Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Microsoft GDC party criticised for exotic dancers, Phil Spencer apologises

Microsoft came under fire last night as a corporate-sponsored GDC party made numerous attendees feel unwelcome due to the presence of exotic dancers dressed as scantily-clad schoolgirls.

Various video game developers found Microsoft's use of exotic dancers at what should be an event for people of all stripes to be deeply offensive.

Here's a selection of choice tweets regarding the event:

Brianna Wu: Extremely disappointed @Microsoft and @Xbox hired women wearing these outfits to perform at @gdc. PLEASE RT. pic.twitter.com/JYFTTGdzQk

Another person: Ehhhhh I feel so icky about this because I was at Microsoft’s Women in Games Luncheon and now feel deceivespd...

A woman: This is how the games industry excludes women: By pretending we don't exist and having dev parties with strippers.

For its part, head of Xbox Phil Spencer sent out an industry-wide e-mail apologising for this. He calls Microsoft's decision to hire exotic dancers at a supposedly professional industry event "unequivocally wrong" and noted that "this matter is being handled internally". You can read his full statement on the party below:

"How we show up as an organisation is incredibly important to me. We want to build and reflect the culture of TEAM XBOX - internally and externally - a culture that each one of us can represent with pride. An inclusive culture has a direct impact on the products and services we deliver and the perception consumers have of the Xbox brand and our company, as a whole.

It has come to my attention that at Xbox-hosted events at GDC this past week, we represented Xbox and Microsoft in a way that was absolutely not consistent or aligned to our values. That was unequivocally wrong and will not be tolerated. This matter is being handled internally, but let me be very clear - how we represent ourselves as individuals, who we hire and partner with and how we engage with others is a direct reflection of our brand and what we stand for. When we do the opposite, and create an environment that alienates or offends any group, we justly deserve the criticism.

"It's unfortunate that such events could take place in a week where we worked so hard to engage the many different gaming communities in the exact opposite way. I am personally committed to ensuring that diversity and inclusion is central to our everyday business and our core values as a team - inside and outside the company. We need to hold ourselves to higher standards and we will do better in the future."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-18-microsoft-gdc-party-criticised-for-exotic-dancers-phil-spencer-apologises

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

These are my thoughts which I left in the comments here on GameSpot.

I am so sick of this PC culture coddling, if you don't like something then just ignore it.. I hate how we cater to people so much that fall into the minority and are vocal about wanting everything their way.

You're uncomfortable? Then leave, if a bear is about to attack me I don't try to form a dialog with it hoping it will understand my discomfort with the present situation, I take my ass somewhere else. People seem to intentionally put themselves and keep themselves in situations that make them uncomfortable just so they can bitch instead of doing what us normal and well adjusted humans do, leave the situation.

I can see the unprofessionalism to what took place here, but I think the means in which it is being handled is only serving to reinforce these pathetic 21st century values that have sprung up from the internet in the last 8 years or so. Be an adult, understand that not everything you dislike needs to be changed, accept things for what they are, what other people like and if they're doing it allow them to.

Just because it's affecting you doesn't mean it has to, you have a choice to exit the situation but are refusing to do so to seek attention and selfishly get your way and force your views upon everyone else.

I am beginning to hate the United States, it's becoming a contradiction of its rights, bills and values and allowing people to take away all of the above because they want a safe space.. What a bunch of fake attention seeking pansies...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Pff

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It's hard to comment without being there and seeing the context in which the dancers were performing, but it does seem a bit out of place.

But if people were offended by it, I guess it's good that MS acknowledged it.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dynamitecop

@hrt_rulz01 said:

It's hard to comment without being there and seeing the context in which the dancers were performing, but it does seem a bit out of place.

Feminists and people with half shaved heads were offended, no one else.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Probably the stupidest fucking thing I've seen people rage over lately. If MS wasn't involved this wouldn't be a story.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Should have hired exotic male dancers...question why bother hiring exotic dancers to begin with?...they should have known it will blow back on them..in the age of everything is offensive to anyone and everyone. :P

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dynamitecop

@superbuuman said:

Should have hired exotic male dancers...question why bother hiring exotic dancers to begin with?...they should have known it will blow back on them..in the age of everything is offensive to anyone and everyone. :P

It shouldn't matter what their profession is, they weren't stripping, this is no different than hiring go-go dancers or booth girls which everyone seems to do and is not bitched at for it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@superbuuman: they weren't exotic dancers.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Probably the stupidest fucking thing I've seen people rage over lately. If MS wasn't involved this wouldn't be a story.

It's trendy to hate on Microsoft, just read news about people getting butthurt because MS isn't providing win10 mobile updates for their old phone models, this is obviously not something that happens with android/apple devices..

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dynamitecop

@howmakewood said:
@mems_1224 said:

It's trendy to hate on Microsoft, just read news about people getting butthurt because MS isn't providing win10 mobile updates for their old phone models, this is obviously not something that happens with android/apple devices..

It's a Napoleon complex of people wanting to take on the biggest kid on the block, simply being in the position Microsoft is makes them a target for this crap. These losers feel some sense of accomplishment for trying to take them on in some David and Goliath type battle, worst of all Phil Spencer is sympathizing with them, the best thing to do was to handle it internally and not say a fucking word about it. The act of even acknowledging this and worst yet an apology for it gives these SJW's ammunition and fuel to the fire, if you ignore them they will go away, they feed on the attention of looking wounded and getting responses.

Pariah-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pariah-
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

Oh for crying out loud. Are you mouth-breathers really trying to turn this into a "Woe is Microsoft! They're unfairly targeted!" issue?

SJWs are the bane of everyone's existence. Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony--they will take a shot at whoever they can because that's how professional victims and special interests make money.

The irony here is that these are the exact people that Gates employs and utilizes in his Crony-sphere of influence to weasel his way into every form of media and government to expand gamification, et al.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Not very professional actually. Ah well. MS does entertain this gen.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

What a surprise, SJWs whining about non-issues again. If they are so offended, maybe they should just move to mars and start a new colony over there.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dynamitecop

@thepclovingguy said:

What a surprise, SJWs whining about non-issues again. If they are so offended, maybe they should just move to mars and start a new colony over there.

Only six more years...

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

MS is making this a much bigger deal than it is.....go go dancers oh no! Grow up people.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

"This matter is being handled internally, but let me be very clear - how we represent ourselves as individuals, who we hire and partner with and how we engage with others is a direct reflection of our brand and what we stand for. When we do the opposite, and create an environment that alienates or offends any group, we justly deserve the criticism."

You can't cater to everyone.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dynamitecop

@Ant_17 said:

"This matter is being handled internally, but let me be very clear - how we represent ourselves as individuals, who we hire and partner with and how we engage with others is a direct reflection of our brand and what we stand for. When we do the opposite, and create an environment that alienates or offends any group, we justly deserve the criticism."

You can't cater to everyone.

Yep...

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

MS are perverts lol

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#21 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

More Fake Outrage. Objectification of women, they make it seem like they were forced on stage with chains on their legs.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dynamitecop

@flyincloud1116 said:

More Fake Outrage. Objectification of women, they make it seem like they were forced on stage with chains on their legs.

Exactly, and they blame Microsoft, Microsoft isn't doing anything, they hired girls to provide a service which they provide naturally, if anything these girls are objectifying themselves because they know it's financially lucrative, the same reason all these female Twitch streamers have popped up.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Feminists and people with half shaved heads were offended, no one else.

I shave my head. I wouldn't have been offended by it. However, if I had seen some females there that were I would have felt bad for them. Now I see the point you have made in your previous post about taking your ass out of said place. But your bear analogy is ridiculous. What separates us from that bear is the ability to dialogue with each other. None of the tweets in the OP shared whether they stayed or not. Maybe those women did leave and just tweeted the why. Nobody lost any freedoms. None of us know if there was forewarning to whether there would be dancers at this or not. If there was, then I say to those offended, you knew better, **** off. If there wasn't? Well criticism is deserved.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

No respect for M$. Not because they hired the dancers but because they apologized for it. Why would you apologize for some hot dancers? Try growing a pair and not being a politically correct punk Phil.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Why would you apologize for something you meant to do?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cainetao11

@flyincloud1116 said:

Why would you apologize for something you meant to do?

Are we sure he did? Was this organized by Spencer? "It has come to my attention....." can be him separating himself from the event or he honestly didn't know that some underling in charge of this particular event hired dancers. Was there forewarning of the goings on at the party before hand?

You know as bad as the SJW are made out to be, the people in this forum that come to conclusions with little to no questions asked not to mention answers are just as annoying not to mention ignorant.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

I shave my head. I wouldn't have been offended by it.

I think it's this what he meant.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Nice! Go microsoft!

They know how to put on a show, i wish i was there!

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dynamitecop

@freedomfreak said:
@cainetao11 said:

That's exactly what I meant.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

SJW jealousy, nothing more. I'll bet those dancers were paid pretty well for doing a job they most likely love doing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cainetao11

@dynamitecop said:
@freedomfreak said:
@cainetao11 said:

That's exactly what I meant.

I am aware you did. I was trying to start off with a little humor. Or a failed attempt evidently.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@flyincloud1116: An exceptional point my friend. Throughout time be it geishas in Japan, concubines in the Middle East or Queens using breeding to intertwine bloodlines and countries, woman have always used their body as an empowering means of advancement.

This Harry Potter girl with the kit-kat eyebrows is probably upset she's unattractive to men.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Political correctness is destroying America.

Nothing wrong went on.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Ugly people being offended by everything. More at 11.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Another thing that Brianna Wu is offended by. Next thing she'll get offended by is a local high school girl being picked last in gym class dodgeball game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

It was kind of an odd choice for the event, but it's pretty uncool that they got slammed so hard over it... If you don't like it fucking ignore it, this everyone who is offended gets their way thing is really tiring

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@mems_1224: always the victim

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

These are my thoughts which I left in the comments here on GameSpot.

I am so sick of this PC culture coddling, if you don't like something then just ignore it.. I hate how we cater to people so much that fall into the minority and are vocal about wanting everything their way.

You're uncomfortable? Then leave, if a bear is about to attack me I don't try to form a dialog with it hoping it will understand my discomfort with the present situation, I take my ass somewhere else. People seem to intentionally put themselves and keep themselves in situations that make them uncomfortable just so they can bitch instead of doing what us normal and well adjusted humans do, leave the situation.

I can see the unprofessionalism to what took place here, but I think the means in which it is being handled is only serving to reinforce these pathetic 21st century values that have sprung up from the internet in the last 8 years or so. Be an adult, understand that not everything you dislike needs to be changed, accept things for what they are, what other people like and if they're doing it allow them to.

Just because it's affecting you doesn't mean it has to, you have a choice to exit the situation but are refusing to do so to seek attention and selfishly get your way and force your views upon everyone else.

I am beginning to hate the United States, it's becoming a contradiction of its rights, bills and values and allowing people to take away all of the above because they want a safe space.. What a bunch of fake attention seeking pansies...

The **** are you talking about? Some people thought it was offensive and inappropriate, so they complained about it. Big ****ing deal. People are SUPPOSED to complain when they see something they don't like. When people didn't like Microsoft's initial "X-Box One is always online" policy, were they supposed to just shut the hell up and not say they had a problem with it?

"Be an adult, understand that not everything you dislike needs to be changed, accept things for what they are, what other people like and if they're doing it allow them to."

Microsoft was and is allowed to hire exotic dancers for such events. No one needs to allow them to do so, Microsoft can do what it wants.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Haha cant take a step without you offending some party.

How did it go again?

Optimist : Glass is half-full.

Pessimist : Glass is half empty.

SJWs/feminist : Glass is being raped objectified and I feel alienated.

Yeah SJWs...that people.

If the gogo dancers were built guys, would these princesses care? At the most, people will just think its a little weird and Phil Spencer won't even have to apologise for it. I understand its a party after all?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

It's pretty shocking to think someone was stupid enough to do this especially given the currently climate on the subject.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Ugh, I hate Political Correctness so much. I can't wait for this PC culture that has become so extreme over the past few years to finally end.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69414 Posts

The irony of majority of the responses in this thread is hilarious.

Political Correctness is destroying America? <----Asinine statement.

Our freedom is being taken away? <---- You are free to complain about the complainers as they are free to complain about whatever they want.

If you don't like it leave. <---- The same logic can be applied to the people complaining about the complainers. But this is so shortsighted that its ridiculous that its being used as a counter argument. :|

It seems like a very specific group of individuals are always up in arms when sexism or racism is brought up. They are deeply offended by others being offended. They reserve the right to say what they want once its not offensive to them. Rather childish and void of "adult" responsibilities. "Why can't I be insensitive without repercussions. Life is unfair. Wa Wa Wa".

MS made a poor choice in hiring these dancers. Its stupid and out of place. This is a professional conference and dancers at this events is not professional. That fact still remains and any other padded reasoning against it simply intensifies the poor decision.

Agash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Agash28
Member since 2015 • 88 Posts

They shouldn't have apoligized unless Phil didn't organize it to happen but still...people can complain but to actually apologize for something that shouldn't be apologized for...those women got paid, they wanted to do it. Heck, they probably like it too...being PC* is so not cool. Ever watch the new season of South Park....that's what this reminds me of.

*PC = Politically Correct

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrGeezer

@agash28 said:

They shouldn't have apoligized unless Phil didn't organize it to happen but still...people can complain but to actually apologize for something that shouldn't be apologized for...those women got paid, they wanted to do it. Heck, they probably like it too...being PC* is so not cool. Ever watch the new season of South Park....that's what this reminds me of.

If Microsoft didn't think it was in their best interests to apologize, then they wouldn't have apologized. This is just standard public relations. Are people seriously so delusional that they expect companies to deliberately piss off their customers and clients just to make an anti-PC/anti-SJW statement?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Hope he apologies for the 720p in QB as well.

Agash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Agash28

@MrGeezer said:
@agash28 said:

If Microsoft didn't think it was in their best interests to apologize, then they wouldn't have apologized. This is just standard public relations. Are people seriously so delusional that they expect companies to deliberately piss off their customers and clients just to make an anti-PC/anti-SJW statement?

I get what your saying but I'm confused on whether this GDC party is professional or just a simple party?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrGeezer

@agash28 said:

I get what your saying but I'm confused on whether this GDC party is professional or just a simple party?

I'm pretty sure it was a professional industry party. That it was attended by people in the industry and that it's therefore probably a good idea for Microsoft to give off the appearance of professionalism.

Agash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Agash28

@MrGeezer: Oh that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.