Phil Spencer comments on Shenmue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Batt1eRatt1e
Member since 2014 • 131 Posts

Answering to a user asking about Shenmue, he gave bad news to those that would like it to return under Xbox’s flag, but he indeed mentioned that he’s now more willing than in the past to directly offer funding for third party titles in order to retain ownership on their IP.

"I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it."

One commenter wrote back, "I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it." Sure they can. It's simply them purchasing the game from Sega. Sega has already stated they are not interested in developing the title any further, even to the point of not even allowing the creator Yu Suzuki the option to work on another title when he requested.

So I am sure a respectable offer can get them the license and even the option to bring the original games back into play as XBLA titles and then new engine HD remakes made to lead up to a 3rd installment. the press alone would make it a worthy purchase.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Glad it won't be Xbox unless they buy it. I'd love to have a Shenmue HD collection and 3 with an ending released on PS4.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

lol, SEGA isn't going to give up any of their IPs. They know exactly what they're sitting on. The best you can hope for is a port of the first two games to Steam, XBLA, and PSN, because they were in the process of bringing Saturn and Dreamcast titles to those services up until the end of last gen.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Sega knows they won't get much for Shenmue and are in the Megaman Stage of knowing people will probably not buy it (difference is Sega fans are smarter than Capcom fans, literally praising the guy who killed the megaman franchise and ran it into the ground calling him a hero just because capcom won't make any more and he left.)

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Give-a-****-o-meter for new Shenmue = 0

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Believe

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

"I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it."

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Batt1eRatt1e

@Heil68: If they build it we will come

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yes please, Microsoft or Sony need to buy this franchise. I would buy any system a new Shenmue or remakes are on.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

..by the time they release a new shenmue.. the original fanbase will have dwindled down to a vocal group of fanboys. IMHO.. they should've released the final chapter during the PS2/XB/GC era..

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

I don't understand why people want this game so much when it would almost definitely be a disappointment. If they knew how they wanted to end the story and had a solid idea they'd have done it at the time, dragging it back up 10 years later and producing a satisfying ending is highly unlikely.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@bobbetybob: For some like myself, an ending, even one that doesn't live up to expectations, is better than no ending.

Considering we've been waiting this long, if Shenmue 3 were to be in development at all, they would need to release HD versions of the first two games to reintroduce the masses and those that never got to play it originally.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Telekill said:

Glad it won't be Xbox unless they buy it. I'd love to have a Shenmue HD collection and 3 with an ending released on PS4.

This right here.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Batt1eRatt1e

@Bigboi500: The exact opposite for me. I want it to be an XB1 exclusive and remakes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Why doesn't the shawn-moo man go to kickstarters and make a game like it, but not it? I'm sure the money would be raised absolutely no problem,

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@batt1eratt1e said:

Answering to a user asking about Shenmue, he gave bad news to those that would like it to return under Xbox’s flag, but he indeed mentioned that he’s now more willing than in the past to directly offer funding for third party titles in order to retain ownership on their IP.

One commenter wrote back, "I know there is lots of Shenmue love out there, but it’s a Sega game, we can’t build it." Sure they can. It's simply them purchasing the game from Sega. Sega has already stated they are not interested in developing the title any further, even to the point of not even allowing the creator Yu Suzuki the option to work on another title when he requested.

So I am sure a respectable offer can get them the license and even the option to bring the original games back into play as XBLA titles and then new engine HD remakes made to lead up to a 3rd installment. the press alone would make it a worthy purchase.

No. Just no.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Sega should make it multiplat. Maybe not on Wii u, but the other systems fo sho.