Pedal to the Metal Presents - The Fall of the Metagame

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

Pedal to the Metal Presents

The Fall of the Metagame

The Fall of the Metagame… Heil68, Animal-Mother and TheEroica discuss the Xbox One launch and the state of our Metagame… Is it time for change?

Youtube Link

#2 Edited by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

Embedding Doesnt Work, But click the Link in the OP to head over to system wars magazine to listen to the RSS feed... or just subscribe through iTunes or Android devices.

_____________________________________________________________

Any reaction to our Metagame discussion? Let us know... We'd love to continue this conversation.

#3 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

awesome cool i love pedal to the metal.

#4 Posted by jg4xchamp (48376 posts) -

Fuck the metagame, let that bitch fall.

Will listen later, exactly who the fuck do you guys gotta fuck to get your sticky back?

#5 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Fuck the metagame, let that bitch fall.

Will listen later, exactly who the fuck do you guys gotta fuck to get your sticky back?

They can't resist Heil's live, love and learn philosophy on life for long champ...

#6 Edited by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

awesome cool i love pedal to the metal.

Much appreciated...! We happen to be big CrownKingArthur fans, so that works out.

#7 Edited by Willy105 (24546 posts) -

Minecraft was single-handily selling Xbox 360's. The game became huge with kids.

Also, guys, you know there is such a thing as an exclusive multiplat.

#8 Edited by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

Pedal to the metal?

#9 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

@Suppaman100:

You should come on the show and make it interesting then ;)

#10 Edited by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

@Heil68: Maybe I will in the future if I have more time. Good to hear you're going to change it a bit, it's needed.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Maybe I will in the future if I have more time. Good to hear you're going to change it a bit, it's needed.

Cant change a podcast too much, other than topics of discussion.

#12 Edited by Lucianu (9448 posts) -

I'm going to listen to it in a couple of minutes since i've got nothing to do for the next 30 minutes, and i'll offer my input just for the heck of it. I've never fully listened to your podcast before :P

But man, it would be cool if you would add a downloadable mp3 link so i could listen to it on my phone later.. Considering that you guys are both smart and creative, why on Earth didn't ya'll do so yet? That is quintessential for a podcast.

#13 Posted by Willy105 (24546 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Maybe I will in the future if I have more time. Good to hear you're going to change it a bit, it's needed.

Cant change a podcast too much, other than topics of discussion.

Is that a challenge?

#14 Posted by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

#15 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

@Willy105 said:

@Heil68 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Maybe I will in the future if I have more time. Good to hear you're going to change it a bit, it's needed.

Cant change a podcast too much, other than topics of discussion.

Is that a challenge?

Sure. :D

#16 Edited by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

We try to keep them short and started out that way but Animal rambles on sometimes. :P Thanks for the suggestions though, we'll see if we can get back on the 30 minute track.

#17 Edited by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@Lucianu: we did at one point... I suppose I can do it again for you sure... And make it part of future releases... The reason we stopped is because of ipPodcast in the Google play store... It mirrors all the casts on iTunes so Android users and iPhone users have access to us anywhere.

#18 Edited by Lucianu (9448 posts) -

Nice podcast, i listened to most of it. I enjoyed how you bashed that thread about hd remakes counting as exclusives. Animal sounds short-tempered and a little scary to get into an argument lol.

#19 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

We try to keep them short and started out that way but Animal rambles on sometimes. :P Thanks for the suggestions though, we'll see if we can get back on the 30 minute track.

I personally prefer them to be on the longer side,look at some of the best and most loved gaming podcasts like the Giantbombcast for instance,the thing is usually around 3h long. 30 minutes is way too short.

#20 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

Nice podcast, i listened to most of it. I enjoyed how you bashed that thread about hd remakes counting as exclusives. Animal sounds short-tempered and a little scary to get into an argument lol.

We just need to make sure Animal drink some scotch, then he becomes a pussy cat.

#21 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@Suppaman100: thanks for the feedback... The scope of p2m is also based on our time commitments. We have ambition to do similar endeavors as you've mentioned... Just a bit trickier on the implementation as we coordinate several schedules simultaneously. The nice part is that with our new initiatives we will hopefully get some different and New content out soon.

#22 Posted by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@Suppaman100: thanks for the feedback... The scope of p2m is also based on our time commitments. We have ambition to do similar endeavors as you've mentioned... Just a bit trickier on the implementation as we coordinate several schedules simultaneously. The nice part is that with our new initiatives we will hopefully get some different and New content out soon.

That's cool. And I understand it's just a hobby but I believe there's a lot of potential when you guys change it a bit.

#23 Posted by slaves (1284 posts) -

@Heil68 @TheEroica Great pod as usual. I can never get enough of Animals rants.

#24 Posted by AdobeArtist (22942 posts) -

Great podcast, sorry I missed out on that. Though funny thing is, I still haven't reinstalled my Skype since reformatting my PC about 2 months ago.

But the biggest problem with the metagame isn't the rules we make, or updates that are implemented. It's that we don't have a consensus of what the rules should be, which constantly change based on need. When an exclusive scores great on MC, there's always someone crying, "But it's only GS scores that count, noooooob". But that same person will immediately run to MC the moment a game on their preferred platform scores low on GS.

And we see this from all the factions, all the time.How do you maintain a game where the community at large refuses to adhere to any rules?

As far as exclusivity goes, I came up with idea in message conversation, that we should approach this on two sides. There's always resistance and friction when trying to bend the criteria on what qualifies as an exclusive. Any effort at endorsing sub categories (like console exclusive, MS exclusive, timed exclusive, or what have you) is futile.

The practical application is that many gamers are limited to just 1 system, or maybe 2 but not all of them. So instead I think this should be approached from two angles, as discussing both system exclusives (which can only be a game on 1 system) as well as platform excluded titles.

Titanfall which is on XBO, X360, and PC is still not on PS3 or PS4, so it's Playstation excluded. Sony only gamers are missing out. Same can be said with Wicther 2. Or how about titles like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, and the new Tomb Raider. These are examples of games that are Wii/U excluded, or even Nintendo excluded if you prefer. Sure Nintendo is strong in it's first party with the well known franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, but isn't the fact that those aforementioned titles are on every other platform except Nintendo's a strike against them? In the same way, Nintendo only gamers miss out on a lot of AAA titles.

By adding system exclusion as a mirror to system exclusive, as a criteria into the metagame, we can discuss series in a realistic way without debating the definition of exclusive.

#25 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

STFU

#26 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@slaves said:

@Heil68 @TheEroica Great pod as usual. I can never get enough of Animals rants.

In the spirit of the podcast and making it better, are they cohesive? Are they fun to listen to? This is an open question for everyone.

#27 Posted by Lucianu (9448 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@Lucianu: we did at one point... I suppose I can do it again for you sure... And make it part of future releases... The reason we stopped is because of ipPodcast in the Google play store... It mirrors all the casts on iTunes so Android users and iPhone users have access to us anywhere.

I'd appreciate it, i mean it shouldn't be that big of a deal uploading it somewhere if the file isn't big. I like to listen podcasts on my phone wile i'm my bed or just relaxing.

#28 Posted by slaves (1284 posts) -
@Animal-Mother said:

@slaves said:

@Heil68 @TheEroica Great pod as usual. I can never get enough of Animals rants.

In the spirit of the podcast and making it better, are they cohesive? Are they fun to listen to? This is an open question for everyone.

Very cohesive and fun to listen to. Reminds me of 2007, a very good year IMO. I need my weekly Animal rant, if I don't get it I'm just not the same person.

#30 Edited by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

See Bombcast and RT Podcast the Patch.

IMO it's hard to make content in this day and age. You talk ala angryjoe, but there are at least a 1000 other people trying to be angryjoe. It's also hard to put a unique stamp on content when it's all been done before, while this is in no way my show these are just my opinions in content of this day and age. Sean strikes it big because he provides unique content every time and something different and fresh and relevant to the game at the time. And if the game does so happen to be older, he twists it up. Ala his mirrors edge video.

There have been P2M That have been very long and have had the views. It seems part of the problem with P2M was the redesign of the site and losing a sticky was a huge loss in viewership.

I'm not here to bash your post. But to put to provide some clarity as it's not the easiest thing to create content and get the views when you have somewhat loose footing.

#31 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

We try to keep them short and started out that way but Animal rambles on sometimes. :P Thanks for the suggestions though, we'll see if we can get back on the 30 minute track.

No don't do that, fuck that. An hour long podcast is fine and it's what most podcasts are with some being double that. You can't argue points back and forth and get proper opinions on full topics in a half hour.

If people don't have time to listen to it it's their tough titty. Either listen to it all at once or split it up over the week

#32 Posted by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

See Bombcast and RT Podcast the Patch.

IMO it's hard to make content in this day and age. You talk ala angryjoe, but there are at least a 1000 other people trying to be angryjoe. It's also hard to put a unique stamp on content when it's all been done before, while this is in no way my show these are just my opinions in content of this day and age. Sean strikes it big because he provides unique content every time and something different and fresh and relevant to the game at the time. And if the game does so happen to be older, he twists it up. Ala his mirrors edge video.

There have been P2M That have been very long and have had the views. It seems part of the problem with P2M was the redesign of the site and losing a sticky was a huge loss in viewership.

I'm not here to bash your post. But to put to provide some clarity as it's not the easiest thing to create content and get the views when you have somewhat loose footing.

Agree that there are a lot of angryjoes,... out there. I also understand that the changes this forum had to endure were not good for P2M views, although that could change for the better in the future, I heard GS was going to make some changes in the near future.

But you know you guys have your own niche, SW and you're not competing with the Angryjoes out here. Try to make some interactive stuff, like I suggested maybe you guys could make some battle vids where cows, sheep, lems,... can play a multiplayer game against eachother and you guys give commentary.

I know it's hard to provide unique content and I know this is just a hobby for you guys, but I believe you guys have talent and with some luck could even become popular outside of SW. There's potential.

Anyway, I'm very interested in the new stuff you guys are going to bring to the table.

#33 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@Suppaman100: thanks... Yeah that's kinda the plan. Start really small with little expectations and let it grow carefully. We started it to reach out to system wars as a community and that has been really great. So many shows with so many great people I never would've spoken with otherwise... That goal has been reached, now we are discussing our next moves...

#34 Posted by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Heil68 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

We try to keep them short and started out that way but Animal rambles on sometimes. :P Thanks for the suggestions though, we'll see if we can get back on the 30 minute track.

No don't do that, fuck that. An hour long podcast is fine and it's what most podcasts are with some being double that. You can't argue points back and forth and get proper opinions on full topics in a half hour.

If people don't have time to listen to it it's their tough titty. Either listen to it all at once or split it up over the week

Problem is you won't get many more new viewers if the content is so long imo.

It's "frightening" for newbies to see that your podcast is 50+mins long, most of them won't take the time to listen to it and will click away fast. Like I said, people's attention span is getting smaller and smaller.

It's ok for the regular viewers because they're used to it and know what to expect.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/attention-span-statistics/

Just my 2 cents.

#35 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@Suppaman100: I think the flagship round table discussion p2m needs to be an hour as a base, Sean is right, but where you are on to something is what we put out alongside it... Top 5's, maybe a let's play etc... Things that can be 30 minutes or less and give those noobs a chance to listen and not feel overwhelmed.. Then hop into the longer casts. 30 minutes on a round table, especially when u have two or three guests is very short when discussing topics.

#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Problem is you won't get many more new viewers if the content is so long imo.

It's "frightening" for newbies to see that your podcast is 50+mins long, most of them won't take the time to listen to it and will click away fast. Like I said, people's attention span is getting smaller and smaller.

It's ok for the regular viewers because they're used to it and know what to expect.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/attention-span-statistics/

Just my 2 cents.

If the content is good, length is irrelevant. If people turn off a podcast before even listening to it just because of the length then I wouldn't feel so regretful about losing that viewer cos they have no attention span anyway

#37 Edited by darkspineslayer (19796 posts) -

@Lucianu: I believe you can still grab them in that way. They are hosted on Systemwarsmagazine.com, I think you can download them from there if you don't have an app capable of subscribing to the feed.

#39 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: all great points. I was in on this discussion and I think we pretty much agreed on all of it... The real flaw of the game is does anyone actually want to play it?!?! Or have we taken flops so personally that we will do anything to avoid the rules of the game.?

#40 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Heil68: Format should be changed imo. Podcasts is so 2007.

It's also 50 minutes long...that's WAY too long. People's attention span is just too short for that, especially in this day and age where every bit of info is compressed. There's also no real structure, it's just constant rambling.

Make some youtube vids and review games, systems,... à la angryjoe,... or ask some advice from the jackscepticeye guy from here on gs.

For example challenge people from SW to play a multiplayer game against you guys, film it and somebody gives commentary. Or maybe let SW factions battle it out, let's say, a cow VS a lemming in a COD, halo, tekken match,... Will definitely bring the lols and I guarantee most of SW will watch that.

Give people a reason to come back to your podcasts, (vids).

One thing you guys did right, were the comics. (don't know if you guys were responsible for that though)

Just needs a big overhaul imo.

See Bombcast and RT Podcast the Patch.

IMO it's hard to make content in this day and age. You talk ala angryjoe, but there are at least a 1000 other people trying to be angryjoe. It's also hard to put a unique stamp on content when it's all been done before, while this is in no way my show these are just my opinions in content of this day and age. Sean strikes it big because he provides unique content every time and something different and fresh and relevant to the game at the time. And if the game does so happen to be older, he twists it up. Ala his mirrors edge video.

There have been P2M That have been very long and have had the views. It seems part of the problem with P2M was the redesign of the site and losing a sticky was a huge loss in viewership.

I'm not here to bash your post. But to put to provide some clarity as it's not the easiest thing to create content and get the views when you have somewhat loose footing.

Agree that there are a lot of angryjoes,... out there. I also understand that the changes this forum had to endure were not good for P2M views, although that could change for the better in the future, I heard GS was going to make some changes in the near future.

But you know you guys have your own niche, SW and you're not competing with the Angryjoes out here. Try to make some interactive stuff, like I suggested maybe you guys could make some battle vids where cows, sheep, lems,... can play a multiplayer game against eachother and you guys give commentary.

I know it's hard to provide unique content and I know this is just a hobby for you guys, but I believe you guys have talent and with some luck could even become popular outside of SW. There's potential.

Anyway, I'm very interested in the new stuff you guys are going to bring to the table.

Yeah we do have some things in the works as far as expansion goes. That's primarily on my end. But i'm working with the guys to attempt to expand P2M also.

#41 Posted by Suppaman100 (3946 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: Of course, content is king. Although I think you underestimate the effect of a long movie/ podcast because you ask for a "lot" of commitment of the new viewer/listener.

But like you said, do you want viewers/listeners like that.

@TheEroica said:

@Suppaman100: I think the flagship round table discussion p2m needs to be an hour as a base, Sean is right, but where you are on to something is what we put out alongside it... Top 5's, maybe a let's play etc... Things that can be 30 minutes or less and give those noobs a chance to listen and not feel overwhelmed.. Then hop into the longer casts. 30 minutes on a round table, especially when u have two or three guests is very short when discussing topics.

Indeed, put out some podcasts that aren't that long, maybe some sort of summary of your long podcast (?). And like you said, side activities are important to become more popular.

#42 Posted by Willy105 (24546 posts) -

My suggestion would be to have both. Keep the multiple hour long podcasts intact for listeners who'd like to listen the whole thing in it's original format, BUT AT THE SAME TIME, the podcast itself is already separated by various topics thanks to the skillful moderation by the hosts; so we can simply cut out and separate these parts and release them as it's own thing.

For example, the GOTY podcast can be separated into each of the games we covered there. You guys could release the entire podcast, and at the same time, release each portion of each game as it's separate release. That way a viewer can choose to watch the entire 2.5 hour podcast or just listen to the 5 minute section on whether GTA V had better multiplayer than Just Cause 2.

Best of both worlds.

#43 Edited by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@Willy105:

Really great suggestions Willy! I think I'll try that soon... Good call.

#44 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

Looking for guests for this Thursday's show, Let us know if you want to be on, we would love to have you!

#45 Posted by Blabadon (26641 posts) -

Did I hear someone say Animal-MILF's rants were actually scary?

#46 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

@Blabadon: as a general rule of thumb, keep animal away from your mother....

#47 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Did I hear someone say Animal-MILF's rants were actually scary?

Animal's just scary in general

#48 Posted by Willy105 (24546 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

@Blabadon said:

Did I hear someone say Animal-MILF's rants were actually scary?

Animal's just scary in general

Especially his creepy voice.