industry connected to the internet.

#29 Posted by inb4uall (5267 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

That's a good point, actually, I'm not familiar with those laws. I don't think Apple would actually buy Sony. Like I said earlier, Sony doesn't make enough money anyways.

However, if the Xbox or Playstation brand were to disappear, we'd have an interesting bombshell scenario.

I don't think Sony could go downhill fast enough to create that large of a bombshell. They would keep selling things off on the way down and it would amount to a very long, drawn out, painful process. By the time the bankruptcy announcement came and it wouldn't be much off a bombshell.

Idk about M$. All I have for them is hate after my 360. I try to avoid them, and don't as much about them as a result.

#30 Posted by cainetao11 (16588 posts) -

I'll just keep buying the consoles with the games I want to play. If MS sells brand to whomever, and they make good games for it, I'll buy

#31 Posted by RR360DD (11519 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

lol @xbox and the people dumb enough to buy them.

lol @ your pathetic trolling

#32 Edited by Rocky_Denace (143 posts) -

Phil is the best guy in gaming these days so in tune with gamers and it's fans.

#33 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15924 posts) -

Heh. I've worked as an engineer a couple giant companies in my life (Cisco Systems, Inc, for one) and when the CEO tells you that "No re-org is coming", then you know for sure that a re-org is on the way.

#34 Posted by TigerSuperman (1951 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

You man the Feb reveal? Where he though it would be a good idea to get the shit that is not games out of E3 and have games at E3? That's a bad thing? I mean they are still doing that now. All the fluff and updates are on blogs and news media.

#35 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@nini200 said:

They could if their CEO was Warren Buffett.

Not really if Gates doesn't want to sell it.

#36 Posted by nini200 (9467 posts) -

@edidili said:

@nini200 said:

But Gates isn't the CEO anymore

#37 Edited by edidili (3446 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@edidili said:

@nini200 said:

Doesn't matter, he's still the biggest shareholder and xbox was his child. You really think MS can just ignore Gates?

#38 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6857 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@musicalmac said:

If people were buying phones for the sole purpose of gaming, this would happen. Most people think of games as an afterthought if they think of them at all when choosing a phone, though. As long as there are smart phone users, there will be plenty of people trying to make it big off of them with games.

#39 Posted by kuu2 (6886 posts) -

Killing rumors all the way to e3!

Phil is going to be a great head for the Xbox, the guy knows what he is doing.

#40 Posted by nini200 (9467 posts) -

@edidili said:

@nini200 said:

@edidili said:

@nini200 said:

Doesn't matter, he's still the biggest shareholder and xbox was his child. You really think MS can just ignore Gates?

It does matter lol He is not in charge anymore thus he does not make the final decisions lol Are you really trying to make that into a real debate?

#41 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13113 posts) -

What's with the dick sucking?

#42 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

You man the Feb reveal? Where he though it would be a good idea to get the shit that is not games out of E3 and have games at E3? That's a bad thing? I mean they are still doing that now. All the fluff and updates are on blogs and news media.

Yup, that's the one, where he didn't know what was going on and even admitted that later on. It was one of the most awkward press conferences that I've ever seen.

Come to be that it propelled SONY to the top.

#43 Edited by edidili (3446 posts) -

Not really no. What part of Warren Buffet entering the gaming industry sounded real to you?

The guy said the third richest man in the world can buy it. I guess he forgot that xbox is in the hands of the richest man in the world.

On a sidenote you're underestimating the influence of Gates at MS. The reason why he has been inactive at MS for the past years has been by choice. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a say. If he has a strong opinion about something, yeah MS will take note the new CEO included.

#44 Edited by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

Phil Spencer immediately touches wood after stating such words.

#45 Posted by Shewgenja (8331 posts) -

LOL @ anyone thinking they guy who shoveled 400 million dollars to the NFL is now the champion of gamers. You people live a lie, I can tell you that much.

#46 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11504 posts) -

#47 Posted by nini200 (9467 posts) -

@edidili said:

Not really no. What part of Warren Buffet entering the gaming industry sounded real to you?

The guy said the third richest man in the world can buy it. I guess he forgot that xbox is in the hands of the richest man in the world.

On a sidenote you're underestimating the influence of Gates at MS. The reason why he has been inactive at MS for the past years have been by choice.

Lol you sure are putting alot of thought into something you're not trying to turn into a debate lol

News headline:

Buffet Buys Out Microsoft. :D

#48 Posted by jimmarko21876 (414 posts) -

Thanks for the laugh, that gif is win!! How the hell does gamespot allow that??!!

#49 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13113 posts) -

I suppose fellatio is related to xbone.