PC is the future of core games market

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

"The final boom market? The trusty PC - a platform whose death has been predicted countless times in the past decade, but which actually finds itself better equipped than almost any other to capitalise upon the market conditions in which we find ourselves.

Ironically, the PC's death has been predicted so many times precisely because the platform is so open and so network-friendly. As such, piracy has always been rife on the PC - so much so that plenty of publishers have hinted darkly about abandoning the platform entirely. Yet it's those same factors which now make the PC into one of the most exciting and dynamic games platforms on earth - now that bright developers have seen past the increasingly tired market for monolithic, £40 boxed games - a market which is so easy for piracy to destroy.

The PC's openness, its easy access to digital distribution services and its limitless potential for experimentation with new business models has led to a new breed of indie developers, creating some of the most fascinating games of recent years and increasingly joined by veteran studios and developers who find themselves energised by the possibilities of this resurgent platform. It's easy to get carried away, though - this is still a movement in its infancy - but more than any other platform, it's the PC and its burgeoning indie scene which is benefiting from the battening down of hatches in the console market. For the first time in years, the boy has stopped crying wolf over the death of the PC. Instead, everyone is watching this platform intently for a glimpse of what is almost certainly the future of the core games market."

Interesting article on some of the changes that are occuring in the gaming industry. Read the full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-12-riders-on-the-storm-gi-editorial?page=2

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
In other words you are saying that the pc platform is in a good standing without having many high budget games by showing how digital distrubition and indie unique games are holding it together. Good that, but what about us hardcore gamers who want high budget non arcade/2d games that use pc hardware capabilities? How will the big game companies go back to pc? I shouldnt be complaining there is BF3 and witcher 2. But bf only gets it becaue its an mp game and witcher 2 devs are practicly crying and begging to everyone not to pirate their game.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

witcher 2 devs are practicly crying and begging to everyone not to pirate their game.dakan45

Where have they done that?

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

In other words you are saying that the pc platform is in a good standing without having many high budget games by showing how digital distrubition and indie unique games are holding it together. Good that, but what about us hardcore gamers who want high budget non arcade/2d games that use pc hardware capabilities? How will the big game companies go back to pc? I shouldnt be complaining there is BF3 and witcher 2. But bf only gets it becaue its an mp game and witcher 2 devs are practicly crying and begging to everyone not to pirate their game.dakan45

Well, I would argue that many of those indie games are indeed good games for hardcore gamers. On the other hand, I do know what you mean about also wanting big budget games that take advantage of the extra capabilities of the PC platform. I think, though, that if enough new people are attracted to the PC as a gaming platform, and more money is being made in general, that some developers will be willing to take bigger risks on the platform.

MUR1217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MUR1217
Member since 2010 • 229 Posts

PC is existing because of its improvements.Everyweek or after a month there is somethimng better which improve the PC.Secondly there is no replacement to the multiple function PC can do along with providing high graphics gaming experience.Thirdly other gaming platforms donot have a replacement to the full features of a keyboard or a mouse which espicially PC gamers like.Fouthly the high investing hardware companies would never let it die because you donot require very high end computers if you donot use them for gaming.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]witcher 2 devs are practicly crying and begging to everyone not to pirate their game.lundy86_4

Tbh they have said many times that whilst they were taking a different, more respectful approach of the gamer, they really counted on everyone to reward them for it by not pirating.

Back on the subject, I totally disagree with those who claim there are no big budget games on the PC (there are just as many as on any other platform), all the more so when you consider that PC games' budgets are much less inflated by marketing/ads. I'd rather take a game like TW2 with less than 10 million euros spent by talented devs on making the game awesome, than those generic blockbuster games than spend half of their budget in advertising.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

but what about us hardcore gamers who want high budget non arcade/2d games that use pc hardware capabilities?dakan45

Here I thought most of the most "hardcore" games were arcade/2D games.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dakan45

lundy86_4

Trailers, hidden message "please dont pirate the game" and "buywitcher.com" afterwards.

[QUOTE="dakan45"]but what about us hardcore gamers who want high budget non arcade/2d games that use pc hardware capabilities?Yangire

That made no sense, but you are propably referring to the other guys post. For the record arcade 2d indie games like super meat boy are definetly not for the hardcore gamers. Neither are its graphics. I builted a powerfull rig for a reason. Thank got there is witcher 2 and bf3.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yangire

That made no sense, but you are propably referring to the other guys post. For the record arcade 2d indie games like super meat boy are definetly not for the hardcore gamers. Neither are its graphics. I builted a powerfull rig for a reason. Thank got there is witcher 2 and bf3.

dakan45

What do you think makes a hardcore game? To me it's difficulty, learning curve, length, etc. Hard games like Super Meat Boy and games ATF: Armored Task Force ARE hardcore even though they have poor graphics.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

dakan45

Learn to Shump. Just because a game doesn't use a rigs full potential does not mean its bad or not hardcore. Quite the opposite really.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dakan45

What do you think makes a hardcore game? To me it's difficulty, learning curve, length, etc. Hard games like Super Meat Boy and games ATF: Armored Task Force ARE hardcore even though they have poor graphics.

Yangire

More like ancient than hardcore and yes i am speaking gameplay wise. Reminds me the old games of snes with 2d scrollers.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]What do you think makes a hardcore game? To me it's difficulty, learning curve, length, etc. Hard games like Super Meat Boy and games ATF: Armored Task Force ARE hardcore even though they have poor graphics.

dakan45

More like ancient than hardcore and yes i am speaking gameplay wise. Reminds me the old games of snes with 2d scrollers.

Well it is a 2D platformer, and again.. What makes a game hardcore to you, graphics?

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Your definition of "core" must be wrong then.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]More like ancient than hardcore and yes i am speaking gameplay wise. Reminds me the old games of snes with 2d scrollers.

Yangire

Well it is a 2D platformer, and again.. What makes a game hardcore to you, graphics?

Never said that.Point is, gameplay wise games have evolved. Those^ havent. If you think there is something wrong with that. Then i guess witcher 2 is less hardcore for improving in its gameplay mechanics.

SuperFlakeman
Waited so long for someoen to say that. ;)
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

dakan45

Never said that.Point is, gameplay wise games have evolved. Those^ havent. If you think there is something wrong with that. Then i guess witcher 2 is less hardcore for improving in its gameplay mechanics.

SuperFlakeman

Waited so long for someoen to say that. ;)

Shumps have continued to evolve. If they became 3D they would either become impossible to play, or just be like all the euroshumps today. Overly easy, and boring to look at.

Just because something is 3D and has Xt3me Grwafixs, doesn't mean it has evolved beyond a 2D game. Play some DoDonPachi.

And unless SuperFlakemen was talking to you, neither of you seem to know what a hardcore game is about.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dakan45
Perhaps you wanan look on the definition of hardcore game then....OH WAIT!!!! People in this forums have been arguing that since the dawn of time and they never raeched a conclusion. So neither you know what a hardcore game is. ;)
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SuperFlakeman

Waited so long for someoen to say that. ;)dakan45

Just to be clear, since you're discussing the term hardcore, core is very different from hardcore.

Mario Kart Wii is a core Nintendo game, for instance (bridge title - both core and casual). Pokémon is also a franchise that caters to the core Nintendo userbase. Metroid is strictly a core game.

There is a huge core market on PC, undeniable, but it's not gonna be the leading platform for those type of games.

Hardcore, based on how the term is used by the majority of people, is another word for dudebro games such as GTA4, CoD 4, RDR and that type of games, that cater to a different type of casuals. Hardcore in reality, is the people who beat highscores in old arcade games, have 30 platinum trophys etc.

You're telling me that PC is the future platform for core games? Think again. Valve is a core PC developer. The previous statement doesn't hold up anymore since I can play most of their recent games on my PS3, lol. Blizzard is looking to port Diablo 3 to consoles too I heard? Well they teamed up with Activision, it will happen one day.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperFlakeman

And unless SuperFlakemen was talking to you, neither of you seem to know what a hardcore game is about.

OneSanitarium

"Core" =/= "Hardcore"

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

PC is the greatest zombie ever, it really takes after its mascot, yes, Arthas is PC gamings mascot, deal with it

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dakan45

Says the guy who overlooks 2D games because he "builted a powerfull rig".

OneSanitarium
Look i dont like this crap, Got it? Brign some real games like witcher 2 That worth my time and money.

[QUOTE="dakan45"] Waited so long for someoen to say that. ;)SuperFlakeman

Just to be clear, since you're discussing the term hardcore, core is very different from hardcore.

Mario Kart Wii is a core Nintendo game, for instance (bridge title - both core and casual). Pokémon is also a franchise that caters to the core Nintendo userbase. Metroid is strictly a core game.

There is a huge core market on PC, undeniable, but it's not gonna be the leading platform for those type of games.

Hardcore, based on how the term is used by the majority of people, is another word for dudebro games such as GTA4, CoD 4, RDR and that type of games, that cater to a different type of casuals. Hardcore in reality, is the people who beat highscores in old arcade games, have 30 platinum trophys etc.

You're telling me that PC is the future platform for core games? Think again. Valve is a core PC developer. The previous statement doesn't hold up anymore since I can play most of their recent games on my PS3, lol. Blizzard is looking to port Diablo 3 to consoles too I heard? Well they teamed up with Activision, it will happen one day.

I know very well what you meant. Pc is not the core makert consoles are.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Dakan, if you dislike PC games so much, how come you're on the PC forum all the time?

And if you like your big budget games, I suggest you stick with CoD, it's the only thing I haven't seen you bash.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Good that, but what about us hardcore gamers who want high budget non arcade/2d games dakan45
Well..they can find their fix only on PC too. In case you haven't noticed, hardcore games are dying out on consoles. In future the only choice you will have will be

hardcore with low-to medium budget = PC

casual with big budget = consoles/multiplats

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dakan45

Dakan, if you dislike PC games so much, how come you're on the PC forum all the time?

And if you like your big budget games, I suggest you stick with CoD, it's the only thing I haven't seen you bash.

coreybg
"dislike pc games so much" :roll: You mean the way i hype the wticher 2 to be the best game ever? Again :roll: and again :roll: Its not my fault pc is filled with arcadish indie low budget 2d crap. As for cod, it gets enough bashing as it is in ths forums. I might as well defend it since logic and fair judgement seems to be "Selective" and not fair.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdrianWerner

I know very well what you meant. Pc is not the core makert consoles are.dakan45
Yes. But at the same time consoles aren't hardcore market, this is something you can find only on PC.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"] I know very well what you meant. Pc is not the core makert consoles are.AdrianWerner

Yes. But at the same time consoles aren't hardcore market, this is something you can find only on PC.

Rts and rpgs also advetnrue games. So yeah makes sense. ;)
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"] I know very well what you meant. Pc is not the core makert consoles are.dakan45

Rts and rpgs also advetnrue games. So yeah makes sense. ;)

Indeed. That plus MMORPGs, simulators or tactical FPSes. PC is bassicaly the last place where really complex and deep games are doing great. And to be honest, we can thank consoles for that (alongside Digital distribution revolution of course). By 2004 hardcore PC gaming was on it's death bed, forced there by big budgeted pc centric titles. But since those went multiplat their sales fell through the floor on pc, thus leaving more breathing space for smaller niche devs. The result - ressurgence of typically PC-ish genres and game types.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

and yet (even including downloads) multiplats sellabysmally on the PC compared to consoles.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

[QUOTE="coreybg"]

dakan45

"dislike pc games so much" :roll: You mean the way i hype the wticher 2 to be the best game ever? Again :roll: and again :roll: Its not my fault pc is filled with arcadish indie low budget 2d crap. As for cod, it gets enough bashing as it is in ths forums. I might as well defend it since logic and fair judgement seems to be "Selective" and not fair.

So, short version:

PC is has aracade and 2d crap games, and you don't like CoD, but you defend it because everyone else is bashing it?

Now it all makes sense......oh wait

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AdrianWerner

and yet (even including downloads) multiplats sellabysmally on the PC compared to consoles.

arbitor365

Plenty of them sell very good on PC, often better than on consoles. So while one could say that generally multiplats sell better on consoles, it's also far from universal rule and there are dozens of examples of completely different outcomes.

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"] Trailers, hidden message "please dont pirate the game" and "buywitcher.com" afterwards.[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]but what about us hardcore gamers who want high budget non arcade/2d games that use pc hardware capabilities?dakan45

You builted? Whuuuuut. But 2D games can be extremely hardcore.
Tanya_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tanya_19
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts
pc will always be better, it doesnt mean that console isnt, but, pc will always be on top. sorry console gamers.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Perhaps you wanan look on the definition of hardcore game then....OH WAIT!!!! People in this forums have been arguing that since the dawn of time and they never raeched a conclusion. So neither you know what a hardcore game is. ;)dakan45

Nope, hardcore just never reached a clear definition. Everybody knows what concepts make a game hardcore, although there is some blur around it.

A gamer who plays Solitaire during work downtimes or a 10 year old girlie who plays The Sims 2 one hour a day are not as hardcore as a Fighting/RTS competitive gamer or a RPG enthusiast.

So no, you can't use the "we haven't agreed on what's hardcore" for your own argument, and it's an embarassing show of ignorance to do so.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N30F3N1X

"dislike pc games so much" :roll: You mean the way i hype the wticher 2 to be the best game ever? Again :roll: and again :roll: Its not my fault pc is filled with arcadish indie low budget 2d crap. As for cod, it gets enough bashing as it is in ths forums. I might as well defend it since logic and fair judgement seems to be "Selective" and not fair.dakan45

Seriously :lol: ?

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Trailers, hidden message "please dont pirate the game" and "buywitcher.com" afterwards.[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]but what about us hardcore gamers who want high budget non arcade/2d games that use pc hardware capabilities?dakan45

So you believe CoD games are more hardcore than Europa Universalis games, Hearts of Iron games, Victoria games, the original 2 Fallouts, Morrowind, CS 1.6, World of Warcraft, and Quake 3 Arena. Right.

Lonegunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lonegunn
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I stop using my pc to play high end games along time ago. Having to upgrade your computer every other week to play a new game gets annoying.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 N30F3N1X

I stop using my pc to play high end games along time ago. Having to upgrade your computer every other week to play a new game gets annoying.Lonegunn

Level 1, 2 posts, voluntary show of fallacies...

Obvious troll can't be more obvious.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonegunn"]I stop using my pc to play high end games along time ago. Having to upgrade your computer every other week to play a new game gets annoying.Jankarcop

why can't any anti-pc person here have a real arguement instead of lie all the time?

Requires more vespine gas
nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Perhaps you wanan look on the definition of hardcore game then....OH WAIT!!!! People in this forums have been arguing that since the dawn of time and they never raeched a conclusion. So neither you know what a hardcore game is. ;)N30F3N1X

Nope, hardcore just never reached a clear definition. Everybody knows what concepts make a game hardcore, although there is some blur around it.

A gamer who plays Solitaire during work downtimes or a 10 year old girlie who plays The Sims 2 one hour a day are not as hardcore as a Fighting/RTS competitive gamer or a RPG enthusiast.

So no, you can't use the "we haven't agreed on what's hardcore" for your own argument, and it's an embarassing show of ignorance to do so.

The way I see it, and what makes the most sense, is that there are no hardcore/casual games, only hardcore/casual gamers. Same scenario, what happens when the 10 year old girl play the Sims 2 religiously everyday 5-7 hours a day? That's a hardcore girl gamer that devotes her time to her most favorite game. It can be argued that most COD/Halo players are casual since all they do is play online for 5 minutes then move on.
PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

The hardware pushing envelope obviously slowed down, especially with the emergence of the casual market that includes the Facebook gaming crowd. PCs and mobile products in the end will be dominant in the overall scheme of things. Consoles will still maintain a very large core of gamers that are looking for games made for gamers, but all the console manufacturers will continue clamouring for casuals as well. The core gamers on PC will still enjoy a few good somewhat PC pushing exclusives for years to come, but ultimately multiplatforming is the future, unless the consoles somehow get killed off or just become less open PCs themselves, like they already are to varying degrees.

FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts

I'll stick with my MS and Nintendo consoles. If gaming ever became PC only, I'd most likely quit gaming.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

Trailers, hidden message "please dont pirate the game" and "buywitcher.com" afterwards.

dakan45

I\ve stayed away from all things The Witcher 2, so I didn't spoil anything :P

I hope this technique works for them, and that they garner a good amount of sales, rather than sticking to intrusive DRM.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N30F3N1X

The way I see it, and what makes the most sense, is that there are no hardcore/casual games, only hardcore/casual gamers. Same scenario, what happens when the 10 year old girl play the Sims 2 religiously everyday 5-7 hours a day? That's a hardcore girl gamer that devotes her time to her most favorite game. It can be argued that most COD/Halo players are casual since all they do is play online for 5 minutes then move on.nintendog66

Would you put a 10 year old girl who plays The Sims that much time a day on the same scale as a SC/CSS progamer?

alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 alexandros1313
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Consoles are on their deathbed. Pretty soon the PC will be the only device with games for the core gamer and the complexity issue will solve itself with fusion APUs and System-on-a-Chip. The writing's on the wall, the industry knows it and most companies are already preparing for the post-console era. The next generation of consoles will be the last and it will cause huge financial problems for the companies that make them.

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

I'll stick with my MS and Nintendo consoles. If gaming ever became PC only, I'd most likely quit gaming.

FPSDad1161

This. I just dont enjoy PC gaming at all.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]

DillonShwing

This. I just dont enjoy PC gaming at all.

because you've never gamed on a gaming pc. i honestly cant think of a person that wouldnt enjoy pc gaming.
demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

Seems to be the only one that doesnt cater to the casual crowd. I think the TC meant core gamers are the ones who grew up playing games and not necessarily the hardcore ones who go out and buy everything console or build a super expensive computer.

Nintendo doesnt care about the traditional or hardcore gamers as they have pretty much captured the casual market.

Microsoft has the casual gamers who play nothing but shooters like CoD and they're trying to branch out to the casual market.

Sony tries to please every niche market but have been plagued with problems like the recent data breach.

The PC is a platform that can appeal to any market. It's got social media and flash games for the casual, MMO's for the addictive gamers, and titles like Crysis and Metro 2033 that put powerful rigs to the test.