PC vs Consoles (in a nutshell)

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by drekula2 (1880 posts) -
CriteriaPC GamingConsole Gaming
Graphics/PerformanceFar superior.Inferior, but all games guarenteed to work well.
MultiplayerFree, and much more capabilities other than lol-16-man-deathmatchGreat at local multi. A friends list of average joes you know in real life.
PriceCheaper software (Gaben!)Cheaper hardware
Game LibraryWay more games. Way more familiar IP's.
Typical Usermaster racenot-a-basement-virgin.exe
AccessibilityLOLVery. Easily transported. Living-room friendly. No time needed for maintainance or research
Game GenresMMO, FPS, RTS, MOBAFighting, Sports, Racing, etc.
CustomizationUpgrades (or not, if you choose). And the modding community.LOL

In a nutshell.

Am I missing anything?

#2 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

"Am I missing anything?"

Yes originality.

#3 Edited by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

"Am I missing anything?"

Yes originality.

yea, thats the point. are there any pros to either side other than what everyone else just said?

if so, fill us in.

#4 Edited by megaspiderweb09 (3678 posts) -

What is the refresh rate for PC graphics card on average? Is it 3yrs or 5yrs or more?

#5 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

What is the refresh rate for PC graphics card on average? Is it 3yrs or 5yrs or more?

Took my GTX 480 4 years until i went to the R9 290, and the 480 can still max almost all games.

#6 Posted by StormyJoe (4598 posts) -

@drekula2:

PC gamers need to accept that most console gamers do not want to play games in a spare bedroom, we want to game in a living room.

#7 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3245 posts) -

Looks like consoles win once again.

#8 Edited by naz99 (997 posts) -

@drekula2:

PC gamers need to accept that most console gamers do not want to play games in a spare bedroom, we want to game in a living room.

Whats to accept?....you need to accept PC gamers can also play PC's in their living room like I do, I do not know anyone that plays games in their "spare bedroom" just more nonsense opinions with no basis in facts .....colour me shocked

Why? because a person can make random opinions with no facts to back it up..is thats how people win nowadays? ....amazing

#9 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3678 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Took my GTX 480 4 years until i went to the R9 290, and the 480 can still max almost all games.

But that is just you init, i am infering the general average, because i see that Nvidia releases new graphics chip sets every other year. I am more interesting in the adoption rate for PC gamers in general, how many years do you spend with a particular chip set before you feel the need to upgrade?

#10 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@drekula2:

move the PC to the living room.

I am not sure I understand why and entire industry is struggling with this problem for the last 10 years. Just move the Fking computer to the living room and be done with the problem.

#11 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

But that is just you init, i am infering the general average, because i see that Nvidia releases new graphics chip sets every other year. I am more interesting in the adoption rate for PC gamers in general, how many years do you spend with a particular chip set before you feel the need to upgrade?

Most people do not buy top end hardware that lasts, they also cheap out on other components to fit a budget which will cause power instability from bad power supplies to popping VRM's on motherboards when overclocking the CPU.

My PC has a 2500k running at a max clock of 5.2ghz on a Corsair H100, i do not keep it there all the time though, in general use it is at 4.5ghz, i unlock it's capability when rendering etc, as i need CPU power.

The GTX 480 died on me, i never planned to upgrade it yet, so it may have lasted 5 years.

#12 Posted by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

if a GFX card is superior to that of the consoles, could i not keep it for the next 8 years if i want to?

i could upgrade once, twice, three or four times if I want. or not at all and still outpace consoles.

i'll just have to deal with not having uncharted 4

#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16482 posts) -

@drekula2:

And sadly most consolites are too stupid to realize you can hook your PC up in the livingroom and yes actually hook it to the TV as well. And if they wish, they can use a controller, even a PS4/X1 controller.

#14 Posted by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

but if i hook up my pc to my living room what will i use at my desk?!?!

#15 Posted by StormyJoe (4598 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

Whats to accept?....you need to accept PC gamers can also play PC's in their living room like I do, I do not know anyone that plays games in their "spare bedroom" just more nonsense opinions with no basis in facts .....colour me shocked

@princessgomez92 said:

Why? because a person can make random opinions with no facts to back it up..is thats how people win nowadays? ....amazing

True "PC specific" games are not designed to be played in the living room - they require a KB and Mouse, and their interface is designed with the user being 12"-18" from the screen.

Sorry, but most PC gamers play their games in the "computer room", or their bedroom. Hence the term "Hermits"...

#16 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6194 posts) -

Well it's been done to death.

Consoles pretty much own the living room as cut down "VCR" PC's.

PC's are the parent version of that.

I think exclusives as a whole are overrated.

All of my favorites are multiplats ; Mass Effect, Ass Creed, Far Cry 3, Fallout, etc

Either you play those games in "meh" resolution at "blurry" settings, or you use a PC, turn it up to 11 and have fun for a change.

I bought FC3 the other day for $7 off Amazon, I had more fun than I've had in years.

#17 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

@princessgomez92 said:

True "PC specific" games are not designed to be played in the living room - they require a KB and Mouse, and their interface is designed with the user being 12"-18" from the screen.

Sorry, but most PC gamers play their games in the "computer room", or their bedroom. Hence the term "Hermits"...

What does a keyboard and a mouse not work in the living room?

what is this 1950? New technology should make us rethink how our parents parents setup the house.

I have my PC in my living room and I use my 26" monitor as a TV. The couch sits right behind me. I thru out my TV and cable and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

keyboard work in the living room

#18 Posted by StormyJoe (4598 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

And sadly most consolites are too stupid to realize you can hook your PC up in the livingroom and yes actually hook it to the TV as well. And if they wish, they can use a controller, even a PS4/X1 controller.

Really? I am pretty sure I know a lot more about computers than you do. Anyway...

1. PC games are traditionally designed to be used with a KB & Mouse - which, at best, is problematic when sitting on a sofa.
  2. PC games that are not mulitplat, are designed with the user sitting 12" to 18" from the screen. This is also problematic when the user is 8' - 10' away. You will have problems with the UI.
  3. I do not want some bulky PC sitting in my living room.
#19 Posted by StormyJoe (4598 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@StormyJoe said:

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

@princessgomez92 said:

what is this 1950? New technology should make us rethink how our parents parents setup the house.

I have my PC in my living room and I use my 26" monitor as a TV. The couch sits right behind me. I thru out my TV and cable and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

Well, most of us do not live in a shoe box. I have a 60" Quatton, and I sit about 10' away from my screen. Not very conduciveto PC gaming. Most living rooms are like mine, not yours.

Look, you can argue until you are blue in the face, I will never agree with you. PCs do not belong in the living room connected to the TV. Just because you *can* do that, does not mean it is the best idea.

Its like saying "well, I can take my Audi on that dirt road because I have AWD. I don't need a truck." Yes, that person could, but do you want to go off-roading in a $50K luxury sedan?

#20 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@StormyJoe said:

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

@princessgomez92 said:

Well, most of us do not live in a shoe box. I have a 60" Quatton, and I sit about 10' away from my screen. Not very conduciveto PC gaming. Most living rooms are like mine, not yours.

Look, you can argue until you are blue in the face, I will never agree with you. PCs do not belong in the living room connected to the TV. Just because you *can* do that, does not mean it is the best idea.

Its like saying "well, I can take my Audi on that dirt road because I have AWD. I don't need a truck." Yes, that person could, but do you want to go off-roading in a $50K luxury sedan?

A few things.

1. If you didnt sit 10' away from your TV you might find you didnt need a 60" monitor.

2. I have had up to 3 people watching a movie on my computer perfectly comfortably. The only difference is that we didnt have 10' of totally wasted and unused space in front of us. But to be fair, that is 3 people not 30.

3. Without question the ONLY thing that is good about a console is its good for a party. In every aspect across the board other than having many people watching at once it totally sqcks.

4. you 60" TV and your sofa STILL doesnt prevent you from hooking up your computer to your TV and custom making a keyboard and mouse set up that will allow you to sit on your couch and play games. Nor does the 60" monitor prevent you from putting a desk, computer and chair someplace in your at least 10' by 10' lving room

#21 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

Mr spare bedroom is my PC gaming room. So now you know someone.

But this is only after owning a house where I have extra rooms, its far more preferable to renting apartments where I had to jam my computer desk somewhere in the living room or my bedroom for years.

#22 Edited by Kinthalis (5251 posts) -

Console: "Games guaranteed to work"

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Seriously? BF4 crashing, Server issues, signing in issues, Dead Rising 3 dipping frame rate into the teens, Knack poor frame rate, etc, etc, etc.

Not to mention the screen tearing/low frame rate, buggy issues with pretty much 90% of console games (outside nintendo) on the last gen consoles. Guaranteed to work my @ss.

#23 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

But this is only after owning a house where I have extra rooms, its far more preferable to renting apartments where I had to jam my computer desk somewhere in the living room or my bedroom for years.

I think the bottom line is this.

1. If you find yourself spending a lot of time in that spare bedroom its seriously time for a new millennium change to your home setup.

2.If you dont play your PC as much as you would like bcause its in a sparebedroom its seriously time for anew milemmium change to your home setup.

Most people still set up their home like its 1950. There was a time not to long ago when the 'living room' was fairly new compared to the 'sitting room', times are changing.

Time to move on and get creative.

#24 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@BeardMaster said:

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

1. If you find yourself spending a lot of time in that spare bedroom its seriously time for a new millennium change to your home setup.

2.If you dont play your PC as much as you would like bcause its in a sparebedroom its seriously time for anew milemmium change to your home setup.

Most people still set up their home like its 1950. There was a time not to long ago when the 'living room' was fairly new compared to the 'sitting room', times are changing.

What else am i supposed am I supposed to do? crowd my living room by stuffing my computer desk in it?

And dont say "herp derp, just use a controller" Im not about to play starcraft 2 with or a deathmatch in quake live with controller. Nor am I about to go back to jerry-rigging my KB/M on my lap or hunched over coffee tables or on the floor like when I was a kid... a computer room with a computer desk is far more preferable to any alternative.

#25 Edited by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

Two to three on a video card for me and five years plus for the CPU.

#26 Posted by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@BeardMaster said:

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

What else am i supposed am I supposed to do? crowd my living room by stuffing my computer desk in it?

And dont say "herp derp, just use a controller" Im not about to play starcraft 2 with or a deathmatch in quake live with controller. Nor am I about to go back to jerry-rigging my KB/M on my lap or hunched over coffee tables or on the floor like when I was a kid... a computer room with a computer desk is far more preferable to any alternative.

I think having a PC in another room is a great idea. That way, when its time to game I have a place where I'm not interrupted etc. But then when game time is over, I can focus my attention on other things. I have a big problem at the moment with being on the internet. I'll go from my desktop which is in my bedroom straight to my laptop when I go to bed where I spend another 2 hours on the net.

#27 Edited by -Unreal- (24474 posts) -

CriteriaPC GamingConsole Gaming
Graphics/PerformanceFar superior in both.Inferior in both.
Multiplayer

Free, and much more capabilities other than lol-16-man-deathmatch

Has more split-screen games if you want to play with a tiny portion of a screen. Online costs a fee.
PriceCheaper software, MANY more salesMore expensive games, moderately cheaper hardware
Game LibraryWay more games.More limited variety of genres, no backwards compatibility
Typical UserTypically more mature or olderu wot m8? ill fckn deck u swer on me mum
AccessibilityPress power, click the shortcut on your desktop or in Steam, play. Fix issues with games without the need to wait on developers fixing them, IF they fix them.Put a game in, turn it on and play. If it doesn't work, you're screwed. If the game's buggy, you're screwed. Wait for it being fixed. If a game doesn't play how you want it to, too bad.
Game GenresMany more of everything.Everything, just less of it. Barely any MMOs, Strategy, SIMS or god games.
CustomizationUpgradeable, easily maintained in the event of faulty hardware, modable games, fixable software issues, much more control variety, overclockable for extra performanceYou can put pretty stickers of Sonic on it or paint it.

#28 Posted by lostrib (31843 posts) -

Is it bullshit about PC day or something?

#29 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3678 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

I guess there needs to be some indepth analysis on the economic side to PC gaming. people go on about how cheap it is which may not actually be the case, i admit i am not very familair with what goes on on there but these specialist companies release chip sets almost every other year and i once saw ReviewTechUSA complain about upgrading like a crack adict. Nvidia would obviously want gamers to upgrade every other year as that is how business works, they need to keep the income going so they need to suck people into that buying echo-system. Kinda like mobile phones where you most likely will upgrade before your current contract runs out but i guess we will not see indepth analysis untill someone takes it on.

Only when we can tell the average refresh rate for most consumers who primarily game on PC can we really tell how the cost of gaming on PC is, sales of indirect network products does not mean its cheap overall

#30 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@clyde46 said:
@BeardMaster said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@BeardMaster said:

@naz99 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@drekula2:

I think having a PC in another room is a great idea. That way, when its time to game I have a place where I'm not interrupted etc. But then when game time is over, I can focus my attention on other things. I have a big problem at the moment with being on the internet. I'll go from my desktop which is in my bedroom straight to my laptop when I go to bed where I spend another 2 hours on the net.

I am confused.

Console gaming and being interupted = fine

PC gaming and being interupted = deal breaker?

I know everyone loves their large home but think about this.

I have my internet, movies, games, youtube all in one place AND I dont have to pay for any gagets to get it to me. Internet connection is all I need....and yes..it is AWESOME

#31 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

I guess there needs to be some indepth analysis on the economic side to PC gaming. people go on about how cheap it is which may not actually be the case, i admit i am not very familair with what goes on on there but these specialist companies release chip sets almost every other year and i once saw ReviewTechUSA complain about upgrading like a crack adict. Nvidia would obviously want gamers to upgrade every other year as that is how business works, they need to keep the income going so they need to suck people into that buying echo-system. Kinda like mobile phones where you most likely will upgrade before your current contract runs out but i guess we will not see indepth analysis untill someone takes it on.

Only when we can tell the average refresh rate for most consumers who primarily game on PC can we really tell how the cost of gaming on PC is, sales of indirect network products does not mean its cheap overall

When doing it people should substract the cost of a PC they would have if they dont game on it.

For most people that means just the cost of the video card.

#32 Edited by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Yes companies update their chip lineups etc but there is not a real need to upgrade. Upgrading is a choice. I like being on the edge so I buy the latest and most expensive but you can have a high end card like the 770 which runs about £250-300 and that will last about 5 years, more if you treat it right. The problem is however that these chip makers aren't making products with enough of a jump to make you upgrade every year like it used to be. Tech progression is a lot slower than it was back in the late 90's, early 00's. You don't need that new video card to play that new Quake game etc now.

Expiry dates for technology now are frightfully short, as you mentioned, mobile phones are changed almost every year for many. Its the nature of consumers now.

#33 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3678 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: Why should they subtract it? Also correct me if i am wrong, running a super chip generates heat, which in turn needs a cooling system isnt it

#34 Edited by lostrib (31843 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: Why should they subtract it? Also correct me if i am wrong, running a super chip generates heat, which in turn needs a cooling system isnt it

CPUs come with stock heatsinks.

#35 Edited by megaspiderweb09 (3678 posts) -

@clyde46: I see a lot of legit reason to why PC gaming needs to hit mainstream, but to be frank, at its current state, it really cannot. There is a reason why Sony, Microsoft and Nvidia have yet to make acquisitions of chip specialists. If gaming were moving towards just providing graphic cards, i am sure the console incumbents would have acquired chip specialist of theirs but there is no indication of that. Microsoft acquiring Nokia did not come out of the blue and Sony acquiring Gaikai did not come out of the blue either, both moves are based on educated estimates of the future.

Historically, console incumbents used to co-produce custom chip sets with specialist, but as seen with the PS3 scenario, the cost of doing that has gone up while the benefits have gone down. It comes as no suprise that Sony opted for externalities with their chip sets. But that is off topic for now and as said before, indepth analysis needs to be done before one can truely get a better picture, for now though the mainstream still prefer consoles, heck even Steam Machines are basicly consoles but i guess there may be somethings that you know that i dont. Interested to find out

#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38168 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

I think people average about 2 years

People who want to be on the bleeding edge will upgrade almost every year

#37 Posted by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

@clyde46: I see a lot of legit reason to why PC gaming needs to hit mainstream, but to be frank, at its current state, it really cannot. There is a reason why Sony, Microsoft and Nvidia have yet to make acquisitions of chip specialists. If gaming were moving towards just providing graphic cards, i am sure the console incumbents would have acquired chip specialist of theirs but there is no indication of that. Microsoft acquiring Nokia did not come out of the blue and Sony acquiring Gaikai did not come out of the blue either, both moves are based on educated estimates of the future.

Historically, console incumbents used to co-produce custom chip sets with specialist, but as seen with the PS3 scenario, the cost of doing that has gone up while the benefits have gone down. It comes as no suprise that Sony opted for externalities with their chip sets. But that is off topic for now and as said before, indepth analysis needs to be done before one can truely get a better picture, for now though the mainstream still prefer consoles, heck even Steam Machines are basicly consoles but i guess there may be somethings that you know that i dont. Interested to find out

PC gaming is mainstream... Nvidia is a chip specialist and gaming isn't the only thing driving Intel, AMD and Nvidia.... I'm not sure why you keep mentioning "chip specialists" because I'm guessing you don't quite grasp what a "chip specialist" is.

The reason MS bought Nokia out was that Nokia was having a tough time breaking out of the dumbphone market in the US. Traditonally, Nokia in Europe is a top tier brand. Their phones were some of the best and if you didn't have a Nokia then you were a nobody. However, stateside Nokia was a budget brand with substandard budget phones. MS needed a quality phone maker to help them establish the Windows Phone. Only after MS bought Nokia and gained exclusive access to everything Nokia had, did they start making headway in the US market.

The reason behind Sony buying Gaikai was simple, why spend billions on R/D when you can buy out someone who already has done all the work for you. Sony obviously sees a future in streaming games over the net and has acquired the means of doing so almost ahead of the game so to speak.

#38 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Ha! Lol at 'Racing' being on the console side.

#39 Posted by ominous_titan (455 posts) -

these are pc gamers, see how years of sitting in the dark eating hotpockets and drinking cancerous sodas have de-evolved these poor pcplebs.the home computer is as appealing as a typewriter, the new generations dont give a flying f**k about pc anymore.

#40 Posted by Kinthalis (5251 posts) -

these are pc gamers, see how years of sitting in the dark eating hotpockets and drinking cancerous sodas have de-evolved these poor pcplebs.the home computer is as appealing as a typewriter, the new generations dont give a flying f**k about pc anymore.

This is representative of the average console gamers skill at debate and sophistication when presenting an argument.

Look upon it's hideousness in awe.

#41 Posted by ominous_titan (455 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

This is representative of the average console gamers skill at debate and sophistication when presenting an argument.

it doesnt take skill to point out the obvious fact that NOBODY fn cares about PC anymore. go ask a kid what theyd rather have a laptop or an ipad, that is if youre allowed around kids

#42 Posted by ominous_titan (455 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

it doesnt take skill to point out the obvious fact that NOBODY fn cares about PC anymore. go ask a kid what theyd rather have a laptop or an ipad, that is if youre allowed around kids

#43 Posted by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@ominous_titan said:

-1/10

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16128 posts) -

Seriously? BF4 crashing, Server issues, signing in issues, Dead Rising 3 dipping frame rate into the teens, Knack poor frame rate, etc, etc, etc.

Not to mention the screen tearing/low frame rate, buggy issues with pretty much 90% of console games (outside nintendo) on the last gen consoles. Guaranteed to work my @ss.

Yeah I thought they were guaranteed to work too... until I bought Prince of Persia Trilogy for PS3.

What a horrible experience, I still have nightmares.

At least on PC when a dev is too lazy to fix a game, you've got community fixes. On consoles you're left with what the developer leaves you with. In the case of POP Trilogy: unplayable crap.

#45 Posted by wis3boi (30921 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Kinthalis said:

Yeah I thought they were guaranteed to work too... until I bought Prince of Persia Trilogy for PS3.

At least on PC when a dev is too lazy to fix a game, you've got community fixes. On consoles you're left with what the developer leaves you with. In the case of POP Trilogy: unplayable crap.

The peasants are lost if no one is there to hold their hands for them

#46 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16128 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Kinthalis said:

The peasants are lost if no one is there to hold their hands for them

"How dare PC gamers ruin the vision of the developers. If they wanted the game to be unplayable than that is their artistic vision"

-Davekeeh

#47 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15840 posts) -

Why move the PC to the living room when you can move the TV to just about anywhere? In my home and most of my friends' homes, the only ones who play in the living room are the little kiddies. The teens tend to want everything in their bedroom.

The only reason the PS3 is in the family room is because I said so. My eldest kid wanted it in her bedroom (again) where I can't get to it.

#48 Posted by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

Pretty good nutshell. An even smaller nutshell would be:

PC gaming, better; console gaming, easier.

#49 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

PC - 103 games released on Steam in November to choose from

Consoles - Knack or Killzone 4 No

#50 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3678 posts) -

@clyde46: Sorry if i sounded wrong in assuming PC gaming is not mainstream, i would conclude you know what i meant. I am also aware that those chip makers have other markets they cater to but one cannot deny that Nvidia seem butthurt by loosing out the console market to AMD. It is almost as if every Nvidia article is about how consoles are backwards, irrelevant and PC games is the main thing and what not. Right from February till Dec, i have read about four to five different articles about Nvidia crapping on consoles, if it does not affect their business so much, why the noise?. If consoles do not occupy a relevant part of the gaming industry, why is the gold standard at the moment?......I may not be the smartest guy in the room, but i sure as hell know that something works right if people flock out to buy a console than build a PC. But then again, thats just me init, console peasants