Phil Spencer comments on Shenmue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Batt1eRatt1e (104 posts) -

Answering to a user asking about Shenmue, he gave bad news to those that would like it to return under Xbox’s flag, but he indeed mentioned that he’s now more willing than in the past to directly offer funding for third party titles in order to retain ownership on their IP.

"I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it."

One commenter wrote back, "I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it." Sure they can. It's simply them purchasing the game from Sega. Sega has already stated they are not interested in developing the title any further, even to the point of not even allowing the creator Yu Suzuki the option to work on another title when he requested.

So I am sure a respectable offer can get them the license and even the option to bring the original games back into play as XBLA titles and then new engine HD remakes made to lead up to a 3rd installment. the press alone would make it a worthy purchase.

#2 Edited by Telekill (4329 posts) -

Glad it won't be Xbox unless they buy it. I'd love to have a Shenmue HD collection and 3 with an ending released on PS4.

#3 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17019 posts) -

lol, SEGA isn't going to give up any of their IPs. They know exactly what they're sitting on. The best you can hope for is a port of the first two games to Steam, XBLA, and PSN, because they were in the process of bringing Saturn and Dreamcast titles to those services up until the end of last gen.

#4 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Sega knows they won't get much for Shenmue and are in the Megaman Stage of knowing people will probably not buy it (difference is Sega fans are smarter than Capcom fans, literally praising the guy who killed the megaman franchise and ran it into the ground calling him a hero just because capcom won't make any more and he left.)

#5 Posted by Boddicker (2411 posts) -

Give-a-fuck-o-meter for new Shenmue = 0

#6 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

Believe

#7 Posted by Heil68 (43234 posts) -

"I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it."

#8 Edited by Batt1eRatt1e (104 posts) -

@Heil68: If they build it we will come

#9 Edited by sailor232 (4354 posts) -

Yes please, Microsoft or Sony need to buy this franchise. I would buy any system a new Shenmue or remakes are on.

#10 Posted by OhSnapitz (18026 posts) -

..by the time they release a new shenmue.. the original fanbase will have dwindled down to a vocal group of fanboys. IMHO.. they should've released the final chapter during the PS2/XB/GC era..

#11 Posted by bobbetybob (19120 posts) -

I don't understand why people want this game so much when it would almost definitely be a disappointment. If they knew how they wanted to end the story and had a solid idea they'd have done it at the time, dragging it back up 10 years later and producing a satisfying ending is highly unlikely.

#12 Posted by Telekill (4329 posts) -

@bobbetybob: For some like myself, an ending, even one that doesn't live up to expectations, is better than no ending.

Considering we've been waiting this long, if Shenmue 3 were to be in development at all, they would need to release HD versions of the first two games to reintroduce the masses and those that never got to play it originally.

#13 Posted by Bigboi500 (29124 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Glad it won't be Xbox unless they buy it. I'd love to have a Shenmue HD collection and 3 with an ending released on PS4.

This right here.

#14 Posted by Batt1eRatt1e (104 posts) -

@Bigboi500: The exact opposite for me. I want it to be an XB1 exclusive and remakes.

#15 Edited by uninspiredcup (7619 posts) -

Why doesn't the shawn-moo man go to kickstarters and make a game like it, but not it? I'm sure the money would be raised absolutely no problem,

#16 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

Answering to a user asking about Shenmue, he gave bad news to those that would like it to return under Xbox’s flag, but he indeed mentioned that he’s now more willing than in the past to directly offer funding for third party titles in order to retain ownership on their IP.

One commenter wrote back, "I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it." Sure they can. It's simply them purchasing the game from Sega. Sega has already stated they are not interested in developing the title any further, even to the point of not even allowing the creator Yu Suzuki the option to work on another title when he requested.

So I am sure a respectable offer can get them the license and even the option to bring the original games back into play as XBLA titles and then new engine HD remakes made to lead up to a 3rd installment. the press alone would make it a worthy purchase.

No. Just no.

#17 Edited by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Sega should make it multiplat. Maybe not on Wii u, but the other systems fo sho.