PC Gaming is a Fraud

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Wasdie: Eh...that's down the road. Anyway I don't see why PC gamers are in SW arguing. Two different animals.

because is sw not console wars. Now if a specific thread is about a console vs console is another think. And what a thread with the title pc gaming is a fraud and you expect not to argue ?

Which means PC gamers are what? Insecure with their decision? Anyway my point was that it's foolish to compare the two different gaming mediums. A console will never be a PC and the reverse. It's like comparing oranges and apples. Until consoles allow for upgrades....they shouldn't be compared. And once they do.....will they really be consoles?

What? If this was called console wars you have every right to complain about it. Its called system wars ( includes the pc ) how hard is it to understand it. And we are comparing gaming on those platforms so yes its quite fair to compare them to pc like it or not

It was always called SW....but they didn't use to let PC in. I just think it's silly for PCs to be compared to consoles. You aren't going to change my mind on that. I don't see them as the same format. The differences are just too vast IMO.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Wasdie: Eh...that's down the road. Anyway I don't see why PC gamers are in SW arguing. Two different animals.

because is sw not console wars. Now if a specific thread is about a console vs console is another think. And what a thread with the title pc gaming is a fraud and you expect not to argue ?

Which means PC gamers are what? Insecure with their decision? Anyway my point was that it's foolish to compare the two different gaming mediums. A console will never be a PC and the reverse. It's like comparing oranges and apples. Until consoles allow for upgrades....they shouldn't be compared. And once they do.....will they really be consoles?

What? If this was called console wars you have every right to complain about it. Its called system wars ( includes the pc ) how hard is it to understand it. And we are comparing gaming on those platforms so yes its quite fair to compare them to pc like it or not

Well an apple and an orange are both fruit and we eat them. So I guess we can compare. But wait....what does the saying about apples and oranges really mean? That they are different enough that comparing them is foolish.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

battlefield 4 on my pc i3 paired with a gtx660 superclock. ultra setting 1080 p 50+fps.....love btw putting an i5 4th gen cpu in this bad boy nextwerk..

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Well an apple and an orange are both fruit and we eat them. So I guess we can compare. But wait....what does the saying about apples and oranges really mean? That they are different enough that comparing them is foolish.

Nobody says that.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

on tastes better than the other . See ? i compared them and doesnt sound stupid. According to SW rules is pc included in the comparisons here ? If so then yes we will compare it on consoles on topics created here so i dont get what are you arguing about. If you dont like it tough luck i guess

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

on tastes better than the other . See ? i compared them and doesnt sound stupid. According to SW rules is pc included in the comparisons here ? If so then yes we will compare it on consoles on topics created here so i dont get what are you arguing about. If you dont like it tough luck i guess

LOL man that just means you don't understand the phrase....

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

i perfectly understand the phrase is apples vs oranges despite my native language is not english. What you dont understand is that pc is considered a part of SW so people here will compare it to what console they want so i dont get why are you arguing that. Now if there is a specific thread about PS4 vs X1 you can argue there is no place for pc comments on that specific topic but otherwise on sw we will continue to compare a pc vs consoles

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

The PC vs PS4 vs Xbox One comparision by Digital Foundry is such a load of crap.

They used TWO Radeon 7970 graphics cards for the PC.

Just how insane is that? Let me count the ways. For starters, thats well over $700 worth of graphic cards. The PSU you need to run two 7970s? Around $200. I'll just stop there, but you see how rediculous that is.

The fair way to do the comparison would be to use a popular, affordable graphics card. Like a Geforce 660 or 560 Ti and a simple AMD quad core processor @ 3.0ghz. You know, something an average pc gamer probably has.

But nooooo. Loser hermits have to stroke their ego by making the comparision with impossibly expensive hardware almost nobody has. After they trashed the PS4 for months theres no way they can possibly let it look just as good if not better then the PC version.

I'm really fed up with Hermits and their buyer remorse. They pay 6x the money of console players to run Crysis at 50 fps. and 1080p. Because they just realized their epic fail they want to bash and trash cows and lemmings and sheep.

PC gaming is dead outside of steam. At Walmart they've had the same games for sale there for the last 3 years. The same old crap. If you get into PC gaming you have no choice but to bow down to steam. You cant choose sony, nintendo, or microsoft like console fans do.

PC gaming is one of the biggest frauds there is. The rediculous PS4 vs Xbox One vs PC comparison proves it.

1. What makes you think a single 7970 wont offer better visuals than a ps4 ( the gap between the 2 is quite big )

2. You will be surprised how much it takes to build a pc with an i5 cpu and a good 650-700w psu and 2 79xx series gpu from Amd

3. If pc gaming is only steam explain me greenmangaming,gamersgate,gog,origins,getgames and blizzards online service ( hell now every other big publisher puts out a DD service like Ubisoft with uplay )

4. An affordable Gpu is a 7950 ($250 ) a card that hit 2,87tflops (compare this to ps4's combined cpu gpu 1,84tflops you troll )

5.Relax and take a reality pill. A $700-800 pc is better in graphics than Ps4

6. Ps4 is really good for what it is. An affordable $400 console with great graphics but again face it it wont match a good gaming pc

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx795atdkc

7950 at 925Mhz yields 3.3152 TFLOPS for $245.66

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

i perfectly understand the phrase is apples vs oranges despite my native language is not english. What you dont understand is that pc is considered a part of SW so people here will compare it to what console they want so i dont get why are you arguing that. Now if there is a specific thread about PS4 vs X1 you can argue there is no place for pc comments on that specific topic but otherwise on sw we will continue to compare a pc vs consoles

*sigh* In the past actually PC wasn't discussed in SW.....it depends on what GS allows. It just as easily....as the past did....disallows it. Nonetheless.....my point is simple.

A PC is a different than consoles. And I really don't understand why any PC user would spin his wheels arguing here. It gives me a negative impression.....yes. But hey....have at it if you want. Justify yourself and your purchase to console owners.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

@lostrib said:

they wanted to see how the next gen versions stack up to the best possible graphics of the game

Yeah, that's pretty clear. I don't see why this is an issue at all and further if you're going to be gaming on a console you're taking slightly gimped graphics for affordability. It's not a horrible trade off and it's been that way for years... The PC vs. Console argument is probably the dumbest on SW.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 granddogg

^^^^^^^^we here because its fun. relax man

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By granddogg

and btw if you missed it i have an i3 with a gtx 660 sc battlefield 4 1080p ultra setting getting 50+ fps

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@granddogg said:

and btw if you missed it i have an i3 with a gtx 660 sc battlefield 4 1080p ultra setting getting 50+ fps

That's it?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@granddogg said:

That's it?

That's better than a PS4 as that's NOT running on Ultra settings. Also the PC lacks the garbage pop up the PS4 has. Which is hilarious. Another generaiton and STILL suffering from pop-up and aliasing. Jeebus, PC solved those issues AGES ago.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic

@Kinthalis said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@granddogg said:

That's it?

That's better than a PS4 as that's NOT running on Ultra settings. Also the PC lacks the garbage pop up the PS4 has. Which is hilarious. Anothe generaiton and STILL suffering from pop-up and liasing. Jeebus, PC solved those issues AGES ago.

But it's not a top of the line PC dude. Why would you compare your PC to a PS4 though.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Kinthalis

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Kinthalis said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@granddogg said:

That's it?

That's better than a PS4 as that's NOT running on Ultra settings. Also the PC lacks the garbage pop up the PS4 has. Which is hilarious. Anothe generaiton and STILL suffering from pop-up and liasing. Jeebus, PC solved those issues AGES ago.

But it's not a top of the line PC dude. Why would you compare your PC to a PS4 though.

Wasn't that his point?

The TC started this silly thread because he mad. He mad at the world for making PC gaming. So he goes off on a rant on how it's not FAIR!!! simply not FAIR! for consoles ot be compared to expensive PC's. He says it shoudl be compared to mid range PC's.

So the guy I'm quoting does exactly that, and shows that even at lowish-mid range, the PC plays the game better than a PS4. Completley invalidating the butthurt conslites original rant.

A thing of beauty, really.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@adamosmaki said:

*sigh* In the past actually PC wasn't discussed in SW.....it depends on what GS allows. It just as easily....as the past did....disallows it. Nonetheless.....my point is simple.

A PC is a different than consoles. And I really don't understand why any PC user would spin his wheels arguing here. It gives me a negative impression.....yes. But hey....have at it if you want. Justify yourself and your purchase to console owners.

PC has been part of System Wars for a longer time than not. PC can be a games machine just like someone can use a console for its media functions so it fits in perfectly here.

No justification necessary, that's just the way it is.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Kinthalis

SYSTEM wars not console wars.

The vita and 3DS are also talked about, as are phones and ipads... though not as much - mostly because.. who cares around here about those devices?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic

@Kinthalis said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Kinthalis said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@granddogg said:

That's it?

Wasn't that his point?

The TC started this silly thread because he mad. He mad at the world for making PC gaming. So he goes off on a rant on how it's not FAIR!!! simply not FAIR! for consoles ot be compared to expensive PC's. He says it shoudl be compared to mid range PC's.

So the guy I'm quoting does exactly that, and shows that even at lowish-mid range, the PC plays the game better than a PS4. Completley invalidating the butthurt conslites original rant.

A thing of beauty, really.

My question is in general really. Why compare a PC to any console. Even at mid range.....the range is changing constantly. A console does not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

The butthurt is strong with TC.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Like Nintendo, pc is for nostalgia purposes. For those that cannot get over the fact that the late 90s to 2006 is a distant memory.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@lostrib said:

they wanted to see how the next gen versions stack up to the best possible graphics of the game

They said "PC wins"

Hermits see this as ownage.

Look at the steam hardware survey. A small fraction of hermits actually have something better then a 7850

What % of cows have a PS4?

That's hardly a sensible argument.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

The PC vs PS4 vs Xbox One comparision by Digital Foundry is such a load of crap.

Just how insane is that? Let me count the ways. For starters, thats well over $700 worth of graphic cards. The PSU you need to run two 7970s? Around $200. I'll just stop there, but you see how rediculous that is.

The fair way to do the comparison would be to use a popular, affordable graphics card. Like a Geforce 660 or 560 Ti and a simple AMD quad core processor @ 3.0ghz. You know, something an average pc gamer probably has.

But nooooo. Loser hermits have to stroke their ego by making the comparision with impossibly expensive hardware almost nobody has. After they trashed the PS4 for months theres no way they can possibly let it look just as good if not better then the PC version.

I'm really fed up with Hermits and their buyer remorse. They pay 6x the money of console players to run Crysis at 50 fps. and 1080p. Because they just realized their epic fail they want to bash and trash cows and lemmings and sheep.

PC gaming is dead outside of steam. At Walmart they've had the same games for sale there for the last 3 years. The same old crap. If you get into PC gaming you have no choice but to bow down to steam. You cant choose sony, nintendo, or microsoft like console fans do.

PC gaming is one of the biggest frauds there is. The rediculous PS4 vs Xbox One vs PC comparison proves it.

Your ignorance is entertaining. Thanks for posting something so stupid so I had something to laugh at. When DF is comparing, they are using a top end PC to show you what you can do on PC if you wish to spend the money to do so. While Steam is great, your Walmart and "If you get into PC gaming you have no choice but to bow down to steam" comments just go to show how little you know about PC gaming. We have plenty of other DD services to pick from as well as online retail like Amazon for example. But please, continue on crying like a baby about something you clearly know nothing about, I find it rather amusing to watch your mental breakdown.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

So basically you are saying that the PC should kneecap itself so that the consoles can fare better in a comparison?

Here's the thing: The fact that the PC has the ability to have various configurations to accommodate pretty much any user at multiple price points makes it clear and away the best platform.

Don't get me started on the software available.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic

While I don't agree with TC.....gaming on PC is gaming. And it's perfectly legitimate and fine to do so. That said....the gamers tend to be a bit different in outlook. Not talking about those who do both obviously.

Some people are really into constantly buying the new tech upgrades. Some don't want to be bothered. Some have more income to spend on gaming....some have families and other interests.

The games are slightly different in scope as well. The genres that are most prevalent on one are not necessarily the most interest to someone of a different gaming device.

I still think comparing PCs to consoles is strange. And I'd think someone with a high end gaming rig wouldn't be bothered to do. To me SW has always been a bit about justifying one's choice to oneself at the heart. And I can't understand someone with the highest possible device to want to do that. But I guess some might need to justify that expense to themselves.

Anyway....have at it.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Eh the amount of PC users who actually use a big bad ass kickass rig are pretty small. The amount of games to come out each year that actually take advantage of rigs like that is even smaller.

Hell my PC isn't anything fancy because starting about 8 years ago I realized my annual upgrades weren't actually doing anything and that hardware outpaces 98% of games by a huge leap. That's why my game pc with core 15 2500, 8gb of ram, gtx 670 can run 98% of games out right at max settings without a single problem. And it will continue to do so for another 2 years.

And the benefits of the pc vs console version are marginal. Yeah the graphics might look a decent amount better but the game is still the exact same game whether you play it on a pc or a console, the game isn't somehow magically transformed into a better and different game. Dishonored is still a great game for the exact same reasons on a pc as it is on a pc. Only benefit is mods on a pc but I don't care about that because I buy skyrim to play skyrim, not to ride around dressed as a hotdog riding a zombie donkey and shoot flowers out of my ass. I can watch a youtube video of that and get the same effect.

A PC is good for playing exclusive pc games. But the majority of pc exclusives are cheap mmo games or little indie titles that are a dime a dozen and with a lot of indie developers jumping to consoles the amount of good pc exclusive indie games will shrink. Meanwhile any store you go into has a tiny pc section that is 90% sims3 expansions and world of wacraft. Yeah yeah I know "but pc has quadrillions of users playing games every nano second! Look at this unofficial chart!" well all of those quadrillions of users are 85% facebook games, website java based tower defense games, runescape, minecraft and solitaire, or games where you use a fly swatter to smash flies, or play zynga games. The vast majority of PCs huge gigantic audience is middle aged women on a computer at work playing Farmville, or some guy wasting time in his cubicle at work.

PC gaming as a whole really is a fraud in how its hardcore users represent it.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Steam has 65 Million active users. Xbone Live has only 48 Million accounts. Owned.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Kinthalis

@Gargus said:

Eh the amount of PC users who actually use a big bad ass kickass rig are pretty small. The amount of games to come out each year that actually take advantage of rigs like that is even smaller.

Hell my PC isn't anything fancy because starting about 8 years ago I realized my annual upgrades weren't actually doing anything and that hardware outpaces 98% of games by a huge leap. That's why my game pc with core 15 2500, 8gb of ram, gtx 670 can run 98% of games out right at max settings without a single problem. And it will continue to do so for another 2 years.

And the benefits of the pc vs console version are marginal. Yeah the graphics might look a decent amount better but the game is still the exact same game whether you play it on a pc or a console, the game isn't somehow magically transformed into a better and different game. Dishonored is still a great game for the exact same reasons on a pc as it is on a pc. Only benefit is mods on a pc but I don't care about that because I buy skyrim to play skyrim, not to ride around dressed as a hotdog riding a zombie donkey and shoot flowers out of my ass. I can watch a youtube video of that and get the same effect.

A PC is good for playing exclusive pc games. But the majority of pc exclusives are cheap mmo games or little indie titles that are a dime a dozen and with a lot of indie developers jumping to consoles the amount of good pc exclusive indie games will shrink. Meanwhile any store you go into has a tiny pc section that is 90% sims3 expansions and world of wacraft. Yeah yeah I know "but pc has quadrillions of users playing games every nano second! Look at this unofficial chart!" well all of those quadrillions of users are 85% facebook games, website java based tower defense games, runescape, minecraft and solitaire, or games where you use a fly swatter to smash flies, or play zynga games. The vast majority of PCs huge gigantic audience is middle aged women on a computer at work playing Farmville, or some guy wasting time in his cubicle at work.

You're not a PC gamer, are you? Or you are the most cluless PC gamer I've ever met.

Mods aren't just about trippy, silly things. If you were a PC gamer, you'd know that. PC games benefit from mods, from the choice of input device, from performance and technology.

The amount of time spent on a PS3 in loading screens while playing mass effect 2 is CRIMINAL. Upto a minute and 40 seconds for loading screens that you have to go through 10-20 times every session!

Lol. Fuk that. I'd rather PLAY my games.

I'll take much more immersive experience, specially when the "Extra" I have to pay for it, COMPLETELY vanishes when you take game prices into account. This year alone, in AAA game pre-orders I sves over $140 over console gamers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Okay, let's make this a FAIR comparison shall we:

Let's compare what the average PC gamer has to what the average console gamer has.

People don't have PS4s and Xbones yet, so the comparison is over. PC wins by default

What a great comparison if we use your standards -_-

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By heretrix

@Gargus said:

Bullshit.

Even if 1 percent of the people use the PC to it's fullest potential it doesn't negate the fact that anyone with the means to do so can make an incredible PC and utilize it for a wide variety of uses. Consoles will never be able to replicate that no matter how much they try.

Sure, game development on the PC is hampered by shortsighted publishers and developers beholden to them, but the fact remains that the potential is there. Consoles are SEVERELY now and will always be hampered by their hardware and idiotic publishing/development fuckery... it's the very nature of the system. At least on the PC you have LOTS more alternatives.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Kinthalis

Last time I checked the Steam survey about 11+ million Steam users have a PC that meets or beats a PS4.

That was a month or two ago, and who knows when the latest data was compiled. My guess is that number will grow by a couple of million by next year given the huge hardware sales going on now and coming up next year.

And that's JUST steam and people who participated on the survey. The total tally of PC gamers with matchign or better hardware is probably larger.

It's going to take the PS4 about 1.5 to 2 years or so to reach that install base. And by then the PC install base will be even larger.

So again, this whole argument: BUT BUT not ALL PC gamers on the entirety fo the planet have a kick ass rig! So consoles win! Herp derp!

Is utter crap.

NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts
@Gargus said:

I agree with you on this: there are indeed millions of people playing PC games. A majority of them do indeed play their rinky-dink Flash games and Farmville. Anyone who attempts to cite those numbers for PC superiority is a fool, because everyone can use a computer and the number of computer users in comparison to computer gamers is highly skewed. A dog could learn how to use a computer if it had thumbs.

But have you, or anyone else focused on the limited PC game selections at stores, ever really thought about why stores has such a small PC selection? It's because the primary distribution of games for PC has shifted from a physical medium to a digital one. Look at Steam, Origin, D2D, etc... why bother going to the store when you can purchase the game with a few clicks of a button (and sometimes for cheaper than a physical copy)? Even console games are slowly shifting towards digital distribution. More and more new and upcoming console games are or will be available for digital download directly onto the console as well as in physical format. We're living in a paradigm shift from physical to digital, not just in gaming but in other areas of life. Give it time (as in several years to a decade or so), and I bet that the only thing anyone will be able to find on console gaming shelves are new and used copies of sports games, shovelware, and the occasional lost, hidden gem from yesteryears.

A lot of indie developers are indeed also making the move to consoles. But guess where most of these guys experienced (and continue to experience) success? On PC. The PC has been around for a very long time and has seen its fair share of AAA and indie developers alike throughout the years. As long as there is a creative force within a community of PC gamers (which is practically always), I highly doubt that the number of indie titles are going to decline on PC. The quality, however, is another question and subjective to user tastes.

You mentioned mods, which is another strong point the PC has over consoles. But you "don't care" about them. I don't fault people for wanting to play games vanilla, but you're seriously underestimating just how wonderful modding can be. There's more to mods than "hotdog suits" and "zombie donkeys". Many games on PC have solid modding communities that can take a game and absolutely transform it into something else through enhanced graphics, audio, and gameplay. While some may not overhaul graphics, other mods can provide a very new and unique experience.

Look at Deus Ex and what the modding community gave rise to: The Nameless Mod. It's not possible to play TNM on the PS2 version of Deus Ex.
Look at TES: Oblivion and what the modding community gave rise to: Nehrim. It's not possible to play Nehrim on a 360 or PS3.
On the same note, the guys that did Nehrim are also working on another total conversion mod for Skyrim. But guess what? When it comes out, it can't be played on a 360 or PS3 either!
Look at STALKER, look at the Half-Life series, look at Mount & Blade, and countless other PC games that can be modded to one's desire.

You just can't do this kind of **** on consoles.

Modding aside, the only thing that really distinguishes any one system from another (aside from differing hardware here and there) are the system's functions and exclusives (which, like indie games, are subject to personal tastes). So, you get whatever system floats your boat. The bottom line is, even with average gaming hardware by today's standards and mods aside, PC gaming is just as viable as console gaming and should not be ruled out as "fraudulent". Don't let the lackluster PC games section at your local Best Buy fool you into thinking otherwise.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 heretrix

@NightlyOne said:
@Gargus said:

I agree with you on this: there are indeed millions of people playing PC games. A majority of them do indeed play their rinky-dink Flash games and Farmville. Anyone who attempts to cite those numbers for PC superiority is a fool, because everyone can use a computer and the number of computer users in comparison to computer gamers is highly skewed. A dog could learn how to use a computer if it had thumbs.

But have you, or anyone else focused on the limited PC game selections at stores, ever really thought about why stores has such a small PC selection? It's because the primary distribution of games for PC has shifted from a physical medium to a digital one. Look at Steam, Origin, D2D, etc... why bother going to the store when you can purchase the game with a few clicks of a button (and sometimes for cheaper than a physical copy)? Even console games are slowly shifting towards digital distribution. More and more new and upcoming console games are or will be available for digital download directly onto the console as well as in physical format. We're living in a paradigm shift from physical to digital, not just in gaming but in other areas of life. Give it time (as in several years to a decade or so), and I bet that the only thing anyone will be able to find on console gaming shelves are new and used copies of sports games, shovelware, and the occasional lost, hidden gem from yesteryears.

A lot of indie developers are indeed also making the move to consoles. But guess where most of these guys experienced (and continue to experience) success? On PC. The PC has been around for a very long time and has seen its fair share of AAA and indie developers alike throughout the years. As long as there is a creative force within a community of PC gamers (which is practically always), I highly doubt that the number of indie titles are going to decline on PC. The quality, however, is another question and subjective to user tastes.

You mentioned mods, which is another strong point the PC has over consoles. But you "don't care" about them. I don't fault people for wanting to play games vanilla, but you're seriously underestimating just how wonderful modding can be. There's more to mods than "hotdog suits" and "zombie donkeys". Many games on PC have solid modding communities that can take a game and absolutely transform it into something else through enhanced graphics, audio, and gameplay. While some may not overhaul graphics, other mods can provide a very new and unique experience.

Look at

Deus Ex

and what the modding community gave rise to:

The Nameless Mod

. It's not possible to play

TNM

on the PS2 version of

Deus Ex.

Look at

TES: Oblivion

and what the modding community gave rise to:

Nehrim.

It's not possible to play

Nehrim

on a 360 or PS3.

On the same note, the guys that did

Nehrim

are also working on another total conversion mod for

Skyrim

. But guess what? When it comes out, it can't be played on a 360 or PS3 either!

Look at

STALKER

, look at the

Half-Life

series, look at

Mount & Blade

, and countless other PC games that can be modded to one's desire.

You just can't do this kind of **** on consoles.

Modding aside, the only thing that really distinguishes any one system from another (aside from differing hardware here and there) are the system's functions and exclusives (which, like indie games, are subject to personal tastes). So, you get whatever system floats your boat. The bottom line is, even with average gaming hardware by today's standards and mods aside, PC gaming is just as viable as console gaming and should not be ruled out as "fraudulent". Don't let the lackluster PC games section at your local Best Buy fool you into thinking otherwise.

Lets give a mention to Fallout/Fallout NV.. It's quite possibly the most amazing mod community out there. Anyone that discounts the effect that modding has on the replayability of games is shorting themselves.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

@granddogg said:

Did you not see the PS4 tech analysis? Its locked at solid 60fps most of the time.. That means it could theoretically could be spiking at 70, 80fps.

And Dice has said how many times that PC was the lead platform for BF4, and the consoles get ports? All the advantages should be in the PC's corner, yet reviewers are too afraid to make a comparison using more reasonable PC hardware.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@granddogg said:

Did you not see the PS4 tech analysis? Its locked at solid 60fps most of the time.. That means it could theoretically could be spiking at 70, 80fps.

And Dice has said how many times that PC was the lead platform for BF4, and the consoles get ports? All the advantages should be in the PC's corner, yet reviewers are too afraid to make a comparison using more reasonable PC hardware.

why should they? they wanted to see how the PS4 looked relative to ultra graphics

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Why should the PC's have to stoop to the lower standards of consoles?

That's like screaming "Unfair!" when the clearly smaller guy gets his shit kicked in when fighting Tyson.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#87  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@Basinboy said:

You get what you pay for

not with a mac :P

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88  Edited By Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

You know what's a scam? Releasing new consoles and making your back library useless due to lack of backwards compatibility, forcing you to keep old hardware lying around if you want to play some older games. PC gaming may be more expensive (up front), but we get the better prices on games, more longevity out of our hardware, modular upgrades, the best online out of any platform (and it's free!), and our library doesn't become useless when we want to upgrade to the latest hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

I didn't read any of this.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By heretrix

@Merex760:

@Merex760 said:

You know what's a scam? Releasing new consoles and making your back library useless due to lack of backwards compatibility, forcing you to keep old hardware lying around if you want to play some older games. PC gaming may be more expensive (up front), but we get the better prices on games, more longevity out of our hardware, modular upgrades, the best online out of any platform (and it's free!), and our library doesn't become useless when we want to upgrade to the latest hardware.

seriously. I was so pissed when they said that not even the old controllers or headsets will work with the new systems. I'm really getting sick of how the consoles are making everything freaking disposable and yet they want to charge you a premium for everything. I'm all for new tech, but come on you can't even play the friggin PSN or XBLA titles on the new systems either? Telling people to keep the old systems is total bullshit because I don't want a freaking pile of consoles cluttering up my living room.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic

@heretrix said:

@Merex760:

@Merex760 said:

seriously. I was so pissed when they said that not even the old controllers or headsets will work with the new systems. I'm really getting sick of how the consoles are making everything freaking disposable and yet they want to charge you a premium for everything. I'm all for new tech, but come on you can't even play the friggin PSN or XBLA titles on the new systems either? Telling people to keep the old systems is total bullshit because I don't want a freaking pile of consoles cluttering up my living room.

Backwards compatibility is actually quite rare in gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

@Basinboy said:

You get what you pay for

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@Merex760:

@Merex760 said:

Not for PC though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic

@menes777 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@Merex760:

@Merex760 said:

Not for PC though.

Overall....though it is rare. Mentioning one gaming aspect doesn't change that. Though you really can't play all really old games on new PCs.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@menes777 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@Merex760:

@Merex760 said:

Not for PC though.

Overall....though it is rare. Mentioning one gaming aspect doesn't change that. Though you really can't play all really old games on new PCs.

DOSbox...

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@menes777 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@Merex760:

@Merex760 said:

Not for PC though.

?

Yes, you can.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

I still play original Tomb Raider games on Steam, and i have disc versions of Resident Evil 1 and 2 on PC which are rare as shit now.

All work fine on Windows 8 here.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

You're on a roll today, with the whole being wrong thing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LJS9502_basic

@Snugenz said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

You're on a roll today, with the whole being wrong thing.

Oh I'm wrong? Then let's list all the consoles ever created and add the PC to it. How many are backward compatible? No add ons. Not many that's for sure.