PC Gaming misconceptions

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

Whenever there is any sort of game we also hear how PC gaming does this or that.

Hermits despite buying graphic cards that literally cost more than the PS4/Xbox One themselves fail to understand that when devs make these games, PC is kind of just there. Like an afterthought.

Devs make their money from consoles, atleast the money that funds them to further produce next gen games instead of 2D indie crap.

Mod support died with the PS360 gen, CoD 4 was one of the last games that had mod support on PC outside of Valve games.

CoD Ghost, BF4, AC4, three huge multiplat games ended up extremely unfinished and PC...oh and theres a lot more I can list these are just the most recent ones.

PC gamers make PC gaming sound god tier, its not. PC gaming is different yeah but its not for everyone, the average person who lives a productive life probably (85% typically) won't PC game.

Some PC games require you to tweak them or find shortcuts to get them running fine, this is usually seen on multiplats.

Just because PC has the hardware does not mean devs are making games to take advantage of it, so when you see someone say GTX 800 is x times more powerful, it doesn't mean anything when Consoles are the target, not PC.

The gaming landscape is different, todays generation of kids/teenagers grow up with tablets, laptops, Xbox, PS, and Wii, you really think they want to deal with something like a PC when there are easier more straight forward alternatives?

The PC market is shrinking for a reason, I've never seen a PC gamer irl and I go to a major Uni in the Northeast USA.

PC gamers are a vocal minority fighting to make PC gaming sound more relevant than it really is.

Oh and yeah just because Steam has a high amount of concurrent users online at once doesn't mean anything since a lot of people with Steam actually don't game, the program is usually just left on and running.

PC high end market is shrinking and devs know this, Crysis is/was the last of a AAA game built soley for PC in mind.

Star Citizen will probably go multiplat like all quality PC games do, Planetside 2, Warframe, and Diablo being the most recent examples.

Yeah, I had to set everything straight with what PC gaming is all about.

#2 Posted by padaporra (3357 posts) -

There is only one misconception about pc gaming: that every pc can run every game maxed out and with 60fps.

#3 Edited by MBirdy88 (7026 posts) -

the level of fail.

#4 Posted by lawlessx (46185 posts) -

"Mod support died with the PS360 gen, CoD 4 was one of the last games that had mod support on PC outside of Valve games."

See..now..if you knew what you were actually talking about i'd read the rest of your post.

#5 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

How clueless you are.

#6 Posted by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

There is only one misconception about pc gaming: that every pc can run every game maxed out and with 60fps.

PC gamers do make it seem like everyone can run their games maxed out and major resolutions when realistically they are a tiny % of the market.

#7 Posted by Suppaman100 (3507 posts) -

PC gaming is overrated.

They only exclusive games they get are indies and sometimes an RTS or mediocre FPS.

PC only gamers miss out....on almost everything.

#8 Edited by MBirdy88 (7026 posts) -

PC gaming is overrated.

They only exclusive games they get are indies and sometimes an RTS or mediocre FPS.

you try too hard.

#9 Edited by lawlessx (46185 posts) -

@padaporra said:

PC gamers do make it seem like everyone can run their games maxed out and major resolutions when realistically they are a tiny % of the market.

and console gamers seem to think PC gamers are forced to upgrade video cards every year.

#10 Posted by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

PC gaming is overrated.

Exactly, theres a huge difference in PC exclusives to console exclusives.

PC exclusives tend to definitely be for a more niche audience.

Console exclusives tend to be for everyone, they drive the market forward visually and through gameplay mechanics.

I'm expecting PC gamers do disagree but understand this, console gamers win GOTY on a yearly basis here.

#11 Edited by X1PS4Life (243 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@x1ps4life said:

@padaporra said:

and console gamers seem to think PC gamers are forced to upgrade video cards every year.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/assassins_creed_4_black_flag/news/ubisoft_provides_statement_on_ac4_pc_optimisation_proud_of_pc_version.html

When devs make unoptimized games like this and CoD ghost people feel they need to upgrade/do because of unoptimization.

#12 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1245 posts) -

@x1ps4life said:

I've never seen a PC gamer irl and I go to a major Uni in the Northeast USA.

What exactly does this mean? Are PC gamers branded, or do you go off of stereotypical features in the difficult task of discerning non-gamer, handheld gamer, pc gamer, and console gamer?

#13 Posted by MBirdy88 (7026 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

PC gaming is overrated.

Exactly, theres a huge difference in PC exclusives to console exclusives.

PC exclusives tend to definitely be for a more niche audience.

Console exclusives tend to be for everyone, they drive the market forward visually and through gameplay mechanics.

I'm expecting PC gamers do disagree but understand this, console gamers win GOTY on a yearly basis here.

What are the most played exclusives on any system?

If your not saying League of Legends, World of Warcraft and DoTA2, you are flat out wrong. oh and maybe World of Tanks....

"niche" audience... oh how delusional.

#14 Posted by Suppaman100 (3507 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

PC gaming is overrated.

you try too hard.

you don't try at all.

#15 Edited by MBirdy88 (7026 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

PC gaming is overrated.

you try too hard.

you don't try at all.

why try when you make moronic comments for reactions?

#16 Posted by clyde46 (43257 posts) -

Pc gaming is awesome.

#17 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Mod support died with the PS360 gen, CoD 4 was one of the last games that had mod support on PC outside of Valve games.

wut

#18 Edited by padaporra (3357 posts) -

Well, when games like Rome II, that should be a beacon of PC gaming, comes out as a mess, you have to wonder.

#19 Edited by lawlessx (46185 posts) -
@x1ps4life said:

@lawlessx said:

@x1ps4life said:

@padaporra said:

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/assassins_creed_4_black_flag/news/ubisoft_provides_statement_on_ac4_pc_optimisation_proud_of_pc_version.html

When devs make unoptimized games like this and CoD ghost people feel they need to upgrade/do because of unoptimization.

that doesn't make any sense.

Are you just gonna ignore my other comment about mod support?

#20 Edited by Suppaman100 (3507 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

PC gaming is overrated.

you try too hard.

you don't try at all.

I was just stating facts, sucks you can't refute them and therefore go the ad hominem route.

#21 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38113 posts) -

Mods died out around CoD4? Dafuq? Have you not seen the modding community for Skyrim? Or even how a mod fixed PC Dark Souls?

Plus one thing a lot of people don't realise is PC gaming is cheaper at launch than consoles, you don't even need to wait for a sale

#22 Posted by Innovazero2000 (3117 posts) -

My new Radeon 7870 Ghz edition OC only cost $160. (Thank you Microcenter deals) So I fail to see that point. Secondly the 85% don't game percentage it hearsay without actual evidence. Give it a year, like consoles it will only get better. With the new consoles the PCs bottom line has finally shot up. I can't wait to see some proper UE4 engine games.

#23 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6157 posts) -

so All I see here is pretty much people knowing nothing about pc gaming of the economics of the games industry, trying to convince themselfes that they know anything at all... got it.

Nexxt time look up numbers, and grab facts, ofcourse those will by large disapprove your point.

#24 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15615 posts) -
#25 Posted by clyde46 (43257 posts) -

I wish MS hadn't canned Flight Simulator.

#26 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16374 posts) -

LOL Consolite circle jerk thread. You kids have fun.

#27 Edited by ronvalencia (15103 posts) -

@x1ps4life said:

Whenever there is any sort of game we also hear how PC gaming does this or that.

Hermits despite buying graphic cards that literally cost more than the PS4/Xbox One themselves fail to understand that when devs make these games, PC is kind of just there. Like an afterthought.

Devs make their money from consoles, atleast the money that funds them to further produce next gen games instead of 2D indie crap.

CoD Ghost, BF4, AC4, three huge multiplat games ended up extremely unfinished and PC...oh and theres a lot more I can list these are just the most recent ones.

PC gamers make PC gaming sound god tier, its not. PC gaming is different yeah but its not for everyone, the average person who lives a productive life probably (85% typically) won't PC game.

Some PC games require you to tweak them or find shortcuts to get them running fine, this is usually seen on multiplats.

Just because PC has the hardware does not mean devs are making games to take advantage of it, so when you see someone say GTX 800 is x times more powerful, it doesn't mean anything when Consoles are the target, not PC.

The gaming landscape is different, todays generation of kids/teenagers grow up with tablets, laptops, Xbox, PS, and Wii, you really think they want to deal with something like a PC when there are easier more straight forward alternatives?

The PC market is shrinking for a reason, I've never seen a PC gamer irl and I go to a major Uni in the Northeast USA.

PC gamers are a vocal minority fighting to make PC gaming sound more relevant than it really is.

Oh and yeah just because Steam has a high amount of concurrent users online at once doesn't mean anything since a lot of people with Steam actually don't game, the program is usually just left on and running.

PC high end market is shrinking and devs know this, Crysis is/was the last of a AAA game built soley for PC in mind.

Star Citizen will probably go multiplat like all quality PC games do, Planetside 2, Warframe, and Diablo being the most recent examples.

Yeah, I had to set everything straight with what PC gaming is all about.

AMD Radeon HD R9-290's $399 USD cost less than Xbone LOL, price matched with PS4 and it's comparable to Titan/780.

Don't use NVIDIA as a price guidance for PC gaming. NVIDIA can NOT be trusted for consumer friendly prices.

From http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/global-pc-gaming-hardware-sales-shrug-off-pc-market-decline/

"Global PC Gaming Hardware Sales Shrug off PC Market Decline".

TIBURON, CA - AUGUST 7, 2013

- In a challenged PC market one user group is standing firm against the winds of change blowing many casual computer users to the "good enough" mindset behind sales of tablets and cloud computing devices-PC gamers.

PC gamers continue to buy and build with a fervency that could be compared to motorcycle, 4X4, and sports car enthusiasts, always looking for more speed, power, utility, and handling.

------------

"PC gaming" is growing.

#28 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15615 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I wish MS hadn't canned Flight Simulator.

We'll see if MS will seat idly by and let other flight sims take over. To be fair, FSX was quite advanced (and far more flexible) compared to its peers during initial release.

#29 Posted by PannicAtack (20837 posts) -

Was TC trying to list as many factually incorrect statements as he could?

#30 Posted by MBirdy88 (7026 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

PC gaming is overrated.

you try too hard.

you don't try at all.

I was just stating facts, sucks you can't refute them and therefore go the ad hominem route.

again, trying to hard.

#31 Edited by Chrome- (1660 posts) -

PC gaming is overrated

#32 Posted by clyde46 (43257 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

PC gaming is overrated.

you try too hard.

you don't try at all.

You can't pass off those opinions as facts champ.

#33 Posted by ronvalencia (15103 posts) -

@Chrome- said:

PC gaming is overrated

TC's post is BS.

#34 Posted by ankor77 (932 posts) -

I think when people are comparing the costs of a nice gaming PC to the cost of a 400-500 dollar console are missing one key point. Most households are going to have a PC in the house anyways weather it be a desktop or Laptop. A regular non gaming spec PC is in the area of $500 bucks. A gaming PC can be had for 1000 bucks(not god tier but better hardware than my PS4 and XB1). So there real cost is 500 dollars or so. Its an additonal 500 dollars to have the computer you are already going to buy to be PC gaming ready.

#35 Posted by Jankarcop (8777 posts) -

Almost everything you wrote was factually incorrect.

#36 Posted by True_Gamer_ (5969 posts) -

@ankor77:

@ankor77 said:

I think when people are comparing the costs of a nice gaming PC to the cost of a 400-500 dollar console are missing one key point. Most households are going to have a PC in the house anyways weather it be a desktop or Laptop. A regular non gaming spec PC is in the area of $500 bucks. A gaming PC can be had for 1000 bucks(not god tier but better hardware than my PS4 and XB1). So there real cost is 500 dollars or so. Its an additonal 500 dollars to have the computer you are already going to buy to be PC gaming ready.

CD keys for PC games (steam origin uplay etc) can be found at €20-€25 release day. Console games cost €60....

#37 Posted by ronvalencia (15103 posts) -

My new Radeon 7870 Ghz edition OC only cost $160. (Thank you Microcenter deals) So I fail to see that point. Secondly the 85% don't game percentage it hearsay without actual evidence. Give it a year, like consoles it will only get better. With the new consoles the PCs bottom line has finally shot up. I can't wait to see some proper UE4 engine games.

FYI http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003523l

Non-reference cooler equipped Radeon HD 7950 Boost Edition for $170.66 (from Newegg).

#38 Edited by kitty (114204 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

PC gaming is overrated.

you try too hard.

you don't try at all.

You can't pass off those opinions as facts champ.

To him, everything he posts is a fact. Must be stuck in that fantasy land of his. He seems to know everything about stuff he doesn't own.

#39 Posted by PannicAtack (20837 posts) -

TC, you're point about there not being any mod support since COD4 is factually false.

Will you admit it?

#40 Posted by Jankarcop (8777 posts) -

TC, you're point about there not being any mod support since COD4 is factually false.

Will you admit it?

Most of his points are false.

PC has a bigger player base than any single console, more devs, more games, more online players....he's lying through his teeth.

#41 Posted by soulitane (13367 posts) -

Will you admit it?

Expecting a troll to admit when they're wrong? You'll be lucky =p

#42 Posted by Spartan070 (16303 posts) -

This. "Oh you have a gaming PC? Then you'll have no problem running TW3 at 1440p, 75fps..."

Other than that and the occasional BOSS exclusive missed, not much to complain about with PC gaming.

#43 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

So much fail in the OP, and so much fail coming from console kids in the thread.

#44 Posted by NoodleFighter (6939 posts) -

I see console gamers are still stuck in the past, just like their hardware

#45 Posted by adamosmaki (9339 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

"Mod support died with the PS360 gen, CoD 4 was one of the last games that had mod support on PC outside of Valve games."

See..now..if you knew what you were actually talking about i'd read the rest of your post.

yeah that caught my attention as well. I must be dreaming i'm playing Fallout NV and Civ V with dozens of mods

#46 Posted by lostrib (30931 posts) -

Mods, why do you allow this bullshit to continue?

#47 Edited by lunar1122 (653 posts) -

OP seems to be very sad at the amount of butt hurt pc gaming is dishing out to consolites. this is umteenth thread trying to bash pc gaming.

FAILLLLLLLLLL yet again.

Here is what OP is truly very sad about that makes him want to slit his neck

i got this post saved for anyone that tries to tarnish the name of master race... Feel shame, feel very ashamed.All hail lord Gaben

While you consolites have big worries for future games and performance.. With the inevitable downgrade to 720p that's eventually going to happen to all next gen games to keep up with pc, Here is what i will be playing on my R9 290x 1080p maxed out

Assassins Creed Black Flag/Watchdogs/Titanfall/Witcher 3/Murdered Soul Suspect/Battlefield 4/Heroes of the storm/The Division/ Thief/Need for speed rivals/Project Cars/Project Spark/Dark Souls/The Jungle/ Star Citizen/ Wolfenstein/ The Evil within/ Dying Light/CastleVania/South Park stick of truth/Arma 3/Path of Exile/League Of legends/Dota 2/Heart Stone/The witness/The Crew/Sims 4/ Mad Max/Mirrors Edge2/Battlefront/Batman Arkham Origins/Warthunder

For every Game Cube game = Dolphin Emulator

For every Wii game = Dolphin Emulator

For every playstation 2 game = Pcsx2 emulator

For every Super nintendo game = SNES emulator

For every nintendo 64 game = Project 64 emulator

For every Nintendo DS/GBA game= No$gba emulator

For every PSP game = PPSSPP emulator

For every arcade game that was important in the 80's 90's = MAME emulator.. Best version of killer instinct 1 and 2 is on mame.

For every Sega Dream cast game = Null PC emulator

For every IOS/ANDROID phone games= Pc got you covered as well, there is emulator for it

there is no stopping the master race.

#48 Posted by Ginosaji (965 posts) -

Mods died with CoD4? PC market is shrinking? Non-gamers keep Steam running just to inflate statistics? Are you even trying?

I see console gamers are still stuck in the past, just like their hardware

Sick burn.

#49 Edited by Vaasman (11092 posts) -

The only mis-anything here was the misstep the mods made in letting you stay after your other shitty fucking threads.

#50 Posted by naz99 (959 posts) -

Oh look another Console fan boy who has just self owned by being wrong in nearly every one of his points..

This usually never happens....*snigger*