Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax Hype Thread (56k)

• 70 results
#1 Edited by charizard1605 (57664 posts) -

PERSONA 4 ARENA ULTIMAX

Developer: Arc Systems, Atlus

Publisher: Atlus

Systems: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Release Date: August 28, 2014 (Japan), September 30, 2014 (North America)

What is it?

Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax is the sequel to Persona 4 Arena, which in turn was a canonical sequel to Persona 4. Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax brings together the cast of Persona 3 and Persona 4 together one final time, as the mystery of P-1 Grand Prix is finally resolved in a new tournament, called the P-1 Climax, and the story from Persona 3 and Persona 4 finally comes to a close.

More importantly, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is fan service of the highest degree. We are talking about a game that features all your favorite characters from Persona 3 and Persona 4, and features numerous callbacks and references to both of those games. If you enjoyed Persona 3 and Persona 4, and found yourself wanting more, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is the game for you.

Mostly, think of this as the Super Smash Bros. for Persona- it features all your favorite characters, locations, music, and references to previous games, in one, no holds barred fighter.

Who's In It?

The roster of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a fan's wet dream come true, and features such fan favorites as Margaret, Elizabeth, and most of all, Adachi.

The full character roster is:

• Yu Narukami
  • Yosuke Hanamura
  • Chie Satonaka
  • Yukiko Amagi
  • Kanji Tatsumi
  • Rise Kujikawa
  • Naoto Shirogane
  • Teddie
  • Junpei Iori
  • Aegis
  • Labrys
  • Elizabeth
  • Margaret
  • Marie
  • Tohru Adachi
  • Mitsuru Kirijo
  • Ken Amada and Koromaru
  • Akihiko Sanada
  • Yukari Takeba
  • Sho Minazuki

In addition, some, although not all, characters will have Shadow forms too.

How does it play?

Like a fighting game. Seriously, how would you think it would play?

Since Persona 4 Arena is developed by Arc Systems, it's a highly technical fighter that requires a high degree of precision (although it's still not as demanding as some of Arc's other works).

DLC

It's a fighting game, so of course you would expect Persona 4 Arena Ultimax to have some DLC. Notably, Tohru Adachi and Marie are both DLC characters- albeit you can get them for free during the first week following the game's release.

In Japan, Atlus is also including DLC along with the game that basically includes the entire story of the first game within it, meaning you would be able to jump straight into Ultimax without needing to play Arena- however, this has not yet been confirmed for the west,although chances of it being confirmed are pretty high.

If you do want to jump into Ultimax, though, playing Arena, or at the very least watching Story Mode videos on Youtube, beforehand is highly recommended.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (57664 posts) -

VIDEOS

REVIEWS

-To be announced-

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (57664 posts) -

THE HYPE:

AAAA

-

AAA

-

AA

charizard1605

A

-

BELOW A

-

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12882 posts) -

Been a while since we had one of these.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12882 posts) -

I'm reffering to hype threads.

#6 Edited by lostrib (36951 posts) -

I guess I'll say 8

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (57664 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I guess I'll say 8

Er, yes, don't watch those videos unless you've finished Persona 4 Golden.

Actually, just... stay away from this game (and from Arena) unless you've finished Persona 4 proper.

#8 Edited by lamprey263 (23899 posts) -

I love the Persona games, and I had a lot of fun with Arena when I played it at my friends house. Even liked the Persona 4 anime a lot. But, I dunno, I'm not to psyched wanting to get this, at least not anytime soon. Maybe I'll wait until they come up with a collection that includes both games story modes and characters and all the features plus any DLC that's release along the way. Money's tight, and I'd rather hold onto it for upcoming games like Bayonetta 2 and Persona Q.

But, maybe I'll get Arena, I think it's only $10 on PSN for the flash sale.

#9 Posted by yokofox33 (29662 posts) -

Well snap. Here I was going to pick this game up eventually, and then I realized I need to play the first Arena game to follow the story. Only reason I never got the first game is because I'm terrible at fighting games and didn't realize there was a heavy story involved.

#10 Posted by darkspineslayer (19685 posts) -

Fuck it, AAA. Dis gun b gud

#11 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26502 posts) -

Still gatta beat the first one. Though ill get this one eventually.

#12 Posted by Aljosa23 (24945 posts) -

Whoa they made a sequel? Did not know.

#13 Posted by which_wich (197 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I'm reffering to hype threads.

Possibly the worst hype thread I've ever seen. I didn't know hype threads were supposed to make you want to sell your console and move to a small country in Africa. No worries, guys. The Destiny Hype Thread is still in the works. I'm about 25% done but I also have to work otherwise my roommates will kick me out.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12882 posts) -

@which_wich

I love in Africa, its not bad. Anyway like I said, I havent seen one around here since last year. Something's wrong with gamespot.

#15 Posted by funsohng (27888 posts) -

#NoVitaNoBuy.

#16 Posted by cainetao11 (17550 posts) -

Is it japanime?

#17 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5525 posts) -

Chie = Below A

#18 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

My hype: AAA.5

Main: Aigis

Second: Ken & Koromaru

Get ready DSS. It gunn b gud.

#19 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25351 posts) -

Lame Hype thread Char. You didn't even post the best part!

Preorder the game and you get a Teddie Bop Bag and The First set of the Tarot cards! FOR NO EXTRA PRICE!

PersonAlly I'd preorder for the Tarot cards since the 2nd set is coming with Persona Q and I got that preordered as well.

#20 Edited by darkspineslayer (19685 posts) -

@bbkkristian: awwwww yeah. Can you handle all the shadow yosuke action that will go down?

#21 Posted by Zassimick (6540 posts) -

Great. Now I want to replay P4G.

Thanks a lot. Jerk...

#22 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25351 posts) -

@Zassimick said:

Great. Now I want to replay P4G.

Thanks a lot. Jerk...

Actually this reminds me that Arena kinda ruins Golden's Perfect ending.

#23 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9513 posts) -

8/10

will be my GOTY though.

#24 Posted by commonfate (12373 posts) -

Hyping it as A

#25 Posted by Zassimick (6540 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Actually this reminds me that Arena kinda ruins Golden's Perfect ending.

Well I didn't get the perfect ending on my first run so it doesn't even matter. :P I watched it online though, was happier with the ending I got.

Oh, and I'll hype it as AA , and I might pick this up in the future. Just picked up Injustice: Ultimate Edition for PS4 and that fills my fighting game quota for the next 3 or 4 years.

#26 Posted by darkspineslayer (19685 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: The golden ending takes place after the events of the arena games. It even references the games in an offhanded way. Can't say I get what's ruined.

#27 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25351 posts) -
@darkspineslayer said:

@LegatoSkyheart: The golden ending takes place after the events of the arena games. It even references the games in an offhanded way. Can't say I get what's ruined.

Yeah, but playing Arena I felt that it should have had a little bit more impact on the ending than what is shown in Golden.

As my Hype I'll say AA.

#28 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2675 posts) -

I am not into fighting games but i am gonna give this one a try,only cause i love persona 4 so much.

#29 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5237 posts) -

You know what? Not even hyped.

#30 Posted by Junsei (696 posts) -

Hmm sometimes i dont understand system wars. i guess this fighter gets cred here due to a good RPG series it has. as good as this fighter is... its gonna fly right under the radar due to other more popular fighters being played right now. Under night in birth, BlazBlue, UDOA5, UMVC3, TTT2, the upcoming guilty gear xrd, MKX and of course USF4 are the only fighters being talked about on a daily basis. sadly persona is gonna be forgotten. its gonna be good.... ill hype it a A but im not buying it. someone will bring it to a gaming lounge for a few days.... that's about it

#31 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3760 posts) -

It's very far from what I want from the SMT series.

A spiritual successor to Nocturne would probably force me to buy whatever system it was released on though.

#32 Posted by charizard1605 (57664 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

A spiritual successor to Nocturne would probably force me to buy whatever system it was released on though.

You should have a 3DS or a DS by now, then :p

#33 Edited by Gue1 (9981 posts) -

@Junsei said:

Hmm sometimes i dont understand system wars. i guess this fighter gets cred here due to a good RPG series it has. as good as this fighter is... its gonna fly right under the radar due to other more popular fighters being played right now. Under night in birth, BlazBlue, UDOA5, UMVC3, TTT2, the upcoming guilty gear xrd, MKX and of course USF4 are the only fighters being talked about on a daily basis. sadly persona is gonna be forgotten. its gonna be good.... ill hype it a A but im not buying it. someone will bring it to a gaming lounge for a few days.... that's about it

there was a lot of hype for Persona last year but it died down like a month after Evo and then the game was completely gone from the scene. And I really do not understand the hype behind Under Night when there are much more superior fighting games out there like Persona Arena. UDOA5 is dead though just like SFxT although the latter is still the most played fighting game online because its netcode is really good.

If only Capcom put the same effort in all its fighting games when it came to the online because both UMvC3 and SFII HD Remix are really laggy. SFIV, MvC2 and 3rd Strike are better. SFxT is their best, especially on PS3, which is weird. SFxT is the only fighting game from Capcom that is actually superior on PS3 because is not missing any frames and has the superior online too. (edit: "not missing frames" but lagging frames while 360 versions don't have Vsync, so it skips frames thus avoiding the lag present on PS3)

#34 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3760 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

You should have a 3DS or a DS by now, then :p

I enjoyed Devil Survivor 1 very much, but it's not quite the same as Nocturne :)

Strange Journey felt a little too dungeon crawley for me but I did'nt give it much of a chance. I just realized that there's an SMT4 on the 3DS, have you tried that one out? I guess I could buy it for my little sister, who is my surrogate 3DS owner ;)

#35 Edited by Suppaman100 (3910 posts) -

Arena was an OK game, don't really care about the spin offs.

Just give us P5.

#36 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17683 posts) -

Let me know when you do a hype thread for persona 4 dancing all night

#37 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3760 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

That's all the hype that game needs.

#38 Posted by charizard1605 (57664 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

I enjoyed Devil Survivor 1 very much, but it's not quite the same as Nocturne :)

Strange Journey felt a little too dungeon crawley for me but I did'nt give it much of a chance. I just realized that there's an SMT4 on the 3DS, have you tried that one out? I guess I could buy it for my little sister, who is my surrogate 3DS owner ;)

SMT4 and Strange Journey were the ones I was talking about lol (although Devil Survivor is great too!)

I like SMT4 a lot. From what I understand, it channels more of SMT2 than Nocturne, but it's a really neat game, with the press Turn system returning with improvements, some real 3D exploration, and a story that I personally found really oppressive and intriguing. I think you should give it a shot.

@Suppaman100 said:

Arena was an OK game, don't really care about the spin offs.

Just give us P5.

TGS, my friend. TGS.

@SolidGame_basic said:

I will in fact do a hype thread for it, because believe it or not, after P5, that's the Persona game I am most excited for.

#39 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7788 posts) -

Persona 4 sucks. Sucks real bad. Such a awful franchise.

:P

#40 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3760 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

SMT4 and Strange Journey were the ones I was talking about lol (although Devil Survivor is great too!)

I like SMT4 a lot. From what I understand, it channels more of SMT2 than Nocturne, but it's a really neat game, with the press Turn system returning with improvements, some real 3D exploration, and a story that I personally found really oppressive and intriguing. I think you should give it a shot.

Thanks man. Next friday is payday, so my sister might just get get a new game :)

I assume you're saying that I should give strange Journey another chance too. I did'nt get far beyond the introduction and that's practically never fair to an rpg.

Edit:

It may be nitpicking but I really enjoy the 3D exploration and you comment about the story being oppressive really sparks my interest.

#41 Edited by SonicNextGen2 (3449 posts) -

AAA, it's Persona 4's concluding story, people will love it.

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (57664 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Thanks man. Next friday is payday, so my sister might just get get a new game :)

I assume you're saying that I should give strange Journey another chance too. I did'nt get far beyond the introduction and that's practically never fair to an rpg.

Edit:

It may be nitpicking but I really enjoy the 3D exploration and you comment about the story being oppressive really sparks my interest.

Well, Strange Journey really is just a series of dungeon crawls, and it doesn't have press Turn either (which was Nocturne's defining feature alongside 3D exploration, right?) so you might not necessarily care for it. I say just go for SMT4, though yes, in that case, I would warn you that the game has a long introductory portion, which might completely turn you off and subvert anything that SMT is known for doing. Stick with it a little more, though, and then the true scope of the story and of what is going on is revealed.

I know a lot of people who care for 3D exploration, thankfully SMT4 does that (although, fair warning, battles are first person, albeit they retain Press Turn).

#43 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3760 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Edit:

Well, Strange Journey really is just a series of dungeon crawls, and it doesn't have press Turn either (which was Nocturne's defining feature alongside 3D exploration, right?) so you might not necessarily care for it. I say just go for SMT4, though yes, in that case, I would warn you that the game has a long introductory portion, which might completely turn you off and subvert anything that SMT is known for doing. Stick with it a little more, though, and then the true scope of the story and of what is going on is revealed.

I know a lot of people who care for 3D exploration, thankfully SMT4 does that (although, fair warning, battles are first person, albeit they retain Press Turn).

Sounds good to me. I did make it through Divinity: OS's confusion and it sounds right up my alley.

Thanks matey, I shall definitely give SMT4 a shot :)

#44 Posted by FinalFighters (1478 posts) -

@funsohng said:

#NoVitaNoBuy.

#45 Edited by which_wich (197 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@which_wich

I love in Africa, its not bad. Anyway like I said, I havent seen one around here since last year. Something's wrong with gamespot.

I haven't made one in a while. The last one I made was this one: GT6 Hype Thread

#46 Posted by lostrib (36951 posts) -

@which_wich said:

Possibly the worst hype thread I've ever seen. I didn't know hype threads were supposed to make you want to sell your console and move to a small country in Africa. No worries, guys. The Destiny Hype Thread is still in the works. I'm about 25% done but I also have to work otherwise my roommates will kick me out.

Someone thinks highly of himself

Hopefully someone makes a Destiny hype thread before you

#47 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

@darkspineslayer: Is it just me, or do these preview vids make this game look MUCH harder to pull off combos than the last game? I saw yosuke's preview vid and yu's preview vid and I was shocked on how different and complex their combos looked. O_O lol

#48 Posted by which_wich (197 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@which_wich said:

People usually post their hype threads before mine but that hasn't stopped mine from being the one that gets a sticky. And it hasn't stopped the ones that were previously sticky'd to get dropped and replaced with mine. Just saying. Killzone Shadowfall, PS4, Xbox One, Forza 5, Gt6, Ryse...

#49 Posted by lostrib (36951 posts) -

@which_wich said:

@lostrib said:

@which_wich said:

People usually post their hype threads before mine but that hasn't stopped mine from being the one that gets a sticky. And it hasn't stopped the ones that were previously sticky'd to get dropped and replaced with mine. Just saying. Killzone Shadowfall, PS4, Xbox One, Forza 5, Gt6, Ryse...

I don't recall any of that happening. Plus your account is only from August 2014, so you couldn't have possible done that

#50 Edited by Maroxad (8270 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

Sounds good to me. I did make it through Divinity: OS's confusion and it sounds right up my alley.

Thanks matey, I shall definitely give SMT4 a shot :)

Yes, give SMT4 a shot. Though, I wouldn't call the story oppressive. It basically just went back to the law vs chaos theme.

Chaz is certainly right about you having to endure the introductionary section, it is easily the game's low point and the minotaur is the hardest boss in the game (and for the wrong reasons too). I put down the game twice before I finally got to the good part of the game.

Oh and the game is nowhere near as good as nocturne. The atmosphere, the writing and the gameplay is not as good. In particular, the Smirk system leads to some really frustrating boss fights early on (remember what I said about the minotaur being hte hardest boss in the game, this is caused by his absurd crit rate which results in him critting and thus smirking nearly every turn, which maximizes his attack and makes him very likely to crit again, combine this with an AoE he can easily instagib pretty much your entire party in one AoE).