Peter Molyneux says that the Xbox One's Kinect is "a joke."

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by arkephonic (6393 posts) -

Link

22cans founder and Fable creator Peter Molyneux expects Microsoft will release Xbox One without Kinect eventually, because, as he puts it, the device "feels more and more like a joke."

Speaking with Edge, Molyneux said, “I actually wish Kinect wasn’t a requirement. It feels like an unnecessary add-on to me. Maybe it’s because we’re in England, and it doesn’t really use the TV stuff, but it feels more and more like a joke. My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn’t work."

He also sees the removal of Kinect as an effective cost-cutting measure for Xbox One, allowing the system to reduce its $500 USD price point. "I’m sure [Microsoft is] going to release an Xbox One without Kinect," he said. "It would be unthinkable that they wouldn’t.”

Recently, Molyneux told IGN that Nintendo was a company that had "lost its way," but advised consumers "never to underestimate Nintendo."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't agree more, hahahah!

#2 Edited by lostrib (36951 posts) -

Didn't this guy make two kinect games...after driving the fable series and Black and white into the ground

#3 Edited by arkephonic (6393 posts) -
@lostrib said:

Didn't this guy make two kinect games...after driving the fable series and Black and white into the ground

I've been trying to explain how Kinect is a joke and is absolutely worthless when it comes to video games. An actual developer who's made games using Kinect would know better than anyone, though. The only reason any developer would say Kinect isn't a joke is because they are getting paid by M$ to say otherwise.

#4 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7788 posts) -

The only time Peter makes a valid point.

#5 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10557 posts) -

My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn’t work."

KInect doesn't work like that, Peter

#6 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4781 posts) -

peter molyneux does have a lot of credibility, but so does peter molyneux, and peter molyneux is on the record saying that he loves kinect. so suck it peter molyneux, peter molyneux totally schooled peter molyneux.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/peter-molyneux-kinect/

my serious opinion on the matter - any man who can be bought and sold like that needs a-whoring out.

#7 Posted by m3dude1 (1312 posts) -

kinect is a joke, scrap that shit. nintendo is also a joke

#8 Posted by arkephonic (6393 posts) -
@CrownKingArthur said:

peter molyneux does have a lot of credibility, but so does peter molyneux, and peter molyneux is on the record saying that he loves kinect. so suck it peter molyneux, peter molyneux totally schooled peter molyneux.

my serious opinion on the matter - any man who can be bought and sold like that needs a-whoring out.

He was probably just trying to promote his game or something. It's funny how the truth comes out when you don't have a $$$ incentive.

#9 Posted by lostrib (36951 posts) -

@arkephonic said:
@lostrib said:

I've been trying to explain how Kinect is a joke and is absolutely worthless when it comes to video games. An actual developer who's made games using Kinect would know better than anyone, though. The only reason any developer would say Kinect isn't a joke is because they are getting paid by M$ to say otherwise.

Except he's not talking about it in relation to video games

#10 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10557 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

I think Peter Molyneux is so deep in the forest he can't see the trees.

He'll make a good point and explain his reasoning...maybe he blames Kinect for his games being progressively worse

"I don't know what your opinion is of Kinect or whether you think it's going to work or not work. The blogs and general reaction from the world seems to be in doubt that any title can use Kinect controls. People have concerns like, 'I don't want to leap around like a lunatic, I want to relax on the couch, I want to concentrate on the game rather than what gestures I use.' We happen to love Kinect, we think it's a great tool for telling a fantastic story, and I'd like during these next few minutes to prove that."

#11 Edited by lostrib (36951 posts) -

@arkephonic said:
@CrownKingArthur said:

He was probably just trying to promote his game or something. It's funny how the truth comes out when you don't have a $$$ incentive.

so why should we believe him now?

#12 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7788 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

kinect is a joke, scrap that shit. nintendo is also a joke

And Sony too, with all their movies and re-releases. Such jokes.

#13 Edited by arkephonic (6393 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@CrownKingArthur said:

Because now he has no incentive, nothing to gain. Before he was promoting his own video game, but now he has nothing to lose. Unless, is Peter currently working on a Kinect title? I don't think he is.

People always lie when they work for a specific company and praise them to the high heavens. It isn't until they part ways when the truth comes out. You're acting like this is some kind of obscure and rare opinion he has. Last time I checked, 99.9% of people think Kinect is a joke, lol. The other .1% are M$ employees or people who bought the thing and are scared to death of buyer's remorse.

#14 Posted by highking_kallor (524 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@CrownKingArthur said:

Because now he has no incentive, nothing to gain. Before he was promoting his own video game, but now he has nothing to lose. Unless, is Peter currently working on a Kinect title? I don't think he is.

People always lie when they work for a specific company and praise them to the high heavens. It isn't until they part ways when the truth comes out. You're acting like this is some kind of obscure and rare opinion he has. Last time I checked, 99.9% of people think Kinect is a joke, lol. The other .1% are M$ employees or people who bought the thing and are scared to death of buyer's remorse.

If my company told me to lie they would have my resignation letter on their desk instead. No one can force you to lie it’s always up to the individual. I guess not all of us still have honour. If he fibbed once your foolish to believe him now.

#15 Posted by arkephonic (6393 posts) -
@highking_kallor said:

@arkephonic said:

@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@CrownKingArthur said:

If my company told me to lie they would have my resignation letter on their desk instead. No one can force you to lie it’s always up to the individual. I guess not all of us still have honour. If he fibbed once your foolish to believe him now.

Fact of the matter is, he has no reason to lie now, no incentive. On top of that, I 100% agree with him and I consider myself a very logical person. I can think of a thousand reasons why the Kinect is a joke. I see this as a very sensible statement by him and it really makes no sense how he'd be lying. The only obvious lie is ANYONE saying Kinect ISN'T a joke.

#16 Posted by highking_kallor (524 posts) -

@arkephonic said:
@highking_kallor said:

@arkephonic said:

@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@CrownKingArthur said:

Fact of the matter is, he has no reason to lie now, no incentive. On top of that, I 100% agree with him and I consider myself a very logical person. I can think of a thousand reasons why the Kinect is a joke. I see this as a very sensible statement by him and it really makes no sense how he'd be lying. The only obvious lie is ANYONE saying Kinect ISN'T a joke.

I agree the kinect is a joke. I don't agree that you can trust what this guy says.

#17 Edited by arkephonic (6393 posts) -
@highking_kallor said:

@arkephonic said:
@highking_kallor said:

@arkephonic said:

@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@CrownKingArthur said:

I agree the kinect is a joke. I don't agree that you can trust what this guy says.

I didn't even read that other link. At the end of the day, the link I posted was posted today, April 9th 2014. People change their minds. There's a possibility that maybe he never lied. That said, if he did lie, saying the opposite would be the truth, right? If I hear ANYONE say that Kinect is awesome for gaming, I think they're either stupid or lying. It's a hell of a lot easier to believe someone is telling the truth when they say something along the lines of, "Kinect is a joke".

#18 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10557 posts) -

@arkephonic said:
@highking_kallor said:

Molyneux didn't have to "lie" to begin with, he did so of his own accord.

Frankly, your opinion doesn't validate Peter's most recent statement. Nor does anyone who states the inverse. The only fact here is that Peter has flip-flopped his opinion of Kinect. He said, when working at Big Blue Box, that he loved Kinect, now he claims Kinect is a joke...who is to say what he will say tomorrow?

#19 Posted by xhawk27 (7314 posts) -

Never count out MS either Fools!

#20 Posted by mems_1224 (47135 posts) -

Old news is old

#21 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3074 posts) -

There is already a thread on Molyneux's thoughts on Kinect.