PC gaming hardware market worth $21.5 billion

  • 79 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by NoodleFighter (6963 posts) -

Happily dying since 1994

link

The report predicts that the PC gaming market will grow to to more than $23 billion by 2017, driven by the availability of increasingly powerful hardware that allows PCs to do things that consoles cannot. JPR President Jon Peddie noted that 4K gaming is already a reality for "highest-end" systems and said that even mass-market machines can now push 2560x1440 resolution, well beyond the 1080p resolution (1920x1080) offered by the latest consoles.

#2 Posted by BldgIrsh (1300 posts) -

May it RIP.

#3 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3658 posts) -

Steam machines are going to be a huge success

#lol

#4 Posted by clyde46 (44067 posts) -

Steam machines are going to be a huge success

#lol

Just another feather in companies like Alienwares cap. When will people get it through their dense skulls that a "Steambox" is nothing more than a pre-built machine that comes with the Steam OS instead of Windows....

#5 Edited by kweeni (10878 posts) -

The only people I hear still bring up that whole pc gaming is dying thing are pc gamers.

#6 Posted by blackace (20031 posts) -

Steam machines are going to be a huge success

#lol

LMAO!! No. Didn't you read the article in the link. The 21 billion is from PC gamers building their own rigs. They aren't thinking about SteamBox crap. I'm still trying to figure out how they seperated PC games from regular PC users who building their own PC's.

#7 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4133 posts) -

21.5B = 21 500 000 000 dollar market annually for pc gaming hardware at the moment

the same consumer buying power as 53 750 000 $399 console's per year.

#8 Edited by asylumni (2107 posts) -

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

#9 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -
@asylumni said:

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

Because that has nothing to do w/ gaming

#10 Edited by asylumni (2107 posts) -
@asylumni said:

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

Because that has nothing to do w/ gaming

PC's have nothing to do with gaming? Good to know.

#11 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6273 posts) -

@asylumni said:
@Jankarcop said:
@asylumni said:

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

Because that has nothing to do w/ gaming

PC's have nothing to do with gaming? Good to know.

Fairly sure it Means that although the PC market is declining due to tablets and such, the PC gaming segment is growing, since the average gamer needs better hardware then that cheap prebuilt box you can buy in a mall.

#12 Posted by asylumni (2107 posts) -

@asylumni said:
@Jankarcop said:
@asylumni said:

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

Because that has nothing to do w/ gaming

PC's have nothing to do with gaming? Good to know.

Fairly sure it Means that although the PC market is declining due to tablets and such, the PC gaming segment is growing, since the average gamer needs better hardware then that cheap prebuilt box you can buy in a mall.

Or, even more likely, it can mean that the market isn't growing in customers, the customers are just spending more.

#13 Posted by melonfarmerz (1103 posts) -

Of course. The PC market as a whole has been shrinking for quite some time but the PC gaming market has grown substantially.

Also, INB4 market doesn't matter when you can't play UC4.

#14 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2707 posts) -

Oh yeah? Well the Sony hardware market is worth 70 bajillion million dollars! Just ask Naughty Gods! Desmond! Pixels!

SDC

#15 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1995 posts) -

PC gaming hardware worth $21.5bn - twice that of console market

21.5 BILLION PC >>> 10 BILLION (PS4,PS3, VITA, 3DS,DS, WII U, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE)

OUCH

#16 Posted by AM-Gamer (3527 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: 2 consoles that make up the bulk of those sales have managed to match the world wide total of pc gaming in a mere 8 months. Just goes to show how strong console gaming is . Especially when some of those rigs cost 5x more then a single console.

#17 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

I guess I fall in the upgrade category. I spent $320 for a 4gb GTX 770 and $271 for an FX8350 and its motherboard. The rest, including the OS are carryovers from my 2009 PC.

#18 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@FreedomFreeLife: 2 consoles that make up the bulk of those sales have managed to match the world wide total of pc gaming in a mere 8 months. Just goes to show how strong console gaming is . Especially when some of those rigs cost 5x more then a single console.

So it takes 2 consoles to barely touch PC?

You should work for Fox News. Dat' spin.

#19 Posted by Liquid_ (2363 posts) -

i paid 800$ for my beast pc which is the equivalent to two ps4s or fives x1s

#20 Posted by kitty (114492 posts) -

I guess I fall in the upgrade category. I spent $320 for a 4gb GTX 770 and $271 for an FX8350 and its motherboard. The rest, including the OS are carryovers from my 2009 PC.

I spent $250 for my cpu and got a nice deal on my mobo. I only paid $100. Though it was going for $160 at the time.

#21 Posted by IgGy621985 (4603 posts) -

Well of course it's worth that much since you have to upgrade your PC every six months lolololo

#22 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

It'll be fun watching consolites bickering over 1080p when a lot of PC gamers will move to 1440p or higher resolutions this gen.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

PC gaming hardware worth $21.5bn - twice that of console market

21.5 BILLION PC >>> 10 BILLION (PS4,PS3, VITA, 3DS,DS, WII U, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE)

OUCH

I need to remember to quote that next time someone says something stupid like: "PC has nothing but indies/games that no one cares about"

#24 Posted by xdrjx (55 posts) -

Well of course it's worth that much since you have to upgrade your PC every six months lolololo

What are you talking. You need to upgrade from game to game, well except for every game, like when I run DA:O on my grannies Z1.

#25 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16498 posts) -

Pretty exciting. But anyone trying to claim sales over the current gen of consoles is being a bit silly.

#26 Posted by clyde46 (44067 posts) -

I guess I fall in the upgrade category. I spent $320 for a 4gb GTX 770 and $271 for an FX8350 and its motherboard. The rest, including the OS are carryovers from my 2009 PC.

We're all in the upgrade category.

#27 Edited by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

@asylumni said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@asylumni said:
@Jankarcop said:
@asylumni said:

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

Because that has nothing to do w/ gaming

PC's have nothing to do with gaming? Good to know.

Fairly sure it Means that although the PC market is declining due to tablets and such, the PC gaming segment is growing, since the average gamer needs better hardware then that cheap prebuilt box you can buy in a mall.

Or, even more likely, it can mean that the market isn't growing in customers, the customers are just spending more.

At the very least the PCgaming market is growing, the number of people who spend big bucks on upgrades is. They might just be casual pc users expading their horizons, but I think it's likely some of them are also console users doing the same thing.

#28 Posted by parkurtommo (26104 posts) -

I guess I fall in the upgrade category. I spent $320 for a 4gb GTX 770 and $271 for an FX8350 and its motherboard. The rest, including the OS are carryovers from my 2009 PC.

Jeez dude $320? a 770 around here costs more than 500 euros...

#29 Edited by IgGy621985 (4603 posts) -

@xdrjx said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Well of course it's worth that much since you have to upgrade your PC every six months lolololo

What are you talking. You need to upgrade from game to game, well except for every game, like when I run DA:O on my grannies Z1.

PC gaming is dead. Everyone knows that.

#30 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I guess I fall in the upgrade category. I spent $320 for a 4gb GTX 770 and $271 for an FX8350 and its motherboard. The rest, including the OS are carryovers from my 2009 PC.

Jeez dude $320? a 770 around here costs more than 500 euros...

A 4gb GTX 770 is normally US$400 at newegg.com. But, I found out that newegg.com periodically lowers the price unannounced. You have to catch them during such times. I caught mine (MSI 4gb GTX 770) during Memorial Day. The following day, its price went back up to $360 then $380 then $390, and finally $400.

Right now, a Gigabyte R9 290 is $370. I don't know how long that will last. I'd stick with my GTX 770 though because of the cooling constraints of my microATX minitower case.

#31 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I guess I fall in the upgrade category. I spent $320 for a 4gb GTX 770 and $271 for an FX8350 and its motherboard. The rest, including the OS are carryovers from my 2009 PC.

We're all in the upgrade category.

True. But, console gamers would rather wish we were all newbies so we have to pay for a full PC rather than parts.

#32 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (997 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I guess I fall in the upgrade category. I spent $320 for a 4gb GTX 770 and $271 for an FX8350 and its motherboard. The rest, including the OS are carryovers from my 2009 PC.

Jeez dude $320? a 770 around here costs more than 500 euros...

500? Damm that's expensive. Here, GTX 770's cost about 300 euros, with a 4GB going up to 360.

#33 Posted by gameofthering (10094 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

It'll be fun watching consolites bickering over 1080p when a lot of PC gamers will move to 1440p or higher resolutions this gen.

Is there a big noticeable difference between 1080P and 1440P?

#34 Posted by clyde46 (44067 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

It'll be fun watching consolites bickering over 1080p when a lot of PC gamers will move to 1440p or higher resolutions this gen.

Is there a big noticeable difference between 1080P and 1440P?

Yes. However it also taxes your hardware more.

#35 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@gameofthering said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

It'll be fun watching consolites bickering over 1080p when a lot of PC gamers will move to 1440p or higher resolutions this gen.

Is there a big noticeable difference between 1080P and 1440P?

Yes. However it also taxes your hardware more.

If anything I would jump straight to 4K if I have the hardware and once screens start becoming affordable :P

@gameofthering There is a noticale difference between all these resolutions:

720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p

#36 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3961 posts) -

I thought there would be a load of cows in here talking about 'bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu'.

#37 Edited by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

I'll be making the switch to 1440p once ASUS releases that new gsync monitor. Cant wait.

This is the one. The PG278Q. 1440p, 144hz, gsync. Beautiful.

Hm.. ps: When uploading a pic does small, medium, large dictate the pictures size or its resolution?

#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

@asylumni said:

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

Because that has nothing to do w/ gaming

What?

#39 Posted by clyde46 (44067 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@clyde46 said:

@gameofthering said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

It'll be fun watching consolites bickering over 1080p when a lot of PC gamers will move to 1440p or higher resolutions this gen.

Is there a big noticeable difference between 1080P and 1440P?

Yes. However it also taxes your hardware more.

If anything I would jump straight to 4K if I have the hardware and once screens start becoming affordable :P

@gameofthering There is a noticale difference between all these resolutions:

720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p

I would get a good quailty 1440p panel now. 4K is only really good for gaming and/or video editing. Windows has a horrible time dealing with DPI on those massive 4K displays.

#40 Posted by AzatiS (7151 posts) -

Steam machines are going to be a huge success

#lol

Steam machines wont , PC gaming is going strong though and thats what matters most.

#41 Edited by clyde46 (44067 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

I'll be making the switch to 1440p once ASUS releases that new gsync monitor. Cant wait.

This is the one. The PG278Q. 1440p, 144hz, gsync. Beautiful.

Hm.. ps: When uploading a pic does small, medium, large dictate the pictures size or its resolution?

Thats like £700. Fuck that.

#42 Posted by AzatiS (7151 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@clyde46 said:

@gameofthering said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

It'll be fun watching consolites bickering over 1080p when a lot of PC gamers will move to 1440p or higher resolutions this gen.

Is there a big noticeable difference between 1080P and 1440P?

Yes. However it also taxes your hardware more.

If anything I would jump straight to 4K if I have the hardware and once screens start becoming affordable :P

@gameofthering There is a noticale difference between all these resolutions:

720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p

I would get a good quailty 1440p panel now. 4K is only really good for gaming and/or video editing. Windows has a horrible time dealing with DPI on those massive 4K displays.


Its not the right time to go 4K. 2-3 years from now it will

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

@AzatiS said:
@clyde46 said:

I would get a good quailty 1440p panel now. 4K is only really good for gaming and/or video editing. Windows has a horrible time dealing with DPI on those massive 4K displays.

Its not the right time to go 4K. 2-3 years from now it will

Agreed. But everyone has to make that up for themselves of course :)

I currently have a 2560x1080 display and I'm very happy with it. But I'm talking down the line, 2-3 years from now, when I have hardware that can handle it flawlessly and the prices for screens went down, I'll look into getting a 4K monitor.

#44 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3679 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@Motokid6 said:

I'll be making the switch to 1440p once ASUS releases that new gsync monitor. Cant wait.

This is the one. The PG278Q. 1440p, 144hz, gsync. Beautiful.

Hm.. ps: When uploading a pic does small, medium, large dictate the pictures size or its resolution?

Thats like £700. Fuck that.

Yeah... I was waiting for them to come out so I can see one in person and in all honesty. I would much rather get a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 display over this.

I played around with one at the Overclockers store. G-Sync is not as revolutionary as people built it up to be.

Image quality + Aspect ratio > G-Sync + TN

That's a personal preference of course.

#45 Posted by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

@clyde46: Considering what you get.. $700 isn't too bad. There's alot cheaper 1440 monitors out there, but not 144gz gsync.

I can't really say it's $700 though.. thinking about a new gpu to power it as well. Possibly sli 780s. I'm a bit of an enthusiast so my first sli setup excites me.

#46 Posted by clyde46 (44067 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@clyde46: Considering what you get.. $700 isn't too bad. There's alot cheaper 1440 monitors out there, but not 144gz gsync.

I can't really say it's $700 though.. thinking about a new gpu to power it as well. Possibly sli 780s. I'm a bit of an enthusiast so my first sli setup excites me.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AS

£700, not $700.

#47 Edited by blackace (20031 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:
@asylumni said:

Strange this quote didn't make the cut,

"not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs."

Because that has nothing to do w/ gaming

My only question is. "How do they know all these rigs are being buiilt for gaming?" You can build the same kind of rig for creating films, architecture, animation, etc... How did they know who was doing what with all the hardware?

**********************************************************************

Oh yeah? Well the Sony hardware market is worth 70 bajillion million dollars! Just ask Naughty Gods! Desmond! Pixels!

SDC

Right and that's why Sony had to sell 2 HQ buildings and dump their PC/Laptop division just to save enough money to launch the PS4. lol!! Several Naughty Dog employees jumped ship as well.

#48 Edited by Gue1 (9424 posts) -

that free 2 play money is nothing to brag about. PC gaming is basically all about hand me down ports from consoles anyway. Stay mad herms....

#49 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (997 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

that free 2 play money is nothing to brag about. PC gaming is basically all about hand me down ports from consoles anyway. Stay mad herms....

I know you tend to make moronic posts, but it's in the title. -hardware-

#50 Posted by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

@clyde46: Yea I think it's $799. Is what I'm seeing now anyway. I could just wait until the holidays for a price drop maybe, but.. this whole thing with waiting when it comes to PC hardware.. just doesn't work out.