People are trying to dismantle all of the nukes in MGSV in the vain hope for an unlocked Chapter III (Link)

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

From Ars Technica

The Metal Gear Solid series has always carried a strong undertone about the threat of nuclear proliferation. Metal Gear Solid V is taking that message to a new level by integrating an in-game metagame that will unlock a new story cutscene once all players have disarmed their in-game nuclear arsenals.

Nuclear weapons are a powerful force in MGSV's Forward Operating Base side-game, which lets players build up a personal army and arsenal that can be used to invade and plunder fellow players online. The nuclear bombs act as deterrents to invasion from other players, unless the invading force also has a nuclear weapon or has achieved Hero status through tireless do-gooding.

The nature of that in-game arms race led to tens of thousands of in-game nukes being deployed across the game's servers as of November 1, according to Konami's official count. But players also have reason to try to reverse that trend. As Konami recently officially announced, a "secret nuclear disarmament event" will be triggered for all players only when "All nuclear weapons on the regional server corresponding to your console or platform must have been dismantled. In other words, the amount of nukes on your platform's server must be equal to 0."

There were some clues to this "secret" event before now. Tinkerers managed to find a hidden cutscene announcing worldwide disarmament buried in the game's code shortly after it came out, though no one knew for sure how the scene was supposed to be triggered (there were theories, of course). The disarmament event was also discussed in the official hardcover guide for the gamepublished by Piggyback.

The effort to disarm has taken on new urgency in recent days, though, as Konami has begun posting regular updates on the size of the game's nuclear stockpile on its Twitter feed. As of yesterday, console players are very close to disarming, with less than 200 weapons remaining per platform (the numbers cited by Konami seem to be worldwide counts, so regional counts might hit zero even sooner). PC players have a longer way to go; the nuclear arsenal on Steam has gone down from over 36,000 on November 1 to a bit over 11,000 yesterday.

There are already organized efforts to get those numbers down to zero. Groups like Reddit's Metal Gear Philanthropy have banded together to invade other players' bases to steal and disarm their bombs. On the trollier side of the equation, a group called Metal Gear Patriots is working to get as many nukes as possible on those servers, working to steal nukes back from the philanthropists to protect them.

While the community has made admirable progress toward disarming so far, getting to total disarmament might prove difficult. On the Xbox One, Konami's nuclear weapon count actually increased from 40 to 52 in recent days. It will be interesting to see how the numbers continue to fluctuate now that Konami is placing more attention on this intriguing little metagame.

-

TLDR version: Players in varying versions of Phantom Pain are invading any and every FOB that's carrying a nuclear weapon for the sole purpose of dismantling it. By reducing the amount of nuclear weapons in a server to zero, it will unlock the "secret" nuclear disarmament ending and some believe that will subsequently lead to a new story chapter. As to whether or not this is true remains to be seen, and it's providing a fascinating commentary that seems to reflect real-world issues based on nuclear proliferation.

Tots? Do you believe Kojima has been fucking with us all this time and that Chapter 3 is in fact hiding behind this seemingly impossible task? Do you believe otherwise? Do you think the task is possible? Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Discuss!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

As trollish as Kojima can be, that would just be shitlord lame... Chapter 3 either doesn't exist, was cut, or is coming as a sequel/DLC.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

I just turn my game offline, because it makes my iDroid work.

I need a hero.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Someone will be a dick and sabotage this entire thing, just you watch

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Someone will be a dick and sabotage this entire thing, just you watch

The reddit group called Metal Gear Patriots is already working to keep nukes on their FOBs.

On the trollier side of the equation, a group called Metal Gear Patriots is working to get as many nukes as possible on those servers, working to steal nukes back from the philanthropists to protect them.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I hope this event undoes MGSV so the canon isn't forever marred by this unnecessary addition to the franchise.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

This is nuts.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

I hear if they succeed Kojima will come back to Konami and his names reappear in the credits and he rises form the dead from an unmarked grave Konami heads thought they buried him in, when they thought they got away with the vacation ruse they pulled on everyone.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

#TeamPatriots

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Poor bastards. Rooting around in the muck of that unfinished game, looking for something to vindicate their fandom. I was doing the same thing up until about a week ago when the denial stage finally ended.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Mental Grinds Solid.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Philanthropy/Patriots metagame that has developed from this is awesome. Exactly the kind of emergent gameplay missing from today's online world.

Makes me wish I had a computer that could run the game.

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 harrygooch
Member since 2015 • 282 Posts

The genius that is Metal Gear Solid. Where the game goes beyong your controller and screen.

Greatest series of ALL TIME.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22657 Posts

Read this.... Won't give up my nuke.... I'm like north Korea. Gonna have to come take it

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Still need to start play this game, i got it collecting dust in the bookshelf with some other games. Just not in mood for "open world 100's hrs games with repitive quests".

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

I hope this event undoes MGSV so the canon isn't forever marred by this unnecessary addition to the franchise.

Wut? This game served to clear up some confusion regarding MG and MG2, showed us some insight into what grew into Patriot AI's technologies/plans in MGS/MGS2, while most importantly cleaning up a lot of the gargantuan mess that MGS4 made.

If you really want to talk about unnecessary entries, look no further than PO and PW. Or, if you want to look at what marred the canon, look no further than PO and most of all, MGS4.

If somehow I misunderstood what you're trying to say, do clarify. Otherwise, this game fits in with MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2 and MGS3, much much better than the last 3 disjointed entries in the franchise, and, it even manages to pull MGS4 into the fold, a feat which seemed impossible.

-

On topic. Nah man, I'm not expecting anything. Would be cool though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@drinkerofjuice said:

From Ars Technica

The Metal Gear Solid series has always carried a strong undertone about the threat of nuclear proliferation. Metal Gear Solid V is taking that message to a new level by integrating an in-game metagame that will unlock a new story cutscene once all players have disarmed their in-game nuclear arsenals.

Nuclear weapons are a powerful force in MGSV's Forward Operating Base side-game, which lets players build up a personal army and arsenal that can be used to invade and plunder fellow players online. The nuclear bombs act as deterrents to invasion from other players, unless the invading force also has a nuclear weapon or has achieved Hero status through tireless do-gooding.

The nature of that in-game arms race led to tens of thousands of in-game nukes being deployed across the game's servers as of November 1, according to Konami's official count. But players also have reason to try to reverse that trend. As Konami recently officially announced, a "secret nuclear disarmament event" will be triggered for all players only when "All nuclear weapons on the regional server corresponding to your console or platform must have been dismantled. In other words, the amount of nukes on your platform's server must be equal to 0."

There were some clues to this "secret" event before now. Tinkerers managed to find a hidden cutscene announcing worldwide disarmament buried in the game's code shortly after it came out, though no one knew for sure how the scene was supposed to be triggered (there were theories, of course). The disarmament event was also discussed in the official hardcover guide for the gamepublished by Piggyback.

The effort to disarm has taken on new urgency in recent days, though, as Konami has begun posting regular updates on the size of the game's nuclear stockpile on its Twitter feed. As of yesterday, console players are very close to disarming, with less than 200 weapons remaining per platform (the numbers cited by Konami seem to be worldwide counts, so regional counts might hit zero even sooner). PC players have a longer way to go; the nuclear arsenal on Steam has gone down from over 36,000 on November 1 to a bit over 11,000 yesterday.

There are already organized efforts to get those numbers down to zero. Groups like Reddit's Metal Gear Philanthropy have banded together to invade other players' bases to steal and disarm their bombs. On the trollier side of the equation, a group called Metal Gear Patriots is working to get as many nukes as possible on those servers, working to steal nukes back from the philanthropists to protect them.

While the community has made admirable progress toward disarming so far, getting to total disarmament might prove difficult. On the Xbox One, Konami's nuclear weapon count actually increased from 40 to 52 in recent days. It will be interesting to see how the numbers continue to fluctuate now that Konami is placing more attention on this intriguing little metagame.

-

TLDR version: Players in varying versions of Phantom Pain are invading any and every FOB that's carrying a nuclear weapon for the sole purpose of dismantling it. By reducing the amount of nuclear weapons in a server to zero, it will unlock the "secret" nuclear disarmament ending and some believe that will subsequently lead to a new story chapter. As to whether or not this is true remains to be seen, and it's providing a fascinating commentary that seems to reflect real-world issues based on nuclear proliferation.

Tots? Do you believe Kojima has been fucking with us all this time and that Chapter 3 is in fact hiding behind this seemingly impossible task? Do you believe otherwise? Do you think the task is possible? Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Discuss!

If Kojima did that it would be the pinnacle of his trolls.

But now I really want to get that cutscene.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#18 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Wut? This game served to clear up some confusion regarding MG and MG2, showed us some insight into what grew into Patriot AI's technologies/plans in MGS/MGS2, while most importantly cleaning up a lot of the gargantuan mess that MGS4 made.

If you really want to talk about unnecessary entries, look no further than PO and PW. Or, if you want to look at what marred the canon, look no further than PO and most of all, MGS4.

If somehow I misunderstood what you're trying to say, do clarify. Otherwise, this game fits in with MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2 and MGS3, much much better than the last 3 disjointed entries in the franchise, and, it even manages to pull MGS4 into the fold, a feat which seemed impossible.

-

On topic. Nah man, I'm not expecting anything. Would be cool though.

I was gonna say the same.

Mission: "The Man Who Sold The World". One of the weirdest twists in a video game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I'm still waiting for my nuke to be developed.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I gave up on this game before my nuke was made. I didn't even touch MGO. I really don't care what happens at this point.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Been following r/Neverbegameover since this all began. If there is a ruse cruise we will know by The Game Awards, imo. Only then, will we be let off of Kojima's wild ride.