Phil Spencer has a PS4. Why not you?

• 84 results
#1 Posted by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

Spencer knows that the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will continue to be compared. "We shipped at the same time and we're in direct competition with the PS4," he admits. "I'm not going to duck that. I want to win. I want to win this generation, but I want to win more than I want the other guy to lose. I own a PS4, and it's not like I want it to get dusty or not have games. But I do want to sell a lot of Xbox Ones, and for many people that's a direct competition with the PS4. As the Xbox team, we are the underdog."

Actually, an interesting interview.

The PS4 is literally the PS2x2, so who can blame the guy? Seems like he has his mind in the right place in this interview at least. Kudos to that. Just figured, I'd twist the knife a little since Sony won Gamescom and all. ;)

#2 Posted by lostrib (35704 posts) -

Lacks an interesting library

#3 Posted by Bishop1310 (1047 posts) -

Spencer knows that the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will continue to be compared. "We shipped at the same time and we're in direct competition with the PS4," he admits. "I'm not going to duck that. I want to win. I want to win this generation, but I want to win more than I want the other guy to lose. I own a PS4, and it's not like I want it to get dusty or not have games. But I do want to sell a lot of Xbox Ones, and for many people that's a direct competition with the PS4. As the Xbox team, we are the underdog."

The PS4 is literally the PS2x2, so who can blame the guy? Seems like he has his mind in the right place in this interview at least. Kudos to that. Just figured, I'd twist the knife a little since Sony won Gamescom and all. ;)

so why dont you have an x1? or why do you suck so much sony dick?

#4 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@lostrib said:

This. I think Uncharted is good, but not great. I think DC is the best looking racer ever, but its graphics don't overwhelm me when compared to the content of Forza Horizon 2, which looks great in its on right. I don't care for games like Bloodborne where you die 100 times to make a bit of progress. Not my cup of tea. The Order 1886 looks promising. Not much else does, and compared to 5 absolute buys from me (Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Crackdown, Scalebound, Quantum Break) I just don't think the PS4's gaming line-up compares at all. But if and when a PS4 game grabs me and won't let go I will jump it. It having more powerful hardware doesn't compare to the better games, features, and OS on the One. So I see no need to own one yet. But I don't hate Sony and will jump in likely within the next 2 years.

#5 Posted by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

You never did answer me on whether you had a WiiU or not.

#6 Posted by Snugenz (11839 posts) -

I have a PS4 but Sony didn't win Gamescom, they were both bad with MS being slightly less so, EA was by far the worst though.

#7 Edited by santoron (7717 posts) -

Spencer generally interviews well, and I still think the guy understands the gaming community better than most that have risen to his position's level.

It's going to be interesting to see how he handles the TR media backlash as gaming journos are frantically writing angry retractions across the web. It's kind of his first real shot of adversity, and it will be telling to see how he faces it.

#8 Posted by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

I have a PS4 but Sony didn't win Gamescom, they were both bad with MS being slightly less so, EA was by far the worst though.

Haha, yeah, EAs was... terribad.

Spoiler: I said Sony won Gamescom to yank peoples chains.

#9 Posted by StormyJoe (5109 posts) -

He also has an XBox One - why don't you?

#10 Posted by clone01 (24641 posts) -

@Bishop1310 said:

Perhaps you should answer his question first.

#11 Posted by pyro1245 (739 posts) -

@lostrib said:

has no games! Another thing the Xbox and PS4 have in common.

#12 Posted by Heil68 (43933 posts) -

Phil knows what's going on...awww yeahhhh

#13 Posted by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

What's an XBox?

#14 Edited by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@Bishop1310 said:

What am I supposed to be mad at Sony about, again? I keep getting great games on the most powerful current gen console and it even came with an operating system out of the box. It's so good even Phil had to get one.

#15 Posted by clone01 (24641 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@Bishop1310 said:

What am I supposed to be mad at Sony about, again? I keep getting great games on the most powerful current gen console and it even came with an operating system out of the box. It's so good even Phil had to get one.

slurp slurp.

#16 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10167 posts) -

I have one already....it's slightly used compared to my XB1. Although I enjoyed the hell out of PT last night

#17 Edited by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

This. I think Uncharted is good, but not great. I think DC is the best looking racer ever, but its graphics don't overwhelm me when compared to the content of Forza Horizon 2, which looks great in its on right. I don't care for games like Bloodborne where you die 100 times to make a bit of progress. Not my cup of tea. The Order 1886 looks promising. Not much else does, and compared to 5 absolute buys from me (Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Crackdown, Scalebound, Quantum Break) I just don't think the PS4's gaming line-up compares at all. But if and when a PS4 game grabs me and won't let go I will jump it. It having more powerful hardware doesn't compare to the better games, features, and OS on the One. So I see no need to own one yet. But I don't hate Sony and will jump in likely within the next 2 years.

All of the PS4 games you mentioned will release by the end of 2015.

Not all of the XB1 titles you mentioned will release by the end of 2015.

The lack of a release date for QB (heck not even a year was mentioned) + the aquisiton of timed exclusiveness of Rise of the Tomb Raider implies that QB won't make it for 2015 (not surprising if one remembers how delayed Alan Wake was). Gears 4 is another 2016 or beyond game, likewise for Scalebound (PG has been working on Bayonetta for a long time and it's yet to release. I expect the same thing to happen with this. They are probably still pretty limited in "man-power"). Likewise for Crackdown, it's doubtful it'll be released in 2015. So in essense, only Halo 5 will be in the near future with 100% certainty.

So, by the end of 2016 the XB1 may or may not be a pretty interesting buy for you :P Should have bought a WiiU bro lol

#18 Posted by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@clone01 said:

slurp slurp.

Perhaps you should answer the question before servicing me like that.

#19 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1929 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

What's an XBox?

Your trolling is pretty bad TC. It was obvious form the start anyway, which made it not funny. Like those pc is the best because x threads.

Either that, or you're just really stupid.

#20 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4208 posts) -

The PS4 is literally the PS2x2

LOL Not even close. No way, no how will it ever have that many games you can only get on that platform. It's just going to be a repeat of the PS3 only this time with normal development cycles.

Amount of games aside, PS consoles aren't nearly as Japanese in identity anymore as they once were. I really feel like Playstation has lost its identity in trying to compete last gen, where as Xboxs has never really changed since the first one.

Those days are gone. The current gen consoles are just watered down PCs now that will have their own exclusives, just like last gen. For it to be the PS2x2, Xbox would have to give up, the Japanese would have to ramp up exclusive development and multiplatforms and most indie games would have to stop coming to the PC.

#21 Posted by Legend002 (7085 posts) -

Does he have a gaming PC?

#22 Edited by lglz1337 (3416 posts) -

the guy who ignores a ps4 is pretty dumb

#23 Posted by Bishop1310 (1047 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@Bishop1310 said:

why would I want you to be mad at sony? It's cool if you're not interested in a console like the X1 or it's games.. I mean it's good we have multiple consoles we can choose from if we don't like one from the other, as it creates competition which is what consumers need. When your fanboyism takes over and you hope the X1 fails you're only hurting yourself the consumer in the long run. I don't care what console you like but trying to rag on one and bash on it as much as possible in the hopes that it fails is a stupid stupid tactic if you're a fan of video games.

and I picked up a wii u when MK dropped, yes.

#24 Edited by TigerSuperman (2241 posts) -

Jack Tretton has an Xbox One, why don't you?

#25 Posted by Wasdie (49739 posts) -

But I already do have a PS4.

#26 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2877 posts) -

@lostrib said:

At the moment this. If Silent Hills is exclusive, Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 turn out great and maybe a couple of other games I may jump on board in late 2015. I'll stick with Xbone and PS3 until then.

#27 Edited by Dasein808 (450 posts) -

Because these "next-gen" offerings are disguised garbage PCs with closed ecosystems, next to no games, pay for online access, and likely decade long lifespans?

#28 Posted by cainetao11 (17284 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@Shewgenja said:

I missed EA conference? Didn't know they were having one.

#29 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8847 posts) -

I'll get one eventually for Batman Arkham Knight and Wild, but right now it's easily the weakest system of the 3 in terms of library and it won't have much anything for a while still.

Wii U and PS3 have more than enough to keep me very busy on the gaming front until late 2015 and then some.

#30 Posted by Suppaman100 (3857 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Just like PC

#31 Edited by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

#32 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7403 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Just like PC

PC has a bigger library than 360,PS3,Wii/PS4,Xbone,WiiU combined.

Try harder next time.

#33 Posted by magicalclick (22544 posts) -

To be a cow? No way.

#34 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

All of the PS4 games you mentioned will release by the end of 2015.

Not all of the XB1 titles you mentioned will release by the end of 2015.

The lack of a release date for QB (heck not even a year was mentioned) + the aquisiton of timed exclusiveness of Rise of the Tomb Raider implies that QB won't make it for 2015 (not surprising if one remembers how delayed Alan Wake was). Gears 4 is another 2016 or beyond game, likewise for Scalebound (PG has been working on Bayonetta for a long time and it's yet to release. I expect the same thing to happen with this. They are probably still pretty limited in "man-power"). Likewise for Crackdown, it's doubtful it'll be released in 2015. So in essense, only Halo 5 will be in the near future with 100% certainty.

So, by the end of 2016 the XB1 may or may not be a pretty interesting buy for you :P Should have bought a WiiU bro lol

Lol, funny. Tomb Raider will be out Holiday 2015. Halo 5 will be there. I'm willing to be Quantum Break is Fall 2015 as well. Season 2 of Killer Instinct will play out all year long. Ori will debut next year. No doubt MS has more coming that hasn't been announced, likely timed exclusives. They're fine in 2015. :)

As for the Wii-U, when Zelda debuts I will buy it and rent Bayonetta. Will beat both in a month and then sell the system for as much as I can get, lol.

#35 Posted by Snugenz (11839 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@Shewgenja said:

I missed EA conference? Didn't know they were having one.

Yeah it was on today at 10am (CEST), don't worry you really didn't miss much. Lemme see they showed, DA: I, Sims 4, that new Bioware ARPG, Fifa (a shit ton of this ZZZzzz) and Battlefield Hardline.

#36 Posted by mems_1224 (46941 posts) -

And Yoshida has 2 Wii Us. Once again Nintendo wins the generation

#37 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28380 posts) -

lol oh morons gotta love em, Phil Spencer can own every system he is quite well off.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL the ps4 is the ps2x2 lololololololololol

#38 Edited by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

And Yoshida has 2 Wii Us. Once again Nintendo wins the generation

True that. WiiU is pimpadelic like that.

#39 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1483 posts) -

@lostrib said:

they both do at this point. after watching the quantum break gameplay...it looks like a basic cover shooter. you distract enemies like in splinter cell conviction, run around them and kill them from behind. BOOORINGGG. 2013 was not a good year to get either of them. 2015 looks like the year to own a next gen console.

#40 Posted by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

Lol, funny. Tomb Raider will be out Holiday 2015. Halo 5 will be there. I'm willing to be Quantum Break is Fall 2015 as well. Season 2 of Killer Instinct will play out all year long. Ori will debut next year. No doubt MS has more coming that hasn't been announced, likely timed exclusives. They're fine in 2015. :)

As for the Wii-U, when Zelda debuts I will buy it and rent Bayonetta. Will beat both in a month and then sell the system for as much as I can get, lol.

Bunch of non-exclusives + Halo 5. Meh 2015 for XB1 :P

And I really, really doubt Quantum Break will release in 2015. Unless I've missed it, they continue to shy away from mentioning any sort of release date or window. They don't even say "coming in 2015". It's a shame, though it if makes the game better and is as good an experience as Alan Wake then it's all good in the end.

#41 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6682 posts) -

Know your enemy

#42 Posted by PapaTrop (820 posts) -

If it was PS2x2 it'd have way more good exclusive games.

It has Infamous, a game which doesn't look very fun, and that's it for.............another 6-8 months?

#43 Posted by kuu2 (7107 posts) -

When 2016 rolls around the PauperStation4 will be worth getting. Right now there is nothing compelling software wise in '14 or '15.

#44 Edited by Heil68 (43933 posts) -

#45 Posted by clone01 (24641 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@clone01 said:

slurp slurp.

0/10.

#46 Posted by clone01 (24641 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Just like PC

So you concede the PS4 lacks an interesting library?

#47 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7127 posts) -

I don't own one because I'm interested in playing the occasional game online, but I'm not interested in the "gaming as a paid service" model that PS+ offers.

#48 Edited by blackace (20548 posts) -

@Shewgenja: I'm sure Reggie Fils-Aime, Andrew House & Shuhei Yoshida all own XB1's as well. They have to see what their competitions hardware and software is all about. Many of them are gamers.

I have one already....it's slightly used compared to my XB1. Although I enjoyed the hell out of PT last night

Is it the demo or the full version of the game that's out on the PS4?

#49 Edited by Shewgenja (8758 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@clone01 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@clone01 said:

slurp slurp.

0/10.

Still waiting. I know you like to jump on me every chance you get, but I actually wanted to hear you out on this. What exactly am I fanboying out on? I chose to get a system that best fits my interests in gaming this gen. I got a WiiU for the same reason. I've been gaming on PC for the same reason as well.

Do I know that I come across as a Sony fanboy? Yes. I am aware of that. See, you have me on quote right there if that's what gives you this raging boner. Would I skip the PS4 if it was a glorified voice activated cable box with weaker specs at the same price point as something else? You bet your ass I would.

So, again, I reiterate the question. What am I supposed to be mad at Sony about? For that matter, why should I be impressed or excited about the XBone? Everything I ever said was going to happen this generation as of a year and a few months ago has come to pass. MS abandoned every policy that caused an uproar. They ditched Kinect. They are making a concerted effort to repair damaged relations with indie developers. They are completely on the back foot when it comes to future vision with things like Virtual Reality. Cloud has still yet to become more than a buzzword and DX12 is not delivering God-sauce.

TLDR: The XBone is still in a scramble to become what the PS4 was the day it was announced. You don't have to take my word for it, even, because the track record speaks for itself. So, then, why the fuck is it MY problem for just being honest with my fellow gamers on a forum? By all means, reply with something like "Slurp slurp" or "moo" to this post as well since I'm starting to suspect you have jack fuck-all to actually respond with.

#50 Posted by silversix_ (14252 posts) -

I feel like this guy knows what's up but its sad seeing him stuck with a pos console.